• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

dejay

Banned
I take what I said yesterday about xbox music and how it interacts with the 360 via smart glass. There's definite potential there to be great, but it's a fairly disjointed experience.

Actually, that's not exactly correct. Metro apps have to support a minimum resolution of 1024x768 and a snapped state with a fixed width of 320px. When an app is snapped on a 1366x768 screen, the resolution of the main app is exactly 1024x768.

Ahh, ok.

Nander

This Adera game is actually kind of awesome. It's free in the store, but I'm still on Episode 1 so it might be that the following episodes aren't free.

And it's completely voiced...even in Finnish! Which came as a complete shock, since I installed Windows 8 in English and I only set my keyboard language to Finnish...

Another thing I noticed is that the maps app is smooth as hell. So much better than Bing Maps in a browser.

derExperte

I'm referring to the downloaded version burned on a disc.

No, for whatever stupid reason if you start the upgrade assistant on a 32bit Windows it'll only download a 32bit W8 image. The key is valid for both of course but you have to get 64bit from somewhere else.

I need help with the install.
After it finishes installing my PC restarts but once i get to the splash screen below and it just spins without ever doing anything. Is there a fix for this?

windows-8-clean-install-03.png

Anyone encounter this? I think I've tried everything and nothing ever gets past this screen.

Leckan

So basically I have to download the OS and burn the disc on another computer that is running 64-bit.

Can I still use my own serial number even though it's 32-bit?

derExperte

So basically I have to download the OS and burn the disc on another computer that is running 64-bit.

Can I still use my own serial number even though it's 32-bit?

Yes and yes. I'm sure there are images of the 64bit version floating around the internet that you could use but I don't know any reliable sources right now.

Anyone using an ASRock UEFI motherboard notice Windows 8 (Pro x64) throttling their overclocked CPU back down to factory speeds? I have a Intel 3930K factory clocked at 3.2GHz I run at 4 GHz (as I did on Win 7). I just noticed its being reported as 3.2 all over the OS even when the system is working... granted I haven't run anything tasking on the system yet, it should report the speed of the CPU in computer property. It did in Win7 but Win8 is consistently reporting 3.2 instead of 4 GHz.

This Adera game is actually kind of awesome. It's free in the store, but I'm still on Episode 1 so it might be that the following episodes aren't free.

And it's completely voiced...even in Finnish! Which came as a complete shock, since I installed Windows 8 in English and I only set my keyboard language to Finnish...

Another thing I noticed is that the maps app is smooth as hell. So much better than Bing Maps in a browser.

sucks that it's not an updated map. i see my house still have the tree from 3 years ago lol.

kagete

So... Is there anyway to spoof running in Win 7? Something like an app compatibility function? I've goofed and installed this without even thinking about my VPN access to work, which obviously doesn't support win8 yet.

SeanR1221

Well I grabbed that Acer V5 touch laptop from Costco since it was on sale for 750.00. I have 90 days to decide if I like it or I can return it for a full refund. So it was a low risk decision. Costco usually gets their own models and I did notice one unfortunate thing, the ram is 6gb instead of 8. Is the ram upgrade able? I haven't been on a windows machine in over a decade. Will post impressions tomorrow.

Nander

sucks that it's not an updated map. i see my house still have the tree from 3 years ago lol.

Oh, really? Because I noticed that a newly-built roundabout that's not in the Nokia Maps in my phone is actually there in the Windows 8 maps (both in maps and in aerial view).

zedge

Doctor, I made this quickly if you want to use it:

http://i.minus.com/i0YO5TIXMVLbL.png[/MG]

Here are some others I resized to use with OblyTile:

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/itetLfBaQz7do.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibo8aXPxihkRTf.png[/MG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibpP5oevjltbbO.png[/IG][/QUOTE]
Sweet! Thanks.

Adera needs more love; I was blown away by its production values. The way "Adera" disintegrates on screen when you resume the game is quite cool, but what really impresses me (besides the actual game) is the way information is laid out. You can read about each collectible you have found, see your achievements at a glance, find wallpapers from the game, get help etc. I kind of wish each of the Windows 8 games had a launch page like Adera's. It may not be necessary, but I appreciate the fact that they went the extra mile when creating the game.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Adera needs more love; I was blown away by its production values. The way "Adera" disintegrates on screen when you resume the game is quite cool, but what really impresses me (besides the actual game) is the way information is laid out. You can read about each collectible you have found, see your achievements at a glance, find wallpapers from the game, get help etc. I kind of wish each of the Windows 8 games had a launch page like Adera's. It may not be necessary, but I appreciate the fact that they went the extra mile when creating the game.

Yeah, the game is definitely well done. Think it is supposed to come to WP8 as well and you will able to continue your game on either platform.

MCD

I love having Xbox Music on my 2nd monitor and surfing with my main but come on now

No separate volume? Is the Xbox Music team fresh graduate or something?

And my Microsoft Desktop Combo 5000 Mute button doesn't even work with the app but at least the Pause button works.

Oh Zune, why did you die so soon.

Goldrush

So I'm upgrading from Vista. My understanding is that I would need to reinstall all my programs. I'm worried about some of my serial keys for programs like photoshop. Should I uninstall everything of value to deregister it before installing Windows 8?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I love having Xbox Music on my 2nd monitor and surfing with my main but come on now

No separate volume? Is the Xbox Music team fresh graduate or something?

And my Microsoft Desktop Combo 5000 Mute button doesn't even work with the app but at least the Pause button works.

Oh Zune, why did you die so soon.
they want you to use hardware buttons for some reason.
So I'm upgrading from Vista. My understanding is that I would need to reinstall all my programs. I'm worried about some of my serial keys for programs like photoshop. Should I uninstall everything of value to deregister it before installing Windows 8?
back everything up. and then install.

dejay

Banned
Would you recommend this tutorial http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm?
I've never done a fresh install before.

Yeah - seems pretty comprehensive. You've basically already gotten your key - make sure you have it written because you'll have to enter it step 7. Ensure you've backed up your important stuff. I lost my emails and bookmarks because I couldn't be assed, but really I kinda liked the fresh start.

Do you have a reserve internet connection in case something goes wrong or need to download drivers or something (or ask questions here)?

Fresh installs are great - less junk left over and a system is always zippier after a fresh install.

New problem this time: I'm stuck at the lock screen. Rebooted after installing some updates, and put in the password for my account (the only account on the installation), and it said "That password is incorrect"...two hours later, 5 different changes of my Live account password, and hundreds of different password combinations, I'm fucking pissed. I can't even get into safe mode, because of course, you have to turn that shit on from windows. At the end of my rope here.

EDIT: I KNOW the password is right, and I know the computer is connected to the internet...blah...so tired and pissed.

dejay

Banned
New problem this time: I'm stuck at the lock screen. Rebooted after installing some updates, and put in the password for my account (the only account on the installation), and it said "That password is incorrect"...two hours later, 5 different changes of my Live account password, and hundreds of different password combinations, I'm fucking pissed. I can't even get into safe mode, because of course, you have to turn that shit on from windows. At the end of my rope here.

EDIT: I KNOW the password is right, and I know the computer is connected to the internet...blah...so tired and pissed.

Perhaps try the on screen keyboard from the accessibility thingy. Maybe your keyboard got switched to another language.

Yeah - seems pretty comprehensive. You've basically already gotten your key - make sure you have it written because you'll have to enter it step 7. Ensure you've backed up your important stuff. I lost my emails and bookmarks because I couldn't be assed, but really I kinda liked the fresh start.

Do you have a reserve internet connection in case something goes wrong or need to download drivers or something (or ask questions here)?

Fresh installs are great - less junk left over and a system is always zippier after a fresh install.

I don't know if this is a problem but here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm
on step 5 it says to save Nothing but when I ordered I chose to save Windows Settings, Personal Files, and Apps. Would this create a problem with the fresh install?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Upgrading from Win7. Got to the end and it just says "We could not install Windows 8" and it reverts back to Win7. No explanation in the error whatsoever.....

MCD

luckily for me my keyboard controls work.

Update: I tried foobar and mute button works + MS disabled the keyboard OSD by default because the OS has one built in.

Nice. But they need to fix Xbox Music's volume ASAP.

dejay

Banned
Top Bottom