• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Biggzy

I'm pretty sure you can do that. I know you can do four app snaps. Think they said it requires a higher resolution than 1920x1080 though.
all the rumors have been that this update would bring smaller devices, looks like its turning out to be true. I guess we should expect a surface mini in October.

Give me that and an Intel Bay Trail and I am there.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The biggest thing missing that I haven't seen is the ability to have IE mobile in snapped view. (I believe someone was working on that but the APIs that he used were not allowed in metro).

And splitting IE tabs into 50/50 view etc..
I love these leaked updates. They should of been included in the first place though.
as with all software development, time is probably the biggest hurdle. These updates have obviously been planned from the start.

jeO9wMf.jpg

THANK YOU ALLAH

Awesome.

In addition to Blue they should do the following:

- Have support for windowing Metro Apps (like Modern mix) if you're using a mouse & keyboard
- Put the start button back if you're using a mouse & keyboard
- Scale the start screen down to 60% size when using a mouse & keyboard (not fullscreen; similar to Start8)
- Allow the ability to compile and run desktop apps on WinRT. And Visual Studio should be updated to compile universal binaries.

I think those things would fix 99% of the complaints of Windows 8/RT.

Windu

In addition to Blue they should do the following:

- Have support for windowing Metro Apps (like Modern mix) if you're using a mouse & keyboard
- Put the start button back if you're using a mouse & keyboard
- Scale the start screen down to 60% size when using a mouse & keyboard (not fullscreen; similar to Start8)
- Allow the ability to compile and run desktop apps on WinRT. And Visual Studio should be updated to compile universal binaries.

I think those things would fix 99% of the complaints of Windows 8/RT.
Meh Microsoft should leave the start menu and metro windowing to third party applications. For normal users I think the metro interface is better for them. Much simpler. If someone wants windowing metro apps and the start menu then they probably know how to find and download one of the many solutions out there.

Meh Microsoft should leave the start menu and metro windowing to third party applications. For normal users I think the metro interface is better for them. Much simpler. If someone wants windowing metro apps and the start menu then they probably know how to find and download one of the many solutions out there.

Its great in theory but people still shit all over Windows 8 and downgrade to Windows 7 because of these reasons-- they are creatures of habit. And a lot of enthusiasts who hate on Windows 8 end up influencing others who probably wouldn't mind the changes. Also, I think they need to open up desktop development on RT because its struggling. There are rumours of VERY high return rates for the surface because it doesn't run desktop apps.

Its great in theory but people still shit all over Windows 8 and downgrade to Windows 7 because of these reasons-- they are creatures of habit. And a lot of enthusiasts who hate on Windows 8 end up influencing others who probably wouldn't mind the changes. Also, I think they need to open up desktop development on RT because its struggling. There are rumours of VERY high return rates for the surface because it doesn't run desktop apps.

Sooner or later a bunch of people will have to cave in and just deal with it though. When you sit back and think about it, Microsoft isn't bringing back the start menu and and they aren't going to remove metro. They'll just continue on this path whether you are for it or not. If people hate windows 8 because of those things, they wont be back in Windows 9, and come Windows 9 businesses will start upgrading to a new OS to keep support. Then comes Windows 10, and at this point pretty much most PC's will be on either Windows 8, 9 or 10. Eventually it will come to the point where its just not worth it to fight anymore. Well, either this or they go to Linux/Mac, but most of the mainstream will most likely stay on a Windows platform because that's what comes pre-installed with their computer.

Its a long term game and whether for good or bad is yet to be seen.

Alx

The updated Xbox Music is nice, I can listen to a big part of my music at work through my tablet now. I thought I would have to run some sync from my laptop at home, but apparently I didn't need to.
Too bad not all of my music is available on their store, I can't access everything.

Really like the 50/50 snap, but really it makes me want 25/25/50 and 25/25/25/25 snap views as well. Then I want to be able to create a shortcut to a snap view.

Make it so MS, I'll do the 'This is my windows 8' advert for you.

Isn't that already in by the Blue leaks?

Edit: Beaten like W8 on the gaming forum XD

The updated Xbox Music is nice, I can listen to a big part of my music at work through my tablet now. I thought I would have to run some sync from my laptop at home, but apparently I didn't need to.
Too bad not all of my music is available on their store, I can't access everything.

It would be cool if you could synch your music to Skydrive and stream from there - whatever your collection contains.

jagowar

I went home at lunch and grabbed my surface.... really happy with the music player now. Only been using it for a few hours but it's really smooth on surface now and the drm errors seem to be fixed now as well.

Would like to see them use the widescreen aspect ratio better when browsing songs but otherwise it's usable now.

That's a nicely designed website. It seems unusual for the Xbox to be mentioned on there. With the conference happening after E3, I wonder if they'll be showing some sort of Windows Blue/Durango interactivity?

Xbox is the multimedia brand for Windows 8 and Windows Phone. Expected for it to be there and of course there will be interactivity, Smartglass for sure although I would expect other stuff as well.

SPDIF

Xbox is the multimedia brand for Windows 8 and Windows Phone. Expected for it to be there and of course there will be interactivity, Smartglass for sure although I would expect other stuff as well.

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of being able to build apps for Durango. With the Kinect for Windows SDK already available, it'd be pretty great if they opened up Kinect 2 immediately, and allowed apps to be released that took advantage of the improved (kinect) hardware.

MCD

There is a NASTY, NASTY bug in the Music app.

My music are being played over each other by simply clicking on my music files fast.

WTF

hwalker84

That because Microsoft's stupidity. Windows RT looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but isn't a duck! Also those stupid dancing commercials don't tell the consumer a single thing about the product.

Major Nelson write up on the updated xbox apps

You may have noticed that the Xbox apps for Windows 8 are receiving some updates this week. Some are purely background updates that you might not notice but there are also a few cosmetic and functional updates. The Xbox Games and Xbox SmartGlass apps for Windows 8 and Windows RT are refreshing this week with new looks and some new features. The refreshed Xbox Games app will make Windows 8 and Windows RT tablet and PC gameplay simpler and more personal. The home screen of the updated Xbox Games app will now display the last game you played within the past seven days. We’re also providing faster and smoother access to related downloadable content for that game to further personalize your gameplay and your Avatar. Game trailers and screenshots are also more easily discoverable inside the refreshed app. We’ve added some enhanced communication features inside the app too, like the ability to send and receive text messages between Xbox LIVE friends and toast notification similar to those you receive today on Xbox 360. The Xbox SmartGlass app has been refreshed so that your device stays awake while you are engaged in a 2nd screen activity. It also includes some stability and connection issues, as well as an updated controller layout which includes the Xbox guide button for more easily discoverable options.

The refreshed Xbox Games and Xbox SmartGlass apps begin rolling out on Windows 8 and Windows RT devices starting today and could a few days to reach everyone around the world.

dLMN8R

Wow, I really like a lot of the small changes in Xbox Music. Current playlist is finally shown right in-line in the now playing view instead of needing to show a flyout, and finally a way to sort by artist and then see albums by artist.....without a massive list of all albums.

Small changes, fixes, and performance upgrades are nice for Music, but I still don't understand why clicking/taping 'Play Album' from my music doesn't take me to the Now Playing screen. I have to manually go there.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
anyone know of a metro 'document browser' ?

my ceo is gonna want one, and 'microsoft reader' only shows pdf files. what if wants to read an excel file at the same time? needs a 'goodreader' type app.

Nero3000

anyone know of a metro 'document browser' ?

my ceo is gonna want one, and 'microsoft reader' only shows pdf files. what if wants to read an excel file at the same time? needs a 'goodreader' type app.

Office 2013?

Seriously why would you want anything else (which would most likely **** up the formatting).

Also: http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/27/4152168/windows-blue-public-preview-build-developer-conference

Sources have revealed that applications will also be able to occupy multiple Snap Views, allowing you to read your Inbox while composing an email side-by-side, or the ability to see two Internet Explorer tabs open side-by-side.

Thank god.

Windu

sources have revealed that applications will also be able to occupy multiple Snap Views, allowing you to read your Inbox while composing an email side-by-side, or the ability to see two Internet Explorer tabs open side-by-side.
6pq9cjF.gif

Windu

I was thinking about what improvements I would like to see to the Microsoft applications. Most of my issues seem to be solved with the new app updates or are in the pipeline for the os update.

Here are some that I thought of

Mail - unified mailbox would be nice. I like how wp does it. You can combine certain accounts and leave others separate.

Music - right now a I use a third party podcast client on wp and W8. (slapdash) If W8 had built in support then I would probably use the music player on both platforms. And the cool lockscreen photo stuff like on wp would be nice.

Skype - link contacts. Skype's contact list is all fucked up. It should do what the people app does and link accounts together.

Bing - I started using Bing lately because of the rewards. One thing annoying about the W8 app is no advanced search stuff. And I would love for it to be like the wp app with a local results page.

Store - small snap view would be nice.

Messenger - this thing needs Skype and room integration.

Basically bring all of the wp features to the W8 apps.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Going from Zune Player to W8 Music seemed like such a downgrade to me.

Is there any reason I should switch to the new Music app? I'll admit to only messing around with it for a little bit before I went back to Zune as my default player.

Windu

Going from Zune Player to W8 Music seemed like such a downgrade to me.

Is there any reason I should switch to the new Music app? I'll admit to only messing around with it for a little bit before I went back to Zune as my default player.
Free Music

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Free Music

I'm still paying $10 for my Zune subscription so there is no reason to use the music app for me. The Zune software is great, the music app still needs a lot of polish.

Top Bottom