• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

daviyoung

Banned
I have a problem where my computers input hangs randomly and makes beeping noises when I try to press a button. The program I'm on isn't freezing because it seems like it's still moving full speed and is just the input like my mouse and keyboard.

I tried reformatting but that didn't work and never happened to me while I was on Windows 7.

I'm on a Windows 8 x64 Enterprise machine.

sounds like a display driver issue

PG2G

Same store doesn't have to mean that the apps will run on both devices. Hopefully it would at least allow for the buy for one get for all scenario

So spring 2014, single app store for Xbox one, WP8.1 and W8.1. Yey!

That doesn't make any sense. We'd need SDKs for that by now and the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK is nowhere near ready to be released to the public. Neither does the Windows 8.1 SDK any hints in that direction. Store merge won't happen with 8.1.

dLMN8R

Tom Warren really fucked up with the bullshit he's spreading in that leaked story. He'll just blame it on Microsoft though.

So I logged into dreamspark today and I have the ability to download Windows 8.1 Professional. There is no way this is the final Windows 8.1...right? Isn't it not suppose to come out for another couple weeks?

So I logged into dreamspark today and I have the ability to download Windows 8.1 Professional. There is no way this is the final Windows 8.1...right? Isn't it not suppose to come out for another couple weeks?

It is the RTM (will assumingly be a series of Windows Update's and app updates lined up for GA).

But, yeah it's the real thing, downloaded and installed from Dreamspark myself a few days ago.

It is the RTM (will assumingly be a series of Windows Update's and app updates lined up for GA).

But, yeah it's the real thing, downloaded and installed from Dreamspark myself a few days ago.

Awesome. Maybe I should grab it.
Anything I should know when installing it?

I would be going from Windows 8 Pro W/ Media Center on my Desktop (my desktop isn't in the beta)

Well, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 without a problem. All my settings which I previously set up on my laptop (Its on the 8.1 preview) transferred over so I only had to make minimal adjustments, mainly to my desktop themes.

Windows%208%20Metro.png

jokkir

If you go to the 8.1 preview, can you go to the 8.1 full version without hassle? I want to check it out but if it's too much work afterwards to get back to the normal version, i might just skip on it

maeh2k

If you go to the 8.1 preview, can you go to the 8.1 full version without hassle? I want to check it out but if it's too much work afterwards to get back to the normal version, i might just skip on it

At this point I wouldn't bother with the preview. 8.1 launches in less than three weeks.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Don't do it, you'll have to wipe everything going from the preview to the final version. Just wait for the final release.

Just wait for the full version. The only reason I upgraded early was because I got the full version of 8.1 from Dreamspark

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
oh wow you can even make start default to all apps?

Looking forward to 8.1, seems like a big step up.

Is by any chance W8.1 incompatible with IIS?
Even though IIS 8.0 express is installed, I can't open any VS project that uses it, even creating a new one yields an error... Tried on 2 different machines, both clean installs. On Windows 8 simply installing VS is all I need to do to get IIS up and running, on *.1 I had to enable it from the "Turn Features on and Off" but even that didn't worked...

Also, I don't get why you are offered to restore to a previous backup or set up as a new Pc when reinstalling 8.1... All the things you would expect that are not synced between devices*, but that should be saved on the backup are either not saved, or not restored... And you have to set them up just like you would from a blank install...

*Stuff like always showing all taskbar notification icons, view options on Windows Explorer, that I want to sync email from more than 2 weeks or even my email signature on the mail app (BTW, why those options are not synced with your profile too? Specially the signature), paired Bluetooth devices, game save data (the only ones that were restored were the ones that already sync between profiles), and app save data (login info, and actual content from the app)...

Does this need app support?

Elija2

Sometimes my laptop will install HP printer software and drivers by itself. I'm thinking it does this because it's detecting someone else's wireless printer. How do I stop it from doing that?

I wonder how long it will take Microsoft to implement the Windows Phone audio search to Windows 8. I find myself often having to run to my phone to grab songs which are playing during podcasts.

Gav

Looking for a bit of advice.

I built a new PC about a year ago, and installed Windows 7 with it.
On the release of Windows 8, i downloaded and installed the upgrade.

Its my first Windows machine in a few years, but with my last PC's I always liked a clean install of Windows every year or so, so im thinking about doing that now. Can i clean install 8.1? Or would i be best installing 8 and then updating? I have a bootable USB with W8 on it. Or do i need to install W7 and upgrade through 8 again?
Following on from that, what happens with Windows activation/CD keys if i only have a Windows 7 disc and did the update to W8? And again, what would i use if i clean installed 8.1?

When installing W7, i had so much grief with installing MoBo and SSD etc drivers. Likely to have the same issues when i fresh install 8/8.1?

Thanks!

Looking for a bit of advice.

I built a new PC about a year ago, and installed Windows 7 with it.
On the release of Windows 8, i downloaded and installed the upgrade.

Its my first Windows machine in a few years, but with my last PC's I always liked a clean install of Windows every year or so, so im thinking about doing that now. Can i clean install 8.1? Or would i be best installing 8 and then updating? I have a bootable USB with W8 on it. Or do i need to install W7 and upgrade through 8 again?
Following on from that, what happens with Windows activation/CD keys if i only have a Windows 7 disc and did the update to W8? And again, what would i use if i clean installed 8.1?

When installing W7, i had so much grief with installing MoBo and SSD etc drivers. Likely to have the same issues when i fresh install 8/8.1?

Thanks!
You'll be fine going from 8 to 8.1. From what it seems like, Microsoft is trying to fix up how updating has been in the past so that wiping the drive wont be required to get a working upgrade.

Anyhow, if you go from 7 to 8, you will will need a CD key for 8 to complete the upgrade. If you go from 8-8.1 you wont need a CD Key to upgrade, but if you directly upgrade to 8.1 through an ISO you will need a CD Key for either 8.1 (Not sure if regular 8 keys will work).

Anyhow, its much easier and less of a hassle just doing 8-8.1.

Gav

You'll be fine going from 8 to 8.1. From what it seems like, Microsoft is trying to fix up how updating has been in the past so that wiping the drive wont be required to get a working upgrade.

Anyhow, if you go from 7 to 8, you will will need a CD key for 8 to complete the upgrade. If you go from 8-8.1 you wont need a CD Key to upgrade, but if you directly upgrade to 8.1 through an ISO you will need a CD Key for either 8.1 (Not sure if regular 8 keys will work).

Anyhow, its much easier and less of a hassle just doing 8-8.1.

So, if i wanted to wipe my drive and install 8 again, do i have to start with 7 and the Key i got with that and then upgrade (as all i bought was an upgrade when 8 was released)? Or can i install 8 with the upgrade key i have?

Here's my reply from the previous page:

If Chrome is indeed the cause, just open up a different program such as the Music app and use it to display the non-Latin characters first thing you turn on the computer before using Chrome.

Nope. Never used google chrome. Still have the problems.

One suggestion was to make a file on the desktop with unicode-characters. I did that, but it didnt really help. Already have the file on the desktop for about 1 week.

Victarion

I got Win 8.1 for free through my University's dream spark, and holy shit it's waaaaay better than Win 8. I couldn't stand Win 8 at all but 8.1 is now my favorite OS.

Mr_Zombie

For those, who already have the final version of 8.1 - is it any different than the beta that was released few weeks ago? Aside from stability (although I haven't had any problems with the prerelease version of 8.1) are there any substantial changes worth noticing?

Anyone wanna give a very quick and simple rundown of how 8.1 is different?

Start button in the bottom left. Still brings up the Start Screen but is more obvious than 'just click on the bottom left that has no visual indicator whatsoever'.

Can right click the start button to bring up Power options, among other things.

Easier to name groups on the Start Screen.
Installed programs don't immediately pin to Start, but appear in the All Programs view and can be pinned from there if you choose.

More stable (I had Windows 8.1 ruin my Office installations, they just refused to open under 8.1, that's fixed now.)

I'm sure there are other changes, but they're the ones I noticed mostly.

coldfoot

Banned
Being able to shut off Libraries COMPLETELY properly without hacking the registry and breaking app compatibility alone makes 8.1 much much better than 7. Yes!

coldfoot

Banned
But the library feature is awesome.
Nope, just have a shortcut to my user profile folder like OSX does and that's all one should need.
Why would you want to shut off Libraries? I think they are a great feature.
Because I don't like useless crap that I can't turn off appear on the left pane? If you're just going to have labels, why bother with having folders in your file system at all?
I hate Gmail labels for this exact reason.

Top Bottom