• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah, you can pin it from the start menu. Seems like a rather strange thing to pin, though.

That was what he asked LOL

Guys what's the quickest way to get to Devices and Printers in W8? Can you pin that somehow to the start menu or is there a keyboard shortcut?

Burger

So I put Skype on my Windows 8 PC at home.

Log in to work account, to do some... work. Get some weird message about merging my Live account with my Skype account. Now I can't even log out of Skype without logging out of my PC?!?

WTF? Who thought this would be a clever fucking idea?

Burger

So I put Skype on my Windows 8 PC at home.

Log in to work account, to do some... work. Get some weird message about merging my Live account with my Skype account. Now I can't even log out of Skype without logging out of my PC?!?

WTF? Who thought this would be a clever fucking idea?

I fixed this stupid issue by unlinking my accounts on skype.com

Whoever thought a fullscreen only messaging client was a bright idea is retarded.

glaurung

The Metro version of Skype is all kinds of fucked up.

There is no way of understanding that it is still running, even after you close it down by swiping it down the usual way.

Fucked up design shittiness.

Desktop version for life.

Burger

Don't pretend like you don't know about the desktop version.

I had no idea. I assumed Skype on the Windows store would be the same as the Skype I use on my Mac.

It was only when looking at the Skype help/forums that they mentioned the Desktop version. (I use a Mac at work and for a long time have used a MBP at home, this is a new desktop PC).

Swag

How do I add my google account to the mail application? Created a unique password for Windows 8 but it doesn't seem to accept it, and it doesn't accept my Google password either, doesn't give an option to put in my authenticator code either.

I'm confused.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
How do I add my google account to the mail application? Created a unique password for Windows 8 but it doesn't seem to accept it, and it doesn't accept my Google password either, doesn't give an option to put in my authenticator code either.

I'm confused.

To add an account enter the mail app>charms>settings>account>add account

That's it. You do the same thing for other windows 8 app. Settings change depending on the app you're in it's pretty cool.

Not sure about the other ones.

dojokun

Banned

I'm confused.
Do you have Google Apps by any chance? I tried to add my Google Apps email account and it was not taking my password. After lots of googling I finally figured out that the password it first asks you for is the password to your Google Apps account password, which is different than the password to the email account that you have through Google Apps.

Esiquio

So I got a new mobo + RAM, and after I got it all loaded up and running, Windows 8 Pro was telling me that my copy was already activated and being used. I clicked on Phone Activation, called in, pressed no buttons (which transfers you to a real person) and told them my situation. They said I could just overwrite the previous license, and gave me a code to enter. It worked perfectly and was done in less than ten minutes. Not a bad way to handle licenses, I thought it would be a nightmare. At least with Office 2013 you can de/activate through a website, but I didn't mind the phone process. Just an FYI to any Gaffers who are doing some major hardware updates...

Danj

Does anyone here use Windows 8 Enterprise on a tablet on a domain at their workplace? Are there any little gotchas or glitches with this kind of setup? My boss wants to do a trial tablet programme in one area of my workplace this year and the only thing I could come up with that met all his requirements was Windows 8 tablets.

clav

Does anyone here use Windows 8 Enterprise on a tablet on a domain at their workplace? Are there any little gotchas or glitches with this kind of setup? My boss wants to do a trial tablet programme in one area of my workplace this year and the only thing I could come up with that met all his requirements was Windows 8 tablets.

I'm not familiar with Enterprise IT (hoping my next job will be in the IT sector).

You will need Windows Pro tablets and a Windows Server 2012 setup, so that is your up front cost.

There are 60-day (or was it 90 day) free trials of all software for your IT admin to setup on Microsoft's website.

--------------

In other news, Windows Blue rumored to be Windows 8 SP1, bringing tweaks to Metro, upping the kernel to 6.3, introducing 7" and 8" form factors, bundling IE11, and accumulating bug fixes. Launches in August 2013.

It's the same thing as a PC, so any gotchas would be the same there as well.

dLMN8R

Yeah, Windows 8 Enterprise is identical to Windows 8 Pro for all intents and purposes, so it'll just act like a normal PC fully compatible with whatever IT administration needs to happen.

How old is her computer? My is a pretty old computer with pretty old hardware so i'm guessing that's the reason for mine lagging a bit.

I believe almost as recent as a laptop can be.
She got it about a week ago, its an Asus, so maybe its the brand, I know shit all about laptops.

dLMN8R

What the fuck, the screen's backlight in my wife's Acer Aspire S7 just stopped working yesterday. Anyone heard of this happening? No drops, bumps, spills, or random keyboard shortcuts did it.

The S7 is such a well-built machine, but apparently it still has shit build quality issues like this. God dammit, Microsoft Store you'd better not disappoint us with the return/exchange process....

Jzero

What the fuck, the screen's backlight in my wife's Acer Aspire S7 just stopped working yesterday. Anyone heard of this happening? No drops, bumps, spills, or random keyboard shortcuts did it.

The S7 is such a well-built machine, but apparently it still has shit build quality issues like this. God dammit, Microsoft Store you'd better not disappoint us with the return/exchange process....
Well... Acer is not really known for quality.

Try checking that she didn't accidentally turn off the backlight though.

dLMN8R

She didn't, there's a keyboard shortcut to do something like that but that's not what happened.

Ugh, I have to navigate around it by holding a flashlight up to the screen to see dark and otherwise-incomprehensible graphics....at least the touch screen still works?

What the fuck, the screen's backlight in my wife's Acer Aspire S7

Well there's your problem. Acer is synonymous with crappy hardware. Why do you think they can undercut the competition's prices with similar specs?

I bought an Acer Travelmate laptop circa 2004/05, the backlight crapped out on me within 8 months, the replacement had a premature overheating problem. Turned out the entire line was recalled for a critical design flaw exposed only during prolonged use by consumers.

Never again did I purchase an Acer product.

dLMN8R

Well there's your problem. Acer is synonymous with crappy hardware. Why do you think they can undercut the competition's prices with similar specs?

I bought an Acer Travelmate laptop circa 2004/05, the backlight crapped out on me within 8 months, the replacement had a premature overheating problem. Turned out the entire line was recalled for a critical design flaw exposed only during prolonged use by consumers.

Never again did I purchase an Acer product.

The Acer Aspire S7 is an extremely well-reviewed, solidly built, and expensive computer. It's not undercutting anything and from all indications it was a high quality machine.

Apparently not.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Remote Desktop stopped working again! And of course when I'm at home so I cannot fix it. This is like the 3rd time. I Remote Desktop into my Win8 PC and the screen is black. I can Remote Desktop to a Win7 PC at work and then from there Remote Desktop to Win8 and same behavior so it's not my home PC.

I'm probably going to find my PC at work unable to reboot, even if I give it the DOS style cmd it just won't do it. I'll resolve it by yanking the power plug (what other choice do I have?) and then it will magically be fine.

The Acer Aspire S7 is an extremely well-reviewed, solidly built, and expensive computer. It's not undercutting anything and from all indications it was a high quality machine.

Apparently not.

Just exchange for another brand or another S7 which is as you said one of the best last year.

maeh2k

Can happen to any machine. Unless it happens frequently it doesn't point to general build quality issues.
I suspect it's rather easy to repair. Probably better to have it repaired than to just exchange to keep the data in place.

I've got 2 USB HDDs hooked up to the USB sockets on the front of my PC. Never had any trouble with them before, but since upgrading to Win 8 they keep randomly disconnecting. It happens at least once every two days, sometimes more frequently than that.

The only way to get it to see them again is to unplug them, reboot and then plug them back in after the PC has rebooted.

It's a massive pain in the arse as my PC is in my basement and it always happens when I'm moving files around.

Anyone got any idea what's up? Everything seems fine, and all of a sudden a message pops up in the corner saying "unrecognised USB device" and a moan about no longer being able to identify the drives.

Jzero

Man i hate these damn NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE Blue screens. I really hope it's my shitty old video card and not Windows 8.

Lynn616

Steam Hardware & Software Survey: February 2013

sozkOgl.png

Windows 8 passes XP. Now second place. I dont see it ever passing Windows 7.

Zia

Hey guys. Mac user here. I'm wanting to get a copy of Windows. I actually prefer 7, because a lot of stuff I like won't run properly on 8, but there's no Windows 7 OT. What's the best (ie cheapest) route? Saw where an OEM disc of Professional is still like $140 on Newegg and that seems a little absurd to me. Do I have better options?

Top Bottom