• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

PG2G

I think I updated my RT (from preview) but now the Windows Store doesn't even get past the splash screen. Maybe its just being hammered right now?

hadareud

The Translator
I had the same thing.

Restart your surface and the store should open.

Also, if the update isn't showing in the store, search and run WSReset.exe to clear the cache - apparently then it should show up.

I'd I knew it would take this lomg to install I would have waited until I got home. But it finished right on time before I left give or take a few minutes

Mohasus

iEWhXSxu27cxB.jpg

Nice joke MS, how am I supposed to do this with a mouse?

hwalker84

You have to reinstall all programs. How is that an upgrade?

So you only get to keep your personal files. Might as well do a fresh install.

They told you what the deal was when you signed up for the preview.

My PC isn't prompting for the update even when I click the link. Just opens up the store and nothing happens.

Milchjon

The Verge review isn't bad, and I like Tom Warren, but a 9 for Ecosystem is kinda hilarious. If Windows can't get full points there, what can? A cooking stove?

hadareud

The Translator
It's definitely quite a bit leaner than W8 btw.

I've 17.2 GB of free space on my Surface RT (32GB) after getting rid of Windows.old and there's around 2 GB worth of apps on there.

With the other files I think it's fair to say that you get around 20 gig of free space out of the 32GB, which isn't too bad at all (was definitely no more than 15 or so before).

The Cowboy

Gained just over 10gb after the update with all apps/items installed as before.

Before the update I had 15.1gb available, after the update and after removing the windows.old file I have 25.6gb.

Very nice.
---
Question, anyone know how to disable the new charms bar offsetting when using a mouse (in that if you scroll up from the bottom the charms are towards the bottom), I hate it and want them back to being central.

Blitzhex

W8.1 is great, it has all these tiny changes that make life easier, also windows+f search works way better from the desktop now. The update freed up 10 gb on my windows partition as well.

Azih

Seriously since Windows 7 the core of MS operating systems has been getting more and more efficient and solid and stable. It's the opposite of bloat.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
W8.1 is great, it has all these tiny changes that make life easier, also windows+f search works way better from the desktop now. The update freed up 10 gb on my windows partition as well.
the search function does not seperate it into groups now. no need to hit f. just windows key. Although I guess if you don't want to open up the start screen and just the side menu, the F, or S and W modifiers work better. But imo just hitting windows key+typing is faster.

hadareud

The Translator
The new mail app is bloody great.

Even the notifications work.

Still not sold on the new search, though. I much preferred the W8 search where you could easily search any app from anywhere.

suko_32

Downloading 8.1 right now for my ultrabook and am excited to see some of the improvements.

Also excited about the extra free space you guys are talking about.

Windu

This is going to annoy me.

http://i.picpar.com/nAx.png

Edit: Shit, they change position depending on whether you come in from the top or bottom.
right click taskbar-properties-navigation. you can turn off the top right activation, don't think the bottom right though. You get used to it though /shrug. There are some third party programs out there that get rid of it though, not sure if they are updated for 8.1 yet though.

edit: blue bars mean the OS is in the progress of adding those devices.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Upgrading from 8 to 8.1 did not cause any obvious problems for me, so far. yay

The Cowboy

Anyone having issues with the "PC and Devices" section on the metro change PC settings menu?. Whenever I click it, it simply shows nothing in the section and drops me strait to the start screen.

Windu

Anyone having issues with the "PC and Devices" section on the metro change PC settings menu?. Whenever I click it, it simply shows nothing in the section and drops me strait to the start screen.
restart
I should be good to go being on RTM then, correct? There wouldn't be a point in wiping and installing from a retail disc with my existing key?
good to go

I should be good to go being on RTM then, correct? There wouldn't be a point in wiping and installing from a retail disc with my existing key?

cbox

Just updated via logmein ( probably shouldn't have done that ) but everything went well. Can't wait to try it out tonight on my main beast of a machine. Been using it on a 4yr old acer laptop and it's like I got a new laptop.

Addnan

Got it installed, the taskbar was like aero glass for a bit, but now its gone back to the ugly :( damn thought they got it back for a bit.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Updated remotely from work and lost network connectivity after the required restart. Assuming there's a welcome wizard of sorts with limited functionality?

Windu

Updated remotely from work and lost network connectivity after the required restart. Assuming there's a welcome wizard of sorts with limited functionality?
yeah it does a few more things after restart and then a few setup options.

When I click on the store, I see the big purple button but it says "Download Windows 8.1 Preview". Is it really the final version but without the tile updated?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Yeah it asks for your network connection again and what type of network it is. So I guess that is why you are locked out since no internet connection has been established yet.

Bastards. While I expected a "Welcome to Windows 8.1" wizard, I didn't think it would reset the network settings.

Thanks.

Top Bottom