• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

So... Apparently both WP 8.1 and xbone are getting notification center, but there's no info on such feature being present in W8.1... What gives?

To be honest, I don't mind the absence of a notification center that much, but something is really bothering with live tiles: Most of the apps that shows something on the live tiles have the actual content hidden when you open the app... That's kinda of annoying. I'm constantly getting a headline for a news that caught up my interest, but them when I touch the tile to see it, it's so hidden I can't even find it.

Is this the apps or the OS fault? I mean, is there an api which devs could use to see that I clicked on the tile when a notification was active and take me directly to that and people are just not using it, or there is no such thing?

PG2G

I don't think that API exists and if it did it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use because more often than not you'd want to open it up in the standard way instead of whatever the live tile indicates.

The apps just need to be better designed

neoism

thank you yeah if all goes well i will do that i have a 160 gb external lol but windows is soooo damn slow right now plus explorer.exe freezes all the time so but it will take so long to reinstall all my drivers and games:*( it definitely needs it though

thanks again for the link never really have a good experience installing windows ever lool not really sure why I have gone to apple's os but after 12 hours lol it finally installed windows 7.. my damn key wouldn't even work I had to to the call in thing with the bunch of numbers to get it to genuine.. smh.. I even called Microsoft at one point and they said nothing but buy WIN 8.. -_-

lololol welp i spoke to soon motherfucking Firefox 23 destroys my system everything was working fine until i upgrade to 23 22 worked fine but 23 just fucks my whole system up :*******(

maeh2k

So... Apparently both WP 8.1 and xbone are getting notification center, but there's no info on such feature being present in W8.1... What gives?

On Windows 8 they have all the time in the world. It's not like there are any apps that do anything worth notifying the user about. :)

neoism

You could always try the 24 Beta
i would but windows will not even start:/ it freezes wouldnt even restart right now im on my win7 boot usb i just dont understand why it just fucks it alll up :/ its time to use chrome Firefox can go fuck its self system worked perfect for 3 hours until i installed 23....... took 12 HOURS to reinstall windows so i could get some if my files in my external hd.... :*( that i didnt even get around to doing yet.

I don't think that API exists and if it did it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use because more often than not you'd want to open it up in the standard way instead of whatever the live tile indicates.

The apps just need to be better designed

You are probably right, every time something like that occurs it does seem like could be solved with a better design.

On Windows 8 they have all the time in the world. It's not like there are any apps that do anything worth notifying the user about. :)

LOL, so true XD

But even with the few apps W8 already has I can see that being useful, if the actionable toast features are also usable from the NC...

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I have a question for those who've used Windows 8.1:

Do you know if MS has improved how Windows 8 handles WiFi disconnections? It's annoying when I wake up the tablet and it doesn't automatically reconnect even though I told it to automatically reconnect. I have to manually go and click connect (which is made worse by seeing the checked box that says to automatically connect). I can understand if it's not automatically reconnecting because I told it not to or because I manually disconnected but that's never the case. I would even understand if the OS had no way of telling which SSID to use or the signal strength but this isn't the case either. It has both of those pieces information. Its almost as though it was an overlooked design piece.

SPDIF

I have a question for those who've used Windows 8.1:

Do you know if MS has improved how Windows 8 handles WiFi disconnections? It's annoying when I wake up the tablet and it doesn't automatically reconnect even though I told it to automatically reconnect. I have to manually go and click connect (which is made worse by seeing the checked box that says to automatically connect). I can understand if it's not automatically reconnecting because I told it not to or because I manually disconnected but that's never the case. I would even understand if the OS had no way of telling which SSID to use or the signal strength but this isn't the case either. It has both of those pieces information. Its almost as though it was an overlooked design piece.

I never had that problem using Windows 8, and I don't have that problem using 8.1. Could it possibly be a driver issue on your end?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I never had that problem using Windows 8, and I don't have that problem using 8.1. Could it possibly be a driver issue on your end?

It may be I suppose (it doesn't always do this though)... I'm using a Lenovo Lynx T3 tablet... it works great other than this WiFi issue though.

dLMN8R

If you've seen your wifi disconnecting, it's definitely not a "feature" to be improved in 8.1...they're bugs, so it's quite likely they've already been fixed in 8 more recently.

If not, not every bug fix in 8.1 is going to go down to 8, so there's still a chance that your issues will be resolved in 8.1.

Dramos

So I just got 8.1 Pro today and I'm noticing some issues with the smoothness of animations compared to 8. Can anyone confirm?

Oh, so just out of curiosity I checked my Dreamspark Premium account and found to my surprise that it isn't expired and doesn't expire for another year.

So downloading 8.1 RTM right now.

Can some help me understand why scrolling slows down to a crawl, then ceases to function along with accurate touch on windows 8? Is it a Chrome issue?

Hi from 8.1 RTM!

Apparently you need to manually fire up the SkyDrive app in order to get it to download your SkyDrive files to your computer.

Addnan

Posted a while ago about password not disabling. It's asking me for password every time I start the PC. It's disabled in the settings and stuff and had been since I installed Windows 8. It just randomly started asking for a password few months ago. Anyone else have a fix?

Couple of things:
-I am shocked to find that the build of IE included in 8.1 RTM is still wildly unstable.
-Finding a driver or getting Windows to recognize a touchpad is something that's apparently extraordinarily difficult.

Other than that 8.1 is very nice. Solid performance and stability improvements over the beta.

Couple of things:
-I am shocked to find that the build of IE included in 8.1 RTM is still wildly unstable.
-Finding a driver or getting Windows to recognize a touchpad is something that's apparently extraordinarily difficult.

Other than that 8.1 is very nice. Solid performance and stability improvements over the beta.

Posts like that would be more useful if you would go into detail a bit more. What's so unusable about IE11?

stktt

Banned
I occasionally get an issue where the browser refuses to render any pages. No error messages, and it's not a memory issue on my part. Every tab will fully load but default to a blank page. Other than that, it's been pretty stable.

hadareud

The Translator
Posts like that would be more useful if you would go into detail a bit more. What's so unusable about IE11?

Unstable.

And it is, very unstable. Crashes, tabs freeze all the time when you try to swipe back etc. Then there's a few UI inconsistencies (behaviour is not always the same when swiping up from the bottom etc.). Honestly, it's a bit shit. Let's hope the final version will have been sorted out.

Unstable.

And it is, very unstable. Crashes, tabs freeze all the time when you try to swipe back etc. Then there's a few UI inconsistencies (behaviour is not always the same when swiping up from the bottom etc.). Honestly, it's a bit shit. Let's hope the final version will have been sorted out.

For some reason I read unusable instead of unstable. That's a real shame to hear. Is the desktop version just as unstable?

MCD

Desktop crashes a lot, got a lot of bugs like copy/paste tends to be hard among other things.

However, since this isn't the final version, things could be fixed anyway.

hadareud

The Translator
Desktop seems fine, but I haven't used it a lot (RT).

It seems that they've changed their philosophy when it comes to preview releases. In the past they were rock solid, the 8.1 release was anything but (there's a few other quite serious bugs when it comes to SD cards, search etc.). But with holding back the RTM for as long as they did and still working on it until the last minute, it looks like a different approach this time around.

Let's see if that approach works for them and whether the final release will actually be ready when it's released.

Yeah sorry, I realized that I didn't share details.

If you have more than five tabs open, it becomes very unstable. Pages will commonly only load as white backgrounds and then after a while it will say all the tabs crashed and reloads all of them. Flash also crashes on a very regular basis. These were both common issues I experienced with the IE in the beta build as well. This is in the desktop btw.

On a brighter note, there are some nice new snapping behavior for certain things. For example, when I clicked on a Twitter toast, it opened the mention in a 20 snap on the right side of the screen. It was pretty neat.

Razdek

Banned
There's no way for me to activate my W8 Pro key on the 8.1 RTM if I'm not part of MSDN/TechNet right?

I don't think so, I had to generate a 8.1 key from my MSDN in order to install it but you maybe able to change the key after the install back to the W8 Pro key. So I guess all you would need is a 8.1 key just for the install.

Yesterday I installed 8.1 (Thanks Dreamspark), hoping that my problem is gone.

I turn my PC on today and the first hour was normal. Then the same thing happened:

zjArdwE.jpg

ZsSAkHi.jpg

Still have this. In browsers, Games and such things everything shows up correctly. It seems just programs that use the standard windows-font (I guess) cant display unicode-characters right.

thundr51

Just curious, has anybody tried the BlazBlue CT port on the store? Thinking about biting only for tiny chance to maybe see more PC ports.

partridge

Yesterday I installed 8.1 (Thanks Dreamspark), hoping that my problem is gone.

I turn my PC on today and the first hour was normal. Then the same thing happened:

zjArdwE.jpg

ZsSAkHi.jpg

Still have this. In browsers, Games and such things everything shows up correctly. It seems just programs that use the standard windows-font (I guess) cant display unicode-characters right.
Here's my reply from the previous page:
Do you have Google Chrome installed? If you open up Chrome immediately after you turn on the computer, it messes up Windows' capability to display Unicode characters. It's been a known issue of Google Chrome for a while now:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=42984
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=102449
If Chrome is indeed the cause, just open up a different program such as the Music app and use it to display the non-Latin characters first thing you turn on the computer before using Chrome.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why but several keys on my keyboard are giving the wrong results on my laptop running 8.1 all of a sudden. Anybody ever have this happen to them?

Walshicus

Need advice: do I stay at 7 or upgrade to 8.1?

Depends. Win 8.1 will be just plain better (and don't forget you can make it *look* like 7 if you don't really want the Modern UI stuff)... but whether it's worth the cost of upgrade is dependent on circumstance.

jokkir

I have a problem where my computers input hangs randomly and makes beeping noises when I try to press a button. The program I'm on isn't freezing because it seems like it's still moving full speed and is just the input like my mouse and keyboard.

I tried reformatting but that didn't work and never happened to me while I was on Windows 7.

I'm on a Windows 8 x64 Enterprise machine.

Top Bottom