• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Quick question: when the next iteration of Windows 8 or Blue or whatever it is called hits, will it be a free upgrade for the suckers who bought Win8 at launch (i.e. me) or will I have to pay for it?

Seeing the overall profitability of Win8, I think they're going to sell it for stupid prices.

Nothing is confirmed, but all signs point to "Blue" being free.

derFeef

I had to reinstall 8, nothing was working properly anymore - still no idea why.
Something was def. wrong with the user account stuff.

Can't say for sure because I think Microsoft is still denying Blue's existence, but I'm confident it'll be free like a service pack.

Of course it will be.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
@thurott said:
As someone noted to me on Twitter earlier, the improved Snap mode in Blue is indeed arbitrary. It can be set to any position & is not fixed. I should add, its' not "pixel" arbitrary. It does size in "steps." But many steps. Many sizes.

Danj

So I'm evaluating a Windows 8 Pro tablet from Dell for work. Is it possible to replace the default Windows 8 onscreen keyboard with something that sucks less? E.g. it would be nice to have a long press on the top row bring up numbers (e.g. long press q = 1, long press w = 2 etc).

On the plus side, I like that it seems to be able to mount ISO images as some sort of virtual DVD drive, I just downloaded the Volume License version of Office 2013 from MS's VLSC and it's installing straight on now.

Also, how do I right-click when using a touchscreen?

Windu

So I'm evaluating a Windows 8 Pro tablet from Dell for work. Is it possible to replace the default Windows 8 onscreen keyboard with something that sucks less? E.g. it would be nice to have a long press on the top row bring up numbers (e.g. long press q = 1, long press w = 2 etc).

On the plus side, I like that it seems to be able to mount ISO images as some sort of virtual DVD drive, I just downloaded the Volume License version of Office 2013 from MS's VLSC and it's installing straight on now.

On desktop long press for right click. In metro it is a swipe down on an object. There is a full touch keyboard that looks exactly like a real one. Think you have to enable it in the settings and then when using the keyboard click the button in the lower right to switch to it,

Windu

When we first looked at the Mail, Calendar, and Contacts apps that ship with Windows 8, we found them more than a little barebones, with a frustrating lack of integration between them and features that compared unfavorably even with smartphone software.

That trio of apps is taking its first step forward with an update that will become available this evening or tomorrow morning.
more at http://arstechnica.com/information-...dows-8-productivity-apps-get-more-productive/

Edit: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8rt-app-update-mail

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8rt-app-update-calendar

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8rt-app-update-people

Alx

Ugh my Surface RT has been running slower and slower. Even restarts do not bring back the original snappiness.

Do you have many apps running in the background ? Mine is still fine but as I was installing several programs this week-end and each one of them was asking me if I wanted to let them be active when hidden, I was wondering if it would hit the performances sooner or later...

No more google calendar sync though :/

Is that true ? That sucks, I was only using it to connect to my work calendar which uses google (not that I use it that much, but adding a new entry at the end of a meeting is easier on a tablet than on a phone)

"They're still less functional than the company's old desktop Windows Live Mail app, which remains troubling, because they provide such core functionality. However, this update is clearly a step in the right direction."

And this is why some people think Microsoft isn't moving fast enough.

Ugh my Surface RT has been running slower and slower. Even restarts do not bring back the original snappiness.

Try turning off windows error reporting, disabling animations like minimize/maximize in system settings, and changing the paging file to the recommended amount.

the numbers thing comes with the first update this year, windows blue

Darkkn

Just got Logitech t650 touchpad for my desktop PC and this thing is amazing for Windows 8. Totally replaces the mouse for anything other than gaming. It's probably the best Windows touchpad that i have tested(very close to Apple touchpads) and it really makes W8 more usable with gestures that are make the metro stuff way easier to use than with mouse.

Very premium feeling product that i can easily recommend for any W8 user.

dLMN8R

Do you have less than 2GB of space left?

"They're still less functional than the company's old desktop Windows Live Mail app, which remains troubling, because they provide such core functionality. However, this update is clearly a step in the right direction."

But it's a mail app. They're pretty simple. Peter Bright doesn't even list what's missing because he probably can't think of anything important he actually needs. Yeah Live Mail has more features, but most of it was bloat that no one uses anyway. Unified inbox is pretty much the only thing missing that anyone actually uses.

These updates have made Mail go from being completely useless to fully sufficient and something I can exclusively rely on.

But it's a mail app. They're pretty simple. Yeah Live Mail has more features, but most of it was bloat that no one uses anyway. Unified inbox is like the only thing missing that anyone actually uses.

These updates have made Mail go from being completely useless to fully sufficient and something I can exclusively rely on.

A unified inbox and drag-and-drop support is considered "bloat" now?

dLMN8R

Did you just skim my post or something? I explicitly called out unified inbox.

Drag and drop is nice, but it doesn't exactly make things pointless without it. The Mail app update introduced 99% of the missing stuff that previously made the app completely useless.

Vyer

If Windows Live Mail is considered more advanced and functional than your email program, that's probably not a good thing.

Google Calendar sync was the only reason I used the Calender app, so if that's true I'm not upgrading.

If you can live with having the Windows calendar being read only from Google calendar (it updates from google calendar changes, but won't go the opposite way), you can add the ICS from google calendar to windows calendar.

That was good enough for me.

Windu

Automatic Application Updates

EpLfOy6.jpg

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...tically-update-your-modern-apps-windows-store

Official File Manager

j6giGMM.png

vnzjEMy.png

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-indeed-working-modern-file-manager-app-windows-blue

REALLY liking what I'm seeing with Windows Blue--seems like it addresses a lot of pain points with Windows 8.

The marketing/publicity campaign (lol) is going to be interesting, with Windows 8 considered "damaged goods" in a lot of circles. This is a W8 OS update, right?

Biggzy

REALLY liking what I'm seeing with Windows Blue--seems like it addresses a lot of pain points with Windows 8.

The marketing/publicity campaign (lol) is going to be interesting, considering Windows 8 is considered "damaged goods" in a lot of circles. This is considered a W8 OS update, right?

This is what we are led to believe.

Jzero

The marketing/publicity campaign (lol) is going to be interesting, with Windows 8 considered "damaged goods" in a lot of circles. This is a W8 OS update, right?
I hope blue fixes most of the performance bugs.

Troll

Banned

I'm ready for Blue. Isn't Blue supposed to introduce regular update cycles in the same way iOS and Android roll them out? I'm pretty sure that's rumored right?

maeh2k

DrPizza is an idiot. Always so negative.

95%+ of people don't need much functionality in a mail app. With the new update the mail app should be sufficient for those users. I think it may even be a good thing that the mail app is simpler and more minimalistic as Windows Live Mail.

If someone needs more than that, they can still use Windows Live Mail or Outlook.

Personally, I mainly use Outlook.com. While notifications and live tiles would be nice, it works really well and does everything I need.

dLMN8R

Have you played around with the XBox Music and XBox Video updates?

I don't know if they exist so I definitely haven't used them.

The story that appeared last week about the apps being "ready to install" in the event log was pretty likely to be a fake. That isn't the way app updates work on the system, there's no reason why they would show up as "ready to install" before they're released to the world. It is easy to get any machine into that state by simply installing Windows 8 brand new or creating a new user account and having available updates automatically download in the background (but not install)

This announcement today seems like a coincidence.

The update seems okay. "Metro" is so far off to the side of regular windows functionality that most of this stuff is pretty useless to a desktop user such as myself.

I would have liked to see better metro app management, it still feels limited, even with the ability to snap 4 apps together. I should be able to handle these apps like regular windows.

Windu

The update seems okay. "Metro" is so far off to the side of regular windows functionality that most of this stuff is pretty useless to a desktop user such as myself.

I would have liked to see better metro app management, it still feels limited, even with the ability to snap 4 apps together. I should be able to handle these apps like regular windows.
The future is mobile and windows 8 is being designed with that in mind. I do wish windows would run without background limitations when plugged up though.

PG2G

Is that true ? That sucks, I was only using it to connect to my work calendar which uses google (not that I use it that much, but adding a new entry at the end of a meeting is easier on a tablet than on a phone)

I believe google only killed activesync for free accounts, if your company pays for the services then I'd imagine you can still add it?

dLMN8R

dLMN8R explain this, please.

1NjW9AQ.png

I still don't know what this "Blue" thing is that everyone's referring to, but if a hypothetical new Windows release were to be in development right now on the rumored schedule, he's generally correct that the first development milestone would have just finished, and also generally that the first development milestone would be used to lay the groundwork for more major features coming in later development milestones.

I still don't know what this "Blue" thing is that everyone's referring to, but if a hypothetical new Windows release were to be in development right now on the rumored schedule, he's generally correct that the first development milestone would have just finished, and also generally that the first development milestone would be used to lay the groundwork for more major features coming in later development milestones.

ha

It's amazing how this whole software development thing works.

Troll

Banned

Damn. Neither you nor that jerk LastFlowers ever let anything slip.

cocksuckers

Top Bottom