• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Are you saying you can't get an iso image because you've previously selected a different option and now it's not giving you another option?

No, I was able to create one on a flash drive. I was just wondering since the tutorial said to select to save nothing and I chose to save the settings, files, and apps if it would create a problem with the fresh install.

Perhaps try the on screen keyboard from the accessibility thingy. Maybe your keyboard got switched to another language.

That's some quality thinking outside the box, but a little eye icon button is there that I can use to see what I'm typing in the password bar.

dejay

Banned
No, I was able to create one on a flash drive. I was just wondering since the tutorial said to select to save nothing and I chose to save the settings, files, and apps if it would create a problem with the fresh install.

No, you're basically going to nuke whatever's on the existing hard drive and write over it - see step 10 and onwards.

Upgrading from Win7. Got to the end and it just says "We could not install Windows 8" and it reverts back to Win7. No explanation in the error whatsoever.....

Exact same thing happened to me - ended up doing a clean install, which is what I would have tried in the first place if I knew it was an option.

derExperte

You can download 64-bit ISO's legally?

You could with W7, it's all about the license so there's no reason why an unmodified ISO should be a problem: http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/ But there's nothing like this for W8 yet afaik.

How do I disable the lock screen, can't see an option for that.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57457967-75/how-to-bypass-the-windows-8-log-in-screen/

(btw we should put stuff like this that gets asked often in the OT)

Quick

Banned
Here's a few more:

iiXOGZdyozpvj.png

isNgAyHURUlze.png
ibdHlnRyWeQBe9.png

iGyCClGvlYJIw.png
ibf1LsCuk2e0Vd.png

iLqLXDnNCtQXo.png

Lucifon

Are any of you guys struggling with the search not picking up things?? First Teamspeak wasn't showing, now if I type 'origin' in the search there's 0 listings in Apps. It's seriously useless...

dejay

Banned
I wasn't even thinking about customising the start menu but OblyTile is pretty neat and easy. Pity there's no option for larger tiles.

That's some quality thinking outside the box, but a little eye icon button is there that I can use to see what I'm typing in the password bar.

Ahh, never noticed that before. Good luck, your situation sounds frustrating.

Lebron

Kind of stupid question, but how do you close windows/apps you have open? I've only seem to be able to swipe them back to active.

dejay

Banned
Kind of stupid question, but how do you close windows/apps you have open? I've only seem to be able to swipe them back to active.

Move mouse to top of screen, hand appears, drag to bottom of screen. I find the action quite therapeutic.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Can I somehow browse the Windows Store without having W8 yet?
not at the moment. I would have thought that stuff would be live already. /shrug.
So the free ad-supported Xbox Music is US only or what? Because it wants me to pay 9€ to use it...
should be for everyone. see if you can stream a full song, if so then you have it. Lasts for 6 months then after that its 10 hours free and you need to buy the pass to get unlimited.

Dunlop

PC rebooted multiple times to install media center then my gmail acount was not able to sync, until I created a new application password.

Win8 and google double authentication not play nice?

SlickVic

So if I use the Upgrade Assistant to put the install files on a USB stick, does that mean I can boot from it to install Windows 8 to a separate partition? Still want to keep Vista around for now and keep W8 separate.

Nander

I don't think every song is available to play. I'm in the US and a lot of them are preview only.

Everything I've looked at this far has been preview only. Shouldn't at least the stuff on the front page work? Could you give an example of something that works for you?

Windu

Wow. Not going to lie. Kind of digging Windows 8.

Question. If I download the "skype" app does that mean I can uninstall my w7 skype app?
yes.
Everything I've looked at this far has been preview only. Shouldn't at least the stuff on the front page work? Could you give an example of something that works for you?
try creating a smart dj thing. search for the smashing pumpkins or something.

Lebron

Got the new Asus Q200E laptop that has the touchscreen built in, liking it so far. Still getting use to W8, but it works pretty well with it. Really like being able to interchange with the track pad and touch depending on what I'm doing. The specs aren't the greatest, but I just wanted something simple to coincide with my Note 10.1 for studies. It will tide me over till the better hybrids come out next year.

Dunlop

Slacker Radio app is nice

Anyone in Canada have this on their 360? According to the site I am supposed to have it and I can't figure out if being in the beta screwed it up or it's just not available here

Husker86

I am so frustrated with how MS handles Xbox Gamertags. I can't move it to my current email address because I guess I made a different Gamertag under that one and I can't delete it because you can't delete gamertags, only move them. And now I can't move the one I don't want off of my current email address because I just imported it to my Xbox to attempt to move it but now I have to wait 30 days...my mind is full of fuck. Why the hell can't I just delete it and move my actually used Gamertag?

Guess I'll have to sign in to Windows 8 with an email address I don't use anymore.

It really does, I go from hating it and then loving it and then hating it again...

Currently checking out the "People" tile, the facebook integration is damn nice

Oh it's going to be awesome. I was a disbeliever and I am blown away. I just need to get over myself and things will be better.

My pc feels faster, just doing an upgrade even on a SSD. Well worth upgrade.

zedge

Is there anyone here who upgraded to Windows 8 that plays the Planetside 2 beta? Mine no longer works since upgrading. Just stops responding when the game launches.

Dunlop

New bizzare problem, I wanted to pin a webpage (Neogaf of course) but when I launch Internet explorer from the Start page it seems to run the desktop version so none of the metro gestures will work

Tried to look in all programs and it sees it as a metro app but launches the other version

halp!

Firehead

New bizzare problem, I wanted to pin a webpage (Neogaf of course) but when I launch Internet explorer from the Start page it seems to run the desktop version so none of the metro gestures will work

Tried to look in all programs and it sees it as a metro app but launches the other version

halp!

Search "Default Programs" in the start menu and choose Internet Explorer as default. That's the only way that I know. Wish there was a way to keep Chrome as my default for my desktop and have IE in the start menu.

Edit:

Is there a way to make programs launch as admin without having to right-click on it, and remove these admin icons?
p8V8K.png

Didn't have to deal with these in Windows 7. :/

AnotherEdit:

Don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but you can move your mouse to the bottom right and slide it up to bring up the settings tab, so you can restart from there.

Dunlop

Search "Default Programs" in the start menu and choose Internet Explorer as default. That's the only way that I know. Wish there was a way to keep Chrome as my default for my desktop and have IE in the start menu.

Edit:

Is there a way to make programs launch as admin without having to right-click on it, and remove these admin icons?
p8V8K.png

Didn't have to deal with these in Windows 7. :/

thanks! that fixed it, I'll use it to add the website then just put chrome back

Nander

So the free ad-supported Xbox Music is US only or what? Because it wants me to pay 9€ to use it...

After its launch on Tuesday, the free music streaming will only be available for Windows 8 and will be available in 15 markets. The subscription-based Xbox Music Pass and Xbox Music Store will be available in 22 markets, The Verge said.

So I guess Sweden is one of the 22 markets that gets Xbox Music, but not one of the 15 with free streaming. That sucks. :(

Windu

the way browsers work in windows 8 is confusing but it is this:
  • Default Browser has access to the Metro Browser and the Desktop Browser.
  • Not Default Browser only has access to the Desktop Browser.
Internet Explorer has options to change the behavior of how it opens too. I assume Firefox and Chrome will have this feature at some point.

646vO.png

internet options-programs

And I believe applications can't change what the default is, you have to go into Default Programs yourself and do it.

Medalion

Banned
Ever since I upgraded to Win 8 on my Macbook Pro, noticing the fan is coming on a lot more than it used to... I guess there is a lot more graphical rendering with the GPU than before but that's just kinda odd

Windu

Ever since I upgraded to Win 8 on my Macbook Pro, noticing the fan is coming on a lot more than it used to... I guess there is a lot more graphical rendering with the GPU than before but that's just kinda odd
probably just drivers being shitty

Vestal

Could be driver related as well.

Totakeke

I'm not sure what issue it is, but sometimes it takes a minute or so before I get to the login screen. Same as the preview version. It just sits at the screen with the blue windows logo without any animations.

Animator

Doctor, I made this quickly if you want to use it:

i0YO5TIXMVLbL.png

Here are some others I resized to use with OblyTile:

itetLfBaQz7do.png

ibo8aXPxihkRTf.png

iNQl2xT0fIEAX.png

Man those are really good!

Any chance you can make icons for after effects, premiere. autodesk maya and luxology modo? I will be grateful forever all icons I try to make look like shit :(

Top Bottom