• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

nan0

There won't be Windows 9 - Windows Blue, man!
Also thanks :)

There'll still be a Windows 9, it's targeted (rumor) for RTM at the end of 2014. Windows Blue will just be an incremental Update to 8. Like a Service Pack but with quicker release cycles.

dLMN8R

I'm not going to tell you what's right and what's wrong about various rumors around the web about future releases of Windows, but I do highly suggest that you ignore everything that Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott have said on the subject. Some of the stuff they've said is just so hilariously inaccurate that I have to believe Microsoft PR is deliberately giving them false information for the fun of it.

SPDIF

Well it doesn't need to be an actual Win 8 app, just a regular application will do.

Oh ok. I did a quick search for a simple program to do what you want, but couldn't find anything. But like Koroviev said, you should be able to do it with a simple batch file.

If you need help with that then just let me know. Though I'm on a tablet so can't really test anything right now.

popeutlal

Oh ok. I did a quick search for a simple program to do what you want, but couldn't find anything. But like Koroviev said, you should be able to do it with a simple batch file.

If you need help with that then just let me know. Though I'm on a tablet so can't really test anything right now.
If you could help that'll be awesome, the reason I need to disconnect the wifi is that on my tablet the wifi does not disconnect when it's sleeping....which drains all the battery.

nan0

Thanks for that. But is there a way to auto disconnect WiFi on sleep and reconnect on wake. There are so many ways to do this on Android...none on Windows.

Easiest way is to do it with the task scheduler, there should be a trigger for "On workstation unlock" or so which activates every time you unlock your computer. Which should be the case if you wake up from sleep and enter your password.

For the "on sleep" case you probably have to make a trigger for an event. Just look through the event log if there is an event that runs consistently when the computer goes to sleep, a quick look in my log shows that "Power Troubleshooter" could work.

Might not be a windows 8 issue, but apparently filezilla shows hidden files in the local file browser window.. which is kinda annoying since it'll transfer hidden files..

Anyone else had such an issue?

(Can't remember having this with previous windows, hence I post it here)

Is it too soon to write the Windows Store off as a flop? From the infamous 100,000 apps in the first three months to barely 44,000 apps in February, with only 4000 new ones in that month and no interest from big devs. It's been over 5 months since twitter announced their official app for Windows 8 and Facebook still doesn't care, not to mention the indie devs.

Is it too soon to write the Windows Store off as a flop? From the infamous 100,000 apps in the first three months to barely 44,000 apps in February, with only 4000 new ones in that month and no interest from big devs. It's been over 5 months since twitter announced their official app for Windows 8 and Facebook still doesn't care, not to mention the indie devs.

its a pretty big flop at this point. they can still turn it around, but with slow adoption rate, this will take time. not the best situation for microsoft to be in.

clav

Yeah Xbox 720 is not here.

its a pretty big flop at this point. they can still turn it around, but with slow adoption rate, this will take time. not the best situation for microsoft to be in.
A slow burn for sure. But those of us who weren't snuggled up inside MS' ass saw this coming. They were much more bullish than anyone really believed.

Oh well. Metro Netflix is still great.

clav

I guess I'm one of few people who still use AMD processors. Like their low-powered processor lineup. Whole system consumes 25 watts and idles 15 watts.

Interesting update regarding microcode that was pushed out yesterday. AMD only.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2818604

The description doesn't say much about it.

Anony

so, i'm thinking to getting the complete warranty

right now, i'm noticing that there is pretty bad backlight leaks, they probably wont let me replace it
so if i get the complete warranty, i'll just 'accidentally' drop it, and replace it, but that time maybe they'll have fixed the backlight leaking

i know it's a pretty bad thing to do, but i'm honestly not satisfied with the screen if i know it's possible to get a better one

thoughts?

Koroviev

As a desktop user, I really couldn't care less about the integrated app store. Removing all of the tiles from the start screen other than the desktop is the first thing I do whenever I'm working on a fresh install. No desktop icons, only Waterfox and Steam on the task bar, and a few hardware monitoring programs on the start screen.

Lynn616

Not a flop for me. I love having the added apps. Over time the apps will come. Devs cant ignore Windows 8 when it hits 100 Million or 200 Million installs.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Not a flop for me. I love having the added apps. Over time the apps will come. Devs cant ignore Windows 8 when it hits 100 Million or 200 Million installs.

Why target something as widely hated as Metro when you can target the much wider userbase of Window 7 and 8 with legacy desktop applications? - The store alone was never going to be enough for devs to make up for the drawbacks of developing for Metro.

Lynn616

Devs can easily ignore the app store and target 200 million Win8 installs and 600+ million Win 7 installs with one application.

Why target something as widely hated as Metro when you can target the much wider userbase of Window 7 and 8 with legacy desktop applications? - The store alone was never going to be enough for devs to make up for the drawbacks of developing for Metro.

Making a dedicated app for the main store of an OS that will have an install base in the 100s of millions would be good to have in addition to any desktop app the developer might have.

Samsung sees the future, discontinues Ativ RT.

Samsung reps who are attending the CeBIT trade show in Germany this week reportedly told the media outlet Heise.de of their plans to stop selling the Windows RT tablet . The company said it made the decision after a survey of retailers indicated there was little demand for selling the tablet. Some stores might still have a few units of the Samsung ATIV RT on store shelves, but once they are gone, that will likely be it in terms of supplies.
http://www.neowin.net/news/is-samsung-pulling-the-plug-on-its-windows-rt-tablet

Azih

Devs can easily ignore the app store and target 200 million Win8 installs and 600+ million Win 7 installs with one application.

MS really needs to get Windows Blue in action if it really does what should have been done in the first place and tie the Windows Phone Store and the Windows Store together. There's value in writing one app and having it be available on phone, tablet, and desktop. Isn't that the point of Blue?

MS really needs to get Windows Blue in action if it really does what should have been done in the first place and tie the Windows Phone Store and the Windows Store together. There's value in writing one app and having it be available on phone, tablet, and desktop. Isn't that the point of Blue?

Cross out the desktop part and you got it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

that would be a massive selling point for them. universal apps are the shit.

Azih

Cross out the desktop part and you got it.

Well I kinda include Windows 8 running on desktop PCs as 'desktop' I guess I should have said phone, tablet, and laptop/PC to be more clear.
It'd be like being able to use your iPhone apps on the iPad AND on your Macbook.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Xbox as well.

Vyer

Maybe they're waiting for the new Xbox? A dumb tactic possibly, but well....

Making a dedicated app for the main store of an OS that will have an install base in the 100s of millions would be good to have in addition to any desktop app the developer might have.

If the money/support isn't there that's not enough justification for devs to devote resources. With the desktop there as the (primary) alternative, install base numbers might not be enough.

PG2G

If the money/support isn't there that's not enough justification for devs to devote resources. With the desktop there as the (primary) alternative, install base numbers might not be enough.

I think the accessibility and visibility that an app store provides will be beneficial to a lot of smaller developers.

If you look at indie games for example, as a desktop app you typically have to go out searching for them which isn't something your typical casual will do. The same game could get a lot more visibility in some sort of store.

Jobiensis

Yes, and the app stores have royalties associated with them. Nothing specifically to do with Microsoft (because they are following in this case), but app stores are not a good thing for small developers.

Microsoft has been saying it for years.

I still don't understand the purpose of double dipping purchases as that's why I haven't bought anything from the Windows store yet outside of Xbox.

Because they're different SKUs? You don't expect to get Call of Duty (PC) for free, just because you bought the Xbox version, do you?

MCD

http://www.neowin.net/news/stardock...d-resize-modern-windows-8-apps-on-the-desktop

lLiVgZ0.jpg

Basically, ModernMix allows Windows 8 owners to run all of the Modern apps such as Netflix, Xbox Music and more on the desktop, along with the ability to resize those apps in a window. You can even pre-set the Modern app window sizes so they stay the same size every time you launch the app. You can also pin the Modern apps on the desktop taskbar for a quick launch. Finally, the Modern apps running under ModernMix have minimal, maximum and close buttons on top, just like regular desktop Windows programs.

This is huge.

MCD

Trying Start 8 from Stardock and I gotta say...

I don't miss this start menu at all.

Trying Decor8 next.

MCD

Decor8 is FUCK AWESOME.

Shame Sinofsky was against this. Fading helps making tiles more on center so I dunno WTF he and his team were thinking.

MCD

ModernMix is GAME CHANGER.

It just works. Everything you download from the app store is windowed and can be resized however you see fit.

Team Sinofsky, FOR SHAME.

Top Bottom