• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Theres a lot of "Should I upgrade to Windows 8!?!?" status updates on Facebook, with responses along the lines of "LOL don't do it" and "its soooo different! stay away!" and such. Its infuriating because people haven't used it yet, but are quick to dismiss.

I've been using Windows 8 since Thursday night and I think its great.

Medalion

Banned
Oh no, it's different

god forbid you should expand your minds to learn something different from a system whose interface has remained a little too similar since 1995 onwards

Quick

Banned
Theres a lot of "Should I upgrade to Windows 8!?!?" status updates on Facebook, with responses along the lines of "LOL don't do it" and "its soooo different! stay away!" and such. Its infuriating because people haven't used it yet, but are quick to dismiss.

I've been using Windows 8 since Thursday night and I think its great.

This is what I've been reading, annoys the shit out of me.

Oh no, it's different

god forbid you should expand your minds to learn something different from a system whose interface has remained a little too similar since 1995 onwards

God forbid we should move away from something that works great for desktops to something optimized for tablets.

Alucrid

Banned
Maybe I'm boring but I think I'm keeping my screen like this

6zfi1l.png

jsrv

Does Microsoft let you download the ISO for Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium? I have the DVD version only. I want to install Windows 8 upgrade on a optical drive-less computer, but to do that I need to install 7 first.

If not then I guess I can look around for an optical drive that isn't busted yet

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Ok....so a few initial questions...

-Right now I have main monitor and extended monitor. Is there a way to force metro start display to stay perma open on the main monitor, then have all my apps open on the 2nd monitor? The whole hovering the mouse in the upper corner, selecting start, then selecting a program is awkward. If I could just keep the metro thing open on a display that would make sense.

-When I have the Win7 like desktop display open on the main monitor I still have tons of folders, documents and files just sitting on the desktop. But, when I click on the icons nothing happens. Is that normal? I also can't right click or anything on that display. It's like it's visible but I can't do anything. I tried disabling the second display and the main display still doesn't do anything. What?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Does Microsoft let you download the ISO for Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium? I have the DVD version only. I want to install Windows 8 upgrade on a optical drive-less computer, but to do that I need to install 7 first.

If not then I guess I can look around for an optical drive that isn't busted yet
i'm sure you can find a windows 7 iso on piratebay or something.
Is there a way to label your rows on the start screen? I can move them and stack together, but I want to label them.
bottom right, the minus button. right click a group. (also ctrl+mouse wheel (or - button). (other applications support the zoom out feature as well, like the photos application) (also if you have a loooongg list of tiles, and you want to move a tile to the front quickly drag it down to the bottom and it will zoom out and then you can click where you want it, or just zoom out yourself instead of dragging down).
Ok....so a few initial questions...

-Right now I have main monitor and extended monitor. Is there a way to force metro start display to stay perma open on the main monitor, then have all my apps open on the 2nd monitor? The whole hovering the mouse in the upper corner, selecting start, then selecting a program is awkward. If I could just keep the metro thing open on a display that would make sense.

-When I have the Win7 like desktop display open on the main monitor I still have tons of folders, documents and files just sitting on the desktop. But, when I click on the icons nothing happens. Is that normal? I also can't right click or anything on that display. It's like it's visible but I can't do anything. I tried disabling the second display and the main display still doesn't do anything. What?
nope, sadly there is no way to keep the start screen on another display at all times. Multi-Monitor support needs a lot of work imo. Also I don't understand what you are talking about on the second part. The desktop should work exactly like 7.

So I just found a really neat shortcut menu for pretty much everything I'd need to access in Windows on a regular basis. Just right click on the bottom-left corner of your desktop where you would bring up the Start screen and BAM

uW9Ep.png

Look at all this useful shit! Nice!

JORMBO

Darkness no more
nope, sadly there is no way to keep the start screen on another display at all times. Multi-Monitor support needs a lot of work imo. Also I don't understand what you are talking about on the second part. The desktop should work exactly like 7.

Here is what I have:

Any of the icons on the desktop on the left side can't be clicked on. The ones on the task bar at the bottom also can't be clicked on. The clock and other stuff can't be clicked on. Just nothing happens. Anything on the right screen can be clicked on.

Windu

Here is what I have:

Any of the icons on the desktop on the left side can't be clicked on. The ones on the task bar at the bottom also can't be clicked on. The clock and other stuff can't be clicked on. Just nothing happens. Anything on the right screen can be clicked on.
weird. that is certainly not by design, it should work. (I have a multi-monitor setup myself). I don't know, restart? or maybe change the resolution or primary monitor? /shrug

So I just found a really neat shortcut menu for pretty much everything I'd need to access in Windows on a regular basis. Just right click on the bottom-left corner of your desktop where you would bring up the Start screen and BAM

uW9Ep.png

Look at all this useful shit! Nice!

WIN+X also brings up this menu from anywhere (including metro apps and start screen)

Deefuzz

All of the twitter clients on the store are garbage =/

Is there an app on the store for facebook?

I tried a few, the one I liked the best was called Metro Twit. It's not bad and the design of it is one of the more fitting that I have tried.

Excellent thread.

I really can't believe how good Windows 8 is. And this is coming from a fairly regular Mac user. I'm actually debating a Lumia 920 now.

I am in the exact same boat here. I use a MacBook Pro exclusively at home, and have had an iPhone for years. I loaded Windows 8 with Boot Camp and I REALLY like it a lot. It's taking a little bit to get used to and figure out. But the complete different train of thought with this OS is rather refreshing and surprising.

I too am now debating a Lumia 920. It looks real nice.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
After all the tomfoolery with not being able to get the download, I just went to my local Microsoft pop-up store and bought the physical installer.

The installation went smoothly (as smooth as 7, but faster), and I've been setting up my Start Screen and reinstalling apps (unfortunately, the installer didn't let me transfer any programs). Once Game Maker is working again, I'm all set.

I must admit, I'm getting to like this (I'm primarily a Mac user). And thanks so much for Obly and those custom tiles--they definitely came in handy.

Just installed Windows 8. Everything went smoothly, but every time I click an app it has start up screen with the icon and then it just closes. I can't get into any of them. I can start programs just fine, though.

Wow, I just had Windows 8 boot up in 12 seconds. Fantastic!

Quick

Banned
Just ran into a problem with OblyTile. Instead of launching the program I made an icon for, it launches the launcher script in notepad instead.

Rootbeer

Banned
To all auzentech card owners:

In my frustration I e-mailed their support team and asked about windows 8 drivers.

Here is their exact reply, which i received yesterday:

Dear name,

We are preparing the update on the Window 8 driver for our product.

Sincerely,

Jay DeWalques

Auzentech Support / RMA
Auzentech, Inc. www.auzentech.com

Honestly I'm shocked. But I hope they come out soon. They did not specify which card or cards will get the drivers, but then, i didn't ask specifically (nor did I mention a specific card)

I may want to upgrade from my Windows 7 laptop in the future. when I do, will I have to do a fresh install? or will all of my files and programs carry over? I won't upgrade if it makes me do a fresh install.

also, does anyone know if ableton live and sony acid pro work fine?

Medalion

Banned
I may want to upgrade from my Windows 7 laptop in the future. when I do, will I have to do a fresh install? or will all of my files and programs carry over? I won't upgrade if it makes me do a fresh install.

also, does anyone know if ableton live and sony acid pro work fine?

Upgrade means upgrade... for the most part your stuff will carry over, except some incompatible programs

Jzero

Every time i come back to the thread everyone is asking the exact same questions even though the answer may be a post or two above them or in the OP lol.

OP needs to add that a SSE2/PAE processor is required to install Windows 8.

I cannot upgrade AMD Athlon XP processors on Windows 7 to Windows 8.
Sure.

Toki767

Probably a silly question, but do I really need 20gb of space free to install Windows 8? I only have 10 free at the moment and I don't know how much I can really delete to free space.

Quick

Banned
Every time i come back to the thread everyone is asking the exact same questions even though the answer may be a post or two above them or in the OP lol.

People should check the OP first. Not only informative, but nicely laid out.

Jzero

Probably a silly question, but do I really need 20gb of space free to install Windows 8? I only have 10 free at the moment and I don't know how much I can really delete to free space.
Are you dual booting or something? I definitely wouldn't put it on that drive since that is a tiny amount of space.

Windu

Tips (READ THE OP) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496288
  • before install, set up your Microsoft account. account.live.com (add facebook, twitter, etc..etc..) So when you log in for the first time all of your stuff is set up. (for the most part).
  • $14.99 upgrade. WindowsUpgradeOffer.com For PCs bought after June. No Verification required, so lie. (need 7, vista or xp installed) (you get the key before you actually do the installation, so if you have a windows 8 install that isn't activated, use that key.) (upgrade = 1 license per device) (remember to install all of the updates after install, settings (right bar)- pc settings-windows update)
requirements
Home Button
  • Windows Key = Your Home Button. Always goes back to the Start Screen and the Previous application.
Where is the desktop?
  • Click the desktop tile. same as 7, just the start menu is now full screen.
How to shut down
  • power button - search "power button" and filter by settings. click "change what the power buttons do".
  • settings - mouse over to the bottom or top right, click settings-power. (charms bar win+c, settings win+i).
  • ctrl-alt-delete - power in the bottom right
  • alt-f4 - click on the desktop and then press those keys.
How to search
  • Start Screen - start typing then filter it by apps, settings, files and metro apps.
  • Desktop - Win Key + start typing then " " (example, winkey + "notepad" enter will open notepad.)
  • Win Q - App Search
  • Win W - Settings Search
  • Win F - File Search
  • Use Search - Want to change the mouse speed? search mouse speed, filter by settings. want to see how much ram you have? search ram, filter by settings. want to find out how to shut down the pc?....search turn off pc.
  • how do I search the store. search like above and choose the store app or start typing on the store home page
Task Switcher
  • Mouse - Mouse to the top or bottom left and move up/down.
  • Win+Tab - cycles through all metro applications plus the desktop (treats it as one application)
  • Alt+Tab - cycles through all metro applications and all desktop applications. (use this instead).
  • Cycle Through apps by clicking in the top left
Bottom Left
  • Left Click - Goes back and forth between the start screen and the last application. (windows button)
  • Right Click - advanced options menu (win x)
Start Screen
  • Move tiles by left clicking and holding and then moving the mouse.
  • Right click on empty spot for all programs
  • right click on tile for advanced options
  • name groups - minus sign in bottom right. right click group. (also ctrl+mouse wheel or - sign).
Settings
  • App Settings - Charm Bar (right bar) - Settings - Top Area (its context sensitive)
  • General Settings - Charm Bar (right bar) - Settings - Bottom Area (will always be there)
Devices
  • Use this to print from a metro application
  • Extend your Screen to another monitor
  • etc..
  • Share between applications
  • Share Photo from Photo application with Email Client to email it. etc..
Right Click
  • Always right click for more advanced options.
  • App Bar - top and bottom bar in applications can be accessed by a right click
Internet Browsers
  • Default Browser has access to Metro Browser and Desktop Browser
  • Non-Default Browser has access to only Desktop Browser
  • In Desktop IE you can change the launch behavior in internet options-programs.
  • how do I get metro IE? make it your default browser
  • how do I get metro chrome? make it your default browser
  • how do I get metro firefox? make it your default browser
  • Metro IE Flash support is whitelisted, if a site doesn't right click and click the wrench and click "view on desktop" (most major sites will work)
  • pin IE shortcuts to startscreen. right click inside IE and click the pin
Snap
  • Two Metro Snap states. 1/3 and 2/3.
  • Grab app from top and drag to either side and let go.
  • Right click in task switcher and select snap left or right.
  • Can have 1/3 metro app and 2/3 desktop.
Multi-Monitor
  • Right click taskbar and select properties to change some of the multi-monitor taskbar functions
  • Metro can only work on one screen at a time.
  • start screen can not be on at all time (will go away when loses focus from other monitor input).
  • metro apps can be on at all time on another monitor.
  • Drag and drop between monitors
  • win+pgup or pgdown moves metro apps between monitors.
  • click in corners to change where you want the metro stuff
Important things to remember
  • Windows Key = Your Home Button
  • Use the Corners
  • Right Click for more advanced options.
  • App Settings - Right Bar-Settings-Top Area(context sensitive)
  • General Settings - Right Bar-Settings-Bottom Area(always there
  • Use Search
close applications
  • dont need to, they suspend after short time
  • grab from top and drag down
  • alt-f4
  • right click in task switcher hit close
  • middle click in task switcher
sync windows phone
  • use zune
accounts
  • Microsoft Account account.live.com
  • you can use a local account, on install at the bottom when you get asked for a Microsoft account. after install, search for user accounts.
malware
  • Windows Defender preinstalled = Microsoft Security Essentials.
Preview Builds of Windows 8
  • Preview Builds of Windows 8 have not gotten any new applications for months and will not get any new applications. (you can use the preview till the end of January)
Have Google 2 Step Auth?
  • Use Application Code. Google Account-Security-2 step edit-manage app codes. Put code in as password
Can't see media in Media Applications?
  • Put your media in the library. (that is where the applications look to) Photos - Photo Library etc... (in file explorer).
Pinning
  • right click, select pin
  • Pin Stuff to the Start Screen (metro apps, inside metro apps, desktop apps etc..)
  • Pin stuff to the taskbar like control panel (can't do metro apps)
Volume Control inside Music, Video apps?
  • Have to use Hardware buttons
where are all the applications?
  • Store is separated by Region
  • settings - look for option to search apps that are not in your language
  • Move to a better country
  • xbox points? nope
  • store cc and paypal
where is media center?
mail notifications
  • mail settings-accounts-turn on notifications
  • pin each account to the start screen (right click inside app)
how do I get rid of windows.old?
  • disk cleanup
xbox music
  • Free ad supported streaming for 6 months. 10 hours free after that.
I hate these transition animations
  • search animation, filter by settings. click turn off animations
I want to change my desktop start screen tiles, they are ugly
can I browse the store online?
  • only the app pages. (site:apps.microsoft) they haven't made the home page live yet
disable the lockscreen
Refresh and Reset
can I use my xbox controller to naviage the start screen?
  • no. not yet at least, someone will create a solution
HTPC
I have duplicate contacts in the people application
  • open one of the contacts, right click and hit link and then add the others
how do I get google back?
I upgraded to media center and I have a watermark
  • restart, should go away
how do I take an image of my start screen?
  • windows key + print screen. image will be in your photo library-screenshots
"Just installed Windows 8. Everything went smoothly, but every time I click an app it has start up screen with the icon and then it just closes. I can't get into any of them. I can start programs just fine, though."
  • uninstall avast
Are Baseball Umpires Blind?
  • Yes
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I will probably keep adding to this and repost it every few pages.

Top Bottom