• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

strata8

I have the Acer V5 with touch screen.

By mouse I meant track pad. I still cant find it. Why when I type track pad into the control panel search does nothing come up? I just want the two finger scrolling to be reversed.

I figured out the Live thing, its because my time settings were off.

I was then able to update my apps, but it still wont show me the apps being updated/it crashes.

Is the operating seriously this buggy? I mean, I should just be able to see the apps that are installing and their progress.

The trackpad is a 'mouse' device, so its settings are under the mouse settings.

Have you installed any Windows updates? There was a big 160MB update that fixed a lot of performance issues and bugs. I've never used Windows 8 without checking for updates first so I wouldn't know exactly what it fixed.

Just installed Windows 8. Everything went smoothly, but every time I click an app it has start up screen with the icon and then it just closes. I can't get into any of them. I can start programs just fine, though.

Just finished installing myself and im having the EXACT same problem....any ideas?

Any ideas guys? Only app that works for me are bing maps...

Grrr I am having problems enabling File History, one of the features I really want to use.

Turning File History on for my destination drive I get this:
Could not enable File History: The service could not be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Then after closing that error message it indicates above the drive I selected as the destination:

File history doesn't recognize this drive

If I try to select another drive, then select the same destination I get this:

We can't copy files to this location: Filed to complete migration to T:\ (error 80040301)

I even manually started the service in Windows services, looked online to see if anyone else has this problem, but no luck. My destination drive is an unBitlockered external drive and my source drive is a Bitlockered drive.

Halp!

ari

Banned
EDIT: ok, so there is a desktop on windows 8? Exactly why I don't bother with early RT users by asking them what they think. just gonna be bias and the typical crap like "stay with windows 7 because the desktop is broken"...now that its out, I want to know the experience..is it worth the upgrade?

Dunlop

Is there any way to re-download Windows 8 from the Microsoft website?

For some reason my Windows 8 download that was sat on my desktop has vanished. I have already purchased it, so I have the key ready to go in my email inbox. Just need to get the actual download file again.

Edit: Found it. If anyone else has this issue - the email with your product key has a link that lets you re-download the setup.exe.

I have the exact same issue, but my e-mail with the product key has only the option to order a physical backup. Any way you could PM me the link?

edit: nvm figured it out

Enco

Is everyone making use of custom tiles? Any site to share these? Is obly tile the best?

I'm pumped to add some for games.

Can you pin a website and set a custom tile? Would be brilliant.

Need a NeoGAF tile.

Is everyone making use of custom tiles? Any site to share these?

Need a NeoGAF tile.

For a website. I would imagine you could create a link in the desktop to "neogaf.com" and then use the tile to launch that link. It must be possible.

Edit: Just did it and it worked. I now have a NeoGAF Icon that launches into Chrome. Creates a new tab directly to GAF!

apple-touch-icon.png

I used that image which I assume was created by ckohler for MobileGAF.

kinggroin

Banned
Anyone know of a way to use the 360 controller to control start metro?

Edit: Ugh... the Netflix app won't stream in full HD. That makes it unusable on my projector setup.

Quick question, if I buy the download upgrade, is it something I can redownload later should the need arise (like a new drive clean/resintall situation)?

Or should I spring the extra cake and get a full DVD option?

SeanR1221

Ok, so far things are much smoother after the update. But for the life of me I cant figure out how to change the scroll on my track pad. I want it reversed.

MrBig

Is everyone making use of custom tiles? Any site to share these? Is obly tile the best?

Need a NeoGAF tile.

oblytile works great

paste a website url into the program path field and it will open up in the default browser.

I made some tiles

iwKDHynwWr7kD.png
ic9k83T1eaAmD.png

iSCmyeFl2BF9v.png
ibh9iJMeIVfIRT.png

ibvfUJXN43IXjl.png
iSEB19ur6ZPLb.png

ibfPTtWaDacFQZ.png
iGqhSpwwrExOu.png

iNa12fl0zpJVA.png
iblDRLrBxAF100.png

ibuAFkIKpxBrCA.png
iLVyoeGSuVNxv.png

Quick question, if I buy the download upgrade, is it something I can redownload later should the need arise (like a new drive clean/resintall situation)?

Or should I spring the extra cake and get a full DVD option?

You're buying a license with the upgrade offer. You can use any w8 pro x64 iso and the license will be applied to it

Dunlop

fawk my kid figured out how to use Xbox Music on the start screen and my house has become and endless loop of Gangnam Style

linkboy

Do the retail keys work with the RTM. The reason why I'm asking is because I just bought the $15 upgrade, but I can't download the image due to the shitty network I've got (it's better than nothing though).

However, I do have an ISO of the RTM that I downloaded before I left the states just for a situation like this.

I don't want to wipe my computer if its not going to work though.

I guess if it really comes down to it, I can try it in a virtual machine.

strata8

Ok, so far things are much smoother after the update. But for the life of me I cant figure out how to change the scroll on my track pad. I want it reversed.

Mine's Synaptics so it's probably different for you, but this was the process:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse > Device Settings > Settings... > Scrolling (click on it) > Enable reverse scrolling direction

SeanR1221

Ah I found it. Slightly different settings than what you were saying, but I got it.

Hm, now I feel more comfortable buying the coin double in JetPack Joyride.

I thought Cut the Rope was Live enabled?

Enco

For a website. I would imagine you could create a link in the desktop to "neogaf.com" and then use the tile to launch that link. It must be possible.

Edit: Just did it and it worked. I now have a NeoGAF Icon that launches into Chrome. Creates a new tab directly to GAF!

http://m.neogaf.com/themes/Default/images/apple-touch-icon.png[/IMG ]

I used that image which I assume was created by ckohler for MobileGAF.[/QUOTE]

[quote="MrBig, post: 43690583"]oblytile works great

paste a website url into the program path field and it will open up in the default browser.

I made some tiles

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iwKDHynwWr7kD.png[/ IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibvfUJXN43IXjl.png[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iNa12fl0zpJVA.png[/ IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibuAFkIKpxBrCA.png[/IMG ]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iSCmyeFl2BF9v.png[/IMG ]

You're buying a license with the upgrade offer. You can use any w8 pro x64 iso and the license will be applied to it[/QUOTE]
Thanks guys.

Do you not need two differently sizes?

MCD

No way to share files with Messenger app? Kinda sux as a full replacement for Live Messenger but at least it isn't bloaty.

dude

dude
Man those are really good!

Any chance you can make icons for after effects, premiere. autodesk maya and luxology modo? I will be grateful forever all icons I try to make look like shit :(
Have you tried Maya in Win8? Does it work well? I want to upgrade but I Maya is unstable enough as it is...

anyone else have any trouble with their TV tuner? I presume I just have to wait for new drivers. my Hauppage USB ATSC/QAM tuner shows up as properly installed, but Media Center doesn't work with. the tuner service crashes whenever I try to configure it. I just wonder if there were any known workarounds in the interim.

Are any of you guys struggling with the search not picking up things?? First Teamspeak wasn't showing, now if I type 'origin' in the search there's 0 listings in Apps. It's seriously useless...
Apps only show in search if you let it create start menu icons when installing. If you chose to not to, they won't appear in the results...

GuessWho

apple-touch-icon.png

I used that image which I assume was created by ckohler for MobileGAF.

Cool, but how exactly do I "install"l it? oh lord lol

linkboy

Is there somewhere I can buy Windows 8 Pro upgrade and get the .iso ? I would much prefer that to this upgrade assistant.

Here's what I did. I'm currently deployed and can't download the ISO (actually can't download anything over 5MB, our net sucks that bad). Before I left I downloaded the RTM, and I ran the upgrade assistant up to the point where you get your key emailed to you.

Then I installed it using the ISO that I had and it worked perfectly fine.

Hmm..can't share my own music via Xbox music app because they are not from the store.

Silly MS.

LOL... they know you downloaded it all from Bearshare :p

SkyDrive is pretty much setup for this... someone just needs to make a slick frontend app that allows for storing index information on the cloud and you have a cloud/streaming media hub. I get excited thinking about the different possibilities for apps built on some of these services. I can't wait!

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Hey folks, how are you taking screenshots of your Start Screen? I can only seem to do so of my desktop (Print Screen or ALT+Print Screen). Thanks.

Top Bottom