• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Sanic

yes, anyone and everyone since microsoft upgrade offer is very lax about a pc purchase in the last 4 months...

Interesting...

Undecided as to if I want to upgrade or not. I've been reading impressions here and elsewhere. Most of the desktop improvements sound really nice to me.

nan0

Can I get rid of all the annoying animation effects in the OS? I always turn that off asap, but I can't find any settings for it. Considering that I upgraded from Win 7 and they are still there, I'm assuming that you can't.

The setting is still there, search for "visual effects".

Is there no retail copy for Pro full? I see the upgrade version, but the only version I'm finding for full is oem - link.

If you want a full copy, I think that's your only option. AFAIK they are only selling upgrades in retail. You can still do a clean install with the upgrade version if that's what you're looking for. You just need to have a valid version of Windows XP, vista or 7.

Oh god, I feel like a senior citizen that has never used a computer in their life. I am so lost in this OS. It has taken me 30 minutes to figure out how to access "My Computer." How do I enable the Win7 start menu?

Chrome works flawlessly here. Love the way the handle the desktop and metro versions too.

I can't get Chrome to accept my extensions or history that I've backed up. In Win 7 it worked fine to just do a backup of the whole Chrome folder in "AppData/Local", but that doesn't seem to work anymore in Win 8.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, I feel like a senior citizen that has never used a computer in their life. I am so lost in this OS. It has taken me 30 minutes to figure out how to access "My Computer." How do I enable the Win7 start menu?

Type "Computer" on the start screen, right click, pin to start screen.

Edit: Or move the mouse to the bottom left corner, right click, file explorer.

How to chrome metro? I downloaded and am using the beta (Version 23.0.1271.52 beta-m) and it's the default browser

EDIT: NM just reinstalled and it worked for whatever reason

I've got my Windows 8 DVD burnt and my key is ready. I'm on a Macbook Pro (early 2011 model), so I'm debating waiting for Bootcamp drivers or just throwing it on to play. My friends with similar models say everything's pretty much hunky dory, so I'll probably throw it on this afternoon.

FLAguy954

Is anyone having issues with payment? Im getting the error message that my order could not be processed. It's pretty fucking frustrating :p.

BeeDog

As far as I have understood, you're supposed to connect your Live account to the OS to be able to use stores and whatnot.

I have an old (badly named) Hotmail account which is my primary e-mail/spam dump account, but my Xbox Live gamer points are connected to it. The thing is, I also have a new @live.com/@outlook.com mail which is aptly named and which I would like to use, but I would want to move my Live points to the new mail if possible so I can use the properly named mail for Windows 8.

Is there any way to perform this transfer somehow? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: to clarify, I don't have a 360, have only used Live for Windows.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Netflix does not appear to work. Only getting the spinning animation loading thingy.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

If you're still calling it "My Computer" you are a senior citizen ;)

Win-X or right-click in the bottom left corner will bring up a very useful menu. Pin the File Explorer to the taskbar.

Just me or does the Chrome metro icon not fit in at all...that grey background doesn't look right at all. Meh, I just reverted it back to desktop mode. Seems you cannot listen to streams and videos in the background in metro browser?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Faster? Do you mean for gaming, or just general windows work and web browsing? Because Win7's performance has been outstanding for me, it's absolutely the best version of Windows I've ever owned. At this point I really don't feel like I need a faster Windows...

So, it's really just Windows 7 with a new interface then? I'm guessing MS will stop supporting Win7 sometime soon and force me to upgrade. Hopefully that's quite a way down the road.
As of right now, W7 mainstream support ends in 2015 and extended in 2020.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/lifecycle

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How can I navigate metro with my xbox 360 controller?

You can't atm. Hopefully they're working on this, I don't know if they are.

EDIT: You can actually scroll around the tiles using the arrow keys on the keyboard so I'm sure someone can write an app that allows the controller to do the same thing.

There is no more Win7 start menu. This is what you signed up for.

Stardock makes a third party replacement for the Win7 start menu called Start8, which has a 30 day free trial and costs $5 after that.

That's just delaying the inevitable. Using the Start screen is just as fast once you learn to use it. May as well get used to it now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Stardock makes a third party replacement for the Win7 start menu called Start8, which has a 30 day free trial and costs $5 after that.

I can't get Chrome to accept my extensions or history that I've backed up. In Win 7 it worked fine to just do a backup of the whole Chrome folder in "AppData/Local", but that doesn't seem to work anymore in Win 8.

Oh, i use the google syncing, so that came through automatically (though i think it doesn't sync history)...

I don't know if that should work, but apparently Ms has made W8 more restrictive about AppData folder and disabling those restrictions makes metro no longer works.

(But i have no idea on what have actually changed and if that is causing the problem you are seeing.)

Oh, I thought I had heard some rumblings about being able to do so. I think I'm about to go ahead and just do a full-on reformat. It's been slightly over a year since my fresh Win 7 install anyways.

For as much trouble as I'm having navigating and figuring out Metro, it sure does look pretty.

StudioTan

Oh, I thought I had heard some rumblings about being able to do so. I think I'm about to go ahead and just do a full-on reformat. It's been slightly over a year since my fresh Win 7 install anyways.

For as much trouble as I'm having navigating and figuring out Metro, it sure does look pretty.

Just try watching this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi8NpwiEuzc

Overall it's a faster OS than 7.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Can I get rid of all the annoying animation effects in the OS? I always turn that off asap, but I can't find any settings for it. Considering that I upgraded from Win 7 and they are still there, I'm assuming that you can't.
yes. Search for it. (start typing in the start screen, filter by settings)

PSGames

You can't do a in-place upgrade (i.e. keep apps), but you can migrate/clean install. You can get a discount code if you know what to fill in the form.

I just did two of these. Got a code for my Laptop and one for my Tablet. Can't believe MS are letting people abuse the system like this. What's to stop someone from buying hundreds at $15 and selling them later for $50 on Ebay or something??

So, so close to hitting buy now. Just hope my drivers all work if I do for my laptop, my brothers wireless doesn't with Win8 yet for some reason :S his laptop is only a few months old, unless he's made a mistake somewhere.

i had issues with acer but they had most of the important drivers ready. just have a flash drive handy. manufacturer probably got a win8 driver ready if the previous windows version doesn't work.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I like the fact that I've just downloaded and installed Win8 and now it's doing a ton of updates. Jeez.

Top Bottom