• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Looks like Riker finally snapped.

Windows 8 Wikipedia page vandalized
It's the incursion onto something as theoretically innocuous as the Windows 8 page that seemed so very troubling. Especially when the page is remarkably thorough.

A spokesman from the Wikimedia Foundation helped me reach the core of the vandalism. Wikipedia keeps a record of it all.

Essentially, much of Windows 8 page was erased and replaced with this in the reviews section:

"Everyone hated Windows 8. The interface was useless, it looked like a drag queen on steroids. And the operating system is extremely unstable on mobile devices, which would guaranteeing angry shoppers who has used a mobile device that ran on a Windows OS before. Save yourselves and use either an iPad or an Android mobile device."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57582647-71/windows-8-wikipedia-page-vandalized/

kitch9

Banned
Looking to uninstall Windows 8 and swap it with W7. Would my laptop having a touch screen have any effect on it?

Stick with 8.

I appreciate old habits can be well ingrained and new habits can take a while to form, but once you formed usage habits for 8 it becomes just another OS, albeit a quick and snappy one.

derFeef

That's pretty slick. Not sure if I like where the track pad is, but I would rather use a mouse or the touch screen anyways.

Yah reaching over the keyboard for the touchpad seems weird. But then the big screen sure is nice with touch. If it would have a wacom digitizer... mmhh.

It's like they couldn't wait for the device to make sense. Old Atom, kinda low res and an OS that doesn't really support the form factor.

Izick

Okay, so what's the deal with the surface pro? Is it a good product or not? Anyone here have one? I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was looking to buy a W8 laptop some time in the future, and I just realized the Surface Pro launched recently.

MCD

Okay, so what's the deal with the surface pro? Is it a good product or not? Anyone here have one? I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was looking to buy a W8 laptop some time in the future, and I just realized the Surface Pro launched recently.

It's good but we all waiting for the second version AKA Haswell edition AKA longer battery life and less heat issues.

Izick

It's good but we all waiting for the second version AKA Haswell edition AKA longer battery life and less heat issues.

What's the ETA on that? (Also, what the hell is up with no magnetization with the top part of the Surface/Touchcover? That seems like a no-brainer.)

What's the ETA on that? (Also, what the hell is up with no magnetization with the top part of the Surface/Touchcover? That seems like a no-brainer.)

We'll get a definitive answer in late June. It'll still be too heavy so I would still keep my options open for other upcoming devices if your looking for full windows in tablet form. Also can you clarify why you want magnetization with the top? First time I've heard about this.

Izick

We'll get a definitive answer in late June. It'll still be too heavy so I would still keep my options open for other upcoming devices if your looking for full windows in tablet form. Also can you clarify why you want magnetization with the top? First time I've heard about this.

Thanks for the info and to me the cover is kind of useless if it doesn't stick to the device's screen, I just don't get why they wouldn't magnetize the top so that it could stay nice and neatly together.

Thanks for the info and to me the cover is kind of useless if it doesn't stick to the device's screen, I just don't get why they wouldn't magnetize the top so that it could stay nice and neatly together.

Oh you want it to stay sealed? I was thinking of something else nvm.

derFeef

is there a way to let win8 detect the language you are using when you type (in metro apps eg.) so that is uses text correction automatically? I added two languages but I can only manually switch in the tray/charms bar.

Izick

Is there any chance we'd see a 13" Surface somewhere down the line? That seems to be the sweet spot in terms of screen size for me. I'm just not sure if I'd want to use a screen as small as the Surface's for my main and only laptop.

Is there any chance we'd see a 13" Surface somewhere down the line? That seems to be the sweet spot in terms of screen size for me. I'm just not sure if I'd want to use a screen as small as the Surface's for my main and only laptop.

You should take a look at the Lenovo Yoga. I'd probably really consider it, if it had a pen.

Izick

You should take a look at the Lenovo Yoga. I'd probably really consider it, if it had a pen.

Oh my, that looks nice. Only thing I dislike is no SSD.

I mentioned this before, but would this possibly be able to play some upcoming games like Shadowrun, Torment, or Broken Age? None of those look too taxing, graphically, so it'd be a nice bonus.

clav

What holds me back on tablets right now is price.

I will save up, but depending on what the next Xbox is, I might go spend it on that.

bedlamite

Oh my, that looks nice. Only thing I dislike is no SSD.

I mentioned this before, but would this possibly be able to play some upcoming games like Shadowrun, Torment, or Broken Age? None of those look too taxing, graphically, so it'd be a nice bonus.
The Yoga does have a 128GB SSD.

I own one and the Intel HD4000 GPU has a surprising amount of grunt. I'm not saying you'll be able to play Crysis 3 on it or anything, but it has no problems with stuff like Teamfortress 2. The laptop will easily handle the games you mentioned.

Oh and using the Yoga as a 13" tablet? Bad idea, it's way too big and heavy. The big screen is nice, but holding it like a regular tablet tires your arm out quickly. A 13" Surface with half the weight of the Yoga might be an interesting proposition, but MS shouldn't be experimenting with screen sizes at this stage in the game. They should nail down one or two screen sizes and refine the hardware first, IMO.

thirty

Banned
Good, RT is not necessary and has no place in the ecosystem with full Win8 tablets coming down in price and having battery life almost equal to the ARM devices.
it is still necessary as RT is the mobile platform for phone and tablet. If Intel can bring down their prices then so can ARM. Microsoft, needs those "mobile" apps to compete or lose the mobile space entirely to google and apple.

BTW, Acer's R7, P3, and the W3 are very attractive devices. Hopefully the build quality is good or I'll wait for an equivalent from Asus, Levono, or MS themselves.

maeh2k

it is still necessary as RT is the mobile platform for phone and tablet. If Intel can bring down their prices then so can ARM. Microsoft, needs those "mobile" apps to compete or lose the mobile space entirely to google and apple.

BTW, Acer's R7, P3, and the W3 are very attractive devices. Hopefully the build quality is good or I'll wait for an equivalent from Asus, Levono, or MS themselves.

The R7's design is very interesting and I love that OEMs are experimenting with new form factors. But they are going to have a hard time with their tablets. Won't be long before google announce the successor to the Nexus 7 which will be ~ $200 and come with full HD and a new chipset. They'll have a hard time selling their 8" tablet for ~ $350. I'm guessing it won't be received well in message boards and reviews.

Izick

The Yoga does have a 128GB SSD.

I own one and the Intel HD4000 GPU has a surprising amount of grunt. I'm not saying you'll be able to play Crysis 3 on it or anything, but it has no problems with stuff like Teamfortress 2. The laptop will easily handle the games you mentioned.

Oh and using the Yoga as a 13" tablet? Bad idea, it's way too big and heavy. The big screen is nice, but holding it like a regular tablet tires your arm out quickly. A 13" Surface with half the weight of the Yoga might be an interesting proposition, but MS shouldn't be experimenting with screen sizes at this stage in the game. They should nail down one or two screen sizes and refine the hardware first, IMO.

Thank you! The only thing I'm concerned about is using touch, because I'm not sure how much I'll actually care about it. I'm not sure if there are better W8 laptops out there than the Yoga (for +/-1000$) but without touch. Wouldn't be a bad compromise to me if there are.

The R7's design is very interesting and I love that OEMs are experimenting with new form factors. But they are going to have a hard time with their tablets. Won't be long before google announce the successor to the Nexus 7 which will be ~ $200 and come with full HD and a new chipset. They'll have a hard time selling their 8" tablet for ~ $350. I'm guessing it won't be received well in message boards and reviews.

Didn't Intel say their intent with bay trail was to drive prices down to the $200-300 range? If they accomplish that, windows 8 tablets will be competitive as hell.

Believe

Banned
Didn't Intel say their intent with bay trail was to drive prices down to the $200-300 range? If they accomplish that, windows 8 tablets will be competitive as hell.

If there is a 200-300$ Full Windows 8 OS Tablet 8" why would anyone even consider a Android/iOS/Kindle at the same size/price point?

people don't like real full desktop OSes in the palm of there hand ?

I would get one just to have Full windows on the go and tether to my Unlimited 4G note II.

If there is a 200-300$ Full Windows 8 OS Tablet 8" why would anyone even consider a Android/iOS/Kindle at the same size/price point?

I would get one just to have Full windows on the go and tether to my Unlimited 4G note II.

What are you going to achieve with a full desktop OS on a 7-8" screen?

Believe

Banned
What are you going to achieve with a full desktop OS on a 7-8" screen?

Real desktop programs, legacy windows stuff, run .exe files

I mean even just running real desktop firefox with extensions that I'm used to and have "multi-window" support is a joy imo with a full windows.

heck Real Flash support instead of just hoping a video works on any given website.

It would basically be on par with my windows laptop in terms of software so whatever I can do on my laptop I can now fit inside my pocket and have easy access to it on the go.

I just don't consider any computing device that doesn't run a full desktop OS such as windows of any real use or practicality

if I can run real windows on my phone I would have done that from the get go and no not Windows phone 8...

maeh2k

If people cared about these capabilities, they'd already buy Windows machines now. They don't. They'll buy what's cheap and what they are told to buy through marketing. The OS and its capabilities don't factor in much and in case of the Windows brand may even be slightly detrimental.
So far OEMs have not shown any interest in actually selling Windows tablets. Except for a few machines most Windows 8 tablets have been unappealing and overpriced.

Believe

Banned
If people cared about these capabilities, they'd already buy Windows machines now. They don't. They'll buy what's cheap and what they are told to buy through marketing. The OS and its capabilities don't factor in much and in case of the Windows brand may even be slightly detrimental.
So far OEMs have not shown any interest in actually selling Windows tablets. Except for a few machines most Windows 8 tablets have been unappealing and overpriced.

I'm probably in the minority of consumers here but I simply want a 8" device that mimics my laptop PC software (full windows) to a T and not one that just upscales my Phone android/iOS - OS to a slightly bigger screen.

One of the reasons why I got rid of my Nexus 7 and decided to wait on a cheap decent full windows 8 tablet to be released.

If people cared about these capabilities, they'd already buy Windows machines now. They don't.

Hmm, I cant think of one tablet owner I know that doesnt also have a desktop or laptop.

As far as Windows tablets, after handling about a dozen at work, pretty much all of them lack that magic that the Galaxy Tab or iPad has. And definitely miss the mark on price/performance.

maeh2k

Hmm, I cant think of one tablet owner I know that doesnt also have a desktop or laptop.

As far as Windows tablets, after handling about a dozen at work, pretty much all of them lack that magic that the Galaxy Tab or iPad has. And definitely miss the mark on price/performance.

LOL. The magic of the Galaxy Tab :). The only magic the Galaxy Tab has is the Galaxy brand which magically gets people to buy Galaxy devices in droves.

Disregarding price/performance I'd take a Surface or a Thinkpad Tablet 2 over a Galaxy Tab any time.

is there a way to let win8 detect the language you are using when you type (in metro apps eg.) so that is uses text correction automatically? I added two languages but I can only manually switch in the tray/charms bar.

Windows key + Space bar switches between installed languages both on the desktop and in apps. Plus, if your second language happens to be Japanese, another added benefit is that it switches directly to hiragana input. That was my favorite thing after upgrading to Win8.

giga

Acer has also priced their 8" tablet (full Windows, not RT) at $379.

http://microsoft-news.com/acer-w3-8-1-inch-windows-8-tablet-listed-on-amazon-for-379-99/

3EKy+

Right.

LOL. The magic of the Galaxy Tab :). The only magic the Galaxy Tab has is the Galaxy brand which magically gets people to buy Galaxy devices in droves.

Disregarding price/performance I'd take a Surface or a Thinkpad Tablet 2 over a Galaxy Tab any time.

The Galaxy Tab was very, very snappy for me and at a crazy low price.

that $379 Acer tablet is the only windows tablet that comes close. The Surface at $899 is basically priced as an ultrabook, and not a tablet.
You do know that those were (perhaps incorrect) amazon listing that has changed since, right?

The PR

Acer Iconia W3-810-1600 Tablet comes with these high level Specs: Intel Atom Dual-Core Processor Z2760, Windows 8, 8.1″ HD 1280 x 800 resolution high-brightness (300-nit) Acer CrystalBrite LED-backlit TFT LCD, 10-Point multi-touch screen, supporting finger touch and image auto rotation, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator with 64MB of dedicated system memory, High-definition audio support, 2048MB of LPDDR2 800 MHz Onboard memory chip support , 32GB Internal Storage, 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless, Bluetooth 4.0+EDR, 2MP Rear-facing camera, 2MP Front-facing camera, 1 – Micro USB 2.0 Port, 1 – Micro-HDMI with HDCP support, 2-Cell Li-Polymer (3500 mAh) Battery, Up to 8-hours Battery Life, 1.1 lbs. – 0.50 kg (tablet only), Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013

Razdek

Banned

I personally don't think RT is necessary if they can get W8 Pro down to the $200-300 price point. If that happens then RT really doesn't a have place as you get more value with W8 Pro. Their real issue is that they have two separate stores for Windows and Windows Phone whereas Apple and Android has them combined. Who is going to want to pay twice for the same app on two different devices?

Razdek

Banned

If there were devices at that price point then people would care but right now there isn't. The lowest ones start at $400+ whereas you can get Android devices for $200. The pricing for RT devices especially has been too high for what you get and the store is still very barren.

Pooya

I just realized that there is no way to change window colors like you can in 7. Say, if you set a dark color in color settings, the text in title bars remains black, basically you can't see anything, lol, how could they miss something basic like that that's been around since Windows 95? you can only change colors if you're using a high contrast theme.

I had to use a patched userstyle to fix this thing, they better get these things fixed in 8.1, it's embarrassing.

Jzero

I just realized that there is no way to change window colors like you can in 7. Say, if you set a dark color in color settings, the text in title bars remains black, basically you can't see anything, lol, how could they miss something basic like that that's been around since Windows 95? you can only change colors if you're using a high contrast theme.

I had to use a patched userstyle to fix this thing, they better get these things fixed in 8.1, it's embarrassing.

I had forgotten about that. I also wonder if that was fixed in 8.1

giga

The Galaxy Tab was very, very snappy for me and at a crazy low price.

that $379 Acer tablet is the only windows tablet that comes close. The Surface at $899 is basically priced as an ultrabook, and not a tablet.

You do know that those were (perhaps incorrect) amazon listing that has changed since, right?

The PR
Of course it's incorrect. I'm wondering why that microsoft-news site is still listing it though. Seems plainly obvious.

Top Bottom