• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

are we any closer to getting the final price on the Surface Pro ?

it's a mere 20 days to launch at this point...

pro is launching in January or later. I dont think we will get a price point this month. I hope though.

So many questions, so few answers.

this shit is getting on my nerves, microsoft is like "here is a product you might want, now wait 3 months till you get the next information or buy the competitors product"

I have no idea how chips work, but clover trail is 1.8ghz dual core and the i3 in the w700 is also 1.80ghz dual core. Where do the chips differ besides one being much cooler?

Out Of Order processing, cache speed, cache amount.

There's a lot of differing parts between processors that can dramatically affect performance. Within the same chip family, it could be shared cache or hyperthreading.

popeutlal

Do we know if other RT tablets will even launch on the Win 8 release date or is only Surface launching on that day?

What an odd product release this is.

tino

Banned
Do we know if other RT tablets will even launch on the Win 8 release date or is only Surface launching on that day?

What an odd product release this is.

Both the Samsung ativ tab and Asus Viva pinata tab are announced for AT&T. There is no telling if they will sell a wifi only version.

People buying computers or tablets from wireless carriers sends shivers down my spine.

You are potentially condemning us to a future where tablets and computers are exclusively sold via wireless network providers like smartphones are today. How is this preferential to being able to buy tablets and computers from anywhere and just pop in a SIM card or USB network card that you choose?

The cellular phone industry in America is a disgrace, lets not do anything that extends it's reach out beyond phones. In fact we should be strategizing on how to break our smartphones free from the clutches of these wireless carriers not buying into a system that makes our tablet/computer purchases slaves to their whims and backroom dealing.

It's not like they are sold on contract...

Sometimes they are. They have attempted to sell netbooks and tablets on contract (subsidized). They are attempting to sell these tablets via their shared data plans. It doesn't matter whether you buy it on contract though. Once the OEM sees that you are in the habit of buying the product through a wireless carrier the negotiations begin about securing exclusives and free promotion/marketing via the wireless carrier. Then the OEMs start building in proprietary antennas into each device and making it only compatible with one carrier.

And this is crucial, it's not going to be like the iPad where Apple has so much negotiating power and influence that they make the iPad available for every carrier they want. These Windows and Android OEMs are powerless and will give in to the demands of the wireless carriers for the lure of free promotion. I'm telling you, we do not want this future. Nobody should ever buy a tablet or computer at a wireless store, under any conditions.

This is good. Makes me hopeful that the Asus Vivo Tab prices actually included the dock accessory. $600 for the Asus ARM tablet with dock is a good deal. $800 for the Atom tablet with dock is a pretty good deal. I can live with those prices.

In Germany the Acer W700 will apparently start at 699 Euros. http://www.computerbase.de/news/2012-10/acer-iconia-w700-tablet-ende-oktober-ab-699-euro/
Usually they just use the US price in Euros, so I would have expected 799 Euros.

At 699 it would certainly be more interesting. Would be very close to the Thinkpad Tablet 2, but more powerful and with a 1080p IPS display and USB3. (if only it had pen support, too...)

There's always a catch.

I still don't get why the W700 has no optional hybrid dock.

maeh2k

There's always a catch.

I still don't get why the W700 has no optional hybrid dock.

It's pretty heavy. The keyboard dock would have to be quite heavy/robust, too, and would need a great hinge (wouldn't be cheap). At that point you'd probably be at 2kg+ for an 11.6" Ultrabook-style device.
For home use the actual dock seems quite nice.

Good grief this is all very confusing.

Will any of the upcoming Windows 8 tablets going to have decent pen integration (as in, functional wacom support that will be substantially less laggy than on the Note 10.1) but cost no more than $600ish?

Good grief this is all very confusing.

Will any of the upcoming Windows 8 tablets going to have decent pen integration (as in, functional wacom support that will be substantially less laggy than on the Note 10.1) but cost no more than $600ish?

The Samsung ATIV SmartPC had a keyboard dock and pen.

That works with the Samsung S Pen – just as with the Note II, Samsung has used an active digitizer and a special stylus, which docks into a silo on the side of the slate – for handwritten notes and annotations. Unfortunately that pen wasn’t present in Samsung’s demo unit, but the concept is the same as we’ve seen on the Android phablet, and notes will actually synchronize between the two despite the different platforms.

Detached – something of a struggle on these prototype units, but an aspect Samsung promises will be made easier in retail versions – the slate section supports portrait and landscape orientation use, flipping automatically between the two. There was some lag noticeable in actually using apps, though it’s unclear if that’s down to the Intel Atom processor or the pre-final software.

Still, that processor helps keep runtime so long, which is essential if the ATIV Smart PC is to compete with Apple’s iPad. Samsung is betting that enough users will want to do content creation with their tablet to make the extra bulk worthwhile (and ignore what’s a plasticky and fingerprint-prone casing). Whether that will hold true with a $649 starting price (or from $749 with the keyboard dock) when it lands in the US on October 26 remains to be seen.
http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-ativ-smart-pc-hands-on-29244592/

It's supposed to be the same S Pen from the Note 10.1, but considering that it's running Windows 8, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Now that Atom processor in combination with content creation ...

The Samsung ATIV SmartPC had a keyboard dock and pen.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-ativ-smart-pc-hands-on-29244592/

It's supposed to be the same S Pen from the Note 10.1, but considering that it's running Windows 8, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Now that Atom processor in combination with content creation ...

Hm, yeah, if the Atom processor results in less drawing lag than on the Note 10.1, I'm probably in.

Otherwise, I'll have to hold out for something slightly better, at that price point.

Hm, yeah, if the Atom processor results in less drawing lag than on the Note 10.1, I'm probably in.

Otherwise, I'll have to hold out for something slightly better, at that price point.

I think it will be a big difference in drawing lag. It's processor bound from what I can tell, and even old Atom tablet I used way back felt less laggy than the Note 10.1.

I think it will be a big difference in drawing lag. It's processor bound from what I can tell, and even old Atom tablet I used way back felt less laggy than the Note 10.1.

Alright, that does give me some hope for a reasonable priced pen-tablet.
Btw, has there been any software updates to the Note 10.1 lately which have reduced the drawing lag?

Any idea how it would handle handwriting in Word for example?

Not sure. Ink engine in word is same as one in Journal and Journal feels faster than word sometimes. I'm going by memory and I think Ink was fine in Atom Tablet PCs, but it's been a while since I used one.

ThinkPad Tablet 2 price revealed:
A Lenovo spokesperson has confirmed to TechRadar that the tablet will start at $629 (UK£392, AU$612). That price does not include the keyboard/dock, which the spokesperson said will be available "as an option."

This particular unit ran an Intel Clover Trail processor at 1.8GHz and had several apps running at once with nary a problem.
The tablet (sporting a 10.1-inch IPS display) is set to ship with a full version of Office 2013, while the dock will have an Ethernet port, three USB ports and an HDMI out.
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...ovo-thinkpad-tablet-2-to-start-at-629-1102934

I thought this was running RT? Laptop only in form factor isn't that great. And the addons will only bring the price higher. Seems a bit ridiculous.

dwebo

can only hardware accelerate up to 720p? yeesh, that's embarassing

also, if video playback is their highest system power draw example, I'd love to see how long it could play MW2 at "medium settings and 1,024 x 768". 3-4 hours?

can only hardware accelerate up to 720p? yeesh, that's embarassing

also, if video playback is their highest system power draw example, I'd love to see how long it could play MW2 at "medium settings and 1,024 x 768". 3-4 hours?

Just saw that 720p res...

Again. Damn! Always a catch :(

maeh2k

I think it'll get pretty hard for Windows 8 tablets to compete with Apple and Google.

A Google Nexus 10-inch class tablet is in the works, CNET has learned.

The 10.1-inch tablet will boast a pixel density that is higher than Apple's third-generation iPad, said Richard Shim, an analyst at NPD DisplaySearch.

The 2,560x1,600 display will have a PPI (pixels per inch) of about 299, said Shim. That tops the 264 PPI on the 9.7-inch 2,048x1,536 Retina iPad.
Shim also confirmed that Google will start production on a $99 tablet in December.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57528352-94/google-to-co-brand-10-inch-nexus-tablet-with-samsung/

Google, as always, competing by "giving away their stuff for free". The way things are going there won't be a single Windows 8 device with a resolution that high and there probably won't be many that will be as cheap.

W510 preview:

Wrap-up

Acer Iconia W510 preview as Acer moves into the Windows 8 era, it returns to its netbook roots

Having met with Acer's product team in person (and having read its executives quoted in the press), it's obvious the company is eager to shed its reputation for cheap products and be taken more seriously as an OEM capable of building premium PCs. You can even see glimmers of that in the Iconia W510, with its lovely IPS display and bundled accessories. Ultimately, though, the W510 does a disservice to Acer: with a chintzy build, impotent touchpad and a cramped, netbook-like keyboard, it confirms whatever pre-conceived notions shoppers may have about the brand. And with so many Windows 8 hybrids on the way, including one from Microsoft itself, Acer can't afford to have its products get lost in the mix.

If there's one silver lining, it's this: the W510 performs well. The Clover Trail-based Atom processor inside makes for some zippy performance in Windows 8, and that nine-hour battery is also promising. Though the W510 made a good impression on that front, we'll be curious to see how it fares against the Samsung Series 5 and other hybrids offering similar specs for a similar price. For all we know, the W510 will end up being exceptionally fast and longevous for its class. But you'd have to get past its homely exterior to appreciate it.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/09/acer-iconia-w510-review/

Good tablet with a shitty keyboard dock, that doesn't even have a multitouch trackpad.

More impressions of the dock:

The only real downside of the dock is the hinge, which feels really poorly constructed. On the one hand, it's way too stiff — you can rotate it up to 295 degrees so the dock can double as a viewing stand, but moving the hinge at all takes so much work you'll be sure it's going to break. On the other hand, it doesn't keep the screen very still, so it wobbles every time you touch it. How it's both too strong and not strong enough, I'll never know. On the plus side, the tablet does go in and out of the dock easily, and it won't come out unless you want it to.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/9/3475334/acer-iconia-w510-preview-windows-8

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Looking good. Only concerns are that screen wobble, overall clover trail performance and if a 64 GB is big enough for me.

Top Bottom