• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The gmail integration into the mail app is nice (has the labels) except I am not notified in the icon if I receive mail from that account. The calander app works perfectly with my google calander.

Is there a setting I'm missing?
Turn it on in settings.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
possible to adjust the size of the snapped window?

No, and that's by design. Snapped views are only available on Widescreen monitors and they're a fixed width regardless of your overall resolution, so the programs are developed assuming a fixed width.

Shurs

... did you install the bootcamp drivers? Works perfectly for me (2012 MBA)

Everything transferred over from my Windows 7 bootcamp install, which worked without issue. When I try to update the drivers from within Windows 8, I get nowhere.

Should I re-download the drivers on my Mac partition, put them on a thumb drive and install them in Windows 8?

Ok guys I'm running Windows RTM, where can I purchase a CD key online to activate this thing? On MS's website the only options I see are upgrades, my install was a fresh install.

What do I do?

MedIC86

One last thing: does anyone know if you run into problems if you upgrade a
less
legal version of windows 7 to a legal windows 8?

Kikarian

One last thing: does anyone know if you run into problems if you upgrade a
less
legal version of windows 7 to a legal windows 8?
It should be fine.

One thing that Annoyed me was wanting to upgrade from Windows 7 32 bit, too 64 bit Windows 8.
The only way I know of is running it from a bootable USB Stick.

But I'm just using 32 bit win 8 now...

CS4 is a no-go! I can't afford to buy a new copy of creative suite ;_;

I guess I'll have to put some feelers out on Ebay :(

Has anyone had any luck installing anything older than the latest adobe creative suite?

Another installer was blocking it tis all. Sorry for the trouble :(

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
atm I've found that Hauppauge HDPVR and Colossus tv cards aren't working in MediaCenter 8.

I can get them to work in windows8 using showbiz app so its not a hardware driver issue but a mediacenter driver app issue.

I've emailed Hauppauge about potential beta drives but if theres no answer I might have to roll my HTPC back to windows 7 for the next while.

Anyone else use the HDPVR or Colossus had any success scanning for channels under windows 8?

Ydahs

Found another way to get back to start if you have a trackpad with Win 8 drivers.

Swipe in from the right, but instead of 'flicking', hold your finger down and release it. You can also move your finger up/down to scroll through the charm bar options.

The problem I've found with this is that it activates the charms bar if you swipe from the left to switch apps directly afterwards.
Nice! I think I managed to do that once by accident but didn't know how.

Oh my, and there's always that way too. Didn't realise you could do that :) Still think it's quicker to Windows Key + Type though.

Windows Key + X then P is the quickest :)

So when I open apps and they end up in the left pane, should I close them at some point, or is the performance hit negligible? I'm running through the left pane with a buzzsaw after three or four apps are open.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So when I open apps and they end up in the left pane, should I close them at some point, or is the performance hit negligible? I'm running through the left pane with a buzzsaw after three or four apps are open.
they suspend after a short time, no need to close them.

PG2G

If you look at the task manager you'll see they are using memory but taking 0% CPU usage. No need to go closing things unless you need to do something extremely memory sensitive I guess. I'm not sure how aggressive the OS is about killing things.

Heh I haven't done a system backup in 2 months. Only 30% on my backup. :p

Too bad it doesn't matter. I don't have a flash drive or a DVD burner at the moment somehow. :( Going to have to wait after my college football game to upgrade it seems.

Anyone figure out how to force small icons to become bigger icons? I want my Chrome Metro icon to be a rectangle rather than a square, and it's bugging my OCD :(

win8desk30iij.png

Why are your Chrome and Origin icons so much better than mine?

just out of interest:

If I buy a non-stylus tablet and buy a shitty capacitive pen - is there a manual switch or somnething in one note so i could still do basic handwriting or circling stuff?

strata8

When you first 'close' them, they get suspended in memory and don't use any CPU or disk. After overall RAM usage is high enough the memory used by suspended apps is dumped into a swap file on the hard disk. Case in point, Video app using 1.3MB of RAM:
videoram.png

Igo

Sorry if its already been answered, but what does the five upgrade licenses per customer bit mean? I'm guessing installs, so if I were to upgrade from win 8 rc now and then do a clean install later, that would be two licenses gone, right? Does that $60 version also have that proviso?

I was having a hard time updating most of the apps that came installed on metro last night but I just went into the store a few minutes ago and they all (about 11 of them) went through smoothly.

Could it be they were getting slammed yesterday?

One question, should I still keep my AHCI drivers ready for a clean Win 8 install?

Doesn't hurt. I put all my drivers on a USB and it saved my ass because I had one RAID driver for my SSD that was necessary for the installer to see the drive I would eventually install Windows on.

I had no problems detecting my AHCI drives though but better safe than sorry right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The "over 9000" thing is a bit weird--the article says the US store only has 5000 apps. For what locale are the other 4000? And especially since the US store seems to contain quite a lot of Chinese apps, I'm guessing the actual number of US-english apps are quite a bit lower. I'm sure every company similarly lies, but the figure just seems starkly incorrect in this case :p

Why is media center paid this time? I don't see any improvements.

MS's argument is that no one uses it and they need to pay upfront licensing fees for various patent things, so it's better to save the cost in the OS and pass it on directly to the people who need it.

derExperte

Because it includes DVD playback which costs MS money for licenses. And considering the very low price for upgrades I think it was a good idea to leave it out. Also if you have Pro you can get it for free right now.

LOL... the improvement is a cheaper windows upgrade. There's heavy licensing associated with MediaCenter MS decided to pass on to only does who want it. I'll get it since there's a free offer going on for Win8 pro users but I've always been a MPC guy even if MediaCenter is the superior product.

Shurs

I reinstalled the Bootcamp drivers and re-started my MacBook Pro.

Now it doesn't recognize any of the number or letter keys on my keyboard so I can't log in.

The On Screen Keyboard doesn't work.

PG2G

The "over 9000" thing is a bit weird--the article says the US store only has 5000 apps. For what locale are the other 4000? And especially since the US store seems to contain quite a lot of Chinese apps, I'm guessing the actual number of US-english apps are quite a bit lower. I'm sure every company similarly lies, but the figure just seems starkly incorrect in this case :p

It isn't from the company. Microsoft hasn't really said anything regarding app count

http://www.winappupdate.com/ runs metrics once a day

MCD

How dumb can MS be?

NO POINTS

NO GIFT CARD

WELL THEN HOW THE FUCK I CAN BUY YOUR SHIT ASSHOLES

And my Visa isn't working anymore. Fuck this.

Enco

If your account was set to the wrong region I think you were locked out of certain stores like music.

Is that still the case? What exactly are the limitations? Can you do anything about it?

MCD

Most people were happy to see Points go away. What is wrong with the existing payment options?

I have 3000 points on my Xbox. Why can't I use them everywhere, from Windows 8 to Windows Phone 8 to the Xbox? MS half baked vision of unifying their service is getting on my nerve.

And you really can't expect everyone to have a goddamn Visa. Like, I am not gonna tell my mom to get a Credit Card to buy fucking Angry Birds.

THINK OF THE MOMS.

just downloaded this. Sight unseen basically.

Very different....not sure if like or not yet.

As an existing Windows 7 user, it seems to be a lot of work to integrate yourself into the Windows 8 "experience". Not sure if the payoff is worth it.

Totakeke

I have 3000 points on my Xbox. Why can't I use them everywhere, from Windows 8 to Windows Phone 8 to the Xbox? MS half baked vision of unifying their service is getting on my nerve.

And you really can't expect everyone to have a goddamn Visa. Like, I am not gonna tell my mom to get a Credit Card to buy fucking Angry Birds.

THINK OF THE MOMS.

Use your paypal account for her. :)

Moving away from points is their unification plan though iirc.

clav

How dumb can MS be?

NO POINTS

NO GIFT CARD

WELL THEN HOW THE FUCK I CAN BUY YOUR SHIT ASSHOLES

And my Visa isn't working anymore. Fuck this.

Yeah I complained about this in the WP threads.

I was wondering when Microsoft will change MS points to $ credit for Xbox.

That's the only way to fix this.

fritolay

I have an hotmail account but only really use it for xbox. My main is a gmail account. I am curious as to how that will work. I want both accounts but I want gmail to be set as my default. Will I lose any of the features on win 8? like messaging and contacts?

I am using gmail as well. I am not sure what features exactly you mention to confirm if you lose them. Out of the box however the calendar and email app work with gmail. The messaging item seems to want to your your windows ID, but I am not an expert.

PG2G

THINK OF THE MOMS.

I have a bunch of points too. It doesn't bother me because they have always been Xbox Live Points and were pretty much useless everywhere else. They will continue to work on Xbox for the sake of people that already have them, but they are moving away from that too.

I guess I see a problem for kids, but most people (i'm thinking US-centric here) should have something (credit card or debit card) with a Mastercard or Visa logo on it nowadays. And when that doesn't work, PayPal does.

Ydahs

Seems a bit short-sighted on MS's part to leave out the use of their own point cards. Hopefully it's something they'll include down the track.

just downloaded this. Sight unseen basically.

Very different....not sure if like or not yet.

As an existing Windows 7 user, it seems to be a lot of work to integrate yourself into the Windows 8 "experience". Not sure if the payoff is worth it.

It does feel a bit heavy-handed to begin with but once you get used to all the differences/hotkeys, it becomes second nature. Anything in particular you're struggling with?

Top Bottom