• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

I still don't know what this "Blue" thing is that everyone's referring to, but if a hypothetical new Windows release were to be in development right now on the rumored schedule, he's generally correct that the first development milestone would have just finished, and also generally that the first development milestone would be used to lay the groundwork for more major features coming in later development milestones.

In ENGLISH, doc!

JaggedSac

I see the MS Windows staple games got updates as well. Minesweeper, Taptiles, Solitaire, and Mahjong. I have gotten every single daily challenge in Minesweeper since it was released. Lately, the video ad that plays for XBox Music always cuts off before they finish saying what they are advertising for, "On XBox Mu.."

I don't know if they exist so I definitely haven't used them.

The story that appeared last week about the apps being "ready to install" in the event log was pretty likely to be a fake. That isn't the way app updates work on the system, there's no reason why they would show up as "ready to install" before they're released to the world. It is easy to get any machine into that state by simply installing Windows 8 brand new or creating a new user account and having available updates automatically download in the background (but not install)

This announcement today seems like a coincidence.

Gotcha. Thanks. It wasn't fake though, at least not the fact that the apps got updates, I looked it up in my event log as well. There were definitely updates that were pushed within the last two weeks(I don't remember the exact day the log on my Surface said it was received), but I am not sure why they assumed that the updates meant something bigger was coming down the pipe.

JaggedSac

Just now farted around with the updated mail app and my god the performance is incredibly better on the RT. Much much smoother and faster. Against my better judgment, I now have faith that they can salvage the mess that is Xbox Music.

Mr_Zombie

Wait, why does the update screw the synchronization with Google Calendar? I've heard people talking about this but I don't think I've seen an explanation what's the cause of it.

Because if that's true, then the Calendar app becomes useless for me. :/ I loved that I could keep one calendar at both my android smartphone and win8 laptop with it being automatically synchronized.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Wait, why does the update screw the synchronization with Google Calendar? I've heard people talking about this but I don't think I've seen an explanation what's the cause of it.

Because if that's true, then the Calendar app becomes useless for me. :/ I loved that I could keep one calendar at both my android smartphone and win8 laptop with it being automatically synchronized.
Google dropped exchange active sync for free Gmail accounts.

Mikey Jr.

Just got my new pc with win 8. It is....hard. I feel like i am retraining my brain, for no real payoff. Everything seems hidden. I could not find where to turn off my computer. I had to move my mouse to the edhe of the screen, choose settings, power, then shut off.Had to go online to find that.
Not only that, but every edge of my screen pops something up. Want to click the icon for firefox in the taskbar? Whoops, you scrolled to far, now a preview of metro has popped up, covering the icon. Want to click back and moved too far? Preview for your million tabs opened covering your button.
Also, why cant i close apps when im done with them? I have to scroll to the right and right click on them to close.

I know this probably has been said a million times, but i want a start menu. Just something quick and easy. The tiles do nothing for me. Its neat looking, but its too many clicks, and too much aggravating stuff. Thinking about just buying that start8 and be done with the tiles altogether.

Alx

I know this probably has been said a million times, but i want a start menu. Just something quick and easy. The tiles do nothing for me. Its neat looking, but its too many clicks, and too much aggravating stuff. Thinking about just buying that start8 and be done with the tiles altogether.

My advice : just take the time to customize your system to your needs. Remove the tiles you don't use, add some for the software you use everyday, group them by types and/or frequency of use, set their size and disposition to what looks logical to you... (and don't forget the taskbar and desktop shortcuts for really fast access, too).
In the end everything you really need will be just one click away.

MCD

jeO9wMf.jpg

THANK YOU ALLAH

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Just got my new pc with win 8. It is....hard. I feel like i am retraining my brain, for no real payoff. Everything seems hidden. I could not find where to turn off my computer. I had to move my mouse to the edhe of the screen, choose settings, power, then shut off.Had to go online to find that.
Not only that, but every edge of my screen pops something up. Want to click the icon for firefox in the taskbar? Whoops, you scrolled to far, now a preview of metro has popped up, covering the icon. Want to click back and moved too far? Preview for your million tabs opened covering your button.
Also, why cant i close apps when im done with them? I have to scroll to the right and right click on them to close.

You will get used to it, but if you're opposed to learning a new OS then just install win7.

ymmv

Banned
My advice : just take the time to customize your system to your needs. Remove the tiles you don't use, add some for the software you use everyday, group them by types and/or frequency of use, set their size and disposition to what looks logical to you... (and don't forget the taskbar and desktop shortcuts for really fast access, too).
In the end everything you really need will be just one click away.

My advice: if you don't own a tablet or a touch enabled laptop, ignore Metro and the new start screen. Install a start menu replacement (StartIsBack, Start8 or ClassicShell), turn off all stuff like the the hot corners and you can use Windows 8 more or less like you're used to.

netBuff

Windows 8, out of the box, is horrible for mouse use. You definitely should buy Start8, it's a great product that restores usability for Windows 8 on the desktop.

If you are interested in using Modern Apps, also take a gander at Stardock's ModernMix

PG2G

I'm not sure what you mean about closing apps, it is done the same way it always has been? If you're talking about Metro apps, you don't need to close them as they aren't taking up resources. Let the OS handle it for you.

You kind of do have a start menu, I think you just need to put what you're interested in on there and start getting used to using the keyboard more than you did before. I find it much faster to launch apps with the start screen than with your standard Windows XP start menu, and roughly equivalent to the Windows Vista and Windows 7 ones, with the exception of searching for files or settings. I mean... "Start Button -> chr -> Enter" launches Chrome for me. Doesn't really get any easier than that.

I think you should try and use it a while and see if you can get the hang of it. This is the direction they are going to be heading from here on out, so don't fight it unless you really can't get used to it.

Windu

Video was updated as well. Also nice being able to listen to the new JT album for free.

Windu

Probably obvious by now but it looks like Microsoft app updates are on a 6 month schedule while OS stuff is on a yearly schedule.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Really like the 50/50 snap, but really it makes me want 25/25/50 and 25/25/25/25 snap views as well. Then I want to be able to create a shortcut to a snap view.

Make it so MS, I'll do the 'This is my windows 8' advert for you.

Windu

Really like the 50/50 snap, but really it makes me want 25/25/50 and 25/25/25/25 snap views as well. Then I want to be able to create a shortcut to a snap view.

Make it so MS, I'll do the 'This is my windows 8' advert for you.
I'm pretty sure you can do that. I know you can do four app snaps. Think they said it requires a higher resolution than 1920x1080 though.
I'm freaking out a little.
freaking out a lot

An iPad mini clone with Windows 8 and pen support just became not only possible, but also more useful.
all the rumors have been that this update would bring smaller devices, looks like its turning out to be true. I guess we should expect a surface mini in October.

Top Bottom