• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Exuro

Doubt we'll see anything like that happen until big games become Microsoft store apps instead of desktop apps.
Is this going to happen? I remember seeing a pic a while ago showing xbla type games being available but games like halo being xed out. Are there restrictions to windows apps compared to the desktop?

MCD

PG2G

Is this going to happen? I remember seeing a pic a while ago showing xbla type games being available but games like halo being xed out. Are there restrictions to windows apps compared to the desktop?

I would say no, because that would be cutting out everyone that is on Windows 7. It will probably happen eventually, but it'll probably wait for the Windows 8 users to increase and Windows 7 users to decrease. Microsoft store games can be written in C++/Direct X, so I'm not sure how different it is compared to the standard desktop environment. If its close enough, maybe we'll see separate Windows 7 and Windows 8 SKUs after a while.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
I kinda forgot to make an ISO before upgrading, is there a way I can do it? Can I run the upgrade assistant in w8 and do it?

Totakeke

only tried a handful of songs. they all work in media player just not in xbox music. i had to use the stupid "trick" because all my music is on my NAS

All my music are on my server and they show up and play perfectly fine. Did you configure your music library folders to include the music folder on your NAS?

Mangotron

I kinda forgot to make an ISO before upgrading, is there a way I can do it? Can I run the upgrade assistant in w8 and do it?

The upgrade assistant won't run on 8 afaik. You can download the .iso from anywhere (I think msoft might have it up, and I can't see the illegality of downloading a non-cracked .iso.) and then use ImgBurn or another iso burning program.

For the new page. Anybody?

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

I did an upgrade and had the same problem. I did a refresh (which wipes all installed software), and that helped.

EDIT: Just saw the other reply. That was probably my problem too because I also had Avast before. I could have saved a lot of time by doing that instead of a refresh. :/

PG2G

There should be a link in your purchase email to an app you can download to do the setup and/or create installation media.

linkboy

The upgrade assistant won't run on 8 afaik. You can download the .iso from anywhere (I think msoft might have it up, and I can't see the illegality of downloading a non-cracked .iso.) and then use ImgBurn or another iso burning program.

That's basically what I did, since I wouldn't be able to get it any other way due to my deployment.

Cronen

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

I did an upgrade and had the same problem. I did a refresh (which wipes all installed software), and that helped.

EDIT: Just saw the other reply. That was probably my problem too because I also had Avast before. I could have saved a lot of time by doing that instead of a refresh. :/

I upgraded. Just did a refresh, and same problem. Really not impressed, gah v_v. Completely clueless on what to do. Maybe a complete fresh install? :-/

Anno

Damn, IE10 in Metro mode is really fast. Still getting used to navigating it, though.

Would people recommend getting a gesture-enabled mouse? I'm getting close to needing a new mouse anyway...

quickwhips

Thanks for this awesome thread. I'm downloading now. So it looks like all my stuff is compatible. Anything I should be worried about that isn't in the first post?

kinggroin

Banned
I would say no, because that would be cutting out everyone that is on Windows 7. It will probably happen eventually, but it'll probably wait for the Windows 8 users to increase and Windows 7 users to decrease. Microsoft store games can be written in C++/Direct X, so I'm not sure how different it is compared to the standard desktop environment. If its close enough, maybe we'll see separate Windows 7 and Windows 8 SKUs after a while.

Ugh. I hope it essentially the same...

As it is, if I buy a game for windows live like Dark Souls, it should show in the windows 8 live center as playable using the integrated live interface.

I hope they capitalize on this as I actually LOVE using metro on my theater room pc, and Steam's Big Picture mode is still beta.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Going on two days now with not getting my Media Center key....grrrr.

Is there a work around to this?

Also, the custom tiles.

1) Someone should make an OT for making tiles.

2) How do you make customs for Metro Apps? My Chrome is default so opens metro style, but my custom link opens it in desktop mode.

gcubed

All my music are on my server and they show up and play perfectly fine. Did you configure your music library folders to include the music folder on your NAS?

yup, i followed the instructions to do the symlink to a folder on my hard drive. Trying to play directly off my NAS in xbox music also doesnt work (right clicking on the file and saying "open with"

none of my content (music/photos/movies) show up in metro. they all show up in my library folders

I called them and told them I had a promo code to purchase windows 8 cheaper. Since they can only give full refund I'll have to buy it again using the promo code.

So they sent me an email agreeing(eLOD) that I want a refund. After that you should get the money back in 24 hours.

is your old key disabled then?

Totakeke

yup, i followed the instructions to do the symlink to a folder on my hard drive. Trying to play directly off my NAS in xbox music also doesnt work (right clicking on the file and saying "open with"

none of my content (music/photos/movies) show up in metro. they all show up in my library folders

Don't use the trick. Just configure your libraries to add more folders which is correct method. Perhaps that will work.

gcubed

Don't use the trick. Just configure your libraries to add more folders which is correct method. Perhaps that will work.

can't do that for a NAS, it needs to be indexed, i have an ultrabook with a smallish SSD, don't want to waste the space

good lord though.. it makes me want a surface

Totakeke

can't do that for a NAS, it needs to be indexed, i have an ultrabook with a smallish SSD, don't want to waste the space

good lord though.. it makes me want a surface

Huh, never knew that. That would've been troublesome, good thing I opted for a more full fledged server then.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cross posting an answer from surface thread:

Apple bluetooth keyboard, mouse and trackpad all work flawlessly on Surface RT. apple key acts as windows/switch, presumably.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
For language, I had to go into the language settings and disable secondary languages
Dangit. I still need French available but I've always done it with hotkeys. I can live with it staying there I guess, but it's so strange that none of my settings stick.

And if that's the case with language, I'm guessing the touch keyboard isn't going to go away while I have a drawing tablet plugged in. :\

Cronen

I upgraded. Just did a refresh, and same problem. Really not impressed, gah v_v. Completely clueless on what to do. Maybe a complete fresh install? :-/

Just to follow up on this.

I 'Removed everything and reinstalled Windows' and I now already have everything on the Metro screen that I didn't before.

Whereas previously I ONLY had the Store and IE, I now have Messaging, Maps, Email, Music, Photos, etc etc! The store loads up too.

Now, it's not the practical way of fixing W8, it has done so. Hooray!

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
2 noob questions.

1.how do i add the favorites and other letters above the apps/ see pic
ibcACc4CUnyG87.png

2. how do i change icons of the app? how do i add a bookmark as an app?

I'm stuck on the "We're getting a few things ready" screen, and it's been an hour. I know it's not my internet connection, since I was able to install Windows 8 on my desktop from the same internet line. Any potential fixes for this?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
anyone know of a way to get the touch keyboard to come up on a non touch device in metro? I want to use it for my HTPC. I have the charms bar mapped to my remote and i would love to go to search and the touch keyboard come up and then use my remote to enter stuff.

I have a 64bit system and previously had Win 7 64 bit installed. Since upgrading to win 8 pro I've noticed in task manager, running processes all appear to running 32bit. Is this normal? I made sure to run the upgrade assistant from the 64 bit machine.

Any suggestions?

I have a 64bit system and previously had Win 7 64 bit installed. Since upgrading to win 8 pro I've noticed in task manager, running processes all appear to running 32bit. Is this normal? I made sure to run the upgrade assistant from the 64 bit machine.

Any suggestions?

Most programs are compiled for 32-bit. You can't downgrade from 64-bit Windows to 32-bit. To check the version you have installed, press Windows Key + Pause.

kaskade

Well I decided to just go for it. I can't really complain for 15 bucks especially since mostly everything seems to be compatible. ~25 minutes until it's done downloading.

Haklong

Netflix and Hulu Plus apps won't work with the latest NVidia beta drivers...that sucks. At least I can still use the browser in cases like this.

Diablos

HELP.

So I go into computer management and rename my account from, say, "Diablos Diggler" to "Diablos D." It's reflected in the lock screen, but not the start screen. Then it eventually reverts back to "Diablos Diggler" everywhere.

I made an offline admin account, logged off from the Diablos account, and tried to change it, but it says access is denied.

Help pls.

atomsk

Party Pooper
neither minesweeper or solitaire have actually been able to sign into my Live account, despite clicking games where it is very obviously signed in (same for email, etc)

keeps saying "A connection to Xbox could not be established. Please check your internet connection and try again"

welp

I have to say I'm enjoying the Metro vibe so far and I love having normal desktop right behind it.

Now I'm just anxious for official Firefox and Twitter Metro apps.

I hope the tech sites have some apps out soonish. Need more techy live tiles

I'd rather have a Flipboard app, but I don't think that will happen. It's a reason why I love my iPad so much after all.

I have to say I'm enjoying the Metro vibe so far and I love having normal desktop right behind it.

Now I'm just anxious for official Firefox and Twitter Metro apps.

Mozilla has a Metro app in the works and you can already try it, but it's in very early stages.

Top Bottom