• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Lil help. I downloaded windows 8. Upgrading from 7. Didn't have enough space on my ssd(needs 20 gigs) I have. 60 gb. The previous version is the only thing on it. So I try cleaning it out. Ended up deleting my drivers. So no Internet. Had to reinstall windows 7 on my other hardrive 2tb sea gate. And now have to run windows off that. My question is, is there any possible way to install windows 8 on my ssd via my other hardrive? I just wanted windows 8 on my ssd. Ended up with a headache.

I finally got it installed. Ended up having to download an update and new bios from Sony's US support site.

so how do you have more than 2 apps displayed at a time? I saw images of up to 4 apps docked side by side, but I'm only getting 2 docked maximum, just like always.

YES. FUCK YES. I did it. I went from preview to RTM legitimately without losing my programs and apps. I'm so happy. Thanks so much hadareud for all your help.

blado

I blue screened during the update. Probably because of one of my drivers. After that bump in the road, everything started up and seems to be working. Really liking the extra 15 gigabytes of space. I can fit a few more games on my SSD :D.

8.1 seems to have messed up my 'System reserved' partition during the update. It won't optimise even though it's got the "Needs Optimisation" flag. Event Viewer shows "System Reserved The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)" every time I run it, and a quick search shows others with this issue but no solution as far as I can see.

I was getting errors trying to update to the beta so this makes me not even wanna try. I know im gonna get more problems. This OS is nothing but headaches so far for me.

I'll give it a try. That would solve the problem if it works.

Edit: Seems to be creating an iso file now...

Ah, no luck, apparently the installer is bugged, so if you've run the Windows 8 one in the past, it will always create that iso rather than the 8.1 one. And when I delete that and run it fresh, it doesn't accept my serial number.

Okay, so before I installed the Windows 8.1 preview I made a system image backup system for Windows 8, at someone's suggestion. Does restoring my computer to plain old Windows 8 restore the desktop programs I had installed at the time? Cause if so, I will go back and then install 8.1 from there.

Kingbrave

My laptop updated fine.

My desktop however is another story.

After logging in it goes to a black screen and shows the mouse cursor but nothing else loads. This happen to anyone else?

jsrv

Updated to 8.1, nothing seems to have been broken from what I've seen so far
Something seems up with the search though. I tried searching for Windows Update and Color Management under Settings and nothing comes up

Why is this?

Edit: A couple of reboots seemed to have fixed this
Edit2: Or not :| Worked once now it just says no result found again

The Cowboy

I don't get this, just checking the 8.1 refreshing options and it asks for media as not all files are available, and my windows 8 disk isn't correct for it (I assume it wants an 8.1 disk). As such, are they really trying to say that if people want to reinstall 8.1/refresh 8.1 we have to reinstall 8 and then update it to 8.1 again?.

For me that would be just silly, I'd have to install 7, then use my 8 upgrade install and then update to 8.1.
-
So if the above isn't the case, how do people who've upgraded from 8 reinstall the entire OS if there is an issue? - we can't refresh without an 8.1 media disk and we can't do a strait reinstall because they won't give us an 8.1 iso, and we can't simply download an 8.1 disk and use it as our 8 keys aren't being upgraded to 8.1 keys.

Reading the tweets seems to state if we had an issue that requires a full reinstall and we don't want to have to go 7 to 8 upgrade to 8.1 or just 8 to 8.1, we need to buy an 8.1 key!.

So if the above isn't the case, how do people who've upgraded from 8 reinstall the entire OS if there is an issue? - we can't refresh without an 8.1 media disk and we can't do a strait reinstall because they won't give us an 8.1 iso, and we can't simply download an 8.1 disk and use it as our 8 keys aren't being upgraded to 8.1 keys.

Like you say, I think we're expected to install vanilla Windows 8, download and install all the updates through Windows Update, and then upgrade to 8.1 through the Windows store. I'm going to see if I can get hold of an iso of 8.1 and see if it'll at least (re)enable the refresh and/or restore options.

The Cowboy

Like you say, I think we're expected to install vanilla Windows 8, download and install all the updates through Windows Update, and then upgrade to 8.1 through the Windows store. I'm going to see if I can get hold of an iso of 8.1 and see if it'll at least (re)enable the refresh and/or restore options.

This is at least what I hope will work for refreshing options, its pretty dam stupid to update the OS like this and make it so we can't use the restore/refresh options because they won't give all windows 8 upgraders an 8.1 iso.

Xyphie

IIRC the deployment docs say you can't use a W8 key together with the W8.1 ISO, it works exclusively with new W8.1 keys. You should be able to use the default keys though and then change to the W8 key inside Windows using Win+R "SLUI 3".

If you have a pre-injected OA3.0 key I imagine you're probably SOL and have to do the W8->W8.1 path.

Default W8.1 keys:
Core=334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Professional=XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
wpcentral.com supports the new RSS Tile Feature

cmS72sQ.png

pretty cool.

http://www.wpcentral.com/pin-windows-phone-central-live-tile-your-start-screen

I like 8.1 a lot, very nice update, but I really wish the start button was an option. Couldn't in 8 you click the bottom left corner and go back to the desktop from a "modern ui" app?

My laptop updated fine.

My desktop however is another story.

After logging in it goes to a black screen and shows the mouse cursor but nothing else loads. This happen to anyone else?

Yes, it has happened to me. I am trying to fix it now :(

You can start task manager with ctrl+shift+esc, but there is an error which does not appear to affect anything afterwards. Once there I can appear to run any program I want using the run dialog in the menu, including internet explorer.

Try running cmd with admin privileges then run sfc /scannow and see what you get.

If I do this it says some wiles have been repaired, I have to reboot ( shutdown -r -t 1 ). Windows will then logon correctly on bootup, and display the metro start screen. But after about 10 seconds will automatically log me out and with an erro that flashes up on screen too quickly for me to read. I then get the login screen again, and when I login I get the same problem :(

Kabuto

My laptop had Windows 8 installed before so I installed 8.1 this morning, took a nap, and woke up to it. It definitely feels snappier to me because Windows 8 occasionally lagged when I had a lot of tabs open yet right now 8.1 is handling it like a champ.

I still feel like the Apps on a PC is useless since you can just do everything on a browser.

oh and I dunno if it's my imagination but colors look way better right now.

Bullza2o

I don't understand why I need to have my laptop signed in to a MS account to use SkyDrive. I was able to log in on each app separately just fine except now SkyDrive doesn't allow it anymore.

MrBig

Am I correct in understanding, from reading this thread, that MS is forcing people to use the store (and thus a MS account) to legitimately update windows?

Milchjon

Am I correct in understanding, from reading this thread, that MS is forcing people to use the store (and thus a MS account) to legitimately update windows?

Do you really not have a single MS account? No Xbox Live, Hotmail, SkyDrive, anything?

You're missing out..

Edit: I mean, it sounds like you can't even use Metro apps. So your update would mostly be... a start button?

MrBig

Do you really not have a single MS account? No Xbox Live, Hotmail, SkyDrive, anything?

You're missing out..

I have a MS account, I previously owned an Xbox + live. I'm more concerned about the precedent they're setting with requiring an online connection and a personal account to update windows (with no ability to install via iso), which has never been a requirement in the past.

Edit: I mean, it sounds like you can't even use Metro apps. So your update would mostly be... a start button?

Not using a MS account means you can't use the store. Nothing else is impeded.

Kingbrave

Yes, it has happened to me. I am trying to fix it now :(

You can start task manager with ctrl+shift+esc, but there is an error which does not appear to affect anything afterwards. Once there I can appear to run any program I want using the run dialog in the menu, including internet explorer.

Try running cmd with admin privileges then run sfc /scannow and see what you get.

If I do this it says some wiles have been repaired, I have to reboot ( shutdown -r -t 1 ). Windows will then logon correctly on bootup, and display the metro start screen. But after about 10 seconds will automatically log me out and with an erro that flashes up on screen too quickly for me to read. I then get the login screen again, and when I login I get the same problem :(

I have the exact same problem.

I've got it to load the desktop and metro twice. None of the apps will run and tells me to contact the admin.

I'm just gonna reinstall 8 and then update again. Otherwise I'm just gonna punch my pc....

Just started the download and it's slow as hell too. On my connection it should take about 5 minutes but it's gonna take over 30 mins to an hour.

I'm now also worried that this update is gonna screw up due to what some people have said in this thread. I have no idea what my Windows 8 key is anymore as it was an update from Windows 7, and it's lost in some email somewhere.

Ugh... almost everything I do (navigate through an app, open a webpage, etc) is preceded by a slight pop from the speakers.

So annoying!

MooMoo

Good lord the 8.1 download is taking forever!
I've been downloading for over 3 hours and I'm only like a third of the way. Kinda tempted to start over because my internet isn't this slow but at the same time I don't want to lose what little progress I have.

Baleoce

Downloaded Windows 8.1 finally. But then it just said:

"we couldn't update the system reserved partition"

any ideas?

Jzero

Finally (download and install took for ever) updated with no problems except that i don't like the new tile colors. They look shitty with most backgrounds.

Also, has anyone come across this?

YPi2FNt.png

The window in front is fine, but the window behind is mostly blurry, except the title text "Computer Management".

Is there a way to change the tile colors in the Start Menu? This update made almost all of them either orange or red which really looks terrible.

dLMN8R

I have a MS account, I previously owned an Xbox + live. I'm more concerned about the precedent they're setting with requiring an online connection and a personal account to update windows (with no ability to install via iso), which has never been a requirement in the past.

Not using a MS account means you can't use the store. Nothing else is impeded.

Using the Store to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 does not require a Microsoft account. The entire process can be completed without ever signing in.

That doesn't change the tile colors though.

That's probably because it's made for tablets dude haha.

;P

anyways. i i didn't know when people said apps need to be reinstalled. i thought it was just the start menu stuff from window store. but i have to reinstall actual programs. D: fml. oh well. i needed to trim it down again anyways. i was going overboard and only used like 2 programs i had downloaded anyways lol.

The Cowboy

Bit bored and was having some issues with 8.1 so I decided to test out a full fresh 8.1 clean install (well clean as in a fresh clean install of Windows 8 to fresh install of Windows 8.1), I had just replaced my storage drive so don't mind the loss of data from a clean install as it wasn't much.

A fresh install on Windows 8 starts with this before it brings up the Windows 8.1 upgrade in the store..
Kik08nu.jpg

Top Bottom