• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Anybody having an issue with MS not sending email to confirm your account? I pretty much can't do anything with Windows 8. I get an error that says it can't send email, I don't know why.

Thanks, I'll give that a look.

I "get" the whole thing, just learning where they put everything, but that link is ironically describing some of what I'm talking about.

1. click on link, it wants to open an app
2. "Did you mean to switch to apps"
3. answer yes
4. no app installed to open this type of link (rtsp), wants to look in the store for something to open it with
5. answer yes
6. no app available
7. click link again - Did you mean to switch to apps?
8. answer no
9. .....nothing happens

fuck%20meme%20jackie%20chan%20mind%20mindfuck%201600x1200%20wallpaper_www.wallpapermi.com_88.jpg

It does feel a bit heavy-handed to begin with but once you get used to all the differences/hotkeys, it becomes second nature. Anything in particular you're struggling with?

I'm really going through the store and figuring it out. The store seems to be the big key/piece around Windows 8.

I am looking for a Chrome browser but haven't found one (probably does not exist). I know I can back to the desktop but it seems so counterintuivie to go back and forth between the Start screen and the desktop. I want it all to be centralized.

The Store looks somewhat barren, I have to do some digging to see what exists. I found an app called "metro commander" that seems it may address some of my issues around lack of "tinkering" with the background stuff (files, folders, settings, etc.)

Also, the right mouse button's lack of usefulness is a little jarring as a long-time Windows user.

PG2G

Don't force yourself to use Metro apps when it doesn't really make sense to. If you're on a Desktop/Laptop, the standard desktop is where you will probably be spending most of your time.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Win8 is running circles around Win7 on my laptop (although that could be due to the bloatware that came on my laptop, which was eliminated due to the clean install). Much better on battery life as well, can actually use my cooling mat now. Really enjoying it so far, although I've already replaced Internet Explorer with Firefox (hope they make a Modern UI app).

Oh, and the iHeartRadio app is great.

There is a beta version of it. Do a google search I'm sure you can find it.

haha oh man.... you have no idea... I deal with people on a daily basis making at or near 6 figures who are mystified by zip files, or attaching things to an email, or saving something into a different default folder.

I thought it was just a sign of a different time, but now I am seeing younger people (like late teens / early 20s) who are of that "it just works" generation and are totally at a loss when facebook is down, or any sort of troubleshooting is required. Growing up in the 80s and 90s were really a blessing if you were into computers I guess. We just take that for granted now.

about young people, completely true. Used to work at a college. People make a big deal about young people being so computer literate, but it's not true. They can all figure out how to upload and share a thousand photos around the world, but ask them to edit a spreadsheet or save something into a specific folder and they are lost.

deleted

I scanned the last few pages and the OP but I think my question hasn't been addressed yet:

A friend of mine wants to buy a windows 8 pro version - downloadable only. He insists that he doesn't want a disc regardless that he can toss it away after buying it and only keep the key. He's a digital only guy.

The MS shop doesn't offer a dl-only windows 8 version. Is there such a thing yet? And will they release something like that?

wwm0nkey

I scanned the last few pages and the OP but I think my question hasn't been addressed yet:

A friend of mine wants to buy a windows 8 pro version - downloadable only. He insists that he doesn't want a disc regardless that he can toss it away after buying it and only keep the key. He's a digital only guy.

The MS shop doesn't offer a dl-only windows 8 version. Is there such a thing yet? And will they release something like that?

pro upgrade is digital

clav

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy

$39.99

Digital.

Can be used to clean-install with a USB/DVD drive BIOS boot. (Create installation media.)

Have at it.

deleted

pro upgrade is digital

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy

$39.99

Digital.

Can be used to clean-install with a USB/DVD drive BIOS boot. (Create installation media.)

Have at it.

Sure, but that's only the upgrade. He's on a mac without a previous windows license and he needs one to activate the upgrade, right?

I could let him use my PC, but I don't know how that works out legally and what happens if I decide to upgrade myself.

AnkitT

How can I download all my kindle books to the offline storage? Doing it one by one seems like a drag, but i'm probably just missing something.

Really frustrated that Windows 8 won't send me the confirmation email. So I used my gmail account to first register the user on the OS. Was that a mistake? Will W8 not send those comfirmation emails to gmail? It's not in my junk folder or all mail... It's a total bummer.

clav

Sure, but that's only the upgrade. He's on a mac without a previous windows license and he needs one to activate the upgrade with one, right?

I could let him use my PC, but I don't know how that works out legally and what happens if I decide to upgrade myself.

Even though it says upgrade, several GAFers including myself have successfully used it as a clean install.

Is there any way to get the photos application to open my pictures library with the smaller view of my folders/pics by default? (the view you get when you click the - sign at the bottom-right of the screen)

MarkusRJR

I am correct in assuming there is no way I can use the xbox music on my windows phone 7?
I asked someone in the WP thread and apparently being a paid Xbox Music user means you have a Zune Pass also? I'm still kinda sceptical because I heard a bunch of stuff saying the DRM is different or something when Xbox Music launched. I'll try the trial next month for myself and see if it's the case.

Edit: If you mean app-wise, MS said they aren't updating the Zune app to add the new features of Xbox Music (free streaming, cloud stuff).

no, sadly not.
Huh?

PG2G

I am correct in assuming there is no way I can use the xbox music on my windows phone 7?

Depends what you call "Xbox Music." It pretty much is the same as Zune Pass. You can download stream music, smart DJ, download DRM'd music, etc.

The differences will be things like cloud playlists, cloud locker, and cloud match. None of which are going to be around until 2013.

Animator

I basically wanted to be able to create a playlist on my computer and sync it to the phone so I can listen to it offline.

I couldn't sign up to the zune pass before because for some reason the zune software kept saying I was in states and didnt let me use my canadian credit card. If the xbox music and zune accounts are the same I will try signing into zune with my xbox music account in a sec and see how it works.

Sure, but that's only the upgrade. He's on a mac without a previous windows license and he needs one to activate the upgrade with one, right?

i bought an upgrade key, and was able to use it on a retail disc just fine. when i finally got into the desktop, the trick that lets you activate a windows 7 upgrade key using a retail disc actually works on windows 8 as well. surprising to say the least.

what i mean by trick is method #2 in paul thurotts guide. its pretty common but he shows pictures and step-by-step instructions on how to do it. takes less than a few minutes to do.

the only issue i had with windows 8 is that when i was typing in slmgr /rearm, it would say i had insufficient privileges to run the command, so i had to go into windows explorer (sorry, "file explorer" now), search for cmd.exe, right click it and "run as administrator" (didnt know if this was possible using the new start menu so i just went into file explorer instead). i ran slmgr /rearm and it worked for me. restarted, and voila, activated copy of windows 8 pro using my upgrade key!

for the record, i used the key on a windows 8 pro vm in vmware fusion 5 using my 15" macbook pro. had no problems whatsoever.

clav

i bought an upgrade key, and was able to use it on a retail disc just fine. when i finally got into the desktop, the trick that lets you activate a windows 7 upgrade key using a retail disc actually works on windows 8 as well. surprising to say the least.

what i mean by trick is method #2 in paul thurotts guide. its pretty common but he shows pictures and step-by-step instructions on how to do it. takes less than a few minutes to do.

the only issue i had with windows 8 is that when i was typing in slmgr /rearm, it would say i had insufficient privileges to run the command, so i had to go into windows explorer (sorry, "file explorer" now), search for cmd.exe, right click it and "run as administrator" (didnt know if this was possible using the new start menu so i just went into file explorer instead). i ran slmgr /rearm and it worked for me. restarted, and voila, activated copy of windows 8 pro using my upgrade key!

for the record, i used the key on a windows 8 pro vm in vmware fusion 5 using my 15" macbook pro. had no problems whatsoever.

Did you not try activating it after the first install?

That worked for me. Didn't need a double install.

This workflow is completely ridiculous.

So, MS wont send me the email to confirm my account to my gmail.
So I click "Change email associated with this account."
Then it opens up -- in a browser window -- a screen that is linked to... a hotmail account that I have never logged in with on this OS (or in like 2 years). But, I don't want to change THAT email address, I want to change the email address I set up with W8.

This is ridiculous and simply does not work. Nobody else had an issue with MS not sending them a confirmation email to their Gmail account?

Unfortunately, the only info on google that shows up when searching for this problem is this Gaf thread. Sad no documentation for this,

Also... is there any way to take screen shots when using the tiles view? If you need to download an app from the store, I can't do that because it won't verify my account.

Did you not try activating it after the first install?

That worked for me. Didn't need a double install.

didnt work. it accepted the key just fine during install, but when i got into the desktop, it wasnt activated. i went into system properties (where it shows my system specs and which windows version im running), and at the bottom it didnt give me an option to activate. after changing the value in regedit, running slmgr /rearm, and restarting, it activated on its own.

Medalion

Banned
I asked this question last night but got no replies

Is anybody having any luck with upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8 while on a Macbook Pro using Bootcamp?

MCD

Another issue...I have three monitors and the damn corners have way little space.

Anyway to increase it?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Another issue...I have three monitors and the damn corners have way little space.

Anyway to increase it?
nope. either train yourself or use keyboard shortcuts. (they did improve it from the previews though, still needs work).

win c
alt tab

Dunlop

Start8 is a must for me. Very slick app.

I'm starting to think this as well. I think I would love the start page if I could pin it to always stay open on one of my screens, having to keep switching over to it to check out my e-mails/calander or whatever seems counterproductive when I could just do that from my desktop.

Also while I can switch over pretty easily, the pixel accuracy you need to place you mouse to get the desktop/startscreen pane will be absolutely brutal for people who are not very comfortable using a mouse. My mother has arthritis in her hand and even trying to teach her hotkeys would be painful. I think there should have been an acutual botton in the bottom left to make this easier on people

Start8 easy to remove if I do not like it or MS decides that don't want us to use it?

I asked earlier but I'll ask again, how can I activate a fresh install of Windows 8 RTM? I want to purchase a key online on microsoft's site but al they seem to offer is upgrades and not full install versions?

Anyone want to pinch in on this?

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Have any fellow Canucks been able to download and install the upgrade via Microsoft's upgrade assistant? Since yesterday (the 26th), when I run it, it gives me its compatibility report, and when I click "next," it just says "Windows 8 isn't available for online purchase in the country/region you're in."

Will I have to get a boxed copy?

derExperte

did a search for this and nothing popped up....?

It's for the Desktop and not Metro, just use Google.

How much is Toy Soldiers on the marketplace?

8,49€ in Europe.

Also... is there any way to take screen shots when using the tiles view? If you need to download an app from the store, I can't do that because it won't verify my account.

http://www.howtogeek.com/122181/how-to-take-a-screenshot-in-windows-8-with-no-extra-software/

Windu

I asked earlier but I'll ask again, how can I activate a fresh install of Windows 8 RTM? I want to purchase a key online on microsoft's site but al they seem to offer is upgrades and not full install versions?

Anyone want to pinch in on this?
If you have a windows 7, vista, xp pc around

windowsupgradeoffer.com $15 key for new pcs after june. Just lie and say you bought something after june. it will give you a promo code and will tell you to download the upgrade assistant (can't do it in 8....since you have 8). Once you get to the order confirmation page it will ask for the promo code, put it in and you get a key for 14.99. Then just cancel the thing and use that key to activate.

xbhaskarx

People complain that Windows 8 isn't ideal for non-touch devices. Has anyone heard of this Leap Motion thing? My friend sent it to me earlier:
https://leapmotion.com/
It's like a Kinect that actually works (and it's cheaper at $70), supposedly coming out in early 2013. If Microsoft was smart they would buy these guys and push this as it looks like it would make Windows 8 a lot more useful.

I have 3000 points on my Xbox. Why can't I use them everywhere, from Windows 8 to Windows Phone 8 to the Xbox? MS half baked vision of unifying their service is getting on my nerve.

And you really can't expect everyone to have a goddamn Visa. Like, I am not gonna tell my mom to get a Credit Card to buy fucking Angry Birds.

THINK OF THE MOMS.

All the rumours are that the next Xbox won't use points primarily either but I strongly believe that there still will be gift cards sold just like you can get gift cards for iTunes.

If you have a windows 7, vista, xp pc around

windowsupgradeoffer.com $15 key for new pcs after june. Just lie and say you bought something after june. it will give you a promo code and will tell you to download the upgrade assistant (can't do it in 8....since you have 8). Once you get to the order confirmation page it will ask for the promo code, put it in and you get a key for 14.99. Then just cancel the thing and use that key to activate.

Bookmarked. Thank you good sir.

Windu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/rt-disclaimer
Windows RT disclaimer

Windows RT includes Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview Edition. When the final version of Office Home and Student 2013 RT becomes available, it will be installed by Windows Update. There is no cost for the download, but Internet access (with any fees that apply) will be required. Some features and programs are unsupported. Office Home and Student 2013 RT is licensed only for non-commercial use (except in Japan). For more details, see the Office Home & Student 2013 RT product page.

Windows RT will run applications only from the Windows Store.

Windows RT is automatically kept up-to-date by Windows Update, which can't be disabled. Internet access (with any fees that apply) will be required to update Windows RT. Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are turned on by default and can't be disabled in Windows RT.

Windows Media Center isn't available for Windows RT.

Some Windows RT devices might include a graphics processor that supports DirectX 9. Some games and programs might require DirectX 10 to provide superior performance and graphics. DirectX can't be upgraded on Windows RT devices.

Some Windows RT features, such as snapping apps side by side, might require advanced hardware.

Windows RT is compatible with mice, keyboards, printers, and other peripheral devices that are certified for Windows RT.

Internet Explorer 10 and Internet Explorer 10 for the desktop in Windows RT don't support add-ons.

Windows RT devices will run only the Windows RT operating system. They can't be upgraded or changed to run any other version of Windows.

The following features aren't included in Windows RT:
  • CD and DVD burning
  • HomeGroup creation
  • Document services, which includes integrated tools for faxing and scanning
  • Location-aware printing
  • Network location aware service
  • Domain join
  • Windows Media Player
  • Windows Journal
  • System image restore
  • Sticky Notes
  • Offline files
  • Sync Center
For more info about Windows RT, see Windows RT: Frequently asked questions.

Windu

People complain that Windows 8 isn't ideal for non-touch devices. Has anyone heard of this Leap Motion thing? My friend sent it to me earlier:
https://leapmotion.com/
It's like a Kinect that actually works (and it's cheaper at $70), supposedly coming out in early 2013. If Microsoft was smart they would buy these guys and push this as it looks like it would make Windows 8 a lot more useful.
seems just like a touchpad, windows 8 has added more support for gestures so that is probably the best way to go if you don't want to use a mouse/keyboard and don't have touch.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093H4WT6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom