• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

LOL. Acer expects us to pay more than the 128GB i5 Macbook Air for this thing? Sounds like a mistake.

edit: Apparently the 128GB i5 model is $1199. Still a really unacceptable premium at 20%, especially since Microsoft and Apple only charge ~10% (eg, the Surface is $500 in the US, $559 in Australia).

Does Acer not do big discount coupons for online orders like Dell/HP/Lenovo do?

Asus Taichi gets a video:

http://microsoft-news.com/asus-taichi-gets-a-video-promo-make-me-love-it-even-more/

This might be my next laptop.

It's really between the Taichi and the Transformer Book for my next laptop. I love how premium the Taichi looks and very convenient transform between tablet and laptop.

I'm sorry, but LOL @ dual screens. But hey...if you like it, love it. I think that's a hot-ass mess.

strata8

Really? I had no idea that all of the atom systems had to have 1366x768. Kinda shitty that is the case :|

They SGX 545 in the Atom chips aren't really powerful enough to drive 1080p. It's the same with the RT tablets. Apart from the Snapdragon S4 Pro, there aren't any SOCs with the GPU grunt needed.

Really? I had no idea that all of the atom systems had to have 1366x768. Kinda shitty that is the case :|

No, they don't necessarily have to have that resolution. But 1366x768 it's a minimum requirement for the Windows 8 hardware certification (unless you're HP, it seems). I'm sure OEMs would put even lower res displays in these devices, if they could.

I'm sorry, but LOL @ dual screens. But hey...if you like it, love it. I think that's a hot-ass mess.

Hot mess? It looks like any other high end ultrabook. It's basically a better MacBook Air. Same size as a MBA, same battery life, same specs, but an improved display and touch.

It's an engineering marvel. 2.7lbs is not bad at all. A MacBook Air is only 2.4lbs and it doesn't even have one 1080p screen let alone two.

How is having 2 screens a hot mess? I rarely ever plan to use the two screens simultaneously, so it just looks like any other ultrabook, except when closed you have the option of actually using the top of the laptop as a touch screen or drawing surface.

1.7GHz Core i5

MacBook Air = 2.4lbs $1,100
Asus Taichi = 2.7lbs $1,300

For $200 you're getting upgraded to 1080p, you're getting a second screen with 10-point touch and pen support. The devices are extremely similar in size. Aside from the Taichi having a better display, and touch/pen support, the specs of the two machines are identical.

HOT MESS????:

techspecs_11_display.jpg
vs.
41FEpd6FZyL._SX300_.jpg

MacBook Air (11" 1366x768)
11.8 x 0.7 x 7.6 inches

Asus Taichi (11" 1920x1080)

12 x 0.6 x 7.8 inches

This is anything but a hot mess. I'm looking at a device that is a much better value than the 11" MBA. Maybe I'm missing something here, but this seems like a much better purchase.

The Taichi is thinner than the Macbook air? That's really impressive.

Here are the dimensions from thinnest to thickest end:

Asus Taichi:
0.2"-0.6"

Apple MacBook Air:
0.11-0.68"

taichi_2.jpg

The point is that they are essentially the same exact machines except the Taichi has a much better screen and tablet/pen functionality built in.

Didn't Asus manufacture Macs for Apple?

^^

Have you consider the Zenbook Pro, its only $850.

Personally, I would go for the Acer S7.

No because you cannot use either as a tablet or with a pen. Reaching across your keyboard to touch the screen is okay for some things, but not useable for all apps.

Something worth considering as well with the Taichi is you don't have to deal with the fingerprints on your screen issue. All the fingerprints from touch screen are on the back of the laptop. So when you're typing and working you don't have to keep wiping the screen.

Hot mess? It looks like any other high end ultrabook. It's basically a better MacBook Air. Same size as a MBA, same battery life, same specs, but an improved display and touch.

It's an engineering marvel. 2.7lbs is not bad at all. A MacBook Air is only 2.4lbs and it doesn't even have one 1080p screen let alone two.

How is having 2 screens a hot mess? I rarely ever plan to use the two screens simultaneously, so it just looks like any other ultrabook, except when closed you have the option of actually using the top of the laptop as a touch screen or drawing surface.

1.7GHz Core i5

For $200 you're getting upgraded to 1080p, you're getting a second screen with 10-point touch and pen support. The devices are extremely similar in size. Aside from the Taichi having a better display, and touch/pen support, the specs of the two machines are identical.

HOT MESS????:

techspecs_11_display.jpg
vs.
41FEpd6FZyL._SX300_.jpg

11.8 x 0.7 x 7.6 inches

12 x 0.6 x 7.8 inches

This is anything but a hot mess. I'm looking at a device that is a much better value than the 11" MBA. Maybe I'm missing something here, but this seems like a much better purchase.

Does Asus have a tablet offering with a normal full-HD screen?

giga

2.7 lb "convertibles" with fans brings me back to 2003. You will be resting that on a table 99% of the time. Just not attractive at all to me.

strata8

2.7 lb "convertibles" with fans brings me back to 2003. You will be resting that on a table 99% of the time. Just not attractive at all to me.

That's the general idea, I think. You can rest it on a table in 'tablet' mode (unlike the Yoga), and the weight is properly balanced when you use it as a laptop (unlike the transformers). Better option than the sliders at least.

1.7GHz Core i5

HOT MESS????:

techspecs_11_display.jpg
vs.
41FEpd6FZyL._SX300_.jpg

11.8 x 0.7 x 7.6 inches

12 x 0.6 x 7.8 inches

was this your attempt to convince me it doesn't look like a hot mess? I don't think you know the criteria I was using when I passed my judgement. as such, your points mean nothing to me. I agree with those points, but it has nothing to do with my objections to the computer.

My objections are rooted in the notion that having a screen ON THE BACK COVER is a good idea. I disagree fundamentally, as that's one of the most abused and neglected parts on a computer. Top lids are the most prone to bump up against shit, get scratched in cases, etc. It increases fragility...and for what? So that a friend can watch the back of your screen? Get the fuck out, Asus! That shit is stupid. Want a decent solution? Look at the Yoga, Dell, or Samsungs. This design is asking for trouble.

That said, if you like it...love on it. It's not my money, so it's not my problem and it doesn't ultimately matter what I think (though you seem to think my opinion matters, given the long diatribe reply). But from my perspective? It's a ridiculous concept that should have never made it out of the R&D concept lab.

Best of luck if you pick it up.

nib95

Banned
Are there any 15" (or near abouts) Macbook Pro esque Windows 8 laplets with the touch screen? After something super well spec'd with an IPS screen (ideally 1080p), decent battery, thin'ish, ssd, decent speakers etc. Any options? The Asus Transformer 14" seems to be the closest thing, but that's more a tablet than it is a laptop.

I still have time to return my MBP Retina, and as much as I enjoy it, if I could get something similar but with touch screen I could flip over to use as a tablet, I really think it'd be advantageous. Though at this point I'm not sure the performance would be nearly on par, but who knows.

My objections are rooted in the notion that having a screen ON THE BACK COVER is a good idea. I disagree fundamentally, as that's one of the most abused and neglected parts on a computer. Top lids are the most prone to bump up against shit, get scratched in cases, etc. It increases fragility...and for what? So that a friend can watch the back of your screen? Get the fuck out, Asus! That shit is stupid. Want a decent solution? Look at the Yoga, Dell, or Samsungs. This design is asking for trouble.

That said, if you like it...love on it. It's not my money, so it's not my problem and it doesn't ultimately matter what I think (though you seem to think my opinion matters, given the long diatribe reply). But from my perspective? It's a ridiculous concept that should have never made it out of the R&D concept lab.

Best of luck if you pick it up.

All the same arguments could be made about a standalone tablet. A MacBook Air lid is probably a thousand times more scratch prone than the Taichi lid.

The screen is exposed on all of my tablets and smartphones and none of them have been damaged or scratched. And a laptop won't have to endure even a fraction of the abuse that my smartphones get. Glass has progressed a lot in recent years, it does not scratch easily. P.S. the Taichi does come with a protective case if you bothered to even watch the video before offering your knee-jerk opinion.

I think this is kind of a silly concern. What the hell are you doing to the top of your $1,300 laptops that you think it would damage this? I'd be more nervous about scratching my aluminum MacBook than I would be the glass on a Taichi.

BTW, on what planet does "hot-ass mess" = I think that might get scratched? You are not using the phrase correctly.

"and for what? So that a friend can watch the back of your screen?"

I would just use the 2nd screen as a tablet or drawing surface on my desk or lap. Maybe once in a blue moon if I wanted to show something to someone without having to turn my laptop around I would use it in dual screen presentation mode.

"It's a ridiculous concept that should have never made it out of the R&D concept lab."

I am so glad that neither Asus nor Samsung agree with you.

Samsung looks to be embracing the Asus Taichi design and pushing it even higher resolution.

Convertibles were not 2.7lbs in 2003. Convertibles I'm pretty sure have never been this thin or light. As someone who used to buy convertible TabletPCs that came with big DVD drives inside, I think I should be aware of this. Laptops used to be a lot heavier and bigger and hotter and louder than ultrabooks.

In fact the Taichi is the lightest of all the convertible PCs announced so far. The Lenovo Yoga which many people think is great weighs 3.4 lbs. The Taichi is also lighter than the Sony Duo (2.9lbs), the MSI Slider (2.9lbs), Toshiba U925 (3.2lbs).

Now that's better. Any word on Sim card slot?

Unless there is a carrier version coming, I don't think the HP Envy X2 has a sim slot.

tino

Banned
Are there any 15" (or near abouts) Macbook Pro esque Windows 8 laplets with the touch screen? After something super well spec'd with an IPS screen (ideally 1080p), decent battery, thin'ish, ssd, decent speakers etc. Any options? The Asus Transformer 14" seems to be the closest thing, but that's more a tablet than it is a laptop.

I still have time to return my MBP Retina, and as much as I enjoy it, if I could get something similar but with touch screen I could flip over to use as a tablet, I really think it'd be advantageous. Though at this point I'm not sure the performance would be nearly on par, but who knows.

Why the heck do you want a 15" 4.5 pounds tablet? It would crash your knees. Its like holding a TV and finger control it.

nib95

Banned
Why the heck do you want a 15" 4.5 pounds tablet? It would crash your knees. Its like holding a TV and finger control it.

Why on Earth would it have to be that heavy? I doubt it has to be that much heavier than a non touch screen alternative.

tino

Banned
Why on Earth would it have to be that heavy? I doubt it has to be that much heavier than a non touch screen alternative.

You need a giant battery to drive a 15"screen. Anyway working w8 on a 15" giant screen probably result in carpal trunnel symptoms. (j/k)

strata8

The Yoga 13 has a 13.3" 1600x900 IPS screen. Might be a bit small and low res.

maeh2k

The Yoga 13 has a 13.3" 1600x900 IPS screen. Might be a bit small and low res.

Compared to all the 1080p IPS displays on tablets that might seem low, but there aren't that many 13" notebooks with a higher resolution. There's the Asus Zenbook Prime, the Sony Vaio Z (which is really expensive), and soon the Acer S7. Those all have 1080p. As far a I know, that's it. Soon there'll also be the 13" 2580x1600 MBP (rumored to start at 1700$).

For running Windows on a 13" notebook 1600x900 probably isn't bad. Less scaling issues.

giga

Convertibles were not 2.7lbs in 2003. Convertibles I'm pretty sure have never been this thin or light. As someone who used to buy convertible TabletPCs that came with big DVD drives inside, I think I should be aware of this. Laptops used to be a lot heavier and bigger and hotter and louder than ultrabooks.

In fact the Taichi is the lightest of all the convertible PCs announced so far. The Lenovo Yoga which many people think is great weighs 3.4 lbs. The Taichi is also lighter than the Sony Duo (2.9lbs), the MSI Slider (2.9lbs), Toshiba U925 (3.2lbs).

Unless there is a carrier version coming, I don't think the HP Envy X2 has a sim slot.
You're missing the point. I'm saying that 2.7lbs is still too heavy compared to today's best selling tablets. People who want tablets expect 10+ hour battery life and something less than 1.5lbs. That's not happening with convertibles. It's a very niche device that I'm not a fan of at all for those very reasons. Hell, I even think the 3rd gen iPad at 1.44lbs is too heavy.

That's the Transformer Book.

That's a little more like it! Even though they didn't undock the tablet part, I still prefer this over the Taichi. But...

Compared to all the 1080p IPS displays on tablets that might seem low, but there aren't that many 13" notebooks with a higher resolution. There's the Asus Zenbook Prime, the Sony Vaio Z (which is really expensive), and soon the Acer S7. Those all have 1080p. As far a I know, that's it. Soon there'll also be the 13" 2580x1600 MBP (rumored to start at 1700$).

For running Windows on a 13" notebook 1600x900 probably isn't bad. Less scaling issues.

...I may even jump at a lower resolution to get the style of the Yoga. Dat sexy design!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
A complete spec sheet for the Lenovo Tablets:

The Lynx is almost the same with the following differences:
- only a micro usb 2.0 (but the dock it has two full sized ports)
- 8 hour battery (But it's dock has battery and can double that to 16)
- None of the optionals from the tablet 2 (no 3g,4g,nfc nor pen)
- No gps
- No rear camera

- Doesn't support the accessories (the keyboard and the enterprise dock)

A tablet 2 with the lynx dock would be very nice... But of course they are not compatible XD

LOL

Bolded are insainly stupid design choices for a commercial product.
I could see not having them on a business tablet, but not including them in the consumer class product is idiotic.. its like they got it backwards.

tino

Banned
I could see not having them on a business tablet, but not including them in the consumer class product is idiotic.. its like they got it backwards.

If the price is right (w510 level), majority of people won't care about these.

At least they seem to get it right with the Tablet 2. If the leaked $650 price includes the pen, 3g/4g and nfc it will be quite the deal actually.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
At least they seem to get it right with the Tablet 2. If the leaked $650 price includes the pen, 3g/4g and nfc it will be quite the deal actually.

ya but the tablet 2 doesn't have the hybrid keyboard only a docking station keyboard.
if it did the tablet 2 would be one of the best of the launch tablets but the lack of that puts it in the no purchase list for anyone that wants a hybrid.

ya but the tablet 2 doesn't have the hybrid keyboard only a docking station keyboard.
if it did the tablet 2 would be one of the best of the launch tablets but the lack of that puts it in the no purchase list for anyone that wants a hybrid.

Yeah... If i were to buy that tablet i would also buy a keyboard like this: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/ipad/tablet-keyboard-ipad and probably an enterprise dock to leave at my work, so when i arrive i just have to plug the tablet...

But i can see that option becoming expansive, and wouldn't be needed to buy multiple accessories with the tablet had a proper keyboard dock.

When did we find out how much RAM Surface Pro would have?

This is a big selling point for me. I need to do development on my laptop which includes virtualization from time to time... I'd like to have a solution with at least 16 GB of RAM (I'll settle for 8 if there are just no competitive solutions). Still, I'm hell-bent on my next laptop being a hybrid with nothing larger than a 13" screen and nothing less than 1600x900 (though I really want Full-HD).

I feel like all my consessions have been modeled around the Yoga :(

This is a big selling point for me. I need to do development on my laptop which includes virtualization from time to time... I'd like to have a solution with at least 16 GB of RAM (I'll settle for 8 if there are just no competitive solutions). Still, I'm hell-bent on my next laptop being a hybrid with nothing larger than a 13" screen and nothing less than 1600x900 (though I really want Full-HD).

I feel like all my consessions have been modeled around the Yoga :(

If you are willing to go with an not very known manufacturer and don't care about the looks, kupa's ultranote seems to cover all your points:

http://www.kupaworld.com/ultranote.htm

10.1"
1920*1200
Up to 8GB
I believe it is also the lightest of any ivy bridge tablet (Tough, apparently that comes at the price of the build quality being not very good)

If you are willing to go with an not very known manufacturer and don't care about the looks, kupa's ultranote seems to cover all your points:

http://www.kupaworld.com/ultranote.htm

10.1"
1920*1200
Up to 8GB
I believe it is also the lightest of any ivy bridge tablet (Tough, apparently that comes at the price of the build quality being not very good)

Yeah... I saw that one and was trying to burn it from my memories. I think the most apt term used to describe it was "inner beauty". What a dog :(

EDIT: XPS 12 looks promissing but not a big fan of Dell's chrome trimmings and it's a tad on the heavy, thick and expensive (8GB models start at $1400) side.

tino

Banned

I am trying to convince myself now no battery is a "plus". Baiscally you get a lighter package for everyday use.

For camping or international flight, I should be able to find a third party charging solution on ebay. Its more modular. I know its more ghetto... but whatever.

If the HP is the same price I will go with the HP.

popeutlal

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 - is it $650 or $630? Different sites are reporting different prices, same with the release date for it?

Top Bottom