• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

venne

Some info on the CPU section of Bay Trail.

anandtech said:
On single threaded performance, you should expect a 2.4GHz Silvermont to perform like a 1.2GHz Penryn. To put it in perspective of actual systems, we’re talking about around the level of performance of an 11-inch Core 2 Duo MacBook Air from 2010. Keep in mind, I’m talking about single threaded performance here. In heavily threaded applications, a quad-core Silvermont should be able to bat even further up the Penryn line. Intel is able to do all of this with only a 2-wide machine (lower IPC, but much higher frequency thanks to 22nm).

The Dell Latitude with Atom was almost good enough for me. Depending on the improvements on the GPU side, I could see Bay Trail finally offering a good enough tablet solution in terms of performance.

Nero3000

I run Windows 8 on a 5 year old laptop with a Core 2 Duo/Nvidia GT840m and an SSD. This thing originally came with Vista installed.

The thing is not slow at all. Baytrail + fast SSD would be completely acceptable tablet/budget laptop performance.

venne

Surface RT chassis with Baytrail, SATA SSD, the Pro 1080p screen and wacom pen would be perfect with 10hrs battery.

I want the rumored 8" Surface to have Bay Trail and digitizer, but they'll probably put a Tegra 4 in there because RT.

/sadface

Acer CEO optimistic about Windows 8.1, claims Microsoft is back 'down to Earth'
While Microsoft executives have been hinting at the arrival of a Windows 8 update, codenamed Blue, two Acer execs have been voicing their approval of planned changes for the OS. Speaking to The Wall Street Journal, Acer president Jim Wong explained that Microsoft is making alterations "at a high percentage" rate thanks to OEM input. Arguing that the world is not going 100 percent touch in the next five years, he says "touch makes a lot of possibilities for PCs," but that "you need to take care of the rest of the world that doesn’t need touch" too.

Acer CEO and chairman JT Wang is also optimistic about Microsoft's plans. "In the past we consider they [Microsoft] live in heaven," he said to The Wall Street Journal. "But now they go down to earth and they start to learn how people living on earth think."
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/9/4315028/acer-windows-8-changes-microsoft-back-down-to-earth

Magni

So I got my grandmother her first computer for her birthday, running Windows 8. My only experience with it had been through Parallels on my Air, I really like it.

I have one question though, how do you add someone's birthday in the People app?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the phone people app is so much better than the 8 one, W8's contact tiles don't even flip and show new contacts. Really needs some work.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so what's the deal with the surface pro? Is it a good product or not? Anyone here have one? I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was looking to buy a W8 laptop some time in the future, and I just realized the Surface Pro launched recently.

I have one that I got through work. It's pretty nice and I like the type keyboard that came with it. what I don't like

it's obviously version one. For the entry price if I was paying I would wait for the next round of designs.

Theres no docking station. This thing would have had a shot at corporate (the reason we got a couple was cause the CEO wanted a tablet that could just 'get his mails') he loves it. It's quick enough to use as a main machine at our organisation.

windows 8.... I kind of like it more on a desktop than I do on a touch device... sounds weird I know but the flip to desktop mode on the surface is waaay worse than flipping into metro on a desktop.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Got a laptop on order.

ASUS 14" Core i5 2.5 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM (will upgrade to 8 GB once it arrives)

It comes with Win 7 Pro. Is it worth upgrading to Win 8?

Boot times, program loading times, compatibility with legacy software, and overall performance increases are my desires. If Win 8 doesn't do that stuff, I probably have no need to upgrade? Should I upgrade to an SSD HD? Space is not a huge issue, although anything less than 120 GB would be a pain. Best value price for speed on SSD drives?

Cheapest place to upgrade to Win 8 if that is the way to go?

Echoplx

Wait, you can already rename your computer to whatever you want.. Am I missing something?

Edit: Is the 'news' that it's named that by default now? Seems like it could easily be fake, does the source have any history with providing reliable information?

Pooya

Yes, there is no exposed way I know of to change the labels 'Computer' or 'My Computer' in Windows without resource hacking. This is not about the computer name.

you can? just right click and rename, I just did, it's 'This PC' now exactly like the pic :b

1xcy3r.png

I see they removed the libraries and moved it to computer/this pc instead, that's not a good change exactly, I use libraries on the side bar all the time.

derFeef

I am having a problem with the PC usage after the monitor has gone to sleep. I sometimes can't wake the PC back up (only the monitor is going to sleep, as set). The thing stays dark and I have to reset or shut the PC off by pressing the power button (normal shutdown).

Anyone knows this problem?

Jzero

I am having a problem with the PC usage after the monitor has gone to sleep. I sometimes can't wake the PC back up (only the monitor is going to sleep, as set). The thing stays dark and I have to reset or shut the PC off by pressing the power button (normal shutdown).

That's happened to me like 3 times.

Jobiensis

Did you check event viewer log?

I've had 'lockups' where the system was responsive (reply to pings/filesharing), but no video so would end up having to power cycle anyway (RDP would give a blank screen). Also sporadically have had Windows updates being applied and not rebooting causing issues. I haven't had any of these issues for quite a while and presumed they had been fixed.

Just happened to me last night.

derFeef

Just happened to me last night.

Happens almost every sleep now, annoying - and I did not do anything special lately.

I've had 'lockups' where the system was responsive (reply to pings/filesharing), but no video so would end up having to power cycle anyway (RDP would give a blank screen). Also sporadically have had Windows updates being applied and not rebooting causing issues. I haven't had any of these issues for quite a while and presumed they had been fixed.

Nothing in there except the critical ones when I reset.

Zeknurn

Check if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard.

Seattle Times blog post about the ads

Another weird thing about them: They’re not in any language that we can recognize.

Those of us at The Seattle Times who speak Japanese, Korean, Mandarin Chinese or Cantonese Chinese say it’s not in those languages.

Microsoft declined to say what language the ads are in, issuing only the statement that: “We created these online-only social videos for the Asian market, where they were well-received.”

So: Any of readers know what language is being spoken?

Why would MS decline to say what language they are?

Birbo

My Windows 8 machine won't sleep. It automatically wakes up after only a few seconds. Anyone else have that problem?

dLMN8R

My Windows 8 machine won't sleep. It automatically wakes up after only a few seconds. Anyone else have that problem?

From an command prompt, run this command:

powercfg /lastwake

It'll tell you what component in the system is waking up your machine. Chances are, it's an Intel LAN chip. Load it up in Device Manager, go to Properties, go to the Power Management tab, and disable "Allow this device to wake the computer".

Solved the problem for me.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

This has happened to me for months. In fact it just happened today. I'm remoting into different PCs at work right now.

Usually it starts with something not working on the Windows 8 PC. Like remote desktop, or some other app. It won't reboot now matter if I use CMD reboot/restart or alt+F4.

MS, fix this.

you can? just right click and rename, I just did, it's 'This PC' now exactly like the pic :b

1xcy3r.png

I see they removed the libraries and moved it to computer/this pc instead, that's not a good change exactly, I use libraries on the side bar all the time.

Well don't forget that what we're seeing is a work in progress... They may have other changes coming.

Also, you can still add whatever folders you want to the Favorites area.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
In addition to the optional Start Button and boot-to-desktop options, there may be other interface adjustments in the works, according to one of my Blue tipsters. I hear the Windows team may also be tweaking the Charms to make them a bit easier to use with a mouse. There might be new built-in tutorials and in-context help coming to Blue. And word is there may be adjustments to the Start Screen designed to make Blue easier to use for Desktop users. One of my sources said some of these tweaks may not be in the Windows Blue preview release coming at the end of June, but that they still could make it into the final product.
http://www.zdnet.com/with-windows-blue-microsoft-may-finally-do-the-right-thing-7000015237/

Top Bottom