• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

nan0

Would anyone be interested in an application that lets you quickly batch-pin programs and URLs to the Startscreen, along with optionally changing their icons?

atomsk

Party Pooper
I've managed to crash every Metro game that wants to sign into Xbox Live... despite being signed in on the OS level.

No idea what I'm doing wrong

SPDIF

So I've been working on an app that allows you to view the mobile site of any page. It's essentially just a browser that uses IE10's rendering engine, but I've changed the user agent string to force websites to show their mobile site.

These are the results so far:

Different snapped views
iUo6tttSM9cBD.png

ibl2Q1ZyhueIGv.png

Full screen view (if you really want it)
ivB7YOjVOrmdp.png

You've also got the option to change the user agent to something else if you want.
i3SicGzUMWrZH.png

So would anybody be interested in this? It'd be a free app of course. I just thought I'd get some opinions before developing this further.

If anybody uses Raptr, don't install it on Windows 8, it causes Metro apps not to work properly when it's running.

Specifically, it causes the Video and Music apps to not play media and it causes the Email, Photo and Hulu Plus apps to crash on start up. I'm sure there are more that it causes to mess up, but those are the specific ones I had problems with.

f0lken

So I've been working on an app that allows you to view the mobile site of any page. It's essentially just a browser that uses IE10's rendering engine, but I've changed the user agent string to force websites to show their mobile site.

Different snapped views
iUo6tttSM9cBD.png

Give me nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!

Toki767

My only two nitpicks so far are that

A) the Messaging app is completely useless if all you can do with it is chat with people on Facebook. They need to include Google Talk/MSN/Yahoo/AIM support.

B) My Gmail is set to sync but it doesn't notify me that I have new mail unless I go into the Mail app and it refreshes.

Toki767

My only 3 nitpicks so far are that

A) the Messaging app is completely useless if all you can do with it is chat with people on Facebook. They need to include Google Talk/MSN/Yahoo/AIM support.

B) My Gmail is set to sync but it doesn't notify me that I have new mail unless I go into the Mail app and it refreshes.

C) It would be nice if the What's New section of the People App could auto refresh so that I could have my Twitter/Facebook feed update in real time. Manually refreshing kind of seems like it ruins the point of having that page.

gcubed

My only two nitpicks so far are that

2) did you add Google through the gmail link in the app? That uses the "push" servers and should be instant. You also need to enable notifications for each service. It works well for me, my phone (android) beeps only a few seconds ahead of my computer

xptoxyz

What? Could've sworn it worked with that. Working with Facebook but not MSN/Windows Live? You sure?

Toki767

2) did you add Google through the gmail link in the app? That uses the "push" servers and should be instant. You also need to enable notifications for each service. It works well for me, my phone (android) beeps only a few seconds ahead of my computer

Going into Settings > Account> Add Account right?

GuessWho

C) It would be nice if the What's New section of the People App could auto refresh so that I could have my Twitter/Facebook feed update in real time. Manually refreshing kind of seems like it ruins the point of having that page.

concerning gmail, I had issues too, but I changed it to exchance account with m.google.com as server name and it works much now.

Haint

Dumb question time guys. I have 2 internal HDD's. If I clean install Win 8 on my primary drive, will I still have access to all the files on the secondary drive or is 8 going to force me to format it. I recall when I first installed it, Win 7 didn't recognize it and I had to create and format it in Disk Managements.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I installed Windows Media Center yesterday but it didn't work yet today it froze while restarting and it installed WMC just like that. However, there is no more add feature option under Search -> Settings anymore. Is this normal?

I could see using that mobile browser app just for NeoGAF.

Theoretically, Valve or someone else could make a game launcher for Steam available. You don't have to sell games through it so MS doesn't get a cut of Valve's money but it would be cool to have a proper Big Screen Mode launcher in Metro.

I have the Steam Icon on the Start Screen launch into BSM but it feels disjointed.

Thinking about making some custom ROM tiles. Would be sweet I think. I have the next two days off work, and with the storm and everything I'll probably stay indoors.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Is there an Oblytile sample source somewhere?

Where I can see templates, or sizes etc.

Or can someone just tell me how big each tile is (I think small is 30x30)

itsgreen

Dumb question time guys. I have 2 internal HDD's. If I clean install Win 8 on my primary drive, will I still have access to all the files on the secondary drive or is 8 going to force me to format it. I recall when I first installed it, Win 7 didn't recognize it and I had to create and format it in Disk Managements.

There is no such thing is a dumb question ;)

But Windows 8 isn't going to force you to format another drive...

I have an SSD (Win 8 fresh install), two HDD's and an RAID Array and both HDD's and the RAID Array retained all their data...

Is there an Oblytile sample source somewhere?

Where I can see templates, or sizes etc.

Or can someone just tell me how big each tile is (I think small is 30x30)

I use 800 x 800 for the big ones, but that is overkill... (Going much bigger results in it not being displayed, I tried 1200 x 1200 and it failed)

Mangotron

I was using it to FB chat last night, it also blows on dual monitor setups because every time you click a link it minimizes the app regardless of what screen it's on. Most of my bitches about W8 so far have to do with lame multi-monitor usage.

Lucifon

Very surprised there's not an official Twitter metro app. Having Tweetro snapped to the side of the screen whilst I use my PC normally is pure bliss.

Lucifon

Does Tweetro auto-refresh or would I have to do it manually?

It does indeed, just snap it to the side and click on your timeline. It's constantly refresh - awesome stuff!

It seems abit late to notify you about mentions though, even though they show in the feed and all my mobile devices light up with notifications, it seems to be minutes before a notification pops up - not a biggie, but could use a patch.

Are most of your Windows Vista/7 games and apps work for you guys under Win 8?

No issues whatsoever so far.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Have you tried Maya in Win8? Does it work well? I want to upgrade but I Maya is unstable enough as it is...

Maya works great. I can only think of a couple of things that didn't work for me and nothing major.

sca2511

Different snapped views

Full screen view (if you really want it)

You've also got the option to change the user agent to something else if you want.

So would anybody be interested in this? It'd be a free app of course. I just thought I'd get some opinions before developing this further.

Looks spiffy, I'd use it.

I'm trying to clean install windows 8, but now I get this error. Does this mean I can't install Windows 8 at all?

WP_000219.jpg

Is the 100MB partition shown in the image the only one you see? I'm assuming no because that's usually a system reserved partition created automatically by the install.

Check your BIOS, it may have created a UEFI version of your DVD/CD drive. It may be booting from that, which would give you that error as the hard-disk would have to be converted to GPT format.

Top Bottom