• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

tino

Banned
I think I can accept the crappy ass keyboard if you can buy it for 150.

The only other options are Asus Viva tab and Samsung Slate 5.

Engadget made it sound like the keyboard is only bundled with a 64 GB model and not available separately.

tino

Banned
Engadget made it sound like the keyboard is only bundled with a 64 GB model and not available separately.

Well if thats the case I will go Lenovo Tablet 2. There is no additional battery but you should be able to find a 3rd party solution on ebay. Also the Lenovo is 64gb? So its only 30 bux more than the w510. Acer you can do better! I have high expectation of you come Black Friday!

maeh2k

The W510 tablet itself looks nice and well-built. If I wanted to buy one, I'd probably just get the 500$ base model (and a micro SD card) or the 64 GB one without the keyboard dock. The impressions of the dock really aren't that great. Instead I'd use maybe a bluetooth keyboard like that new Microsoft keyboard with the cover than you can use as a tablet stand.
And at home you can use it with keyboard, mouse, external display, as well.

Good impressions on the W510... With a Pen that would be exactly what i'm after XD

Gonna wait for other tablets review, but i like what i heard :p

If you want a pen, you should look for the Samsung Smart PC or Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2.

I'm waiting for reviews on those, as well the Asus Vivo... I'n also waiting for some ivy bridge tablet reviews... If they can put out decent battery life could be a choice too...

The W510 tablet itself looks nice and well-built. If I wanted to buy one, I'd probably just get the 500$ base model (and a micro SD card) or the 64 GB one without the keyboard dock. The impressions of the dock really aren't that great. Instead I'd use maybe a bluetooth keyboard like that new Microsoft keyboard with the cover than you can use as a tablet stand.

Will bluetooth be standard on all W8 tablets?

jonremedy

This is actually a really good idea. I think I'm gonna do the same, thanks for the tip :)

Emily Chu

Banned
Don't know if selling current windows 7 laptop thinkpad t430 and nexus 7 tablet

Both to be replaced by a win 8 full pro os i5 tabby would be a good idea or no?

I would still have a galaxy nexus though and I'm aiming to have the fewest computing devices to simpify.my ECHOSYSTEMS

still waiting for a tablet, pen, and atom processor. Oh and reasonable price

come on its not that hard

What would you consider a reasonable price?

The Thinkpad Tablet 2 is $649 so obviously less than that I presume.

I think the lowest price you will see for an Atom tablet is $499 so I wouldn't expect to see anything below $599 with good pen support.

Given the recent price revelations I doubt Asus is going to try to sell their Atom hybrid with dock for $1,000.

Acer W510: $499
Lenovo Lynx: $599
Lenovo Thinkpad: $649
Asus Vivo Tab: $799???

Only way I could see the Asus costing $800 is if the keyboard dock is included.

I think this design looks really good though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCSzREwZQcw

It's definitely up there with the HP Envy X2 which is my preference, but I don't believe has pen support.

Why would an Asus laptop price more than a Lenovo, and Samsung?
I don't know, but that's what was leaked :p

Given the recent price revelations I doubt Asus is going to try to sell their Atom hybrid with dock for $1,000.

Acer W510: $499
Lenovo Lynx: $599
Lenovo Thinkpad: $649
Asus Vivo Tab: $799???

Only way I could see the Asus costing $800 is if the keyboard dock is included.

I think this design looks really good though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCSzREwZQcw

It's definitely up there with the HP Envy X2 which is my preference, but I don't believe has pen support.
800 for the tablet + dock would be sweet. The Lenovo with dock is 750, right? And that dock doesn't have an internal battery...

PG2G

So, where are my options for non-Apple Windows-based Retina Displays?

Nothing greater than 1080p announced so far. Not sure why, maybe the GPUs in the SoCs are beefy enough? Or maybe they are trying to keep prices in control for launch

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
A whole bunch of Windows 8 ads have leaked.

I don't like them, personally.
love them. I like that they are being direct and showing off the OS. that is what I love about apple ads. Also they don't advertise "Windows 8" in those ads, just windows. Which is something I suspected they would do. They are moving away from version numbers/names and just to windows which will be updated yearly. Probably will have a subscription service like office in the near future. (for consumers and not just for businesses)

maeh2k

Lenovo going big with Windows 8 tablets and convertibles:

Tablets/Hybrids:
Lynx - $599 (11.6" Intel Atom) Keyboard dock - $149
Thinkpad Tablet 2 - $649 (10.1" Intel Atom) w/ pen support

Convertibles:
Yoga 11 - $799 (11.6" ARM Tegra3)
Twist - $849 (12.5" Intel Core)
Yoga 13 - $1,099 (13.3" Intel Core)

I think that's a really decent lineup.

Not sure how I feel about the Lynx yet compared to the Acer. The keyboard dock might be better. The Thinkpad Tablet 2 at 649$ is okay, too. Might be the best Atom tablet. NFC, digitizer, and I believe Windows 8 Pro. I'm guessing that's for 32GB and 100$ more for 64GB, right?

I think the twist is nice and well priced. If only it had a digitizer. The Yoga 13 is competitively priced, as well.

maeh2k

Has anyone ever heard of Kupa? They seem to have a tablet as well and it checks all the right boxes http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/09/hands-on-with-the-kupa-ultranote-a-modular-customizable-tablet-that-makes-windows-8-shine/

The UltraNote is an Intel Ivy Bridge i7, i5 or i3-based Windows 8 device, with a 10.1-inch 1920 x 1200 IPS display. It offers 10 points of multitouch input sensitivity, comes with digitizer pen input with 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity (on par with some pro drawing tablets), ships with 4GB of RAM and is expandable up to 8GB, and offers either 64GB or 128GB of SSD storage. It also weighs only 760g, has a seven-hour battery life, or 12 hours with a docking station accessory, and even boasts a user-swappable battery that Kupa says will be inexpensive to replace.

There’s also a SIM card slot on that list of pleasant surprises, and Kupa CTO Yuan Xie explained in an interview that it will work with a modular handset extension to operate as a real, practical phone. It also has two USB 3.0 slots, an HDMI out, Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and 3G/4G LTE radios, as well as Bluetooth 4.0, RFID and NFC.

So there's a core i7 tablet with a 10" 1080p IPS display, pen, 8 GB RAM, and a replaceable battery.

trinest

To bad its a pretty ugly device.

Been falling back in love with the Sony Duo 11 again. So much new media coming out from Japan of it and seeing videos of it makes it look much better then the pictures.

With the Surface Pro so far away, and my current laptop on its last legs for quite some time, it will most likely be my buy.

SteveWD40

I see the Yoga 13 has different coloured chasis (well silver and orange seen so far), any word on if they will have matte black?

I like the look of that trackpad, lenovo are imho the pest PC brand and I am keen to see what they do with the thinkpad with win8 (not a fan of the twist and turn screen).

One without a touchscreen but with a large, "best in brand" trackpad would be great.

Has anyone ever heard of Kupa? They seem to have a tablet as well and it checks all the right boxes http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/09/hands-on-with-the-kupa-ultranote-a-modular-customizable-tablet-that-makes-windows-8-shine/

So there's a core i7 tablet with a 10" 1080p IPS display, pen, 8 GB RAM, and a replaceable battery.

It sounds great in theory, but there's always a catch with unknown manufacturers like them. The dock looks terrible too, but I wouldn't even be interested in it.

maeh2k

What the fuck are you doing, Lenovo?

The above mentioned Thinkpad Twist, which starts at 849$ in the US starts at 1070 Euros in Germany (with a different configuration, of course). http://www.golem.de/news/thinkpad-twist-leichtes-convertible-ultrabook-mit-7-stunden-laufzeit-1210-95010.html

At first I thought that at around 800 Euros it might be interesting for my sister, who needs a notebook. But at 1070 it's just not an option.

For that price you could also get an entry-level X230i Tablet (which does come with a pen)

I can understand for the hybrids but the regular tablets seem to be on the expensive side. Especially when the market is going to be flooded with sub $300 7inch tablets by the end of the year.

What the fuck are you doing, Lenovo?

The above mentioned Thinkpad Twist, which starts at 849$ in the US starts at 1070 Euros in Germany (with a different configuration, of course). http://www.golem.de/news/thinkpad-twist-leichtes-convertible-ultrabook-mit-7-stunden-laufzeit-1210-95010.html

At first I thought that at around 800 Euros it might be interesting for my sister, who needs a notebook. But at 1070 it's just not an option.

For that price you could also get an entry-level X230i Tablet (which does come with a pen)

The problem with the Twist is that the convertible form factor doesn't make any sense without a pen. If you twist the screen (sorry), then all you get is a big and heavy tablet, without any benefits. Not to mention that the hinge is more fragile, too.

Heck, one could argue that the form factor has been made obsolete by the new hybrids, as some of them come with a pen.

The ThinkPad Tablet 2 really should've been a proper hybrid, with a more high-end version to replace the X-line. I probably would've bought one.

I don't think I will wait for the Surface Pro if it does not come until late January. The goal is to buy a hybrid with the price range between 700 - 1000 during my time in the US (Early December - mid January).

strata8

I can understand for the hybrids but the regular tablets seem to be on the expensive side. Especially when the market is going to be flooded with sub $300 7inch tablets by the end of the year.

$499 doesn't seem on the expensive side for an x86 tablet with 2GB RAM and 32GB storage.

maeh2k

Oh my... All that sounds really good. And also it's 16:10 :p

True, didn't even realize that at first :)

If that thing was made by Lenovo as a Thinkpad Tablet (with a nicer design like the Thinkpad Tablet 2), that would absolutely be the one to get. I have some serious concerns about current Ultrabooks and tablets where you can't replace the battery (the battery in my current Macbook broke after 3 years and I replaced it with a 50$ alternative) and can't get more than 4 GB RAM. Unfortunately no one is even trying. Except Kupa of all companies...

popeutlal

The disk space will be hard to mange with these 32gb models, Win 8 itself takes about 20 gigs after the install. And then there's the 'winsxs' issue, this folder keeps growing as you install applications and never shrinks. Currently it's taking up 8.18 gb on my Win 7 system.

So eventually over time the internally memory will completely be gone.

Top Bottom