• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm noticing a lot of apps don't have device contracts (case in point: The Wikipedia App doesn't have a print contract. I have to load up the page in IE to print) which shows poor design but I'm hoping this will get fixed as developers understand that there's a hybrid OS out there that has these advanced features that'll give more value to their apps ;)

I don't print anything so I haven't been checking printing, but every single application I review, I make a note of whether or not it can appropriately share, whether or not it can appropriately print, whether or not the side-pin function makes any sense at all, whether or not the most logical use of the Live Tile was given some thought (I wouldn't care if Wikipedia has a good live tile or not, but if a Todo application doesn't that's a gigantic failure), etc. Devs need to be reminded that if they're not going to follow all the guidelines for Metro applications, then they might as well not be building Metro applications.

MCD

LOL... they know you downloaded it all from Bearshare :p

SkyDrive is pretty much setup for this... someone just needs to make a slick frontend app that allows for storing index information on the cloud and you have a cloud/streaming media hub. I get excited thinking about the different possibilities for apps built on some of these services. I can't wait!

The default apps need major work STAT.

STEVEN SINFOSKY GIVE ME MY UPDATES.

Here's what I did. I'm currently deployed and can't download the ISO (actually can't download anything over 5MB, our net sucks that bad). Before I left I downloaded the RTM, and I ran the upgrade assistant up to the point where you get your key emailed to you.

Then I installed it using the ISO that I had and it worked perfectly fine.

I'll give this a shot.

Thanks!

linkboy

what is the point of windows.old? if I delete it using disk cleanup will I lose applications and/or personal files/settings?

It's essentially your previous Windows install. It's there so you can access things from your previous install that didn't carry over.

Removing it won't cause you to lose any applications or personal files, but you won't be able to access your previous Windows install anymore.

MrBig

I'm surprised about the overall positive reactions in here. Can we make an OT on the gaming side, to balance this?

Yes, it has amazed me. alexandros has you covered, I'm sure he'll be making sensationalist topics about w8 in gaming until w9 is released.

derExperte

I'm surprised about the overall positive reactions in here. Can we make an OT on the gaming side, to balance this?

It helps that people here are actually using the OS instead of making weekly threads about developers hating W8 and fearing hypothetical dark times ahead.

SeanR1221

Eh, I cant tell if coming from Mountain Lion its a step down or Im just out of my comfort zone.

Haven't decided yet. Verdict is still out on if I'll keep this laptop or just go big and get a base MacBook pro.

surly

Banned
I just installed the Media Center pack and after it rebooted, when I go to the desktop now it says "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center Build 9200" in the bottom right-hand corner. How do I get rid of that??

Just installed Windows 8. Everything went smoothly, but every time I click an app it has start up screen with the icon and then it just closes. I can't get into any of them. I can start programs just fine, though.

Just finished installing myself and im having the EXACT same problem....any ideas?

SOLVED!

I disabled Avast real time shields. Booted up right away. (all metro apps now open)

Windows isn't letting me delete my Windows.old folder. A popup window asks states, "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder." I click continue (has a shield icon next to it). A few seconds later it says, "You need permission to perform this action, You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder." I have the options of trying again, skipping, or canceling. I'm administrator and I have UAC turned off. Any advice?

PG2G

Windows isn't letting me delete my Windows.old folder. A popup window asks states, "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder." I click continue (has a shield icon next to it). A few seconds later it says, "You need permission to perform this action, You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder." I have the options of trying again, skipping, or canceling. I'm administrator and I have UAC turned off. Any advice?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-remove-the-Windows-old-folder

derFeef

I think the Disk Cleaner handles that without any issues.

kinggroin

Banned
Microsoft needs to get its shit together regarding Live! integration and live for windows games.

I'd love to see future live titles work natively under the games section in windows 8. Having steam launch the desktop live for windows app to launch Dark Souls when we already have all that built in in metro, is silly.

Reminds me of the frustrating decentralized communication situation in Android.

Did the Windows update last night, and my mail crashes seem to be fixed. Make sure to update Windows, guys!

My apps all started updating as well too. MS said that Windows 8 is more optimized for none-restarting system updates but this being the launch weekend, I wonder if they were just slammed?

I need to look at the update history I suppose.

Hmm, can I not use my Microsoft Points balance for purchases?

I was going to grab the Counterfeit Machine in Jetpack Joyride but it wants my credit card.

atomsk

Party Pooper
actual install went pretty well, digging the multi-monitor support, slowly but surely reinstalling like 70-ish things (did a fresh install)

Avira needs to get shit together.

and for some reason Reader/Video/Bing/Maps get stuck updating

actual install went pretty well, digging the multi-monitor support, slowly but surely reinstalling like 70-ish things (did a fresh install)

Avira needs to get shit together.

and for some reason Reader/Video/Bing/Maps get stuck updating

Have you tried to update the apps recently? They all finally went through for me this morning after some desktop installs, restart (and sleep :p).

No MS points, and from the grape vine we've heard there soon won't be on Xbox either.
Ugh. Boo.

All the articles I see (as recent as this month) on this say dollars is the new default but points can still be used, I just can't figure out how to go about it.

I guess I'll just put my payment info in and see where that takes me.

PG2G

Microsoft needs to get its shit together regarding Live! integration and live for windows games.

I'd love to see future live titles work natively under the games section in windows 8. Having steam launch the desktop live for windows app to launch Dark Souls when we already have all that built in in metro, is silly.

Reminds me of the frustrating decentralized communication situation in Android.

Doubt we'll see anything like that happen until big games become Microsoft store apps instead of desktop apps.

I don't print anything so I haven't been checking printing, but every single application I review, I make a note of whether or not it can appropriately share, whether or not it can appropriately print, whether or not the side-pin function makes any sense at all, whether or not the most logical use of the Live Tile was given some thought (I wouldn't care if Wikipedia has a good live tile or not, but if a Todo application doesn't that's a gigantic failure), etc. Devs need to be reminded that if they're not going to follow all the guidelines for Metro applications, then they might as well not be building Metro applications.

Will you actively be posting reviews in Jzero's app thread?

@Jzero:
Will you provide a templete in the OP about how to post user reviews (that could take into consideration points Stumpokapow mentions)?

gcubed

so... i cant play any of my mp3s in xbox music, it loads up and errors out saying te format isnt supported... its mp3. really souring on MS's metro apps that are not quite useless but close

Top Bottom