• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

MCD

Don't have access to a 360. :/

Well, try to have access to one because it will remedy your problem instantly.

And folks, watch this gif in your IE10:

iG2a4SjdVssT2.gif

Smoothest shit ever.

Jzero

Should i post the Windows 8 Store |OT| now and update it every once in a while when new apps come out and so we're able to review and talk about apps or wait until there are a lot more apps to post it?

Jburton

Banned
I have said it already but Windows 8 fucking sweet.

Xbox Music streaming is really good, love snapping apps to the sides of the screen and IE10 is a really solid browser.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have said it already but Windows 8 fucking sweet.

Xbox Music streaming is really good, love snapping apps to the sides of the screen and IE10 is a really solid browser.

I love Xbox Music on W8 on my phone and my Xbox. I like having Smartglass snapped to the side playing my music on my Xbox. Free Xbox Music is great, but I think the pass is definitely worth it.

Jburton

Banned
Should i post the Windows 8 Store |OT| now and update it every once in a while when new apps come out and so we're able to review and talk about apps or wait until there are a lot more apps to post it?

Hold back buddy, just an invite for the trolls.

Lucifon

I hear you guys speaking about Xbox music but myn hasn't worked since I got Windows 8 yesterday. Anyone else getting this error in the UK?

11e66b9322986120ce0c2d9fbce969a1d5ffab04.png

Any ideas?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
build is in a few days, might as well wait after that.

Lynn616

Great feature is that you can not only pin apps but you can on many apps pin parts of the app.

Here I have pinned just the Sports section of USA Today. Also, from Bing Sports I have pinned the NBA section, NFL section and a more specific Denver Broncos section.

7kDWA.png

Troll

Banned
I hear you guys speaking about Xbox music but myn hasn't worked since I got Windows 8 yesterday. Anyone else getting this error in the UK?

Any ideas?

Go to Xbox Music > Settings Charm > Account > Xbox Music Pass. What does it say under your pass?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Great feature is that you can not only pin apps but you can on many apps pin parts of the app.

Here I have pinned just the Sports section of USA Today. Also, from Bing Sports I have pinned the NBA section, NFL section and a more specific Denver Broncos section.

7kDWA.png

Yeah that's pretty sweet. Also feature of Windows Phones that I really appreciate.

f0lken

Wait, the quality of most apps its still mediocre so the thread will most likely be how much we like the skype app =/

strata8

Better name might be 'Windows Store |OT|' or 'Windows Apps Thread'.

Any ideas?

Do you use Raptr? I was having this issue till I disabled it, having it run in the task bar messes up a bunch of metro apps.

There are other programs that will mess with metro aps as well if they're not fully Windows 8 compatible.

Quick

Banned
Windows 8 Store |OT| Hype for Skype.

I'm still trying to get a feel for a Windows 8 Tiles thread for creative folks who want to make Windows 8 tiles.

Ashes

Banned
select browser screen allows you install; but how exactly do you select a browser?

anyone?

I wanted the browser choice screen to go away, as I already have 4 browsers installed from when I had win 7.

But I installed chrome again from the browser choice window. Now I have two chromes installed or what? And I still only see one option in that browser choice: choose later.

edit: Groan. Eu commission thing. :/
http://windows.microsoft.com/browser-choice

Esiquio

Yeah I tried this but they keep asking me for my serial what brand did you try?

United States and HP. Also, be sure to get the Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

All you need is an e-mail address, nothing else, and they'll send you a key. It will be $10 next year.

IE 10 is actually really nice. I have zero compulsion to run out and download Firefox or Chrome just yet.

BTW, everyone be sure to download Office 2013 Preview for free:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en/try-office-preview

It's slick, really slick. Only used PowerPoint, Word and Outlook so far. Buttery smooth, even with my meager 2GB of RAM :p

So it looks like I can't change my XBL email to my new, @outlook.com address, due to the account.live.com site not being updated to add the @outlook.com domain to their whitelist or whatever.
So, I can't use my Microsoft account with the music, game and video apps until they fix it. :(

Pretty much in the same boat as you. When you sign up, it just asks for your email. It should say, please enter a @live or @hotmail address. Also, changing your email address after creating an account is -- as far as I can tell -- impossible.

Frankly, I think Windows 8 is a joke on desktops. I'm a pretty strong windows supporter and I was excited for 8, but I think that this is a piece of shit. Nothing is intuitive, the behavior of apps/windows/etc is bizarre, and I'm hamstrung by an account frustration.

So I created another user account with my hotmail ... but for some reason, the default tiles on this is.. like 3 tiles "file manager," "Desktop," and "IE10." And I can't put the Chrome for WIndows 8 tile on there... Where as, when I logged in the first time with my (now regrettable) gmail account, it had a ton of presets and great stuff, plus a working Chrome for Windows 8 tile.

-Edit

God damnit I am so frustrated with this.

So I created another account, with a new @Live... but now... when I log into that, again, just like 3 or 4 tiles, and NOTHING launches. If I go to launch the Store, it launches with the green store screen, and then just crashes back to the tiles view. IE10 won't even launch... I click it and it doesn't do anything. I seriously don't know why the fuck this is so fucked up for me, and I am so frustrated by it.

Lucifon

Go to Xbox Music > Settings Charm > Account > Xbox Music Pass. What does it say under your pass?

Ahhhh is it for Gold only? I have the option to buy a pass but no Free. Just remembered my Gold membership ran out a few days ago. Barely turn on my consoles now... Plan on chucking a few months of Gold on once Halo 4 hits.

SlickVic

I'm liking the Start screen, though I'm finding the thing I'm missing most from the old Start Menu is it automatically generating a list of my most used programs. Not sure if there's a way to add that to a corner of the W8 Start screen.

Only other thing I miss is having a "Show Desktop" icon right next to where the Start Menu was (i.e. the button that minimizes all your windows to show the desktop). I found out how to get the button back following this, but there doesn't seem to be a way to move it to the left side of the task bar and just stays stuck on the right.

Ashes

Banned
I'm liking the Start screen, though I'm finding the thing I'm missing most from the old Start Menu is it automatically generating a list of my most used programs. Not sure if there's a way to add that to a corner of the W8 Start screen.

Only other thing I miss is having a "Show Desktop" icon right next to where the Start Menu was (i.e. the button that minimizes all your windows to show the desktop). I found out how to get the button back following this, but there doesn't seem to be a way to move it to the left side of the task bar and just stays stuck on the right.

Doesn't the start screen already do this on the right hand side?

SPDIF

You can always just click the bottom right corner, just like Windows 7.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

It's still there, try clicking on the bottom right corner ;)

EDIT: Beaten

Awesome. ZBrush/Topogun work as well? Anything else I should know as an animator before I update?
I'm really itching for some Metro action.

Yep yep, all that stuff works fine. I've been using all those programs since the consumer preview and everything has been peachy.

Ahhhh is it for Gold only? I have the option to buy a pass but no Free. Just remembered my Gold membership ran out a few days ago. Barely turn on my consoles now... Plan on chucking a few months of Gold on once Halo 4 hits.

Not sure where you are at but if you are in "support" country, just click on SmartDJ and it will just start streaming whatever genre of music you are listening to.

Firehead

Well, try to have access to one because it will remedy your problem instantly.

And folks, watch this gif in your IE10:

iG2a4SjdVssT2.gif

Smoothest shit ever.

Is that seriously the only way to change my XBL account's email to one using @outlook.com? Has anyone here so before, successfully? x_x

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
New app I just found on the store, really cool stuff:

Toolbox For Windows 8

Will let you do split tasks in various configurations of up to 6 separate windows, including having 6 websites up one 1 screen. Seems like it would be great for people using the Surface if there is an RT version.

SlickVic

I actually didn't use much of W7 so didn't realize they changed the location of the icon? I remember in Vista and before I just had the Show Desktop icon on the left right next to the Start menu. Just feels a bit weird to have it on the right now and was curious if I could move it, but I guess I can get used to it if that isn't possible.

Thanks for the replies.

Doesn't the start screen already do this on the right hand side?

Does it? I did a clean install of Windows 8 (don't have many programs installed yet) so wasn't sure if it was just listing every installed program on the right hand side. If it's just the most frequently used ones then that's definitely helpful. Thanks.

Haint

Be careful as sometime an OS will not install on certain drives because the bios won't allow them to be bootable (typically because of which controller or port they're connected to) even though it lets you format and partition them.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm assuming the installer will prompt me to choose the drive/partition to install on?

Sleeping Dogs crashes for me whenever I try loading a previous game. I've tried different compatibility modes, but nothing. I'm installing the 12.11 AMD drivers now to see if that could be it.

Created another user account because my first one is borked, but there are no apps to choose from and I can't launch any apps on that one...

Jesus christ

Zabka

I actually didn't use much of W7 so didn't realize they changed the location of the icon? I remember in Vista and before I just had the Show Desktop icon on the left right next to the Start menu. Just feels a bit weird to have it on the right now and was curious if I could move it, but I guess I can get used to it if that isn't possible.
They stuck it there so you can just slam the cursor to the bottom right and hit it quickly, similar to the Start menu and X button.

StudioTan

Created another user account because my first one is borked, but there are no apps to choose from and I can't launch any apps on that one...

Jesus christ

I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with your installation because other people aren't having all these issues.

Top Bottom