• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

just booted up my laptop with Windows 8 on it, and now it will only let me use a temporary profile. as if I didn't have enough fucking computer problems lately.

Anyone else getting the Dell Venue 8 Pro next week? Not sure if I want to get this or wait for the Asus one.

I'll wait for reviews and maybe get it at the end of the year.

E: It entirely depends on the stylus. If it's Wacom, I'll definitely get it at some point.

Zeknurn

Anyone else getting the Dell Venue 8 Pro next week? Not sure if I want to get this or wait for the Asus one.

I'm tempted as I'll have the chance to pick one up in the US making it half the price compared to here.

Does anyone know if the 32GB tablets with Windows 8.1 and Office have a decent amount of storage available this time? The rather terrible Acer 8 inch tablet had around 12GB available but it was running Windows 8 and I'm wondering if they have done anything to address this. Microsoft stopped selling Surfaces with 32GB storage which might be an indication.

I'll wait for reviews and maybe get it at the end of the year.

E: It entirely depends on the stylus. If it's Wacom, I'll definitely get it at some point.

Engadget says it's a Synaptics digitiser Which is less than ideal.

Nope, just have a shortcut to my user profile folder like OSX does and that's all one should need.

Because I don't like useless crap that I can't turn off appear on the left pane? If you're just going to have labels, why bother with having folders in your file system at all?
I hate Gmail labels for this exact reason.

I'm terrified of my User Folder, its just filled with junk that programs put in there. Libraries all the way, Go into Programming, pulls in my programming folders from Dropbox in Skydrive.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I also like custom Libraries. They're really good to group different sets of folders into one easy-to-reach place.

Windows 8 installed an update and I can't even get my laptop to boot up anymore. Automatic repair fails. System restore worked but I restarted windows and now I'm in the exact same position - wont boot, repair fails.

Brand new laptop... but I suspect I already have to do a clean install at this point.

Wow, took a look at the Venue 8 Pro based on your excitement and man, that could be a very nice tablet.

I know my excitement for the tablet got killed once I found out it didn't use a Wacom digitizer. But that doesn't make it a worse 8" Windows tablet. In fact, out of the three announced 8" devices, it's probably the best one.

dLMN8R

Disappointing that the Venue 8 is a paltry 1280x800 though, especially when the latest Nexus, Kindle, and upcoming iPad Minis will pretty much double that.

MCD

Disappointing that the Venue 8 is a paltry 1280x800 though, especially when the latest Nexus, Kindle, and upcoming iPad Minis will pretty much double that.

It's $300 with full desktop and Office.

What's truly disappointing is the lack of HDMI port.

maeh2k

I still find the Venue Pro 8 quite interesting. It may not be Wacom, but then again I don't draw. For handwriting and annotating stuff this will probably be fine.

Now that I may postpone purchasing a 'real' PC, an affordable tablet becomes more interesting. Just downloaded a bunch of e-books (as .pdf) that I might want to read on my way to work every day. Reading on an 8" tablet might work better than on my 13" Macbook.
Looking forward to the availability and the reviews of all the new Windows tablets.

MCD

I still find the Venue Pro 8 quite interesting. It may not be Wacom, but then again I don't draw. For handwriting and annotating stuff this will probably be fine.

Now that I may postpone purchasing a 'real' PC, an affordable tablet becomes more interesting. Just downloaded a bunch of e-books (as .pdf) that I might want to read on my way to work every day. Reading on an 8" tablet might work better than on my 13" Macbook.
Looking forward to the availability and the reviews of all the new Windows tablets.

Exactly! it's a companion device or consumption.

Treo360

Start button in the bottom left. Still brings up the Start Screen but is more obvious than 'just click on the bottom left that has no visual indicator whatsoever'.

Can right click the start button to bring up Power options, among other things.

Easier to name groups on the Start Screen.
Installed programs don't immediately pin to Start, but appear in the All Programs view and can be pinned from there if you choose.

More stable (I had Windows 8.1 ruin my Office installations, they just refused to open under 8.1, that's fixed now.)

I'm sure there are other changes, but they're the ones I noticed mostly.
in rt, the ability to install games to desktop seems to have been broken/fixed (if you're ms).

It's borked on my surface rt, and I'm none to happy about it. I'm tempted to revert back to 8.0 :|

Husker86

Windows 8 installed an update and I can't even get my laptop to boot up anymore. Automatic repair fails. System restore worked but I restarted windows and now I'm in the exact same position - wont boot, repair fails.

Brand new laptop... but I suspect I already have to do a clean install at this point.
I had a similar thing happen on my desktop a while back, it had to do with a Windows Nvidia driver that conflicted with Nvidia software. Do you have an Nvidia video card?

Does anyone know if the version of Windows 8.1 on Dreamspark/MSDNAA is the same as the retail version? I grabbed and installed it but have a weird watermark in the lower right corner that makes me think otherwise:

Windows 8.1 Pro
Secure boot is not configured correctly
Build 9600

I enabled Secure Boot in BIOS (didn't set up keys as I have no idea what that means) but that didn't help. If I find out what the keys are/do, I'll try again.

Meanwhile, is the watermark only related to that, and this removable if I fix it? I guess I just want to make sure it's the final retail build, otherwise I'll just put 8 on and wait the few extra days.

Schrade

Does anyone know if the version of Windows 8.1 on Dreamspark/MSDNAA is the same as the retail version? I grabbed and installed it but have a weird watermark in the lower right corner that makes me think otherwise:

Windows 8.1 Pro
Build 9600

I enabled Secure Boot in BIOS (didn't set up keys as I have no idea what that means) but that didn't help. If I find out what the keys are/do, I'll try again.

Meanwhile, is the watermark only related to that, and this removable if I fix it? I guess I just want to make sure it's the final retail build, otherwise I'll just put 8 on and wait the few extra days.

Usually the watermark is there when the OS is not activated. Have you activated it yet?

Build 9600 is the same as Windows 8.1 RTM that's on MSDN. RTM stands for Release To Manufacturing.

dLMN8R

Windows 8.1 Pro
Build 9600

I'm not sure about the Secure Boot message, but yes the versions of Windows 8.1 will be the same.

The only difference will be that if you do the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 through the Store, most if not all of those GA updates will be baked into the download, instead of needing to come down separately through Windows Update afterward.

Usually the watermark is there when the OS is not activated. Have you activated it yet?

Build 9600 is the same as Windows 8.1 RTM that's on MSDN. RTM stands for Release To Manufacturing.
Yep, it's activated. I just checked System Info inside Control Panel.

I'm not sure about the Secure Boot message, but yes the versions of Windows 8.1 will be the same.

The only difference will be that if you do the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 through the Store, most if not all of those GA updates will be baked into the download, instead of needing to come down separately through Windows Update afterward.
Hmm, OK. Thanks. I'm trying to figure out what the "cleanest" approach would be. Having just done a fresh wipe, I want to start off on the right foot for this build.

Cuyejo

Bought 8.1 Pro from one guy on reddit who was selling it for 20 dollars, I couldn't pass the chance. Installed and I've been fiddling around a bit with it, I love it, it's so snappy compared to Windows 7. There's one catch though, the guy was selling only the 8.1 Pro N version, which doesn't include the Media Center/Player, it has to be downloaded from MS, but as 8.1 hasn't been officially released there's no way to get it yet.

Windows 8.1 Pro
Build 9600

I had that Secure Boot message as well. There's an option in modern motherboard BIOS/UEFI settings to enable Secure Boot. Turn that on and the message disappears.

DagsJT

Will there be a separate 8.1 iso? I need to rebuild my PC but would rather just install 8.1 fresh rather than 8 and then upgrade.

I had that Secure Boot message as well. There's an option in modern motherboard BIOS/UEFI settings to enable Secure Boot. Turn that on and the message disappears.
I had to not only then it on but setup passwords for user and supervisor. This was on an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4.

Anyways, the Watermark's gone now. Just have to decide whether to stick with this or do 8 then upgrade.

Is this a thing? On battery power my laptop works fine. But if you plug it in at work it freezes after about 30 seconds, have to force a reboot and it will freeze again about 30 seconds after it restarts. Now I unplug it and it's fine again.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Hopefully upgrading from 8 to 8.1 doesn't fuck up my current install. I really don't want to format.

I had to not only then it on but setup passwords for user and supervisor. This was on an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4.

Anyways, the Watermark's gone now. Just have to decide whether to stick with this or do 8 then upgrade.

Interesting, I have the same board and just checked what I did. Enabled Secure boot, and there was an option to generate Secure Boot codes or something like that. Once I'd done that all was well.

Walshicus

Lol yet again a lot of Web Analytics packages are unprepared for some of the major changes coming...

The solutions I use at work all think Windows 8.1 is in fact Windows NT (same issue we had when Win 8 was released), and that IE 11 is in fact Firefox...

Lenovo finally announced the Miix2 8" Windows 8.1 tablet. Same specs as the Dell Venue 8 Pro (Bay Trail, 1280x800 screen, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB storage, Office 2013) and also an optional pen.

I reeeeeeally hope they didn't use Synaptics as well.

Zeknurn

I thought Lenovos 8 inch tablet had been delayed until spring but apparently it's coming out in October. Either way it killed my interest in the Venue 8 Pro.

Lenovo finally announced the Miix2 8" Windows 8.1 tablet. Same specs as the Dell Venue 8 Pro (Bay Trail, 1280x800 screen, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB storage, Office 2013) and also an optional pen.

I reeeeeeally hope they didn't use Synaptics as well.

Oh it will probably have a Synaptics active digitiser.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Why not just refresh?

I'm thinking of doing that if/when I update to 8.1.

I might, last time I did that though it screwed up my computer. I was receiving a black screen when I booted up after refreshing, I couldn't see shit, just a black screen, no error messages or anything.

venne

Zeknurn

Top Bottom