• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Haklong

So it looks like I can't change my XBL email to my new, @outlook.com address, due to the account.live.com site not being updated to add the @outlook.com domain to their whitelist or whatever.
So, I can't use my Microsoft account with the music, game and video apps until they fix it. :(

Maybe I missed it but did you try going to outlook.com with your current live id. After signing in go to the settings icon and click on more email settings. From here go to rename email address on the left.

Edit: or maybe I didn't read that right and you are trying to combine them?

Dunlop

Punishment for the unwholesome things you're about to do.

He closed the incognito window, so punishment for what has been done :p

(I have issues trying to open chrome from the start menu when I have it open at the desktop, don't think it has been greatly tested in win8)

Tim-E

The battery notification icon is not showing up in the taskbar. I go to turn it on in the taskbar settings and it is the only option that is grayed out that won't let me change it.

Any ideas?

celebi23

Oh, I got the email with the Windows Media Center code. So, they're finally going out. Troll, have you received the email from IEEE yet?

I installed Windows Media Center, and now I have "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center Build 9200" in the bottom right corner. I've tried restarting and it's still there.

Sanic

Alright, i'm gonna take the plunge and install Win 8. I've head people have been having issues doing an upgrade, which I plan on doing, as opposed to a clean install. Anything I should look out for or can do to prevent problems? It feels kind of silly to ask such a question with a modern windows install, but i've seen enough reports that I have to ask.

Lastly, should I end up having issues and want to do a restore back to windows 7, with my programs and data intact, how would I go about doing that?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Now that I have spent the day messing around and customizing everything I am really liking Win8. I can see your everyday person hating it though just because of the lack of the proper start button. I can't imagine installing it on someone like my mom's computer :p

Alright, i'm gonna take the plunge and install Win 8. I've head people have been having issues doing an upgrade, which I plan on doing, as opposed to a clean install. Anything I should look out for or can do to prevent problems? It feels kind of silly to ask such a question with a modern windows install, but i've seen enough reports that I have to ask.

Lastly, should I end up having issues and want to do a restore back to windows 7, with my programs and data intact, how would I go about doing that?

My install would error out at the very end until I uninstalled AVG. The error didn't give any info so it was a bit frustrating trying to figure out why it would not go through.

Firehead

Maybe I missed it but did you try going to outlook.com with your current live id. After signing in go to the settings icon and click on more email settings. From here go to rename email address on the left.

Edit: or maybe I didn't read that right and you are trying to combine them?

Yeah, I'm trying to change out the email that's being used with my XBL account with my new @outlook.com email. Whenever I try to change it on the account.live.com site, it states that I can't use @outlook.com in my email address.

Just wanna be able to keep my same gamertag. x_x

Lynn616

Is that a bing app?? I must have this!

It is just called Sports in the app store. It is powered by Bing. When in the snapped view it goes to the scores. At the top it has a drop down menu that you can use to quickly switch to different sports.

Like so.

pXTiu.png

Switching back and forth to check scores without having to move away from the browser is nice.

strata8

Does anyone else use YoutubeRT instead of YouTube+? The UI feels a lot nicer.

Neither of them are that great. Like a lot of apps on the marketplace, they do some things perfectly but manage to monumentally screw up other sections. Eg, the Youtube RT search page and video player - what the fuck?

Zizbuka

Banned
Well, for all the people who responded to my question about dual booting with the Win 8 upgrade, it works.

I couldn't get the upgrade to work, installing over Win 7, so I chose the "make a boot disc" option. I opened up some unallocated space, booted off the disc and voila. I now have a dual boot between Win 7 and Win 8, and both work fine.

IE10 runs those gifs so much better than chrome. : / IE's font looks so blurry in comparison though.

You can barely see it, but the IE text looks off.
I actually prefer the text in IE10 compared to Chrome.
Anyway to see battery life and time on the start screen?

Go to one of the corners on the right side of your screen with you mouse and move up/down to show the charms. The time, battery, and network will appear on the screen.

MCD

Anyway to see battery life and time on the start screen?

There is an app for time called Time Tile.

I just messed with PowerDVD Mobile trial. It can play MKVs (no codec pack whatsoever) but some limitations:

No multiple voice and subtitle option and it cannot play 10bit h.264 mkvs.

Crosspost from the Surface thread, but I think most of this could apply to any RT touchscreen PC. These are some of my impressions after using the Surface for a day or so:

• Touch cover is taking some getting used to, I can actually type faster on the on screen keyboard. I'm used to typing on the iPad and the on screen keyboard here seems better. I type quite fast on screen, probably at 90% my normal typing speed, so no issues there. Will have to practice with the touch cover.

• One awesome thing I noticed was that keyboard shortcuts like copy and paste work on the on screen keyboard as it has a control key right next to the space bar. VERY handy. I love this so much. The keyboard sound is the same dynamic tapping sounds from Windows Phone, which I love and find much easier on the ears compared to the static iPad keyboard sound. Small detail, but really nice, nonetheless.

• I played around with the built in options for the keyboard, too: full screen like iPad, thumb keyboard, where its split, and then one that converts ink into text. The ink input works flawlessly, considering how abysmal my handwriting is, it just would not screw it up. I could see myself using that a lot actually, even with a capacitive stylus with how responsive the screen is (I use a jot pro). Very excited to test it out on the Surface Pro.

• Surprised at the lack of an official Facebook app, but as a Windows Phone user, the People and Messaging hubs are more than adequate for my needs, and quite beautiful, too.

• I opted for the 32GB model, with the touch cover as I ordered a 64GB microsd card last week. We will see how nicely that plays with the device. I'm left with about 25GB of usable space out of the 32GB, which I imagine is due to the way the data is measured, as well as swap and windows/office installed. After installing some apps, etc, I'm down to about 16GB of storage, so that sd card can't come soon enough.

• Being able to plug in USB devices is really freaking cool. My laser printer worked no problem. Same with a wireless mouse. I'm a student in IT, so I always carry around a lot of gadgets in my bag, one of them being an external hard drive, so my data space needs are quelled by that handy little port.

• SkyDrive integration throughout the OS is a godsend. I'm a fairly heavy SkyDrive and Office user, as well, so having 2013 included is a really sweet deal. Make sure you update from the preview version that ships with the device to the final version, though, as it improves performance and touch elements considerably.

• Side note: I accidentally pressed the back button in the browser and thought I lost all this, but it saved it within the text input field. Nice one.
All in all I'm quite pleased with the device. The hardware, like most of the reviews say, is definitely at least on par with iPad, if not better - or different as they say. I've owned the first three generation iPads, and this device just seems so much better in all the little places, which is quite nice, indeed. Obviously the software selection is a little low right now, but that will most definitely increase over time. This is Windows after all. That said, there are already more useful tablet apps for my day to day use than on my Nexus 7. Android is already trailing this new platform in that regard, in my opinion, and its only been out for two days.

Very pleased with this device. Still on the fence about selling this in January to put towards the Surface pro, as all my x86 needs are dealt with via RDP. We will see.

--

Edit: Additional thoughts:
  • Metro, or Modern, is fucking beautiful. I've been a Windows Phone user for almost 2 years now, and damn does this interface work well on a tablet. The gestures take a little getting used to, but once you get the idea of it, it makes the traditional iOS/Android interfaces seem downright dated. I've been using Windows 8 RTM via MSDNAA since early September on my desktop, so I'm already fairly familiar with a lot about the OS, which I suppose helps (and makes RDP kick ass).

• I'm excited to see how this will play with Windows Phone in the future. I own a 7.5 device, so as of right now I can only charge the device, as the Zune desktop client doesn't run on RT. I have heard that Microsoft will be releasing a WP8 app in the near future, though, perhaps we will find out on Monday during their press conference.

• IE 10 is really awesome, and really fast (even with flash!) though I wish other browsers were allowed in the Store. I like tab syncing from Chrome.

• One thing I love about IE is the flip ahead feature, where, on a multi page site like neogaf or reddit, it allows you to "drag" the page to the left in order to advance to the next page rather than having to tap the small next link that is often at the bottom. Same goes for going back to the last page, just swipe it to the right. Very slick.

• As far as I can tell, tabs also load in the background, which I don't remember my iPad doing.

• I like that pressing the capacitive home button makes the Surface vibrate. I also like that it wakes the device, too. So many devices with capacitive buttons require use of the power button exclusively to wake the screen.

• I forgot to mention the battery. It seems as good as my iPad, maybe a bit less. I got around 9 and half hours of fairly heavy usage from 100%. It then took 1 hour, 48 minutes to charge from dead to 100. That's a lot faster than my iPad, which took over 4 and half hours to fully charge.

• Multiple users is nice, however as far as I can tell, your apps are tied to one account, so you'll have to buy them again for each account. Hopefully that is changed in the future, especially with the higher price of RT apps compared to their iOS counterparts.

• As far as the screen is concerned, it looks considerably better than other screens of this resolution, but not as sharp as the iPads. I will say, though, the colours and contrast seem better on this screen than on the iPad.

sca2511

The battery notification icon is not showing up in the taskbar. I go to turn it on in the taskbar settings and it is the only option that is grayed out that won't let me change it.

Any ideas?
Are you using an Acer laptop? I also have that issue and have to go to device manager then scan for new hardware for it to appear after every reboot. Supposedly it's an Acer driver issue.

Gaspode_T

For those parents out there I set up a child account "family safety account" for my son on the tablet I have here and it works pretty well, sets all filters to high, etc...the only creepy thing is I have started to get "usage reports" automatically to the e-mail of the parent account! I didn't even ask for that and he is not even really using it. Pretty huge because on our iPad all my games and his educational apps have to live side by side. Accounts are something that are hard to solve from both OS and services level, by hard I mean VERY VERY hard...they open up security issues, policy issues, coding issues, etc.

Haklong

Yeah, I'm trying to change out the email that's being used with my XBL account with my new @outlook.com email. Whenever I try to change it on the account.live.com site, it states that I can't use @outlook.com in my email address.

Just wanna be able to keep my same gamertag. x_x

I had the same issue. Instead of updating my game tag email like I posted earlier I just created a new outlook.com email to deserve my game tag. I also didn't want to reset my windows phone since doing this would force me to reset the phone. So when I finally tried to combine them it turns out that you couldn't. I just gave up and created a new email address for my live account using the method I posted earlier.

strata8

[*]Multiple users is nice, however as far as I can tell, your apps are tied to one account, so you'll have to buy them again for each account. Hopefully that is changed in the future, especially with the higher price of RT apps compared to their iOS counterparts.

You can change accounts in the store settings IIRC. Haven't tried it yet though, so not sure if it actually works. This means two people on the same tablet can use the same account for purchasing apps but have separate accounts for everything else.

edit: It works!! It also remembers your original account so you can switch back to it with a single click.

kinggroin

Banned
Shit almighty does the app situation need time to cook. I really want to spend the majority of my time in metro mode, but fuck if the apps aren't doing everything in their power to prevent that.

You can change accounts in the store settings IIRC. Haven't tried it yet though, so not sure if it actually works. This means two people on the same tablet can use the same account for purchasing apps but have separate accounts for everything else.

Yes, a user on Reddit let me know about that. Unfortunately, though, you have to re-download the app, which makes it take up that much more space, but you can use all your apps on more than one account on the device!

My wireless Xbox headset is transmitting garbled audio through the earpiece. Anyone know of a fix? I can't seem to find any information via my Google-fu.

strata8

Yes, a user on Reddit let me know about that. Unfortunately, though, you have to re-download the app, which makes it take up that much more space, but you can use all your apps on more than one account on the device!

Apps are actually user independent and are stored in Program Files, so it only keeps two versions if one user hasn't updated yet =). I'd hazard a guess and say that when it's 'downloading' it's only checking whether the downloaded version is newer than the app already on the device.

Apps are actually user independent and are stored in Program Files, so it only keeps two versions if one user hasn't updated yet =). I'd hazard a guess and say that when it's 'downloading' it's only checking whether the downloaded version is newer than the app already on the device.

Wow. This is really turning out to be the first PC I've loved almost through and through.

SPDIF

my single biggest reason to skip RT.

I need a more fully-featured and safer web browser than IE.

Not to take the discussion too far off topic but I have to say that IE10 is far from unsafe. Like I said in a previous post, ever since IE9, Internet Explorer has improved dramatically. The fact that it blocks more malware than any other browser is proof of that.

Not to mention its 'Enhanced Protected Mode' that is actually now more advanced than Chrome's sandbox.

It's a shame that due to MS neglecting it all those years that it seemingly now has an unshakable reputation as an unsecure browser.

Well there you go, a bit of a coincidence there. It talks a little about the new sandbox in that article

So, just asking (since I'm abt. to get Win 8 here).

About the Windows 8 upgrade offer, it doesn't seem to be as simple for me. Since I did the reg, entered a key, and got rejected.

I suppose it doesn't work since I got this a while ago...?

Totakeke

[*]One thing I love about IE is the flip ahead feature, where, on a multi page site like neogaf or reddit, it allows you to "drag" the page to the left in order to advance to the next page rather than having to tap the small next link that is often at the bottom. Same goes for going back to the last page, just swipe it to the right. Very slick.

That sounds like a godsend, definitely want that to come to WP8.

Tim-E

Are you using an Acer laptop? I also have that issue and have to go to device manager then scan for new hardware for it to appear after every reboot. Supposedly it's an Acer driver issue.

Yes I am. I'll look further into it. Thank you!

Edit:

Scanning for new hardware worked. Let's hope it stays. Thanks!

surly

Banned
One of the laptops I installed Windows 8 on is a Sony Vaio. When I open the charms bar, it says "unavailable" for the brightness so I'm stuck on max brightness. There are some function keys on the keyboard that are supposed to alter the brightness, but they do nothing. I Googled it and found various guides to getting it working - all involving installing about half a dozen Sony drivers/apps in a particular order (Sony fucking SUCK at writing software) - but no go.

Anyone had a similar issue and fixed it?

strata8

Wow, this is great. Any idea of how resource-intensive it is?

RAM is fine, but pretty horrific on the CPU side. Used 30% of my i5 when scrolling through an app and even then it doesn't perform that well - maybe around 25 fps. It's really obvious that everything is running inside a program rather than the operating system.

One of the laptops I installed Windows 8 on is a Sony Vaio. When I open the charms bar, it says "unavailable" for the brightness so I'm stuck on max brightness. There are some function keys on the keyboard that are supposed to alter the brightness, but they do nothing. I Googled it and found various guides to getting it working - all involving installing about half a dozen Sony drivers/apps in a particular order (Sony fucking SUCK at writing software) - but no go.

Probably the graphics card drivers.

coldfoot

Banned
Win8 is awesome but AMD and Sony are both extremely shitty companies. Their switchable GPU does not work in Windows 8 despite installing the drivers from their site. I have moved to better pastures with the Macbook Air, but I will NEVER buy the following for the rest of my life:

1. Hardware and Software from different vendors. OS should be NOTHING more than firmware.
2. Any computer with multiple GPU's.

So if MS made a decent laptop themselves and matched the Apple touchpad, I'd consider them, but as things stand, that's a big no-no.

Shit I was about to install it on a vaio, now imscared

Top Bottom