• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Commodore

Do you guys think that there's going to be some startup borne from this launch since people may have an easier time to make a name for themselves while the competition is minimal due to the relatively few apps in the store?

There's still a question of what app Windows Phone 8 devices will use to sync content, and will that app manage podcasts. Or will the whole that just be manual via file manager.

Xander51

Got it installed! Whole process took about an hour. Upgraded over a relatively clean Windows 7 Home Premium install from a few months ago. Running very nicely so far!

Troll

Banned
Liking my MS Touch Mouse more and more. Only issues are the occasional right click and vertical scrolling. Gestures work nice to bring up charms, multi-task and bring up the app options.

Edit: Tweaked the some of the sensitivity settings, which helped the vertical scrolling.

Would you recommend buying one? I have been eye balling a new mouse with gesture support but I might get one of those stand alone touchpads.

Commodore

Can I install Windows 8 on my Mac with Bootcamp?

I just did it. There was a problem with a few drivers, didn't have sound. I had to copy the bootcamp folder from my Leopard OS X disc to the desktop, and then run setup, and then run in compatibility mode. That did it, and now all is working well.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just bored and downloading different wallpapers and I love that it has the option to tint your taskbar and desktop folders to match the tone of your wallpaper. Really nifty little feature.

Quick

Banned
Just bored and downloading different wallpapers and I love that it has the option to tint your taskbar and desktop folders to match the tone of your wallpaper. Really nifty little feature.

Yep. Love the new UI.

Can't find a good wallpaper for the lock screen though.

maxxpower

I just did it. There was a problem with a few drivers, didn't have sound. I had to copy the bootcamp folder from my Leopard OS X disc to the desktop, and then run setup, and then run in compatibility mode. That did it, and now all is working well.

I'm guessing I have to buy the $69.99 version since I don't have a previous version of Windows installed correct?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Would you recommend buying one? I have been eye balling a new mouse with gesture support but I might get one of those stand alone touchpads.

I would recommend it, some more impressions from others would be good though. I know it has had mediocre reviews but that was before the update drivers and W8 gesture support. I also picked up mine on sale so that helped as well.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm running a technet version of win7, hows this upgrade thing gonna workout?

I want clean install as well.

Can't find a single 'buy windows 8 new with no prior anything' link on that windows sale site.

Jzero

This is the image i'm using for the lock screen.

Sunset-Rome-Colis%C3%A9e-1800x2880.jpg

If I buy windows 8 pro download from store.microsoft.com, what do I get? Could I burn it to a usb stick and use it on a blank newly built pc? The whole "To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7." is scaring me off.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
whats up with the german store, there is not even a fucking twitter app :D

was just complaining about this, the euro store is a fucking joke. like seriously seriously will not buy a tablet at all from microsoft bad.

you have access to vpn? I'm going to try and setup my win8 pc at home to go through playmo which lets me use netflix and see if the store changes.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wtf.

how do I purchase windows 8 at all?

I have a computer with no OS....

Blablurn

was just complaining about this, the euro store is a fucking joke. like seriously seriously will not buy a tablet at all from microsoft bad.

at first i thought there are only a few apps because its not even the release day (i installed it yesterday) but when i checked again this morning i was pretty shocked :D i mean, i don't care much but why even try then?

sca2511

Battery indicator wasn't showing up on my Acer 3830TG, just fixed it though. Whew, thought there was a change to view the battery life.

ksdixon

So.. I'm downloading the upgrade offer to go from Win7HomePremium to Win8Pro.

I think installing this will wipe out the recovery partition of my OEM medion pc; thus I would have to re-install Win7 from the installation CD, right?

What about if the PC breaks and I have to send it to Medion for repair?

Jzero

Anyone else having problems launching steam apps?
XCOM wont start for me
I don't have XCOM but every other game works the same as Windows 7 for me.
------------------------------
Btw it looks like all the links for buying Windows 8 work now.

kitch9

Banned
Shit having Windows 8 on my laptop and on my Home PC whilst having Windows 7 on my Office PC's is really fucking with my mojo....

I'm going to have to re-wire my brain twice a day to both OS's everyday it appears.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
system builder/oem copy

from which link? I don't find it in the store?

If I purchase all my components seperately for a pc and build it, where is the copy I buy? the store appears not to sell it.

Top Bottom