• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Leckan

Thanks guys.

Question 2:

Is there anyway to pull up a "search" from any screen. ie if I want to open computer is there a location I can hover to so that windows knows I want to do an app search w/out having to click search button from corner menu?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Thanks guys.

Question 2:

Is there anyway to pull up a "search" from any screen. ie if I want to open computer is there a location I can hover to so that windows knows I want to do an app search w/out having to click search button from corner menu?
hit the windows key and start typing. (or just type if you are already on the start screen).

MrBig

Thanks guys.

Question 2:

search works the same way as W7, open the start screen (bottom left of any screen) and start typing. Pressing the win key opens the start screen on the last monitor it was open on.

Whogie

I was struggling to get some Games for Windows Live games to launch. I luckily stumbled on a site that mentioned that the newest build of GFWL is included in the free Steam game Microsoft Flight. That actually fixed it for me.

Also, Games for Windows Live is triggering the Xbox SmartGlass notification on my other computer, lol.

No, I was able to create one on a flash drive. I was just wondering since the tutorial said to select to save nothing and I chose to save the settings, files, and apps if it would create a problem with the fresh install.

There shouldn't be a problem... Of course I did the same option you did, but apperently because my Windows 7 install had gotten effed up over its lifetime it caused problems with Windows 8.

All I did to solve the problems I had was to go into the Charms (Windows+C) Go into Settings>>Change PC Settings>>General>>"Refresh your PC without affecting your files." So if you're running into trouble just do that

It took only 10 minutes for me, but it basically re-installs Windows 8 from the hidden drive Windows 8 creates when it's installed for the first time and migrated over my files. The only thing I had to worry about was re-installing my programs, but I got that done within an hour because you can now multi-task installers (instead of only being able to do one at a time like previous versions of windows)

So the free ad-supported Xbox Music is US only or what? Because it wants me to pay 9€ to use it...
It works here in Canada

bedlamite

So it seems all apps you download from the marketplace get dumped into your Windows drive. My SSD is solely for my Windows install while I have a separate partition off a regular HDD for my programs and now Windows is cocking that all up. It seems you can edit the registry to move the program files but that'll most likely break my currently installed apps. Sigh MS

Zizbuka

Banned
Well, I think the preview messed up my Inspiron Duo's recovery partition. While I'm waiting for a recovery disk from Dell, I decided to install Win8 on my desktop. It's only $15, so why not.

Unfortunately, I've tried twice and both times it just hangs. The new Win icon (blue squares) is on the screen, and the little spinning dots just freezes. Eventually I have to power down the PC. When I turn it back on, I get a message that the install failed and it's rolling back to my previous OS (Win 7). I did all this from within Win 7, I'll try burning a disc and booting to it. Just frustrating. At least it was kind enough to put my PC back to working.

Medalion

Banned
The installation of the program threw me at a few turns, I wasn't sure if the program was frozen or still installing

Suffice to say, when you get to the part with the multiple reboots and the blue window picture and the swirls, don't be impatient... that thing takes longer to install than you would think

Quick

Banned
Man those are really good!

Any chance you can make icons for after effects, premiere. autodesk maya and luxology modo? I will be grateful forever all icons I try to make look like shit :(

Done.

iMTjSG51UGDfZ.png
iVe1feNDJF3CJ.png

iy1z1XOk1Huj8.png
ibsp3Io2Pz986W.png

ih9fYs2HGK9Gu.png
iPlTj21P24wiI.png

i7uOt53MFYmqQ.png

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Windows 8 so far has been less than enjoyable. I cannot add Windows Media Center. I added the code to Add Features but it was stuck at the upgrading assistant for over an hour. I ended it now the Add feature keeps saying Checking Key for the past 30 minutes.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Excellent thread.

I really can't believe how good Windows 8 is. And this is coming from a fairly regular Mac user. I'm actually debating a Lumia 920 now.

Medalion

Banned
I'm still debating whether to go full till, and upgrade all my comps to Win 8

My desktop remains windows 7 in case I regret my upgrade on my laptop but so far I haven't seen any huge impacting probs

Kaladin

Thanks to a kind soul here I have Windows Media Center downloaded.

For anyone wondering, it looks like your tv settings can carry over if you want them to. I'm not sure what all that includes yet, but I will let you know when I know.

Edit: Yep, it includes everything including recording schedules.

Troll

Banned
Just a couple random issues so far. My computer randomly lowered it's resolution for about five seconds before reverting back to normal. The second problem is on the lock screen where the time and notifications are placed when I wake up my PC sometimes it looks sort of low res and glitchy. I just had a Windows update and the lock screen seems to have been fixed, so hopefully it won't come back.

Have been using both the release preview and the RTM edition for about 6months now so I am pretty well use to the new style of OS. My only complaint is that to do stuff such as change metro tile images, backgrounds etc requires third party software.

I look forward to the store getting more support and especially the tunein radio app to get an upgrade closer to the iOS/Android version. Use this everyday on my phone and the pc one is lacking badly. It's really frustrating you can't minimize the program without the audio almost muting.

Sigh... We're supplying our sales force with updated Windows 8 laptops sometime in the first quarter next year. This/Next month we will begin assembling an image to image on the machines. lucky us!

clav

OP needs to add that a SSE2/PAE processor is required to install Windows 8.

I cannot upgrade AMD Athlon XP processors on Windows 7 to Windows 8.

Troll

Banned
Sigh... We're supplying our sales force with updated Windows 8 laptops sometime in the first quarter next year. This/Next month we will begin assembling an image to image on the machines. lucky us!

My work is doing this, too. They are going to be purchasing a bunch of Windows 8 devices over the next few months for various departments.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Are notification bar settings saving for anyone? I keep hiding the language and touch keyboard icons, but they're back at every boot.

My work is doing this, too. They are going to be purchasing a bunch of Windows 8 devices over the next few months for various departments.

Someone knows my feels! :)

The thing is for the most part everything is the same, but we're doing literally months of tests and durability. Another team is doing testing/development for NFC though I think.

Someone else suggested we also distributed Windows 8 Phones.... lol. There's none with Keyboards announced though. Everyones currently split between iPhones and Blackberry's

Link Man

Banned
I'm still debating whether to go full till, and upgrade all my comps to Win 8

My desktop remains windows 7 in case I regret my upgrade on my laptop but so far I haven't seen any huge impacting probs

Doesn't the Win8 upgrade include downgrade rights for Vista and 7?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Someone knows my feels! :)

The thing is for the most part everything is the same, but we're doing literally months of tests and durability. Another team is doing testing/development for NFC though I think.

Someone else suggested we also distributed Windows 8 Phones.... lol. There's none with Keyboards announced though. Everyones currently split between iPhones and Blackberry's

WP8 is supposed to have proper data encryption for business, which is good.

I'm not sure what issue it is, but sometimes it takes a minute or so before I get to the login screen. Same as the preview version. It just sits at the screen with the blue windows logo without any animations.

"Sometimes" as in randomly, or does it boot without hanging when you boot your PC for the first time, then hangs whenever you reboot?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I was under the impression before I installed this that this fucking god awful touch screen UI would be able to be disabled. I can't seem to find an option to it and all the tutorials seem to mention a registry key that does not exist anymore? Things are a lot quicker with the standard start button...

Exuro

I was under the impression before I installed this that this fucking god awful touch screen UI would be able to be disabled. I can't seem to find an option to it and all the tutorials seem to mention a registry key that does not exist anymore? Things are a lot quicker with the standard start button...
There's no "official" way to do it but there are programs that will boot to desktop and disable entrance to metro on top of adding a windows 7 style start menu. File explorer does pretty much everything I used the start menu for though so I really don't miss it.

Nemesis_

Thanks for the Obley(?)Tile recommendation guys, really good, something I really needed

Is there a way to make Windows jump to an already existing window using a tile?

EG. When I use FireFox (no tile) and I click it, it will jump to the desktop and my already opened window. But now, with the tile, it only seems to just open a new instance of the exe instead.

Is this doable?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
settings-power

win-I is settings shortcut
also ctrl-alt-delete has a power button and then there is alt-f4
aeYkN.jpg

"you thought wrong dude"

(you can use third party tools to do it)

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Gaspode_T

Excellent thread.

I really can't believe how good Windows 8 is. And this is coming from a fairly regular Mac user. I'm actually debating a Lumia 920 now.

Your post has warmed my heart back up after a questionable ride through the land of YouTube comments sent it to the cold depths of hell

I really don't mind criticism of anything Microsoft makes, and I pass on a lot of what I read onto the product team responsible for a certain area, but some of the...pure brand-hate Microsoft gets is really undeserved, and no *business* in the world is worthy of pure blind-love that certain companies seem to get. The only thing worth blind love would be something like a non-profit for a good cause...all businesses are businesses and if you think otherwise you are very naive...business is like a thing that makes Game of Thrones look tame.

Top Bottom