• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Even better - just uninstall every Metro app. That way you don't need to mess around with defaults. It's just unfortunate that there's no desktop version of the Xbox Music and Video apps.

There is, Zune.

I didn't know you could do this.

search-02.jpg;pv790d1d75280db088

This was my only real gripe about Search in W8.

Yeah just saw this over on Thurrott's site. Pretty nice little feature.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what is the deal with the app store. I've heard the following

'app store quality is bad, there is about 10 reddit apps and they all suck'

after this I'm curious, so I go to the charm bar, hit search, select store, type 'reddit' see NOTHING.

is the app store 'europing' people like they are a games console or some shit?

what is the deal with the app store. I've heard the following

'app store quality is bad, there is about 10 reddit apps and they all suck'

after this I'm curious, so I go to the charm bar, hit search, select store, type 'reddit' see NOTHING.

is the app store 'europing' people like they are a games console or some shit?

I can't answer the reddit question, but every app store has its own region. It's on the developer to decide where it will be published.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Anyone know if I'll be able to upgrade from Windows 7 Home OEM to W8 at 12am via the website? I don't really want to have to go out and buy a boxed version - is it going online straight away?

Jzero

Anyone know if I'll be able to upgrade from Windows 7 Home OEM to W8 at 12am via the website? I don't really want to have to go out and buy a boxed version - is it going online straight away?
We don't know yet but it's probable that it will go up pretty fast.

Also, i am once again addicted to Jetpack Joyride.

Rlan

If I've got Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a PC, and Windows XP on an old Laptop, can I use the Laptop's XP in order to get a cheap W8 for my main PC? :p

Jzero

Leaving these links for later.

Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant

Download Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Online

Online upgrade terms and conditions

If I've got Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a PC, and Windows XP on an old Laptop, can I use the Laptop's XP in order to get a cheap W8 for my main PC? :p
When Windows 8 upgrade installer runs (either launched from the previous Windows Version or booted directly from DVD), it will search the existence of a Windows license on the partition or drive you wish to install Windows 8.

Quick question,

In the OP it says windows 8 pro upgrades from professional and ultimate, does that mean if I download pro for $40 it won't upgrade from my home premium windows 7?

maeh2k

Quick question,

In the OP it says windows 8 pro upgrades from professional and ultimate, does that mean if I download pro for $40 it won't upgrade from my home premium windows 7?

No. You can upgrade from any previous version to Windows 8 pro, but you can't upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 standard. You'd have to upgrade to Windows 8 pro instead.

Thanks. Mine has a promo code but I guess we can't use it until tomorrow. Is the code good just towards a downloadable version?

from the page it sounds like you can order the disc. but we wont' know until tomorrow.

How do I buy an upgrade to Windows 8 and redeem my promo code?

When you run Upgrade Assistant, it will check to see if your PC is ready to upgrade and then provide you with the option to buy, download, and install Windows 8 from there

During the purchase process you’ll want to have the following information ready;

Name
Billing details (address, phone number, email address)
Shipping address if you are ordering a Windows 8 installation DVD
Payment Information
Your promo code (sent via email) to receive your upgrade at the promotional upgrade offer price

MrBig

Why are they pushing the upgrade versions so much?

Will I just get a key I can use when I buy the $40 W8 Pro or am I going to be forced to install W7 again just to get to the RTM version from the RP? Will I still be able to format on install and at any other time with an upgrade license?

from the page it sounds like you can order the disc. but we wont' know until tomorrow.

Seems if you run the upgrade assistant it goes through the process right now. I can apparently order a backup DVD for an extra $14.99. Total comes to around $36.

Edit: Just ordered everything for $36 (Disc copy). Gave me a Windows 8 product Key.

Seems if you run the upgrade assistant it goes through the process right now. I can apparently order a backup DVD for an extra $14.99. Total comes to around $36.

oh. i never checked that page thought the download link wouldn't work since i used the links up above lol.

oh. i never checked that page thought the download link wouldn't work since i used the links up above lol.

Links seem to be working and I just placed my order. They gave me a product Key for Windows 8 using the upgrade assistant. I assume I just need a download link for the Pro version tomorrow.

kazinova

People have been talking crazy talk about getting a fresh install of Windows 8 out of upgrade, I'm not sure how that would work but I'll be doing that if someone can walk us through how to get the full install and Win8 key.

I mean, they couldn't expect you to upgrade and have to reinstall Vista to get to 8 again if your computer has problems or you need to replace a hard drive.

People have been talking crazy talk about getting a fresh install of Windows 8 out of upgrade, I'm not sure how that would work but I'll be doing that if someone can walk us through how to get the full install and Win8 key.

I mean, they couldn't expect you to upgrade and have to reinstall Vista to get to 8 again if your computer has problems or you need to replace a hard drive.

I've been able to do Fresh Installs of Windows 7 from my upgrade disc. I don't think it was that complicated either. It just sort of worked. Curious how Windows 8 handles this.

Links seem to be working and I just placed my order. They gave me a product Key for Windows 8 using the upgrade assistant. I assume I just need a download link for the Pro version tomorrow.

doing that now. awesome.

EDIT: if you don't order the disc it downloads windows 8 now.

rukland

Well I flipped a coin and ordered just now, getting it for $16 (with tax) did not hurt much. And it's downloading as I post this.

Umm. Downloading Windows 8.

The upgrade assistant seems to be taking me pretty far. I guess this is a preload. Apparently, I just need to enter in my product key after this is done.

3% complete.

So far I have:

Run the upgrade assistant.
Placed my order using my discount code.
Received my Product Key
Currently Downloading Windows 8.

rukland

The test of this new version is going to be how my wife reacts to the change. I myself am not worried about getting used to it. And I really do like the look, does not hurt that I made the switch to a Windows phone a couple months ago now.

EDIT: Just hope they get the Media Center Pack add on up and running soon.

is the finished version has the start button? i was using the window 8 preview and i sorely missed the start button and finding a programs on it is very cumbersome.

Well I flipped a coin and ordered just now, getting it for $16 (with tax) did not hurt much. And it's downloading as I post this.

Umm. Downloading Windows 8.

The upgrade assistant seems to be taking me pretty far. I guess this is a preload. Apparently, I just need to enter in my product key after this is done.

3% complete.

So far I have:

Run the upgrade assistant.
Placed my order using my discount code.
Received my Product Key
Currently Downloading Windows 8.
it's probably active now. i'm at 12 minutes left. will tell if it lets me.

Weenerz

Banned
The site isn't letting me buy it, how are you guys doing it ahead of time? Doing the $40 windows 8 pro, not the $15 upgrade with buying a pc.

The site isn't letting me buy it, how are you guys doing it ahead of time? Doing the $40 windows 8 pro, not the $15 upgrade with buying a pc.

Hmm. Try running the Upgrade Assistant linked above. Let me buy it. I did the $15 upgrade but I didn't need to use it to buy.

Run this.

39% complete.

rukland

For those who want to get the Windows Media Center add-on for free:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Although I haven't received my key yet... not sure how long it'll take.

*Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to five licenses per customer per promotion

Awesome that one is working now. Thanks :)

Or at least I hope it is, have not gotten the e-mail yet. But I am guessing that is due to it being the 25th and all

This is going to be a fun day. Really hope it all goes well, my daughter has a Power Point to work on for school tonight.

I'm barely going to have a chance to touch it today. :( At least it will be less work tomorrow when the servers are getting hammered.

rukland

I'm barely going to have a chance to touch it today. :( At least it will be less work tomorrow when the servers are getting hammered.

There are days being a stay at home dad has it's perks. But like I said before the telling thing will be how the wife reacts to it when she gets home today.

Top Bottom