• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Using Win 8 on my laptop makes me want to go buy an RT tablet...seems like it would be pretty amazing for an on the go more mobile solution or just laying in bed browsing, netflix etc.

Marketplace is currently over 9k apps, with upwards of 500 apps added each of the last two days.

Storegrowth_1026.jpg

Growth looks pretty good to me so far.
Oh, then the new releases section isn't work properly... I got less than 20 new apps listed there this whole week.

I've finally gotten everything up an running the way I want it. I'm still not sold on the Start menu, but I'll hopefully get used to it.

Is the only way to shut down fullscreen apps by Alt+F4? Or am I'm missing something obvious?

Exuro

I've finally gotten everything up an running the way I want it. I'm still not sold on the Start menu, but I'll hopefully get used to it.

Is the only way to shut down fullscreen apps by Alt+F4? Or am I'm missing something obvious?
Grabbing the app from the top of the screen and pulling it down or moving your mouse to the top left corner(or swiping the left side) will list all apps open which you can right click to select close.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

What they said (why wasn't that obvious?!?). Having said that you don't really need to shut them down. When they're not being used they go into a suspended state and use extremely little system resources.

Rootbeer

Banned
Help please. I need a Windows 8 compatible soundcard that has optical in (not out, unless it can work both ways? not sure if that is even possible?). I currently have an auzentech prelude 7.1 which has this, but of course... auzentech pretty much abandoned all of their products with no windows 8 drivers in sight

PG2G

Brazil, but my ms account, and marketplace location are currently on US.

(I can download and buy all the apps as soon as someone says it's avaiable, it's just not updating the new releases feed properly).

If you want to see the number of apps available in your locale, you can just search for *
There are over 5k available to me here in the US. The 9k figure includes all locales, not just US.

f0lken

Grabbing the app from the top of the screen and pulling it down or moving your mouse to the top left corner(or swiping the left side) will list all apps open which you can right click to select close.

Clicking the mouse wheel also closes the apps when you are in the list of open apps

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Help please. I need a Windows 8 compatible soundcard that has optical in (not out, unless it can work both ways? not sure if that is even possible?). I currently have an auzentech prelude 7.1 which has this, but of course... auzentech pretty much abandoned all of their products with no windows 8 drivers in sight

Hmmm, my girlfriend has the Auzen X-Studio 5.1 in her machine. I didn't even install drivers for it when we put Win 8 on her machine. Works fine.

derExperte

Install is running right behind this browser window.

Yeah but as I understand while the upgrade-install will work, activation may not if a 'proper' Windows wasn't installed beforehand. May be wrong though, it's a bit confusing what works and what doesn't.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmmm, my girlfriend has the Auzen X-Studio 5.1 in her machine. I didn't even install drivers for it when we put Win 8 on her machine. Works fine.

I don't doubt that it might work, but it wouldn't have access to all of its features. And I'm worried that the optical in might not work at all

kaskade

I'm considering upgrade. I'm eligible for the cheap upgrade since I built my PC over the summer. Not sure if I really want to. I've been a Mac guy for the past few years but since I built my PC I really like Windows 7. My install is pretty fresh. I've only had it for a few months now so it's basically steam and games installed on it. I shouldn't really have a problem just upgrading right? Or would it just be better to do a fresh install anyway.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Using Win 8 on my laptop makes me want to go buy an RT tablet...seems like it would be pretty amazing for an on the go more mobile solution or just laying in bed browsing, netflix etc.
the better option would be if your keyboard detached and your screen turned into a tablet. that is what I am looking for. screw windows rt and screw having two devices. The future of tablets and laptops is to combine them and use which ever you need at any given time.

If you want to see the number of apps available in your locale, you can just search for *
There are over 5k available to me here in the US. The 9k figure includes all locales, not just US.

Like i said, i can see all those apps with no problem at all. It's the new releases option that doesn't show anything new XD

The new releases show me these apps:

The New York Times (added yesterday)
Team Viewer Touch
Bank of America
(OrientalChars)HD
91(OrientalChars)
Jetpack Joyride

I just realized that Angry Birds for instance, doesn't show there (but if i search for it i can see on the store)

Edit: Searching for "*", brought me exactly 5666 results, lol.
(And sorting by newest takes to a list of new apps a lot longer than what new releases get me)

StudioTan

I don't doubt that it might work, but it wouldn't have access to all of its features. And I'm worried that the optical in might not work at all

Gotta ya, she's just using the analogue headphone and speaker jacks.

derExperte

My install is pretty fresh. I've only had it for a few months now so it's basically steam and games installed on it. I shouldn't really have a problem just upgrading right? Or would it just be better to do a fresh install anyway.

You can do a complete reset of Windows8 if something doesn't work after upgrading. It will erase everything and you'll have a completely fresh OS. And then there a repair option that's a little less intrusive. Fresh installs shouldn't be necessary anymore.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Question (sorry if it's been answered): Can I use the cheaper upgrade disk when doing a completely fresh install?

I just ordered an SSD and plan on doing a fresh install. I have multiple legitimate Windows 7 licenses, so I should be eligible for an upgrade, but I don't think I'll bite on Windows 8 if I have to install Windows 7 first before being able to install Windows 8.

Could anyone clarify this point for me?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I got two copies today for my computers at home! Cant wait to try this out, I haven't used 8 at all yet.

Unlike many, I love the look of metro and the live tiles.

Ha! The Gizmodo Surface review made it seem like the app store was a friggen barren wasteland...

Numbers mean nothing without quality and given the lack of quality apps on the store, it might as well be a friggen barren wasteland.

Heck, the Windows Phone Store crossed the 126k app mark recently and it still lacks quality apps.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Phew, finally got my UEFI working after getting a PS/2 keyboard. Only thing fast enough to get in to it. Ah, technology.

ElNino

Numbers mean nothing without quality and given the lack of quality apps on the store, it might as well be a friggen barren wasteland.

Heck, the Windows Phone Store crossed the 126k app mark recently and it still lacks some apps, but has more than enough to make most people happy.
Fixed. ;-)

jagowar

Heck, the Windows Phone Store crossed the 126k app mark recently and it still lacks quality apps.

Win8 already has more "big name" apps than wp7 has (at least for the things I was looking for) even with the total app count being under 10k and wp7 being over 100k.

the better option would be if your keyboard detached and your screen turned into a tablet. that is what I am looking for. screw windows rt and screw having two devices. The future of tablets and laptops is to combine them and use which ever you need at any given time.

YUP. Surface Pro + Type Cover is what I'm waiting for

StudioTan

Downloading now, I fogot to ask how this OS handles dual screens?

For the desktop it's better than Windows 7. Separate wallpapers or you can span 1 across all your monitors. I have a 5760x1200 wallpaper across 3 monitors. You can also have a taskbar on each monitor and they can either show all open apps or just apps that are running on that monitor.

For Metro it's still pretty limited, you can open Metro on the lower left of any monitor but you can't have Metro apps on separate monitors.

I finally received my Media Center key.

Oh, me too finally.

Posted in the Surface OT, but figured this belonged here, as well:

Edmonton, Canada pop-up store did not receive ANY Surfaces (save for the demo units). They were still "pre-selling" them, though - along with "Microsoft Complete", their $99, 2 year accidental damage warranty. I bought one, to get the 1yr Xbox Music Pass, and the $50 apology gift card, but it's still pretty frustrating waiting early in the AM to get this device, only to be told that UPS dropped the ball and that "Microsoft has loaded a Cessna in Redmond to bring some Surfaces ASAP". I was the fourth person in line to get one here, but, even after paying, and 5 hours later, no one can give us a straight answer as to when we will actually get the device. Best I got was a shameful, "Optimistically, we may get them around closing time at West Edmonton Mall (which is 6pm - 3 hours from now)".

I mean, I love Microsoft, and I hate to say this, but that would never happen to Apple for their iPad launch. Why weren't these devices in stores days ago?

Hilarious, but still excited. I'll be waiting by the phone, as they said they will personally courier the device to wherever I am in the city as soon as they get them in.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking at the Video store and you can rent Prometheus, Avengers, Snow White and the Hunger Games for 0.99 cents each (in Canada).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Can I just delete Windows.old?

I just installed over my Windows 7. It's taking up 19 gb.
if you don't have any files in there you want then sure. Have to use disk cleanup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-remove-the-Windows-old-folder
I was looking at the Video store and you can rent Prometheus, Avengers, Snow White and the Hunger Games for 0.99 cents each (in Canada).
I have a feeling we will see a Xbox Video Pass at some point.

Top Bottom