• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

senahorse

I have had to go back to Windows 7 for now. Unfortunately my USB extender driver will not work with Win8 not matter what I do. So now I have to get a hardware based one like a Gefen before I can reinstall 8.

Nymerio

Can anyone explain how I can view my msn contacts? I'm signed in with that hotmail thing and when I click on contacts it only shows my profile pic and name...

Jzero

Happy Launch Day!

I'm going to sleep for now.

Can anyone explain how I can view my msn contacts? I'm signed in with that hotmail thing and when I click on contacts it only shows my profile pic and name...
Msn messenger contacts? Go to the 'People' app and all your contacts should be there. If you are also synced to Facebook then they should also be there,

Well, I got it installed. I have to say, I'm rather liking it. I've been listening to Free Music through Xbox Music for the past few hours now. I could get used to this.

fritolay

OK thanks to GAF went ahead and downloaded Windows 8, running it now.

I usually would preview the newest Windows release early, as I did with Windows 7. I did not with Windows 8 and so I am really trying to catch up. I am using on standard laptop no touch screen.

I have a few questions:

I am a Google fan boy and use Google services primarily for everything. Can I use my google account to then synchronize my mail and related notifications with Windows 8? What are you Google folks doing to handle this? I have an Android phone.

I do not use my Google email address or relate it to my Microsoft XBOX Live account.

I am asked what Microsoft account to use so now I am not sure how to proceed correctly. I like online things are more connected to the OS but I am guessing the competition between MS and Google may make this harder for me than I want as they complete for my use and accounts.

Thus far I really really like this release! This new start menu reminds of of "active desktop" from 10 years ago. It started to allow content and customization of the desktop. Then came widgets. Now basically they have put everything together into and overlay and removed the start menu. This isn't really HUGE from that perspective, this is just years of trying to personalize Windows more to get to what you need quicker, after years of research it seems to me. (Based on my 1 hours of usage :) ) The methods to get to other areas or apps by moving your mouse to the corner of the screen, I like this as well and anticipate this would be good with a touch screen.

I also like the default simplified windows explorer shell. Small and simple. This is nice after the latest MS Office ribbon and its default big icons.

I still have not received my free media center key, I am guessing there is a delay?

Jburton

Banned
Well, I got it installed. I have to say, I'm rather liking it. I've been listening to Free Music through Xbox Music for the past few hours now. I could get used to this.

If anyone has a spare media centre key I would be much obliged.

If my one comes in email I will give it back or pass it on to another poster.

Rlan

Yay! I can finally talk about this!

So at Halfbrick we've released both Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride for Windows 8! Fruit Ninja is $4.99, while Jetpack Joyride is FREE!

Our W8 team did the brunt of the work, but I helped design some of the extra Windows menus needed in the games, as well as the Snap View stuff!

I'm really happy that we went above and beyond for Windows 8 Snap view support. It was a bunch of fun to design and make! And we went way further than most developers, who use it as a "go into full screen mode to continue playing" sort of way. We've released a new video of it in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3reaeu9-Q&feature=plcp

Please check out both games, and would love any feedback!

DagsJT

So at Halfbrick we've released both Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride for Windows 8! Fruit Ninja is $4.99, while Jetpack Joyride is FREE!

Our W8 team did the brunt of the work, but I helped design some of the extra Windows menus needed in the games, as well as the Snap View stuff!

I'm really happy that we went above and beyond for Windows 8 Snap view support. It was a bunch of fun to design and make! And we went way further than most developers, who use it as a "go into full screen mode to continue playing" sort of way. We've released a new video of it in action here:

Will there be an option to increase the resolution on Jetpack Joyride? It kinda looks like I'm playing a SNES game on my PC due to the low resolution.

Have a question just to be on the safe side.

The upgrade process won't touch my other 2 HDDs in my PC if I do the keep nothing option from the upgrade assistant program will it? Just want to wipe the SSD Windows 7 is already installed on.

strata8

They both run great! I hadn't even considered using snap view with most games, honestly.

My only criticism with Jetpack Joyride is that there's not really any keyboard support. Just something simple like Space to jump or Esc to pause would be nice.

Manp

got the 30€ PRO upgrade for my HTPC... going to get a spare code later to eventually upgrade my main PC down the line. can't really go wrong for 30€.

:)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

SM1st.png

(europe)

MCD

I was glad when MS reduced Windows Phone games pricing from 5+ dollars to 99 cent.

Why are they doing this again on Windows 8?

kitch9

Banned
OK thanks to GAF went ahead and downloaded Windows 8, running it now.

I usually would preview the newest Windows release early, as I did with Windows 7. I did not with Windows 8 and so I am really trying to catch up. I am using on standard laptop no touch screen.

I have a few questions:

I am a Google fan boy and use Google services primarily for everything. Can I use my google account to then synchronize my mail and related notifications with Windows 8? What are you Google folks doing to handle this? I have an Android phone.

I do not use my Google email address or relate it to my Microsoft XBOX Live account.

I am asked what Microsoft account to use so now I am not sure how to proceed correctly. I like online things are more connected to the OS but I am guessing the competition between MS and Google may make this harder for me than I want as they complete for my use and accounts.

Thus far I really really like this release! This new start menu reminds of of "active desktop" from 10 years ago. It started to allow content and customization of the desktop. Then came widgets. Now basically they have put everything together into and overlay and removed the start menu. This isn't really HUGE from that perspective, this is just years of trying to personalize Windows more to get to what you need quicker, after years of research it seems to me. (Based on my 1 hours of usage :) ) The methods to get to other areas or apps by moving your mouse to the corner of the screen, I like this as well and anticipate this would be good with a touch screen.

I also like the default simplified windows explorer shell. Small and simple. This is nice after the latest MS Office ribbon and its default big icons.

I still have not received my free media center key, I am guessing there is a delay?

You can sync your google account with no problem.

Nymerio

Happy Launch Day!

I'm going to sleep for now.

Msn messenger contacts? Go to the 'People' app and all your contacts should be there. If you are also synced to Facebook then they should also be there,

That's what I do, but there's only my profile pic. When I go through the messaging app and click on new message I get the list with everybody in it. I must be doing something seriously wrong...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Have you disabled 'Help me find apps in my language' in the settings?

yep, not enabled either of the settings.

I think this is an 'lol europe' feature. If that is going to be the case, I hope the pirates figure this store nonsense out really fast so we can have the same shit america gets. SMH.

I can't even use my netflix account with the netflix app because I can't see it to install it.

strata8

I think this is an 'lol europe' feature. If that is going to be the case, I hope the pirates figure this store nonsense out really fast so we can have the same shit america gets. SMH.

I can't even use my netflix account with the netflix app because I can't see it to install it.

I'm actually in Australia, not America.

I think it's the developers, not Microsoft, who choose what regions to apps are released in.

MCD

Have you disabled 'Help me find apps in my language' in the settings?

Why should they be 99 cents?

Because:

1- they are not the market leaders

2- to match iPad/iPhone prices

And no offense Halfbrick dev, but why should I buy your game on Windows 8 when you gave me the middle finger by not supporting multitasking and only a measly 30fps on Windows Phone.

I even bought it at launch too.

fritolay

You can sync your google account with no problem.

I just did this. I did log on to my PC with a Windows account. Then it prompted me to setup my google account for email and calendar. This was very easy and I am glad MS made it easy.

Wow having my calendar and email so easily available and updated, from essentially the modified start menu, is just outstanding! I am really impressed by this Windows version thus far. Usually you expect less every other year, so Windows 9 would be the next one to get. But this is good thus far kudos to MS. Maybe I am just happy to see some non-PC centric designs from tablets and phones that are good make it to the standard MS desktop for PC's as well.

Walshicus

Absolutely ridiculous that Google Analytics *and* Coremetrics haven't updated their mappings to report on Windows 8; it still shows up as Windows NT in both.

Insane considering they've known the User Agents for ages now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually in Australia, not America.

I think it's the developers, not Microsoft, who choose what regions to apps are released in.

sigh. now i'm starting to see what all the game devs are pissed at with the app store. Win 8 is now a fucking lemon in europe compared to US.

I've tried using it through playmo.tv, it doesn't register me as being US based and unlock app unfortunately. Anyone got a US VPN to try? I'm wondering if it ties my account itself to the netherlands.

Majine

Banned
Uh, I don't get it. You can only upgrade from previous Windowses on their website? I wanted to download it on my Mac and use Boot Camp, but there's nothing I can do apparently.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, I don't get it. You can only upgrade from previous Windowses on their website? I wanted to download it on my Mac and use Boot Camp, but there's nothing I can do apparently.

me neither. getting more and more cross about this terrible launch. Can't give them money for anything apparently.

Quentyn

sigh. now i'm starting to see what all the game devs are pissed at with the app store. Win 8 is now a fucking lemon in europe compared to US.

I've tried using it through playmo.tv, it doesn't register me as being US based and unlock app unfortunately. Anyone got a US VPN to try? I'm wondering if it ties my account itself to the netherlands.

Try changing your location to US in the region settings in the control panel. That worked for me. The store is still in German but I see all the US apps.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Try changing your location to US in the region settings in the control panel. That worked for me. The store is still in German but I see all the US apps.

oh thanks, didn't think of that, will give it a shot.

I've changed location, no change. rebooting and will see.

You can may be able to go to "New Releases" within the store (games) to find Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja.

They don't show up if I use the search, they do if I look with the store though. I'm Australian.

DagsJT

I'm in the UK and I've got both Jetpack Joyride and Netflix here, maybe it's country-specific rather than region?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You can may be able to go to "New Releases" within the store (games) to find Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja.

They don't show up if I use the search, they do if I look with the store though. I'm Australian.

not there.

I'm thinking I need to login with a live account that is US based. this is shit.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Congrats! I was playing these last night, the work you've put in really shines through compared to stuff like Cut the Rope.

anyone tried installing this on a MacBook pro yet? my keyboard & trackpad drivers are a little screwy, as I can't control the brightness/volume etc. using the keyboard nor can I right click. any ideas? might have to wait until apple finally get around to updating bootcamp.

anyone tried installing this on a MacBook pro yet? my keyboard & trackpad drivers are a little screwy, as I can't control the brightness/volume etc. using the keyboard nor can I right click. any ideas? might have to wait until apple finally get around to updating bootcamp.

I'd definitely wait until they release drivers.

Looks like if you got Fruit Ninja during the RP/RTM, you get it for free (in Your Apps).

venne

Have a question just to be on the safe side.

The upgrade process won't touch my other 2 HDDs in my PC if I do the keep nothing option from the upgrade assistant program will it? Just want to wipe the SSD Windows 7 is already installed on.

I used the updater and didn't think about this possibility until it started.

Everything was fine. I did have to click on some folders on the drives (specifically my music, photos, and podcast folders) to get them to appear in my libraries. Some admin permission thing.

Nander

Working fine on my unibody Macbook (Early 2008). Did you install the drivers through Bootcamp? The only real problem I've encountered so far is that if I let the battery run out, it doesn't resume from where it was but instead reboots when I plug in the computer.

rukland

Anyone found a good Start screen Clock? All I really want is one that has a live tile. But other then that I am now really happy with everything. Solved all my issues from yesterday and really enjoying the new look and feel of it all.

nan0

Anyone found a good Start screen Clock? All I really want is one that has a live tile. But other then that I am now really happy with everything. Solved all my issues from yesterday and really enjoying the new look and feel of it all.

I only found "SimpleClock" that does that.

Top Bottom