• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Have a question just to be on the safe side.

The upgrade process won't touch my other 2 HDDs in my PC if I do the keep nothing option from the upgrade assistant program will it? Just want to wipe the SSD Windows 7 is already installed on.

No, it shouldn't. That how I have mine set up, 2 drives, 3 partitions, C is just for the OS so I can wipe it if I need or want to.

I upgrade using Assistant from Consumer Preview version and my D partition and F drives are left untouch. This computer originally came with OEM Windows 7 SP1 but the drive was corrupt beyond repair when I got the computer so I clean install Windows 8 Preview on it, when Consumer Preview came out I clean install that and now it's running Windows 8 Pro upgrade. I am not sure if the upgrade can detect that at one point I had Windows 7 on this computer but it never ask me for licensed.

pfkas

Finally figured out how to get hold of a new non-upgrade copy of Win8. Ordered an OEM copy from Overclockers. Arrives tomorrow. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

I have a laptop that has a hidden recovery partition with Windows 7 incase I want to do a complete format and restore, but am I able to download the upgrade of Windows 8 via burning it to DVD/USB and do a fresh install that way? Or would I have to to a reinstall/restore of Windows 7, then upgrade?

Working fine on my unibody Macbook (Early 2008). Did you install the drivers through Bootcamp? The only real problem I've encountered so far is that if I let the battery run out, it doesn't resume from where it was but instead reboots when I plug in the computer.

nope, because I've had problems with bootcamp for a while now. it won't download any of the updated drivers at all, instead just hanging or quitting the application. i'll give it another go in a bit.

know what really winds me up? the progress bar for downloads in the desktop. looks like it's filling up really fast and then bam! it's some weird half-a-bar moving across the entire thing, not filling up the bar at all. really odd & dumb.

A question regarding savegames on Xbox Windows Games: I have been running RTM for a few weeks, playing some games, and now I just bought a new boxed version of Windows, which I will install in a new HDD. I noticed that some of the games offers cloud saving, right? So I have to backup/move any file to the new PC to transfer my game progress or it is already covered by the cloud system? Thanks!

Doffen

yep, not enabled either of the settings.

I think this is an 'lol europe' feature. If that is going to be the case, I hope the pirates figure this store nonsense out really fast so we can have the same shit america gets. SMH.

I can't even use my netflix account with the netflix app because I can't see it to install it.

No, I live in Norway with a Norwegian Microsoft Account and I have access to over 4500 apps.

Have you tried to reach them trough the Xbox Games app?

j0aJqik75GJes.png

Nander

nope, because I've had problems with bootcamp for a while now. it won't download any of the updated drivers at all, instead just hanging or quitting the application. i'll give it another go in a bit.

Yeah, I had the same problem. Here's instructions on how you can download the drivers seperately, put them on a USB key and then install them directly in Windows.

http://blog.timvalenta.com/2011/11/boot-camp-driver-downloads/

This is in the comments of that post (makes it a bit easier):

Code:
From http://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-lion.merged-1.sucatalog

2303.English.dist:

['MacBookAir4,1','MacBookAir4,2','Macmini5,1','Macmini5,2','Macmini5,3',]

3891.English.dist:

['MacBookPro10,1','MacBookAir5,1','MacBookAir5,2',]

2011.English.dist:

['MacBook2,1','MacBook3,1','MacBook4,1','MacBook5,1','MacBook5,2','MacBook5,3','MacBook6,1','MacBook7,1','MacBookAir1,1','MacBookAir2,1','MacBookAir3,1', MacBookAir3,2','MacBookPro2,1','MacBookPro2,2','MacBookPro3,1','MacBookPro4,1','MacBookPro5,1','MacBookPro5,2','MacBookPro5,3','MacBookPro5,4','MacBookPro5,5','MacBookPro6,1',''MacBookPro7,1','MacBookPro8,1','MacBookPro8,2','MacBookPro8,3']

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It is windows 7 with a shit new menu and a shit new store. Both can be completely ignored.

Nothing changes.

If you get it for nothing, the "upgrade" is quick and painless.

Okay, so then here is a question for the Windows 8 experts:

If I have Win7 and I'm completely happy with it, is there any reason at all to upgrade to Windows 8? If it's just Win7 with a metro interface and built in Microsoft store, then what's the point of upgrading at all?

Nander

Okay, so then here is a question for the Windows 8 experts:

If I have Win7 and I'm completely happy with it, is there any reason at all to upgrade to Windows 8? If it's just Win7 with a metro interface and built in Microsoft store, then what's the point of upgrading at all?

If nothing else, it's a lot faster and smoother than Win7.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If nothing else, it's a lot faster and smoother than Win7.

Faster? Do you mean for gaming, or just general windows work and web browsing? Because Win7's performance has been outstanding for me, it's absolutely the best version of Windows I've ever owned. At this point I really don't feel like I need a faster Windows...

So, it's really just Windows 7 with a new interface then? I'm guessing MS will stop supporting Win7 sometime soon and force me to upgrade. Hopefully that's quite a way down the road.

squicken

If you want a good one then yeah, probably. Not any different from iOS6 until Google releases their own app.

Thanks. Not a big deal to use a browser, just found it funny that Google isn't ready at launch with a fleet of apps

So far it's okay. Kind of find Metro pointless for a mouse. Why drag a program to the bottom when a red X is faster? Also keep getting notifications to update apps that won't update

Doikor

Faster? Do you mean for gaming, or just general windows work and web browsing? Because Win7's performance has been outstanding for me, it's absolutely the best version of Windows I've ever owned. At this point I really don't feel like I need a faster Windows...

So, it's really just Windows 7 with a new interface then? I'm guessing MS will stop supporting Win7 sometime soon and force me to upgrade. Hopefully that's quite a way down the road.

I've been getting 2-10% better fps in games with win8. And boot&shutdown are faster. As is restore from hibernation. So yeah it is indeed faster.

gcubed

Thanks. Not a big deal to use a browser, just found it funny that Google isn't ready at launch with a fleet of apps

So far it's okay. Kind of find Metro pointless for a mouse. Why drag a program to the bottom when a red X is faster? Also keep getting notifications to update apps that won't update

I like the way it looks, not sure I'm bought into this active app thing on my desktop yet but what its really doing is making me want a surface and WP8 phone

There's something even faster then clicking a red X: Don't close your app unless you need to (like apps that use camera, are playing anything and you want them to stop, etc). They use up to no memory and if you keep them suspended when you go back to them they load instantly.

A single Winkey Press, lower left corner click or +D takes you out of the app, and you can pretty much forget about it.

If you must close the app, you can also alt+f4 it. IT's faster than the close gesture too.

There's something even faster then clicking a red X: Don't close your app unless you need to (like apps that use camera, are playing anything and you want them to stop, etc). They use up to no memory and if you keep them suspended when you go back to them they load instantly.

A single Winkey Press, lower left corner click or +D takes you out of the app, and you can pretty much forget about it.

If you must close the app, you can also alt+f4 it. IT's faster than the close gesture too.

I need to remember all of this.

So does MS get a cut of anything sold through an APP from the store?

woo. win 8 on me laptop and desktop.

Kinda cool that stuff syncs like themes and wallpaper.

Wonder how long before win 8 trackpad drivers start coming out.

squicken

I've got it on a gaming HTPC, with my mouse on my recliner and the keyboard on a coffee table. So for this PC it's mostly for web browsing and playing games. I have to lean forward and grab the keyboard to use it. So I sort of like a mouse driven interface to accommodate my laziness

I'm sure I'll get used to it. Right now it's just jarring b/c of lots of my favorite programs have to run in desktop.

is €200 premium worth the upgrade from i3 to i5?

Awwww who are we kidding? ;_; ...ITS NEVER WORTH IT! But when you first encounter something that the lower power processor struggles with, you live in regret :( You are paying that extra cash to buffer that regret and to be able to say "Well, I did all I could!" and throw your hands up in the air. Feels good man.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
edit: and example or several examples of the shitness of the appstore in euroland.
See the guys above start screen. We have no

-jetpack joyride
-pinball fx2
-netflix (god damnit)

Weird, I installed Netflix this morning and I saw Jetpack Joyride on the store. I'm in the UK.

Totakeke

Yeah, one of the things you want to do with this OS is to pin items to the start menu. Sports teams, stock tickers, specific people, what have you.

Quick question:

Might have to do a full reinstall of Windows 8 to get Origin working. How do I go about doing that with the upgrade version of Windows 8?

So, Amazon really dropped the ball. My System Builder copy isn't shipping out until today, even though they were advertising it as "release date delivery." Do I have any other options for getting a fresh clean install of Win8 on my desktop PC without cannibalizing my current Windows 7 Ultimate license key before the weekend is up? The weekend is about the only real time I have free to dedicate to working on Windows 8 and would really love to find a solution. Thanks!

What's wrong with Origin? I didn't get a chance to test mine yesterday.

Crashes a few seconds after logging in. I tried reinstalling Origin, switching to the BETA version, compatibility mode, still crashing. I tried with multiple accounts too but they all crash. I made a topic about it on their support forum here:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9068351.page

So far theres a few others with the same problem.

This needs to get fixed ASAP, I have Need For Speed Most Wanted preordered!

Crashes a few seconds after logging in. I tried reinstalling Origin, switching to the BETA version, compatibility mode, still crashing. I tried with multiple accounts too but they all crash. I made a topic about it on their support forum here:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9068351.page

So far theres a few others with the same problem.

This needs to get fixed ASAP, I have Need For Speed Most Wanted preordered!

Bah. I just preordered the PC version too.

Edit: Seems to be working fine for me.

I've got it on a gaming HTPC, with my mouse on my recliner and the keyboard on a coffee table. So for this PC it's mostly for web browsing and playing games. I have to lean forward and grab the keyboard to use it. So I sort of like a mouse driven interface to accommodate my laziness

I'm sure I'll get used to it. Right now it's just jarring b/c of lots of my favorite programs have to run in desktop.

You can use the lower left corner, but you have to do some mind tricks to go straight to the opposite location instead of the top right corner, where impulse will probably take you at first.

I need to remember all of this.

So does MS get a cut of anything sold through an APP from the store?

It's the developer's choice. They can use Ms platform for in app purchases, and by doing so Ms takes a cut, but they are free to use their own, or even 3rd party solutions, and Ms doesn't take a cut from that.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Can't even access my BIOS anymore because my keyboard isn't turned on during the first few milliseconds at boot. Damnit.

Nander

Can't even access my BIOS anymore because my keyboard isn't turned on during the first few milliseconds at boot. Damnit.

There's an option for that in the settings. Something like "Next time boot up into advanced mode", and from there you can access the BIOS.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
There's an option for that in the settings. Something like "Next time boot up into advanced mode", and from there you can access the BIOS.
From what I understand, that's only if your UEFI support Windows 8, which is what I'm trying to update it to. :\

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well, it seems like MS wants to shaft me out of the $15 upgrade offer. Gave them a call and am being given the runaround. Bought a laptop at Office Max that clearly stated I would get the offer and I got the promo code but it won't let me purchase it. Probably because I'm in the US Virgin Islands. I'm not paying full price for a box, and it seems like I can't do the download.

Maybe its time to reconsider my decision to purchase MS products, if they will deny me US offers and services although I am in the US.

Haven't had that issue with Apple or Google products...

Nemesis_

Loving Windows 8 (Pro)!

But I have two questions.

1.) I signed up for one of those free Media Center keys, but yet to have one. Anyone know why? It's been over 24 hours.

2.) I hear that there is way to get the newest version of Office for free, is this true? (I would buy but is it even out yet?) [also, has Publisher been removed from the suite?]

Top Bottom