• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

The email calendar alerts are now metro style... I think it won't be much longer until the whole calendar web app gets its long due redesign...

BlazinAm

Not a big fan of metro twitter app but is there another good windows 8 twitter app? Looking for an app that can run while I have the desktop free to do other things like work.

BlazinAm

Tweetro, but there aren't many people that would pay for a Twitter app. You could try Rowi or Metrotwit.

Saw that, but I can't tell if it can do multiple columns and allow me to cycle between them like Tweetdeck. The real problem here is the fact that tweetdeck apps are no longer in development. Also Tweetdeck can only be resized to 60% -70% of the screen wtf. It is really stupid too because I only look between three columns in twitter and it still won't let me set it to take half of the screen all because I am running at 1366x 768.

Also this is not a windows 8 issue but when I was playing Bioshock Infinite last night with an wireless Xbox controller my internet connection when to shit I assume because of interference. There was a thread about this a while ago about how to change wireless channels if there is interference , looking it up now.

Is there a a way to have rotating(every 15 minutes for example) Metro wallpapers like one does in the standard desktop portion? At the very least what is the best site for custom metro wallpapers that look good while scrolling?

eso76

So...
After updating WiFi adapter firmware I am not experiencing random crashes and system completely freezing anymore.
But I still get awkward freezes, system not responding at all for a minute or so, then reprising its work normally, then hanging again and so on.
Often happens during the first, say, 30 minutes after boot, then it generally runs stable.

I remember it happened all the time with windows 7 for a few weeks after installation, then it gradually went away.

Any idea ?

So...
After updating WiFi adapter firmware I am not experiencing random crashes and system completely freezing anymore.
But I still get awkward freezes, system not responding at all for a minute or so, then reprising its work normally, then hanging again and so on.
Often happens during the first, say, 30 minutes after boot, then it generally runs stable.

I remember it happened all the time with windows 7 for a few weeks after installation, then it gradually went away.

Any idea ?

Sounds like superfetch doing its thing after boot (preloading commonly used apps and other files). Windows 8 was supposed to have eliminated that issue which was common with Windows 7, especially for users of spinner drives (non SSDs).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/blue-s-clues-new-search-experience
Now, there’s just a single Search experience for apps, settings, and files, so there’s no need to choose the type of result unless of course you’re trying to filter it to a specific Metro app. And Microsoft has added a second nicety, though it looks pretty terrible in the current leaked builds: Web search results that appear in-line in the Search pane, under results from the local PC.

MCD

News and Excuses

I must start this post by sharing some excuses of not doing enough updates lately.The main reason is that we've been mostly under-water with the current development, that took most of our time.

News and report

The good news is that we have had tremendous progress...

The bad is that we have still a bit of work to do before sharing it on the store, as I will explain soon.

Pictures
But first, the current pictures:
Current start screen

yQOPeOu.png

CH0tMMK.jpg

Fully working playback

X6RUNQp.jpg

TpWNvQ1.jpg

Technical update
If you followed closely, our main work, in addition to the UI, was to fight and replace the forbidden symbols not allowed on Windows App Store mode.

We've been quite efficient at that, working closely with Mingw-w64 project and GCC developers.

The biggest result is that we have now cut down 90% of our symbols, that are forbidden on Metro Mode.

We mostly did this by:
◾replacing our forbidden calls with newer authorized equivalent calls,
◾modifying gcc and Mingw-w64,
◾writing new code in a special library of ours,
◾writing dummy functions,
◾disabling VLC code that would not work on the Metro platform,
◾moving VLC to MSVCRT 11.0, moving all the VLC codebase to UNICODE and WideChars to fit the new requirements.

We did also a lot of minor things to help the integration of libVLC and VLC in this modern platform.

What are we working on now:

We are now mainly working on 2 things:
◾make VLC work with MSVCRT 11.0 without crashing
◾write headers and C/C++ code to access the new fashion of COM APIs in which WinRT is written in.

What we are gonna work just after:

◾ARM, ARM, ARM.
◾WP8

Goodies
They are gonna get shipped soon

Jean-Baptiste for the VLC for Windows 8 Team

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-windows-8-user-experience-metro/posts/443562

Mr_Zombie

:(

First change i dislike about Blue so far. I never understood why people liked having results mixed up XD

Same here. I've never understood the complaint. If you're looking for something you probably know whether you're looking for a file, a program or something in Windows settings. The only exception were portable apps located outside Program Files, because Search recognized those as files instead of apps.

I just hope that Win+F and Win+W will still work as they do now, i.e. search limited to files or settings.

Sup Guys, is there an irc app with snapped view that can run in the background without losing connection, or do the windows app guidelines prevent such an app?

Cheech

It most likely is SP1, which most traditional IT companies use as a trigger for mass deployment.

Hah hah hah. Still not happening. Windows 8 will never see the light of day on my corporate desktops. My peers at other companies are in the same boat.

If Microsoft keeps this up with the next major release of Windows, we will be forced to make some tough decisions. Like whether or not to continue to do business with Microsoft.

If I didn't work for a huge company, I would have gone with Google a year or so ago.

maeh2k

Hah hah hah. Still not happening. Windows 8 will never see the light of day on my corporate desktops. My peers at other companies are in the same boat.

If Microsoft keeps this up with the next major release of Windows, we will be forced to make some tough decisions. Like whether or not to continue to do business with Microsoft.

If I didn't work for a huge company, I would have gone with Google a year or so ago.

So because of Windows 8 you would have switched to Chrome OS (?) and stopped doing business with the company that still supports Windows XP till 2014?

Nero3000

When i read this, for some reason I imagine this:
dan.gif

kitch9

Banned

I've rolled it out across my business and my staff find it easier to use if its done right, no two ways about it they do.

Windows 8's problem is the "knowledgeable" IT guys thinking they know better than the people they are serving by insisting people use a product that noobs find complex and scary because that is how it has always been done.

JaggedSac

I'm sure the IDEs available to use on Chrome OS are great.

gohepcat

Banned

Ohh I love this one. Have fun explaining to your vendors that you are not a windows shop.

Windows is on 1.2 billion...billion computers. We currently have dozens of windows only enterprise software. Microsoft could cease to exist tomorrow and it would still take 10 years to transition away from them.

Ahh I love young sys admins. I've seen a few of you go down in flames by switching to Apple or Linux desktops.

I'm in the boat as the other posters here--are you saying you would have gone with Google for personal use, or business use? Comparing the functionality from Chrome OS to Windows 8, even with all the Metro stuff that people hate, is a bit ridiculous.

clav

I've rolled it out across my business and my staff find it easier to use if its done right, no two ways about it they do.

Windows 8's problem is the "knowledgeable" IT guys thinking they know better than the people they are serving by insisting people use a product that noobs find complex and scary because that is how it has always been done.

Yeah really seems like a personal issue about pride.

How sad.

Whatever happened to personal matters not blocking the way of your workplace.

kitch9

Banned
Yeah really seems like a personal issue about pride.

How sad.

Whatever happened to personal matters not blocking the way of your workplace.

What I will say about Windows 8 in the business place is that the Start screen just needs setting up so its completely relevant to your business with all the fat is trimmed and people find it a piece of piss to use.

I spend very little time in the start screen, but my less well informed staff use it a LOT to the point its surprising.

In my work (500+ people) the exact same thing was said of Windows 7. There was a lot of concern moving from Windows XP, having done it though...help desk calls have dropped to less than 10% of the previous numbers.

TTOOLL

What if you could have a personalized start screen only with things related to the company you work for? Shortcuts, tiles displaying information relevant to your work and etc. It would be your company's hub inside the OS.
This would make things easier, as the rest of the OS is just like W7 (better of course) anyways.

Top Bottom