• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

ksdixon

I 'think' I heard somewhere that there won't be a FB chat app (MS even removed it from the Xbox360 recently) on Win8, as MS are trying to get people to use IE to access FB on the 360/Win8? Not sure if that's correct though.

ElNino

You can download it.
Any idea how to download it after the fact? I did the upgrade assistant while in my old Vista 32-bit (which I am installing over) rather than my Windows 7 64-bit OS (which is staying as dual boot).

Of course, now that I've already paid and received my product key and ISO I now have the 32-bit version only. Is there any way to download the 64-bit version and use my product key to activate that?

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
I've been running Win 8 in bootcamp since it went RTM and simply love it. After finally being able to play with gestures in person this past friday, I picked up one of the Logitech T620's during lunch today.

Anyone have any initial impressions of it so far?

Jzero

Any idea how to download it after the fact? I did the upgrade assistant while in my old Vista 32-bit (which I am installing over) rather than my Windows 7 64-bit OS (which is staying as dual boot).

Of course, now that I've already paid and received my product key and ISO I now have the 32-bit version only. Is there any way to download the 64-bit version and use my product key to activate that?
Some people here have said that the 32 bit key also works for activating 64 bit windows.

Aesthet1c

I'm looking at upgrading to this later tonight, but my main concern is my dual monitor and multi audio device setup. Currently I have my main screen monitor and a TV hooked up to my computer. My TV is for every day use and for my wife and kids to watch shows on. I have windows media player and Internet explorer default to the TV for sound, and everything else goes to my pc speakers. This way my wife can watch Netflix while I play a game or browse the Internet. I've read a little bit about metro causing issues with multiple monitors.

Anyone with a similar setup that can inform me I this functionality would still work on Win 8?

Thanks!

SeanR1221

Can someone do me a favor?

Is Shark Dash in the app store?

I bought it (it says Acer exclusive) but it won't activate Live. I'm wondering if the Live portion isn't activated until it's available for everyone, so I just want to see if it really is only for people on Acer computers for now.

Karram

I got a couple of queations, firstly, how can I set an account to use the local data, the initial account had all the settings I had from W7, I created a new account using another email and all the settings are gone.

Aner question is how can I make programs icons like steam, diablo, Origin have bigger icons ?

Jzero

Can someone do me a favor?

Is Shark Dash in the app store?

I bought it (it says Acer exclusive) but it won't activate Live. I'm wondering if the Live portion isn't activated until it's available for everyone, so I just want to see if it really is only for people on Acer computers for now.
Nothing appears for me.

For anyone who upgraded to Windows 8 from 7 and is running via Bootcamp, I have a question. If I want to upgrade to 8, can I just run the the Windows 8 upgrade assistant in Windows 7, or do I need to uninstall Windows 7 and start fresh and run Bootcamp assistant?

Mr. Hyde

The main quirk for me, so far, about Windows 8 is the behavior of google chrome. I will usually start off with the start screen version of chrome but end up on the desktop version which doesn't sync up properly and has its own tabs to open. It's so confusing at times.

surly

Banned
The main quirk for me, so far, about Windows 8 is the behavior of google chrome. I will usually start off with the start screen version of chrome but end up on the desktop version which doesn't sync up properly and has its own tabs to open. It's so confusing at times.
Can you not just unpin the "Metro" version and replace it with a shortcut to the desktop version?

Pagusas

Elden Member
here is a weird question, I'm considering getting 2 new monitors, and I can get 2 touch screen 27" monitors for a decent price. Will Windows 8 recognize TWO touch interfaces and work correctly as a dual monitor, dual touch system?

Or is that a complete waste of money and the mouse/keyboard fine for windows 8?

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
For anyone who upgraded to Windows 8 from 7 and is running via Bootcamp, I have a question. If I want to upgrade to 8, can I just run the the Windows 8 upgrade assistant in Windows 7, or do I need to uninstall Windows 7 and start fresh and run Bootcamp assistant?

I ran the upgrade assistant in Windows 7. No need to do a fresh install.

Lynn616

Windows 8 demand outpaces Windows 7.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/29/ballmer-windows-8-demand-outpacing-7

"We're seeing preliminary demand well above where we were with Windows 7, which is gratifying," Ballmer said at an event launching new Windows phones.

Windows 7 is the best-selling version of Windows so far, selling more than 670 million licenses in three years since release in 2009.

"Over the weekend we saw an incredible response around the globe to Windows 8 and the Microsoft Surface," said Ballmer.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
I hear you guys speaking about Xbox music but myn hasn't worked since I got Windows 8 yesterday. Anyone else getting this error in the UK?

11e66b9322986120ce0c2d9fbce969a1d5ffab04.png

Any ideas?

I can load the app and it signs me in without a problem. Did a search and played some music okay.

Nero3000

oh shit!

Tip for Metro IE10: If you have a mouse with a forward button, if you press that button it will take you to the next page on sites like GAF, forums and multipage articles.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

dk_

Zoom out of your start screen with Ctrl+Scroll and right click a section. There's an option on the bottom to name it. You can also zoom out with the minus arrow on the bottom right.

Genius.

How can I change the Metro background?

Edit: Got it!

LTWheels

Can anyone inform me if Office 2000 will work on 8? If it runs on 7 it should still work on 8 right? I would hate to upgrade then find I need to spend more money getting a new office licence.

I used "Shell:MyComputerFolder" and the file path to the calculator to make metro tiles for each. Every time I click them an error stating "so and so not found" pops up along with file explorer or the calc. How do I fix this?

I'd love all of those game icons. They look amazing.

xJavonta

Banned
How big is the downloadable version of Windows 8? I want to do a clean install but I only have a 4GB Thumbdrive.

Also, has anyone had any problems with Steam?

Quick

Banned
Thanks!

Additionally, I've made a small 30x30 version, but when I zoom out the icon disappears. Is that normal?

I find that it takes a moment for it to appear. Happened to me, too.

I just use the same sized icon for the 30x30 field. Works just fine.

MrBig

Welp, this is eating up a lot of time

iApzgV82hcTV0.jpg

Novice here ... if I upgrade to 8 will I need to redownload Firefox, I don't wanna lose my hundreds of bookmarks.

Show all bookmarks > Import and Backup > Backup

Then import it. If you're just doing an in place upgrade it should all be retained though.

Top Bottom