• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

The windows 8 app store is region locked, right? Is there any workaround for that?
You can go to Control Panel and change your location from there. The store will then reflect the region you chose. However, if you are actually trying to purchase something (so, not a free app), you need to input your payment details again. I haven't been game to purchase from another region, as I don't know whether MS cares or not and it's probably not the best idea to lie about where you live when it comes to using credit cards/Paypal. Region lock is so dumb.

Blackhead

Redarse
You can go to Control Panel and change your location from there. The store will then reflect the region you chose. However, if you are actually trying to purchase something (so, not a free app), you need to input your payment details again. I haven't been game to purchase from another region, as I don't know whether MS cares or not and it's probably not the best idea to lie about where you live when it comes to using credit cards/Paypal. Region lock is so dumb.

Thanks! I'm just looking for some free apps for now. By the way, my default Metro UI apps keep showing up in French or Spanish. I haven't changed the region yet and the language differences stick even after uninstalling and redownloading from the Microsoft App Store. It's getting annoying

Alpha_eX

This is frustrating me so much, Xbox Music and Windows Media Player.

In past versions of Windows I have been able to use a mini player on the task bar, why can't I enable this on WMP or Xbox Music? Do they really expect me to open the full screen app to change track or pause my music?

Tried to find a solution but Google has not been helpful, only showing how to right click and add it to the task bar, but it's not there to choose from. Rather not put iTunes on but it's looking that way, or WinAmp.

Retrocide

In past versions of Windows I have been able to use a mini player on the task bar, why can't I enable this on WMP or Xbox Music? Do they really expect me to open the full screen app to change track or pause my music?

Tried to find a solution but Google has not been helpful, only showing how to right click and add it to the task bar, but it's not there to choose from. Rather not put iTunes on but it's looking that way, or WinAmp.

If you have hardware volume keys it brings up an overlay to choose your next song when you adjust. If you don't hardware volume keys you likely can adjut the valume using some sort of combination of function keys. It also gives you the option to pause or go back.

Do you have any hardware keys for changing volume? If you're playing music through Xbox Music and adjust the volume that way, it pops up a OSD with the option to pause/play, skip forward, and skip backward.

volume-controls.png

EDIT: Beaten, but I have a picture. :p

Alpha_eX

Do you have any hardware keys for changing volume? If you're playing music through Xbox Music and you use a media key, it pops up a OSD with the option to pause/play, skip forward, and skip backward.

search

Would prefer the mini player back to be honest but thanks for that tip, didn't know it.

Any one know how to do it? It's a shame because I use desktop mode a lot with WMP.

EDIT: The XMB pop up is nice, I keep volume on 100 and use it to just pop that overlay up.

f0lken

Would prefer the mini player back to be honest but thanks for that tip, didn't know it.

Any one know how to do it? It's a shame because I use desktop mode a lot with WMP.

I used SharpKeys to map the volume and play buttons to keys I never use on my PC keyboard

EDIT: The XMB pop up is nice, I keep volume on 100 and use it to just pop that overlay up.

If you hover over the taskbar icon for WMP, it shows the same controls. Also, switching to now playing will make it mini.

Alpha_eX

If you hover over the taskbar icon for WMP, it shows the same controls. Also, switching to now playing will make it mini.

I don't want to hover over it though, I just want the mini player like I had in Windows 7, is there no way to get it? I think the default install is broken, because doing a search for "Windows Media Player" doesn't bring up anything, but "wmplayer" does.

It takes me out of something if I can't quickly click a button on screen, hovering takes a few seconds and the Xbox Music volume thing leaves a rather large player over my screen for a bit.

I don't want to hover over it though, I just want the mini player like I had in Windows 7, is there no way to get it? I think the default install is broken, because doing a search for "Windows Media Player" doesn't bring up anything, but "wmplayer" does.

It takes me out of something if I can't quickly click a button on screen, hovering takes a few seconds and the Xbox Music volume thing leaves a rather large player over my screen for a bit.

Like I said, pressing now playing (icon in bottom right corner) goes to a mini player.

I've uploaded a print screen, no option to.

I've just noticed now that search is borked, I do a search for "calculator" and the app doesn't show up, same for "paint" and "windows media player". Really frustrating, not sure what's going wrong.

Bottom right corner of your library view in WMP. Looks like this when you press it:

As far as search is concerned, when you search in the app category, it will only search within your "programs", shortcut folder. So if for some reason you don't have shortcuts there, you won't find them.

Alpha_eX

Thanks for the help but now I've got a much bigger issue, search won't pick up applications on my C drive, such as calculator, paint, windows media player.

Incredibly frustrating, think I'm just going to do a new install. Can't find any solutions on Google.

Edit: can't even do that, missing the files I used to install that were on a flash drive I have since formatted.

Thanks for the help but now I've got a much bigger issue, search won't pick up applications on my C drive, such as calculator, paint, windows media player.

Incredibly frustrating, think I'm just going to do a new install. Can't find any solutions on Google.

Edit: can't even do that, missing the files I used to install that were on a flash drive I have since formatted.

You didn't run any tune up programs did you? Some of them will disable search indexing as a way to improve performance.

MooMoo

In the Windows Store, when you're looking at your apps you can filter based on apps installed on all PCs, current PC, etc. Is there any way to remove a particular PC from that list?

MCD

What is the best internet radio to use with Windows 8? My laptop came with iHeart Radio preinstalled, but I don't care for it.

TuneIn Radio?

In the Windows Store, when you're looking at your apps you can filter based on apps installed on all PCs, current PC, etc. Is there any way to remove a particular PC from that list?

Store --> Charms Bar (Settings) --> Accounts

MooMoo

Store --> Charms Bar (Settings) --> Accounts
Thanks!

Edit: Does anyone know if this is normal? When I run something that has a UAC popup, I tap yes with my pen, keeping the pen close to the screen. The application runs/I return back to desktop but the screen no longer accepts any input from the pen. I have to physically move the pen away from the screen before the little pointer icon for it shows up again. The same kind of issue happens if I tap the application's icon in the taskbar -> keep pen close to screen -> attempt to click yes on UAC prompt; the screen stops accepting anything from the pen until I move it away/bring it back to the screen.

Sure wastes a lot of screen space for "once we release our Twitter app, it will be the best".

Other than that, it looks nice. Toast and tile notifications, fast, looks good in snapped view.

dLMN8R

I love that the snapped twitter app updates automatically.

Anyway, I have the Twitter app snapped. And then through habit I navigated to the twitter.com web site to see what's new

:-/

[edit] GOD DAMN IT i did it again.

GTI Guy

Odd situation that I figure someone on GAF knows the answer.

I have a friend who has installed Adobe Reader for PDFs and set it to the default reader. On occasion he says that he has some weird files that do not open right in adobe but work fine in the W8 Reader app. Thing is when you click the app and choose to 'open with' it is impossible to find the damn program.

Anyone know where the reader app may be hiding so it can be selected in the open with option?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

I have a friend who has installed Adobe Reader for PDFs and set it to the default reader. On occasion he says that he has some weird files that do not open right in adobe but work fine in the W8 Reader app. Thing is when you click the app and choose to 'open with' it is impossible to find the damn program.

Anyone know where the reader app may be hiding so it can be selected in the open with option?
Search for default programs under apps.

surly

Banned

If you go to "Open with", then "Choose default program", Reader is listed there. Just uncheck the box to always open files with it, open a file with it, then it should appear under the regular "Open with" menu in future.

GTI Guy

If you go to "Open with", then "Choose default program", Reader is listed there. Just uncheck the box to always open files with it, open a file with it, then it should appear under the regular "Open with" menu in future.

You know what I see that too. I'm going to go back to my friend and see what the hell he is talking about.

The snap view is good, but that's pretty damn obvious execution.

The full view mode is an incredible waste of space and limited functionality. I really hate twitters war on 3rd party apps.

clav

Windows Update leaves behind a lot of files.

The built-in system disk cleanup tool does a great job of removing them.

I suppose it is removing the hotfix uninstallers.

Nice. I miss that from Windows XP.

Rootbeer

Banned
Windows Update leaves behind a lot of files.

The built-in system disk cleanup tool does a great job of removing them.

I suppose it is removing the hotfix uninstallers.

Nice. I miss that from Windows XP.
Dang I hadn't checked my windows update cache from there in a while. I just freed up about 900mb! On a SSD this really makes a difference :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Snapped view in the twitter app is indeed godlike, but I hate how you can't refresh manually properly because its made for touch screens :|

Top Bottom