• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

MCD

I answered your question on the last page. I purchased the upgrade offer to Windows 8 Pro and did a clean install. It worked.

Sorry. I missed that.

The retail comes with Windows 8 key so I don't need to purchase anything from the online Windows assistant.

This is awesome BRB GONNA GO BUY ME A WINDOWS 8.

Anyone else installed Windows 8 on an iMac in Bootcamp? It works pretty well, but I have some issues that maybe somebody else already solved. I have an early 2011 iMac with a 2,5 GHz i5, 12GB of RAM and the AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics adapter. I run a dual monitor configuration with a 27" iiyama 1080p display attached to it.

I installed the bootcamp 4.0 drivers, so I should have all the drivers at their latest iterations as provided by Apple.

My issues are:

- the iMac display is extremely dark. It is set up as not being the primary display. The brightnes controls don't change anything it it.
- the volume controls work, but the step from very loud to mute is in the last 5% of the volume control, while the remaining 95% are between very loud and very very loud.
- also the volume is very inconsistent between apps. Watching a youtube Video in chrome (i tried various and the volume in the youtube player was set to max) is pretty low compared to the volume in tunein radio stations.
- the scrolling on the magic mouse works, but is extremely jumpy. I tried with various tools to try to make it behave a little bit like on MacOS (like http://coburner.de/dev.php?s=en&p=Magic_Mouse_on_Windows), but the results are underwhelming at best.
- I can't get the Music App to add my itunes library (on the MacOS disk partition). I added it to the music collection and I can browse the folder in the Windows Explorer seeing all the tracks and such, but the Music app keeps saying there's no music available.

derFeef

Can someone tell me what the payment options are for the Upgrade (assistant) version? Just CC only? Still waiting on my new one and I don't want to miss the offer.

MarkusRJR

I am hoping that it gives me the Points option since my Microsoft Account (Xbox) is linked and all.

Yeah, WP7 fucked us royally in the payment area. No gift cards, No Paypal, no nothing.
Wait, hasn't Windows 8 already launched? Can't people with Windows 8 devices just check the store on their devices? If someone could do that for me on their Surface/PC I'd be thankful. I'm so close to picking up an RT Surface and this is the only thing really stopping me (apart from the ridiculous price they're selling them).

Since this is a new page... My question was "what are the payment options for the Windows 8 app store? Do they support prepaid gift cards?"

fritolay

I have tried to get chrome to run in metro. I have changed he default browser back and forth after downloading from the dev channel. The articles I read where chrome first started testing a metro style were for versions 21.x on the dev channel. Now I am running 24.0.1305.3 dev-m.

I just found under the menu there is an option "Relaunch chrome in Windows 8 mode". This finally did the trick. (once you change this setting, the menu has the option to "Relaunch chrome in desktop mode" to switch back)

Hope this helps

longdi

Banned
I just wants to rant on the metro start screen, the only reason ms forced it is so that you will go to their store and buy apps! grrr!
Navigating on metro and the apps is really not as productive as the old desktop. taskbar multitasking, close/minimize, resizing windows, able to leave tons of W.I.P files on desktop...but no, i have to hold and drag to close an app on a 30" monitor which doesn't always work perfectly even on W8 tablets......grrr!

I hope big business will force them to give us a default start screen choice....perfection so close yet so far.

derExperte

Heres a pro-tip for closing Modern apps. Theres at least 3 ways to do it (without going into task manager):

- swipe from the top left of the screen downwards to pop up the list of apps and then middle click on the app you want to close (or you could right click and then click close on the menu that pops up)

Didn't know that one, nice.

Dunlop

Anyone have the link where I could download the ISO? I'm installed and everything is fine but I would like to have it on DVD in case I need to rebuild urgently.

I installed it via the wizard because I was in a rush last night.

Still not enjoying how to close appls, just feels awkward (dragging, not the alt-F4), going to try and figure out how to macro alt+f4 to one of my mouse buttons

also, while not a FB fan, the integration in Metro is pretty awesome

Anyone have the link where I could download the ISO? I'm installed and everything is fine but I would like to have it on DVD in case I need to rebuild urgently.

I installed it via the wizard because I was in a rush last night.

Still not enjoying how to close appls, just feels awkward (dragging, not the alt-F4), going to try and figure out how to macro alt+f4 to one of my mouse buttons

also, while not a FB fan, the integration in Metro is pretty awesome

you could just let the apps "run" as they are using basically no ressources

strata8

I just wants to rant on the metro start screen, the only reason ms forced it is so that you will go to their store and buy apps! grrr!
Navigating on metro and the apps is really not as productive as the old desktop. taskbar multitasking, close/minimize, resizing windows, able to leave tons of W.I.P files on desktop...but no, i have to hold and drag to close an app on a 30" monitor which doesn't always work perfectly even on W8 tablets......grrr!

I hope big business will force them to give us a default start screen choice....perfection so close yet so far.

I don't understand why people insist on actually closing Metro apps... it's bizarre. Years of routine and shitty memory management by the OS, maybe?

Metro is horrible once you start getting past 1920x1080 and 20-21" screens though, I'll give that to you. It's lovely on my 14" 1600x900 laptop.

Is TROLL on?

Did your IEEE reg info ever come? To day is my 8th day and no dice here. I'm kind of happy I went ahead with the 15$ upgrade offer. It's the cheapest way I know of to get into Windows 8.

LOL! Turn up your mouse speed :p

Honestly... Just use hot keys. It's fine.

Has the performance improved from the Consumer Preview? Might have been my older PC, but even Solitare was a laggy mess and my PC frequently froze when waking from sleep. Didn't love the CP, but for $39 might try this out.

Milchjon

A friend of mine uses Win8 on a touchscreen laptop with a scondary screen. Apparently he has now encountered a bug where Windows "forgets" which one's the touchscreen, his touches register on the other screen.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

I think it's one of the funnier bugs, he doesn't agree :-D

longdi

Banned
LOL! Turn up your mouse speed :p

Honestly... Just use hot keys. It's fine.

im already running pretty high dpi with 1:1 and no acceleration, any faster will not make it less hassle to hold and drag...it is just nonsense...imo gestures works well for something small like the playbook but not on even >10" w8 tablets/laptops...what more a mouse.

Dunlop

The gmail integration into the mail app is nice (has the labels) except I am not notified in the icon if I receive mail from that account. The calander app works perfectly with my google calander.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

im already running pretty high dpi with 1:1 and no acceleration, any faster will not make it less hassle to hold and drag...it is just nonsense...imo gestures works well for something small like the playbook but not on even >10" w8 tablets/laptops...what more a mouse.

I understand where you’re coming from. The first time I had to do that with my mouse felt strange. It's not faster than pressing an X for sure but I like that its more deliberate and I've also gotten used to it. Even with my keyboard with a dedicated close button is seeing about as much play in Win7 (none)... I've just always gone to the hotkey (Alt-F4) when on keyboard and drag when I'm on desktop. Even after a long break from 8, it still all feels natural. All I can tell you is just power through it till it becomes familiar if something is rubbing your patience. I'm on a 24" 1920x1200 so maybe the extra six inches changes the dynamics much more for that single gesture but everything else should be pretty straight forward and fast.

In seriousness, not speed but turning up acceleration really helps to get the pointer were you want it near instantaneously with a quick snap of the wrist.

MedIC86

I hope someone can help me:

- I have a new pc with no previous versions of windows whatsoever, what do i have to buy? can i buy the 'upgrade'? (there is no windows to upgrade?) or do i have to buy the OEM version that they sell in the stores (they dont sell that online for download right?)

thanks

SeanR1221

So I posted about this laptop yesterday.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6941745&pid=1218816106471&ev=prodView

A few guys helped me with it. It's 100.00 off at Costco so I'm considering it. Question is, is there a better laptop in its class for around the same price? I love the touch screen so I'd want that too. Is having an i5 instead of an i7 a major downside? I know the resolution and weight are downsides. How about Acers reputation, what's that like? Sorry for all the questions, I haven't used a PC in almost 12 years.

Troll had posted some benchmarks of a PC with the same graphics card but an i7, would the benchmarks for this be significantly different because of that?

Anyone? :)

You can install the upgrade version on a clean drive.

- I have a new pc with no previous versions of windows whatsoever, what do i have to buy? can i buy the 'upgrade'? (there is no windows to upgrade?) or do i have to buy the OEM version that they sell in the stores (they dont sell that online for download right?)

thanks

Askani

Man...this kind of sucks so far. I mean, yeah I've only spent 30 minutes or so dinking around, but my initial impression isn't good. I hate hidden menus. The apps are limiting compared to the website counterparts. Nothing seems intuitive. When you go to things like the "top free" buttons, it's just a blob of app blocks with no organization. Stupid horizontal scrolling. This is going to take me forever to get used to.

MedIC86

You can install the upgrade version on a clean drive.

really? weird to call it an upgrade version then, so i get an iso from them that i can install on an empty HD, thats a pretty good deal then. because if you dont have anything installed you cant run the upgrade assistant

Link Man

Banned
Win8 is running circles around Win7 on my laptop (although that could be due to the bloatware that came on my laptop, which was eliminated due to the clean install). Much better on battery life as well, can actually use my cooling mat now. Really enjoying it so far, although I've already replaced Internet Explorer with Firefox (hope they make a Modern UI app).

Oh, and the iHeartRadio app is great.

Nymerio

Woah that thing where you can snap apps to the side is genius. I just wish there was a better music app around, haven't yet found out how I can add my music from a samba share.

longdi

Banned

thanks

you can install but you cannot activate without changing a registry key and typing some cmd prompt. :(

Link Man

Banned
Oh wow, the app store even has pause functionality (turn off your computer and it will resume downloading when you turn it back on). This is great for me.

GuessWho

I have an hotmail account but only really use it for xbox. My main is a gmail account. I am curious as to how that will work. I want both accounts but I want gmail to be set as my default. Will I lose any of the features on win 8? like messaging and contacts?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Man...this kind of sucks so far. I mean, yeah I've only spent 30 minutes or so dinking around, but my initial impression isn't good. I hate hidden menus. The apps are limiting compared to the website counterparts. Nothing seems intuitive. When you go to things like the "top free" buttons, it's just a blob of app blocks with no organization. Stupid horizontal scrolling. This is going to take me forever to get used to.

I'm obviously not the most positive user on the site, but I would say that the hidden menus become more sensible when you realize that they're consistent across every single program. So what you give up in immediate accessibility, you gain in per-program accessibility. Want to search inside a program? You don't need a hotkey, or a menu, or anything. You just use the Search Charm. Want to configure a program's settings or options? You don't need to figure out if they're under File or View or Windows or a custom GUI element, you just use the Settings Charm.

I still agree that certain apps are not yet well designed and particularly the App-Context menu (right click menu) is poorly implemented, just as it has been in a lot of WP7 apps. I also believe that there should be a one-button close button rather than requiring gesture closing or just using the tablet/mobile style "don't close anything at all" philosophy. But I'm not against the Charms menu or the App-Context menu in general.

I have been running it for a day now and I am starting to dig it. Perhaps MS was not so crazy after all. I just wish when launching things from the metro screen it does not go to the desktop. It is sort of jarring.

ep85

Can I just wipe the whole folder? Anything I would lose?

Also, did it place the installer anywhere...so I can burn it to a disk and throw it on my storage HDD.

It is literally your old windows install. If there were any important documents or music or videos that you forgot to backup from your old install, they will be living in the folder. To delete it you will need to use disk cleanup.

Dynamic3

It is literally your old windows install. If there were any important documents or music or videos that you forgot to backup from your old install, they will be living in the folder. To delete it you will need to use disk cleanup.

Thanks. Do you know where the W8 install files are so I can shift them to my storage HDD?

Top Bottom