• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

It is just called Sports in the app store. It is powered by Bing. When in the snapped view it goes to the scores. At the top it has a drop down menu that you can use to quickly switch to different sports.

Like so.

pXTiu.png

Switching back and forth to check scores without having to move away from the browser is nice.

Thank you!

So, I wanted to ask again:

Am I out of luck on the Windows Upgrade Offer page if I'm asked to enter a product key? I want to make sure, because $15 would be pretty nice.

SPDIF

Win8 is awesome but AMD and Sony are both extremely shitty companies. Their switchable GPU does not work in Windows 8 despite installing the drivers from their site. I have moved to better pastures with the Macbook Air, but I will NEVER buy the following for the rest of my life:

1. Hardware and Software from different vendors. OS should be NOTHING more than firmware.
2. Any computer with multiple GPU's.

So if MS made a decent laptop themselves and matched the Apple touchpad, I'd consider them, but as things stand, that's a big no-no.

No interest in the Surface Pro?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Am I out of luck on the Windows Upgrade Offer page if I'm asked to enter a product key? I want to make sure, because $15 would be pretty nice.

Try a different browser. I read some people were asked for their key on Firefox but not on IE.

Mangotron

You shouldn't be asked for a key at all until you're installing it.

Step 1

After you fill that out, you get an email with a code in it.

Then check out with the upgrader it links to in the email and put the code in when there's a promo code box on the screen.

Try a different browser. I read some people were asked for their key on Firefox but not on IE.
Got the e-mail :D :D :D

For reference, I'm using the site from New York, tried first several times using Chrome (asks for key), then switched to IE (same), then to Firefox (which did go straight to the comfirmation).

Hmm hmm hmm, time to upgrade, thanks :)

Firehead

I had the same issue. Instead of updating my game tag email like I posted earlier I just created a new outlook.com email to deserve my game tag. I also didn't want to reset my windows phone since doing this would force me to reset the phone. So when I finally tried to combine them it turns out that you couldn't. I just gave up and created a new email address for my live account using the method I posted earlier.

Can't seem to find the method you posted earlier. Mind linking it, please?

Edit:
Does it allow you to use new @outlook.com emails on old XBL accounts?

Bullza2o

Win8 is awesome but AMD and Sony are both extremely shitty companies. Their switchable GPU does not work in Windows 8 despite installing the drivers from their site. I have moved to better pastures with the Macbook Air, but I will NEVER buy the following for the rest of my life:

1. Hardware and Software from different vendors. OS should be NOTHING more than firmware.
2. Any computer with multiple GPU's.

So if MS made a decent laptop themselves and matched the Apple touchpad, I'd consider them, but as things stand, that's a big no-no.

I had the same issue. HP laptop here with switchable Radeon 5470/Intel HD 1000 graphics. I used leshcat's drivers and now able to use my AMD GPU.

And I agree with those two things. I'll just get one with good discrete graphics.

coldfoot

Banned
No interest in the Surface Pro?
After waiting for a decent e-mail client on Windows for a few years, I've had it and went with Apple. I could not wait until next year to take a gamble whether Outlook fixed its flaws with Office 13.

Also, as someone who already finds tablets of iPad size and weight uncomfortable, a Surface Pro would be useless for me as a tablet. A Microsoft branded ultra book would have a better chance if Outlook 13 also turns out to be not garbage.

Gritesh

I am sure this has already been covered, but I just got home from vacation and upgraded tonight.

How do I change the tiles icons in the start menu, some of them look really bad?

I read through this thread a bit and found Oblytile which seems to work great, not to find a collective of user made tiles!

xJavonta

Banned
I was having issues with Steam and Windows 8, so I had to go back to Windows 7 :(

Also, after about an hour of use, my computer would just stop operating. Maybe it's because I never updated to the Windows 8 drivers for my GPU but has anyone else had this problem? I really want to go back to Windows 8.

Edit: Also used Windows 8 on a Sony Vaio touchscreen laptop today and it felt so damn good. I gotta have one now.

Mangotron

So I've tried (I think) all of the start menu replacers.

Start8 is really the best one, and probably worth the $4.50. It's exactly the start menu from 7 and it has translucency. It also has a link to the new start menu at the top, which I think is a nice touch. Classic Shell works ok but the item list is weird, Pokki is too bloated.

Startisback might be good once it's been around longer, I have my taskbar set to auto-hide and the start menu disconnects from the toolbar when you're looking through it and makes it hard to close.

anyone have a list of all the free games with achievements?

i have minesweeper. mahjong, solitaire, jetpack joyride, taptiles, and wordament

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
anyone have a list of all the free games with achievements?

i have minesweeper. mahjong, solitaire, jetpack joyride, taptiles, and wordament

You're missing Adera.

But if you want to list all the Windows 8 games with achievements:
Games App -> Windows Games Store section
And then just manually browse to see what costs money and what doesn't. Pinball FX2 is nominally free but charges per-pinball table so it's not really free.

Or you can go to an achievements site to get a list:
http://www.trueachievements.com/games.aspx
(Platform: Windows 8, ignore "Unreleased" status games)

Haklong

Can't seem to find the method you posted earlier. Mind linking it, please?

Edit:
Does it allow you to use new @outlook.com emails on old XBL accounts?

Yes it does. It worked for me at least. Go to outlook.com and login with your xbox live user/password. Once in go to the settings icon and hit "more mail settings". In here go to the left and click on "Rename your email address". You can change it to an outlook.com email address. Be sure to read the warning at the top to see if any of that pertains to you.

Gritesh

I have another question,

I currently have a 60gig SSD that I was using as my OS drive.

However with Windows 8 is there a way I can make it so all the apps that I get from now and into the future can be installed to my 1tb HDD instead? I am running out of room on this SSD and I have like 800 gigs of space left on my secondary drive that's just sitting there.

Mangotron

I have another question,

I currently have a 60gig SSD that I was using as my OS drive.

However with Windows 8 is there a way I can make it so all the apps that I get from now and into the future can be installed to my 1tb HDD instead? I am running out of room on this SSD and I have like 800 gigs of space left on my secondary drive that's just sitting there.

This might help, found it after a quick google.

Here is what I did. I must warn that I haven't had any issues on my own machine doing this, but you might, so proceed with caution. Also, it's always a good idea to create a restore point before starting.
1. Create a folder on your other drive that you want the applications to install to. I used the same location on my system, only on the other drive.
2. Now open up regedit, and go to this location.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx
3. Now right click on the "Appx" folder, and go to "Permissions"
4. Click "Advanced", and click "Change" at the top to change the owner.
5. Type in "Administrators" for the owner, and click ok, then ok again.
6. This should take you back to the regular permissions window. From here make sure "Administrators" or your user name have "Full Control", and click ok.
7. Now double click on "PackageRoot", This should bring up the String Editor.
8. Change the "Value Data" to the new folder you created, and hit ok, and close the registry editor.
9. Lately, give your machine a reboot, and you should be all set.

VALIS

Thinking of upgrading tonight, two questions:

How long does it take? Just wondering if I should set aside 15 minutes or an hour or two.

Anyone have a lot of games installed and if so, were they all fine after the upgrade? My Steam says I currently have 112 games installed, and at least 20 of those are older DOS/95/98/XP games that were kind of a bitch to get working on 7 and I'd hate to have to do it again (System Shock 2, AoE2, etc.).

Thinking of upgrading tonight, two questions:

How long does it take? Just wondering if I should set aside 15 minutes or an hour or two.

Anyone have a lot of games installed and if so, were they all fine after the upgrade? My Steam says I currently have 112 games installed, and at least 20 of those are older DOS/95/98/XP games that were kind of a bitch to get working on 7 and I'd hate to have to do it again (System Shock 2, AoE2, etc.).

It just going to copy everything over. I've been playing DS2 with 0 issues thus far.

I don't think Windows 8 has drivers for my HTC HD7 phone :(

It has the drivers for my Lumia 900 but the software doesn't see it. I guess it's for Windows Phone 8 only?!?!

As far as I can tell, this seems to be for Windows Phone 8 only. That seriously sucks, as I was hoping my Lumia would be able to sync with my Surface RT. I can only charge it.

Then again, I don't even remember the last time I synced my phone to my PC, so perhaps I'm making issue out of nothing. I use Xbox music, so I don't really need to be able to transfer things over, and for the tracks that I own that aren't in there, I think SkyDrive will support .mp3 soon enough.

Still, it is disappointing that WP7 users got shafted like this with respect to Windows RT.

I really feel like upgrading, but I want to install on a solid state drive this time. What's a minimum amount of space I would need for Windows 8? And does it handle SSDs better than Windows 7?

Firehead

Yes it does. It worked for me at least. Go to outlook.com and login with your xbox live user/password. Once in go to the settings icon and hit "more mail settings". In here go to the left and click on "Rename your email address". You can change it to an outlook.com email address. Be sure to read the warning at the top to see if any of that pertains to you.

Ah, no way to use a current outlook.com email? x_x

Man

When can we expect SP1 for this? I don't know of any flaws per say but I'm upgrading in January once I'm done with a current project on Win7.

Haklong

Ah, no way to use a current outlook.com email? x_x

Nope; I made the mistake of "reserving" my gamertag email and then later tried to merge it. So far MS doesn't have a way of letting you do this. I just created a new one that goes along with my real name instead of my gamertag. Not a big deal really. But this is the only way I know of that will let you upgrade your current live ID (even if your live id is with a none MS email) to a outlook.com one.

Gritesh

This might help, found it after a quick google.

Just wanted to confirm that this advice did indeed work for me

I tried it by installing jetpack joyride and confirming it was installed to my other HDD

However the game has no sound? Sound is confirmed to be working but I get no audio in the game.

strata8

As far as I can tell, this seems to be for Windows Phone 8 only. That seriously sucks, as I was hoping my Lumia would be able to sync with my Surface RT. I can only charge it.

Then again, I don't even remember the last time I synced my phone to my PC, so perhaps I'm making issue out of nothing. I use Xbox music, so I don't really need to be able to transfer things over, and for the tracks that I own that aren't in there, I think SkyDrive will support .mp3 soon enough.

Still, it is disappointing that WP7 users got shafted like this with respect to Windows RT.

It's possible (probable) that it will sync with devices updated to 7.8.

sca2511

For those with battery issues and are on an Acer TimelineX 3830/4830/5830 T/G. There is an updated 1.12 bios that fixes that problem. I don't know if it fixes the sleep problem, but I'll be flashing it right now and will check it out. The bios isn't posted up on Acer's support site yet, got the download link from the notebookreview forums.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/14tp9u

kaskade

Wow, I like that it'll auto pick the color of the UI based on the wallpaper. I just switched to a more fall like orange dominated wallpaper and it made everything orange. Very cool.

Walshicus

The entry "Microsoft Surface - Windows RT" has in three days taken 0.5% of the share of my site's Tablet traffic (approx. 80 of 16k yesterday). This might be pretty big. Tied with Nexus 7 for second place.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
The entry "Microsoft Surface - Windows RT" has in three days taken 0.5% of the share of my site's Tablet traffic (approx. 80 of 16k yesterday). This might be pretty big. Tied with Nexus 7 for second place.

what site is this?

The weather app is telling me that the current condition for my town is "Severe dust storm". That must be a first for Central Scotland. o_O

Top Bottom