• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

jsrv

About Skype Metro...
Is it just me or does it not support joining existing group calls? My brother tried to use it to join a group call but couldn't figure it out and gave up in the end...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
gnr0mgz.jpg

http://www.neowin.net/news/statcoun...alled-on-377-percent-of-pcs-that-surf-the-web

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So apparently you can swipe up on a desktop taskbar app icon and it brings up the right click menu. Pretty cool.

Got a new PC, its an All-In-One HP model. Having trouble connecting bluetooth devices and I realised that, in Settings, there is no Wireless menu. Checking screenshots it should be below Devices.

Help?

Jzero

Got a new PC, its an All-In-One HP model. Having trouble connecting bluetooth devices and I realised that, in Settings, there is no Wireless menu. Checking screenshots it should be below Devices.

Help?
Well your computer has to have built in Bluetooth in the first place so check that.

For me a little Bluetooth icon appears in the taskbar when i plug in my dongle.

You can also search for "Bluetooth" in the start screen.

Well your computer has to have built in Bluetooth in the first place so check that.

For me a little Bluetooth icon appears in the taskbar when i plug in my dongle.

You can also search for "Bluetooth" in the start screen.

For clarification, as I've barely never used a bluetooth device on a PC before: do you need some kind of USB receiver slot inside first?

I don't have that icon on the taskbar. And when I've tried to add the bluetooth device, Windows doesnt find anything. I'm not sure if i'm missing a piece of hardware or a software menu (Wireless)

For clarification, as I've barely never used a bluetooth device on a PC before: do you need some kind of USB receiver slot inside first?

I don't have that icon on the taskbar. And when I've tried to add the bluetooth device, Windows doesnt find anything. I'm not sure if i'm missing a piece of hardware or a software menu (Wireless)

Where's the manual or the model # of the desktop? So we can check the specifications.

Jzero

Yes, you need Bluetooth hardware in order to be able to use Bluetooth devices. Maybe your computer comes with bluetooth built in though, you would need to check the computer specifications. If you find out that you don't have built in bluetooth then just get a cheap dongle. I use one of these cheap little things.

derFeef

Ohh I can finally set full article view as standard in nextgen reader. Or maybe that was built in before? Anyway, good thing!

jsnepo

I turned on my computer and was greeted with two updates. They really need to make the communications app be updated. Most of my messages come in late for about 10 to 15 minutes. It's quite annoying.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I have to say I'm impressed by how fast IE10 is on my main rig with 120 Hz. I recently switched from Chrome to Waterfox (Chrome crashes Netflix constantly, gifs suck), but I'm getting annoyed by inconsistent font control with Waterfox on my HTPC (keeps defaulting to small), and the render speed seems too slow down zoomed in, or at least neogaf dark is doing that. Waterfox also does this dumb thing where scrolling lags. Ie, I scroll and a half a second later it stops animating. IE and Chrome do it instantly, which is the proper way.

I'll give it a try for a while. Every browser seems to have huge faults, so I'm not crossing my fingers.

The weirdest thing started happening at my home pc: Any metro app other than the store either crashes immediately after launching or gets stucked indefinitely on the splash screen...

I was out the whole week, but when i left on monday everything was fine. I tried restarting, updating, updating the apps through the store work fine, but none of them start...

When trying to use onenote i got an error message saying that Onenote couldn't start because it had no permitions to write on the settings folder... So i think it's probably that...

I will try to find the folder and set permissions accordingly, but the weird thing is that i didn't installed anything of changed any setting on monday when i left, i just pop up, opened chrome printed the flying tickets, and turned it off...

Alpha_eX

Finally! I love the mini tiles on Windows Phone OS and was wondering why they were left out of Windows 8. I'm loving the new tiled home screen, very fresh.

JaggedSac

50/50 will be great. Should have been there from the beginning.
Not needing to go to desktop doesn't really matter to me, but it should have been there from the beginning.

More importantly, some of their apps need to be de-shittified, namely XBox Music and XBox Video.

maeh2k

Looks great. Looking forward to blue.

I'd still like to see a pinnable task bar for the Metro UI to quickly change between Metro apps, or at least a way to display all open apps like Expose on OS X with one simple action. I've always hated alt+tab / win+tab in Windows. It's useless to me. The previews are to small and it doesn't scale well.

Windows 8's bar on the left was a decent effort, but I still don't like it all that much. With a static bar (pinned) you'd have instant access and you'd instantly know where the app you are looking for is. With an Expose-like feature, you'd get big previews and could quickly identify the right app and easily select it (just not quite as thumb friendly as the small bar on the left).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I created a separate account for my wife on the desktop so she could have her own People, Mail, and apps. I'm having a problem with her seeing the pictures and music/videos that are under my account though. She has Zune on her account, for example, but when she opens it, all the music we have is not there.

How do I share music, documents, pictures, etc. across accounts on the same PC?

maeh2k

I created a separate account for my wife on the desktop so she could have her own People, Mail, and apps. I'm having a problem with her seeing the pictures and music/videos that are under my account though. She has Zune on her account, for example, but when she opens it, all the music we have is not there.

How do I share music, documents, pictures, etc. across accounts on the same PC?

Isn't that what the public library is for?

maeh2k

Isn't the public library for anyone who logs in to the network? If I have friends over using my wifi, wouldn't they then have access to the public library files?

Good point. I have no idea. Never tried that network stuff. I use the public library just so that every user can access the files.

Edit: looks like there are settings to limit the public folder to local users: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/share-files-using-the-public-folders

If you share a non-public folder with a specific user, the Win 8 apps probably can't access them as easily as a library.

derFeef

I am having a strange problem. First I noticed my PC hangs if monitor goes into sleep mode. So I checked the power options and Win says it is unavailable. I checked Services and ALL of them have <No Information> written over them.

maeh2k

I am having a strange problem. First I noticed my PC hangs if monitor goes into sleep mode. So I checked the power options and Win says it is unavailable. I checked Services and ALL of them have <No Information> written over them.

Is it a notebook? I once had a problem with a Dell notebook where the screen wouldn't turn back on after it went dark, but when I closed the lid and reawakened it, it would work again.
In that case it was a problem with the GPU driver. Dell had their own drivers, but Windows Update had suggested an update to a non-Dell driver. Reinstalling the Dell driver fixed it.

No idea about the power options, though.

Top Bottom