• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

suko_32

Ugh, all my custom tiles I made are gone after the update. Oh well, all that means is I'll have to make them again.

I do like how there's an extra 14GB-ish or so free space now after deleting windows.old and updating to 8.1.

jagowar

Anybody having issues playing music when the pc monitor is turned off on a surface pro?

On my surface pro I was playing music and closed the smartcover and the music stopped (tried the xbox music app and nokia music). I could have sworn it used to play when the cover was closed or screen was powered off.

The Cowboy

Ugh, all my custom tiles I made are gone after the update. Oh well, all that means is I'll have to make them again.

I do like how there's an extra 14GB-ish or so free space now after deleting windows.old and updating to 8.1.

Oblytile has export/import backup options.

in oblytile (I assume you used this), on the 2nd panel the last option is export/import, when you select export if transfers all the tile settings/images to a folder as a backup (I skydrived mine).

Then afterwards you simply select import and link it to the folder and it will make every tile back as they used to be.

suko_32

in oblytile (I assume you used this), on the 2nd panel the last option is export/import, when you select export if transfers all the tile settings/images to a folder as a backup (I skydrived mine).

Then afterwards you simply select import and link it to the folder and it will make every tile back as they used to be.

Oh I see. Thanks for the tip.

mm04

Great friggin' tip. Thanks.

Blablurn

clipboard01zofc1.jpg

huh?

Save Start is not configured correctly?

Just downloaded the update from the store.

Quick

Banned
I suspected the update wouldn't co-operate with my custom tiles made with OblyTile, and just remove them. Thanks for the tip.

coldfoot

Banned
Can't update to 8.1 because my users folder is in another partition. So anyone who says "but you can move the users folder to a different partition if you like" is WRONG, obviously it causes lots of problems. What a shit OS that doesn't work when the Users folder is in a different partition.
Thank goodness this is just a HTPC and not my main computer.

The Cowboy

Just great, having issues with the PC and devices section not working so decided to do a refresh, can't do it because it needs an 8.1 disk for missing files.

Blablurn

That was random. Had some black screens flickering up and then landed back on the Lockscreen. Logged in, and installed some stuff (drivers?)

Groof

So I come back home to the download saying that the install failed and now it has to redownload everything from scratch...
At least it seems to be going quicker this time.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Running great so far!

Some really nice changes. Using my desktop background in the Start screen is nice. I love the new search as well. Adding shutdown to the Win-X menu is nice as well. Everything seems snappier as well, especially the Start screen.

Also, I got back 26 gigs of space on my C drive!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Well something went wrong with my update. Set it go the did some stuff came back to a blue screen saying my system folder was gone and I had to recover. Spent rest of day reinstalling windows 8 :(

Took about 15mins to download for me, but decided that I need a bios update to complete installation.

I have a Sony Vaio Duo 13 that's only a couple of months old and has the most up to date bios available.

Anyone got any ideas what I can do?

Addnan

Don't know whats up, but since going 8.1 Netflix through any browser has a red tint during videos.

edit: CTRL+T removed it. Not sure what that does though, something about 3D something.

Makabe

My resolution has been a bit iffy in certain programs since the update, is that to do with the programs not updating yet? E.g. Chrome looks weird and fuzzy, while Firefox looks as it should.

Blablurn

Had some problems with some games which made me poop my pants. FIFA looked liked shit and Mortal Kombat didn't work because it said not enough video memory. Turned out I need to change settings in the NVIDIA control area. Changing it to "use NVIDIA card at all time". Laptop User btw.

dLMN8R

My resolution has been a bit iffy in certain programs since the update, is that to do with the programs not updating yet? E.g. Chrome looks weird and fuzzy, while Firefox looks as it should.

Yep, it's because Chrome still doesn't support the DPI scaling that Windows has supported for nearly a decade.

After getting fed up with developers not adopting it, the team decided to force-scale anything that didn't properly support it, resulting in those apps looking fuzzy. Same thing that the latest OS X started doing with the introduction of the Retina Pro.

Groof

What the fuck. After waiting for the update to finish for what felt like forever, I get BSOD'd and told to search for DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. What gives?

Jzero

What the fuck. After waiting for the update to finish for what felt like forever, I get BSOD'd and told to search for DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. What gives?

Why do i feel like the same thing is going to happen to me? haha

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Don't know whats up, but since going 8.1 Netflix through any browser has a red tint during videos.

edit: CTRL+T removed it. Not sure what that does though, something about 3D something.

Go into Nvidia Control Panel and turn off Enable 3D.

Bullza2o

Installed 8.1. Now I'm having graphics driver issues again :(
I have an HP with switchable graphics (Radeon HD 5470), and CCC isn't working anymore.

Quick

Banned
Running nicely so far. Lost my custom tiles as expected, but that's easily recoverable, and I wanted to start fresh anyway.

Is there still no option to set up a separate password to log in? My fingers/brain is just used to the password I've been using on Windows for years. lol

Groof

So after a lengthy restoration process my PC is back up and running. No one knows what might've been the issue? Would definitely like to know before I devote another couple of hours to this...

8.1 seems to have messed up my 'System reserved' partition during the update. It won't optimise even though it's got the "Needs Optimisation" flag. Event Viewer shows "System Reserved The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)" every time I run it, and a quick search shows others with this issue but no solution as far as I can see.

Bullza2o

Anybody experiencing slowdowns? It's really slow for me, especially booting up and when on desktop, opening control panel. I'm not sure what's going on.

Top Bottom