• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Whogie

2012 MBP: Like all the previous builds, still getting the "An error occurred while trying to access the startup disk settings." opening the Boot Camp Control Panel :/

MCD

All the rumours are that the next Xbox won't use points primarily either but I strongly believe that there still will be gift cards sold just like you can get gift cards for iTunes.

That old ass rumor pointed at MS converting our points to $$ + PSN like gift cards but NOPE, all we got were rumors.

And for my screens issue, here is what I did to make the corners useable:

ivhaXd17w2nMF.jpg

Made my 4:3 monitor down a bit so the main monitor right corner won't connect to it.

That old ass rumor pointed at MS converting our points to $$ + PSN like gift cards but NOPE, all we got were rumors.

And for my screens issue, here is what I did to make the corners useable:

ivhaXd17w2nMF.jpg

Made my 4:3 monitor down a bit so the main monitor right corner won't connect to it.

Last time I checked the new Xbox didn't come out yet. And its not like MS announced it yet. I'm sure they are shifting to money for the next Xbox because they realized that normal folks (the people that they are appealing to with stuff like Kinect and Surface) don't want anything to do with buying points.

Whogie

Edit: To clarify, the Boot Camp Control Panel in Windows 8.

Can't edit Boot Camp settings or reset into Mac through Win 8.
So atm I can't enable right click 'cause I'm locked out of the menu.

MedIC86

Can anyone get the FB integration to work? i accepted the app and logged in etc, but the contacts and status updates wont show up...

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Still hoping another Canadian can give me an answer about the download.

I just tried to call Microsoft to see what was up and got caught in an amazingly frustrating 30-minute loop of the same two support centres, where no one knew anything and just passed me back and forth. Gah.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Still hoping another Canadian can give me an answer about the download.

I just tried to call Microsoft to see what was up and got caught in an amazingly frustrating 30-minute loop of the same two support centres, where no one knew anything and just passed me back and forth. Gah.
Worked fine here. Something wrong with your internet provider, perhaps?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Have any fellow Canucks been able to download and install the upgrade via Microsoft's upgrade assistant? Since yesterday (the 26th), when I run it, it gives me its compatibility report, and when I click "next," it just says "Windows 8 isn't available for online purchase in the country/region you're in."

Will I have to get a boxed copy?

I had same issue so i went and bought the box.
not sure if its going to be changed but didn't want to wait

Dunlop

Have any fellow Canucks been able to download and install the upgrade via Microsoft's upgrade assistant? Since yesterday (the 26th), when I run it, it gives me its compatibility report, and when I click "next," it just says "Windows 8 isn't available for online purchase in the country/region you're in."

Will I have to get a boxed copy?

I was able to, I had issues with the store afer I installed windows 8 and apparently my region was set to US, which I put back to Canada

So goto Control Panel-->regional options and set it for the US and try again?

I know it is supposed to be working in Canada as there are a ton of posts on RedFlagDeals of people who have installed

As time goes on I'm liking this dual system mentality less, I had an instance of Desktop Chrome and Metro Chrome (or whatever the terminology is). When I closed the Metro version the system completely lost the desktop version..but didn't close it. I could only get back to it from the task manager

I'm really trying to make this work Microsoft :p

Windows 8 just fucked up my internet somehow. I can still ping, so DNS is working, but I can't use web browsers or the metro apps. Shit sucks.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Worked fine here. Something wrong with your internet provider, perhaps?

I don't know what that could be. We're with TekSavvy; no special settings, tunnels or anything. The Microsoft Store tries to reroute me to the UK store (which is amazingly stupid) to download. I triple-checked my system settings and I'm not set to live in bloody Ireland or anything.

Gah!

Shurs

I asked this question last night but got no replies

Is anybody having any luck with upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8 while on a Macbook Pro using Bootcamp?

No issues with the install, but I am having problems.

The trackpad on my Macbook Pro does not work, but a USB mouse will.

Also, the keyboard seems to only work 1 out of every 5 times that I boot into Windows 8.

Dunlop

I don't know what that could be. We're with TekSavvy; no special settings, tunnels or anything. The Microsoft Store tries to reroute me to the UK store (which is amazingly stupid) to download. I triple-checked my system settings and I'm not set to live in bloody Ireland or anything.

Gah!

like I said, check the regional settingon either your PC or check your windows LIVE account home region , I seem to remember it defaulting me to UK when I would login to the xbox site

edit: also type : where am i in google and it should tell you the city you are at. If it says somewhere in the UK then there is an issue with your PC, if not it is with MS

Also you do not use a VPN or service like Unblockus?

jhawk6

Is there a way to put a tile on the start screen that will switch user accounts?

I'm going to be setting up a windows 8 computer for my parents next week and I think a his/hers setup with 2 accounts so they can each have their own Facebook and email integration would be ideal.

I'm afraid that navigating through the charms bar to switch users will be too much for them as well as the ctrl-alt-del method.

Would be even better if u could switch users without a password but they will need Microsoft accounts to use the app store but I think the picture password option should be fine for them if only a tad inconvenient.

kurahadol

Is anyone having issues with the Windows 8 cd hanging at the Blue logo splash screen when initiating an install? It will not move past this at all for me. I've tried multiple times with the same results.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
for those of you that don't want animations. Search for "animation" and filter by settings.

mwNaW.png

Alucrid

Banned
So to get this on my laptop and desktop I'll need to buy two right? I could've sworn with my OEM version of Vista I installed it on two computers with the same key though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So to get this on my laptop and desktop I'll need to buy two right? I could've sworn with my OEM version of Vista I installed it on two computers with the same key though.
upgrade is limited to one pc, not sure about the oem copy.

PG2G

Is there a way to put a tile on the start screen that will switch user accounts?

I'm going to be setting up a windows 8 computer for my parents next week and I think a his/hers setup with 2 accounts so they can each have their own Facebook and email integration would be ideal.

I'm afraid that navigating through the charms bar to switch users will be too much for them as well as the ctrl-alt-del method.

Would be even better if u could switch users without a password but they will need Microsoft accounts to use the app store but I think the picture password option should be fine for them if only a tad inconvenient.

Clicking the account picture on the start screen to change accounts shouldn't be too bad. Much easier than ctrl+alt+del anyway.

Blackhead

Redarse
People complain that Windows 8 isn't ideal for non-touch devices. Has anyone heard of this Leap Motion thing? My friend sent it to me earlier:
https://leapmotion.com/
It's like a Kinect that actually works (and it's cheaper at $70), supposedly coming out in early 2013. If Microsoft was smart they would buy these guys and push this as it looks like it would make Windows 8 a lot more useful.
How does that seem JUST like a touchpad?
the touch pad does all of that but without having to hold your hand up. Well except for the stylus.
Windu, It's not just like a touchpad.

xbhaskarx, Microsoft has similar stuff in the works:
Microsoft Research gives Kinect-style controls the fingers | Ars Technica

Sinistral

As a Canadian, I installed this fine on through upgrade assistant on Thursday, fresh install with a Thumb Drive. (Directed at LestradeTGQ)

Not directly for MCD, but multi monitor findings for myself.

I find the Multi monitor to be quite elegant. I have my main workstation monitors, 2 24"s on my stand up desk, with a 46" a few feet away on my TV stand. When switching from work to play, in windows 7 I had to change what the main monitor to whatever all the time.

Now, I can easily do all the mouse gestures without any switching, whatever monitor the gesture is done on, the relevant menu is shown on that monitor. Start button now defaults to what monitor the last gesture was used to call the start screen on.

Corners can be tricky at first, however I've trained (when I dont use Win Key shortcuts) to do curved motions with the mouse, Aiming toward the top or bottom, then swinging to the side (all fluid, all fast). The corner zone stoppers work really well.

Metro apps on multiple monitors would be great, I agree, but so far, really enjoying Windows 8.

Edit: Desktop application launching location is still the same (not the greatest). Remembering where the application was launched last and launching on that monitor. Would be nice if where ever metro screen is stuck, the application is launched from the same monitor.

Medalion

Banned
I went to Future Shop today to check out Windows 8... I tried it on a tablet, the ASUS Vivo tab, and it was intruiging

I did buy a copy of the upgrade version of Win 8 Pro, and am in the process of installing it on my Macbook Pro in Bootcamp... I hope it doesn't fuck up

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, surely someone has found a way to create a custom Windows 8 tile for the start screen.

I want to be able to use a tile (such as an image for the Steam grid view) and attach it to a tile which launches the program in question. Would definitely make for a more interesting start screen.

Any options?

I tried OblyTile, but it does not work.

oh man. i shouldn't have used the same windows media center key on this computer. it became a preview build and asked for windows activate key. i tried the other one i bought saying this version of windows can't be used with it. hopefully it doesn't affect my laptop.

MCD

Just messed with MS Touch mouse. I like swiping for the charms bar but they really need a right handed shape + a two finger sensor for this.

Yes, fuck ambidextrous mouse.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
like I said, check the regional settingon either your PC or check your windows LIVE account home region , I seem to remember it defaulting me to UK when I would login to the xbox site

edit: also type : where am i in google and it should tell you the city you are at. If it says somewhere in the UK then there is an issue with your PC, if not it is with MS

Also you do not use a VPN or service like Unblockus?

Thanks for the suggestions. I already tried all those steps, unfortunately. I'm set to Canada and Google knows where I am (*insert creepy music*). I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 installation, and no Live account is associated with it.

I don't use Unblockus or any VPN services, so I know it's not that.

I tried a method someone suggested elsewhere: run the Upgrade Assistant as WinXP SP3. It technically works—it brings me to the download page, except it won't let me do a proper installation, because it thinks I'm using Windows XP.

Amazing, Microsoft. Such a smooth and wonderful experience.

MCD

Mmmmm...

Can someone tell me how snapping works? I mean, I can snap just fine but why can't I adjust the windows however I want? It's currently only fixed to one size only:

dejay

Banned
From what I can gather, you can only set IE to open in Metro mode if it's the default browser? Otherwise the option to change methods is greyed out.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Maybe I am blind, but is there a "web browser" tile?

I have one for mail, weather, messaging etc.

The nice large default ones.

I have an "added" tile for Chrome & IE, but they are ugly ;P

zychi

Banned
is windows 8 compatible with a kinect? the tiles seem simialr enought to the kinect menu on xbox to hook up to a htpc and use the kinect.

or has this already been established and i'm late on it?

dejay

Banned
Maybe I am blind, but is there a "web browser" tile?

I have one for mail, weather, messaging etc.

The nice large default ones.

I have an "added" tile for Chrome & IE, but they are ugly ;P

There's an IE one that is installed by default.

Mmmmm...

Can someone tell me how snapping works? I mean, I can snap just fine but why can't I adjust the windows however I want? It's currently only fixed to one size only:

Authors of metro apps have to create three versions of the interface - full, 2/3 and 1/3. Having infinitely adjustable sizes would break the design and make creating apps more difficult. I guess they could (and probably should) have specified a 1/2 size as well.

Top Bottom