• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

True, didn't even realize that at first :)

If that thing was made by Lenovo as a Thinkpad Tablet (with a nicer design like the Thinkpad Tablet 2), that would absolutely be the one to get. I have some serious concerns about current Ultrabooks and tablets where you can't replace the battery (the battery in my current Macbook broke after 3 years and I replaced it with a 50$ alternative) and can't get more than 4 GB RAM. Unfortunately no one is even trying. Except Kupa of all companies...

Yeah, if that was from a more well known company i would be all over it... But i'm still keeping my eye on that one :p

But unfortunately there's already something i don't like in it: On the dock they swapped the ctrl and Fn keys... I hate that XD

Here's a picture showing a bit of the modularity:

kupa_01.jpg

Apparently, one of the possible modules is a scanner... Wonder how that will work XD

-----

On another note, remember that project fiona tablet? After 10k facebook likes Razer decided to actually make and sell the tablet. They are now asking which CPU/GPU combo consumers want:

http://www.zdnet.com/razer-will-pro...ming-tablet-crowdsource-its-specs-7000005547/

tino

Banned
I think I am going to pick Lenovo 10" or HP 10" base on price. Reason: the 10 inch ones are nore portable and I need a more reliable tablet than the Acer.

I think other than the surface pro the sony duo 11 definitely looks the best, but god knows what sony will price that at. Unless price is already out and I missed it.

Ok my budget is €800, and these are contestants for my buy:

Samsung Ativ Smart PC/Slate 5: (this is basically also for Asus 810, and Lenovo Tablet 2)
+ Design
+ Pen
+ Good Dock
- Atom (Could be a deal breaker)
- Price in relation to Power

Acer W700:
+ Power
+ 1080p Screen
+ Price (€699 including dock and keyboard, i3)
- No Pen (Not that important, but would be cool to have)
- No keyboard-dock. Could deal with the thing they offer
- Acer

Surface Pro:
+ Build Quality and Design
+ 1080p Screen
+ Power
+ Clever Touchcover and Fan design
+ Pen
- Only 10" Screen
- NO FUCKING PRICE ANNOUNCED. Will probably exceed my budget
- Stand not optimal solution

If Pro is €800 i'd go for that. Otherwise I am really conflicted. I really dont need much power, but I cant live without an occasional game of TF2 or something, so the Atoms might be instant out, even if the pure specs surpass the minimum requirements for that game, but I am not really sure if that still works out.
Asus Transformer Book is also interesting, but I expect that to be >1000, just like the Sony Duo 11.

giga

$499 doesn't seem on the expensive side for an x86 tablet with 2GB RAM and 32GB storage.
We shouldn't hold x86 to a higher price standard anymore. Clover Trail is an SoC and has a similar component cost to regular ARM chips. It's not a traditional x86 atom processor.

That said, I'm fine with that price. What does concern me is that because it's x86, 2GB and 32GB doesn't cut it for the regular desktop experience. Reminds me of netbooks.

We shouldn't hold x86 to a higher price standard anymore. Clover Trail is an SoC and has a similar component cost to regular ARM chips. It's not a traditional x86 atom processor.

That said, I'm fine with that price. What does concern me is that because it's x86, 2GB and 32GB doesn't cut it for the regular desktop experience. Reminds me of netbooks.

But they are Netbooks without a keyboard. 32 GB of storage isn't that bad, considering that you can use MicroSD cards. 2 GB of RAM is the only thing that bugs me. That, and the Atom processor. My brother has an older Netbook and that shit is downright awful.

tino

Banned

Its still more expensive than a Tegra3 soc. intel has a monopoly on x86 soc, they can price it at what they can get away with. plus its better than tegra's 40nm fab right?

giga

Its still more expensive than a Tegra3 soc. intel has a monopoly on x86 soc, they can price it at what they can get away with. plus its better than tegra's 40nm fab right?
32nm hkmg, so it definitely shouldn't cost them that much. But if Intel is price gouging…then more reason for us not to hold them to a higher price standard. $500 for a 32GB clover trail sounds about right though, so I'm not complaining.

But they are Netbooks without a keyboard. 32 GB of storage isn't that bad, considering that you can use MicroSD cards. 2 GB of RAM is the only thing that bugs me. That, and the Atom processor. My brother has an older Netbook and that shit is downright awful.
Yeah, I mean, the specs are fine if you're in metro. But otherwise, don't expect much performance if you plan to use it as a regular computer a lot.

popeutlal

Clover Trail is nothing like the previous Atom processor at all, it's much more capable than previous versions and any ARM SOC.

And with Windows 8 32 gb is just too low, I posted this on previous page:

" The disk space will be hard to manage with these 32gb models, Win 8 itself takes about 20 gigs after the install. And then there's the 'winsxs' issue, this folder keeps growing as you install applications and never shrinks. Currently it's taking up 8.18 gb on my Win 7 system.

So eventually over time the internally memory will completely be gone."

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Clover Trail is nothing like the previous Atom processor at all, it's much more capable than previous versions and any ARM SOC.

And with Windows 8 32 gb is just too low, I posted this on previous page:

" The disk space will be hard to manage with these 32gb models, Win 8 itself takes about 20 gigs after the install. And then there's the 'winsxs' issue, this folder keeps growing as you install applications and never shrinks. Currently it's taking up 8.18 gb on my Win 7 system.

So eventually over time the internally memory will completely be gone."

Where are you reading this is an issue on Windows 8?
I'm trying to find info about it that isn't about window 7 or vista

popeutlal

You can check for yourself if you have Win 8 installed, go into Windows folder, you see a 'winsxs' folder with 5+ gigs on a fresh install. When you install applications this folder will grow, when you uninstall applications, this folder will never shrink. Both Win 7 and Win 8 (not RT) display the same behavior.

This was put my MS to get rid of the famous "DLL hell".

Which 3rd party tablet is most similar to Surface Pro? Also, is SP the best one of them all?

Surface Pro is a great package, but only has a 10,x" screen and no real dock, only the kickstand. For me it would be the optimum machine, but if you want a dock and an 11.6 inch screen you might want to check out the transformer book or samsung series 7 slate /ativ pc pro

anyways, the comparison chart in the OT is fantastic

Haint

So are any IVB i3/5 Pro tablets coming out this year? Any prices announced for them? It's impossible to follow this shit, previews almost never mention whether any given model is RT or Pro.

popeutlal

On Acer W510

I have been playing around with the W510 for a week now and I can attest to the stellar battery life. I have been using it on and off and still haven’t had to reach for the charger in the box. The 0.35-inch thick tablet itself is very light at 1.2 pounds. Acer has typically been known for its poor build quality, but the tablet, which is made of a mix of plastic and metal, feels solid, at least for the $499 starting price. The screen is very responsive, but the pre-production unit we have been playing with has exhibited some performance issues.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technol...ws-8-tablet-with-keyboard-coming-in-november/

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man I am so torn on the Surface Pro. It is by far the best looking of these tablets, but its keyboard is designed in such a way that you can't actually use it in your LAP. It only stands up because of the kickstand. That aint gonna fly on my legs or on a pillow. HRMRMMRM

trinest

Price for the Sony Duo 11 (i3/128SSD version ) is announced, $1100.

I'm scared what the Australian price will be for at least the i5 model or i7 :|.

The Duo 11 is the only thing I'm interested in, everything else looks like crap or has downfalls which turn me off. Someone get me interested in something cheaper please.

I wouldn't have these issues if I didn't need a computer right now, but my laptops on its last legs, it works, but it runs at like 60 - 80 :| and things inside it have been replaced previously.

Plus the Surface Pro. Why can't it be this year dam it. Bloody Microsoft.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Man I am so torn on the Surface Pro. It is by far the best looking of these tablets, but its keyboard is designed in such a way that you can't actually use it in your LAP. It only stands up because of the kickstand. That aint gonna fly on my legs or on a pillow. HRMRMMRM
yep i am in the same situation. i will probably end up getting one of these atom based hybrid PCs. The only thing that worries me is the 64GBs. Wish the Atom SoC supported more. I think performance will be fine though. Dual core, 1.8 ghz with a ssd should be good enough to do all of your tasks outside of gaming etc...

the lenovo lynx is looking really nice right now.

maeh2k

This one is mainly interesting for those who speak German: http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Dell-XPS-12-Convertible.82282.0.html

It's a quite thorough review of a pre-production version of the Dell XPS 12.

Prices are comparable to existing Ultrabooks like the Zenbook Prime. Costs 100 Euros more, but for that you get a convertible. They say it's well-built. Keyboard, touchpad, and touchscreen are good. The 1080p IPS display is bright and offers a high contrast. Only 54% of sRGB, though. It's rather quiet. 5 to 6 hours battery life for normal use.

I think 12.5" is a pretty good size and the form factor seems way nicer than I expected. I thought this turning-the-display-in-a-frame thing would surely be the dumbest possible way to approach this, but it's really not bad at all.

Asus' RT tablet up for preorder http://www.staples.com/Asus-TF600T-B1-GR-101-32GB-Tablet-Pre-Sale/product_477677

It's $600, so don't even bother clicking the link. For the folks who bought their Android tablet, you know to stay away from Asus tablets.

Serious question...what's wrong with the ASUS tablets? I never purchased one but their laptops are great as are their monitors. Is this an Android fragmentation issue we are talking about here because I don't think Win8 will have that issue.

Serious question...what's wrong with the ASUS tablets? I never purchased one but their laptops are great as are their monitors. Is this an Android fragmentation issue we are talking about here because I don't think Win8 will have that issue.

The Android transformers had many build quality issues.

popeutlal

Asus so far has released 4 Android tablets (excluding Nexus 7), all of them have serious quality issues. Their exterior looks great but the internals are the worst you'll find in any tablet. They use the slowest and cheapest internal memory, bluetooth and Wifi chips are keep crapping, out, the battery life sucks, games keep crashing, and many other issues.

See here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1895128
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1811538
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1597615
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1914720
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1830473
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907698
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1850540
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1443868

Prime refund threads
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1796743
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1863452

Asus' RT tablet up for preorder http://www.staples.com/Asus-TF600T-B1-GR-101-32GB-Tablet-Pre-Sale/product_477677

It's $600, so don't even bother clicking the link. For the folks who bought their Android tablet, you know to stay away from Asus tablets.

This is really underwhelming, why would I buy this tablet when I can get a Transformer Infinity with Android which has more apps than W8 at this point.

I really hope not all Windows RT tablets are this pricy.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
This is really underwhelming, why would I buy this tablet when I can get a Transformer Infinity with Android which has more apps than W8 at this point.

windows RT has no real point other then a foot note to say..see we're covering this area too!

now an x86 tablet has about 1million other existing pieces of software that will work just dandy till the windows store apps get fleshed out.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't understand why the X86 version tablets are so expensive relative to a similar spec laptop. Surely the touchscreen part doesn't add that much to it.

Oxn

I don't understand why the X86 version tablets are so expensive relative to a similar spec laptop. Surely the touchscreen part doesn't add that much to it.

Its a new concept (not really, but sorta) and the pricing will probably go down within a year.

I waiting for it to be in the 800 range.

There are already over 4,000 apps on the Windows Store. Are you sure that Android has that many tablet apps?

tino

Banned
windows RT has no real point other then a foot note to say..see we're covering this area too!

now an x86 tablet has about 1million other existing pieces of software that will work just dandy till the windows store apps get fleshed out.

The thing about the whole RT thing is that MS is trying to create a "synergy" between its successful desktop operating system and its failed mobile operating systems.

Using a successful product to muscle in a new market kind of worked in the business software world (MS office) and the api world (DirectX, C# etc), but I don't remember it has ever worked in the hardware world (too many examples to list). There is also the spectacular bad track records of MS failing all kind of mobile hardware ideas. So its going to be really facisnating to see how will the RT system fare in the real world.

Too bad we don't get month to month sales numbers from NPD.

strata8

1280X800? Thats a surprise. 600 is too expensive though.

The listing must be wrong, because Windows RT tablets have a minimum requirement of 1366x768. It doesn't look 16:10 either judging from the picture.

The thing about the whole RT thing is that MS is trying to create a "synergy" between its successful desktop operating system and its failed mobile operating systems.

Using a successful product to muscle in a new market kind of worked in the business software world (MS office) and the api world (DirectX, C# etc), but I don't remember it has ever worked in the hardware world (too many examples to list). There is also the spectacular bad track records of MS failing all kind of mobile hardware ideas. So its going to be really facisnating to see how will the RT system fare in the real world.

Too bad we don't get month to month sales numbers from NPD.

Eh, I'd say the Windows 8 ecosystem as a whole serves this purpose, not just Windows RT. There's no appreciable difference between the two other than hardware and backwards-compatibility, and the success of either will boost Windows Phone equally.

Top Bottom