• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Wiktor

If I wanted an ultrabook, I'd get an ultrabook and save my money. The equivalent Zenbook UX31 is less than $1100. You're paying extra to make it a convertible with compromises.

I don't think any hybrid transformer will give you what Taichi will though.
Plus so far all transformers have been crappy budget laptops. We don't know yet if they will be able to match the best ultrabooks quality-wise.

PG2G

Visio will come and save the day :p That said, the W700 seems like an amazing deal for 599 euro. That is cheaper than some of the Atom tablets.

I wonder if it'd be possible for an OEM to put a discrete GPU inside a dock

This would have been impressive if he actually showed something that was even remotely resource intensive.
Everything he did here (photo's, browser, stocks, news) would work just as smooth and fast on an iPad or pretty much any ARM tablet.

Wait a minute. this is x86 though. If you want to see benchmarks on a Core iSeries processor, those exist in spades. That's what the architecture brings to the table. You already know this will out-perform the ARM processors by factors.

giga

Plus so far all transformers have been crappy budget laptops. We don't know yet if they will be able to match the best ultrabooks quality-wise.
They won't, but this isn't what I've been arguing. My main argument all along is that convertibles used as tablets are compromises due to their weight and size. This isn't just because they're convertibles that always need to have a keyboard and chassis attached, but the fact that they use notebook grade, Intel Ivy Bridge chips. 11.6" is also very large for a tablet.

Also, correction to my post. The UX31 is the 13" model. The UX21A (11") is under $1000.

Visio will come and save the day :p That said, the W700 seems like an amazing deal for 599 euro. That is cheaper than some of the Atom tablets.

I wonder if it'd be possible for an OEM to put a discrete GPU inside a dock

With interconnects like thunderbolt and USB 3, it's very possible. I could even see someone leveraging a dock with a micro PCI-E connection but these haven't been the most popular technologies as of late.

I would love to see Visio impress me with a tablet offering. They've failed to do so with their PC and Laptop offerings :(

Taichi was looking like it'll be real sexy until they pissed in the pool with that ridiculous dual screen design. The Transformer Book will save us <3

Wiktor

My main argument all along is that convertibles used as tablets are compromises due to their weight and size. This isn't just because they're convertibles that always need to have a keyboard and chassis attached, but the fact that they use notebook grade, Intel Ivy Bridge chips. 11.6" is also very large for a tablet.

True, but it's not like there's an option without compromises. You say that 11,6" is very large for tablet, but 10" is simply too small for laptop, so any transformer with that size might be a great tablet, but it will be a crappy laptop.
Everything has it's compromises for now, you just need to pick which ones you are willing to suffer through and which ones not.

Wiktor

Taichi was looking like it'll be real sexy until they pissed in the pool with that ridiculous dual screen design.

Huh? It's been dual screen from the moment they've announced it and it's the best thing about it. Niche like hell, but I can see how some people will make use of that, unlike Yoga, which seems like such a pointless design compared to swivel.

giga

True, but it's not like there's an option without compromises. You say that 11,6" is very large for tablet, but 10" is simply too small for laptop, so any transformer with that size might be a great tablet, but it will be a crappy laptop.
Everything has it's compromises for now, you just need to pick which ones you are willing to suffer through and which ones not.
Ultrabook + RT. Sync your stuff through the cloud.

(I find 11.6" too small for ultrabooks. 13" is the sweet spot)

tino

Banned
If you guys want cheaper Atom tablets, I have a feeling they will come next year.

Right now RT tablets are supposed to slot below the Atom tablets; plus all OEM has learnt the lesson from the Netbooks. So they are putting nice conponents in the tablets sell it at higher prices.

But next year, when people figure out real windows tablets are much more popular than the fake ones, they will be more likely to go lower. I expect some Chinese no name OEMs will use LCD instead of IPS screens, take out a few ports and sell it for 300-350.

Huh? It's been dual screen from the moment they've announced it and it's the best thing about it. Niche like hell, but I can see how some people will make use of that, unlike Yoga, which seems like such a pointless design compared to swivel.

I had the Reverse-E3 Moments reaction while watching that video :( At first I was like, sexy and then I was like ewww. All that glass and I'm also I may accidently show the world my shame while I'd doing anything I'm not particularly proud of too :( I mean, what if I&#8217;m responding to a post on GAF telling people how together my life is and the person reading my screen notices I&#8217;m not all that well put together&#8230; that would be crushing and it&#8217;ll be the Taichi&#8217;s fault. I would imagine all that glass and extra driving of a second display wouldn&#8217;t make things easy on weight and battery either. I&#8217;m just not a part of the niche that thinks it cool I guess :(

(I find 11.6" too small for ultrabooks. 13" is the sweet spot)

You like the Yoga too don't you <3

Wiktor

Ultrabook + RT. Sync your stuff through the cloud.

Meh :) I find tablets mostly useless to be honest.
small notebook + smartphone is all I need.
Smartphone is just much more mobille than tablet and whenever I need to do something that requires larget screen notebook is better than tablet.
All I do on tablets is reading pdfs, comics and magazines (not even books, because reading them on a tablet sucks). For that I can even easily go with convertible like I did for the last 4 years. Transformer would be a little nicer, but only if it means no compromise in keyboard quality and comfort of laptop-usage.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
im reviewing the benchmarks on this page...http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69168.0.html
it looks like the best it could do is games from 5 years ago at 30 fps on medium settings.

perhaps you should wait for some benchmarks for the new AMD Z-60 Based Tablets.(Don't get me wrong I'm very curious as well)

They claim to have compairable battery life and specs to the Intel CloverTrail Tablets but are able to play games like modern warefare 2 at medium settings @ 1024x768

I don't think we have a release date for them other then later this fall

Anony

people need to get their expectations straight
you want a full x86 machine with discrete graphics... in that form factor
battery life? heat? size? weight? none of those are factors now?

Chris R

I know, why would people prefer the cheaper option? It baffles me.....

If people only ever bought the cheaper option things like Escalades and Hummers wouldn't exist, people just don't seem to assign the same priority to making sure they get a quality electronic device like they do with their cars. I talk with people buying new computers all the time and more often than not they would rather buy the sub $500 pos laptop and replace it in a year after their machine breaks down than invest $1k+ in a machine that will last for multiple years :|

Animator

What are my options for a tablet pc running windows 8 with a wacom pen and a dedicated gfx card (not the integrated intel gfx shit)?

Anyone else like me at the moment. As of right now I plan to get the surface pro as soon as it's haswell'd up, but IF the reviews coming out this upcoming week and say the type cover sucks, I honestly might just go 3rd party for a pro model (also haswell of course).

The ability to have something that attaches to it that I can type on normally is key for me. And if the type cover sucks then...bah. Would be a tough pill to swallow considering the surface pro will probably remain the best designed if any of the models announced now are any indication.

Parham

Banned
that is without the keyboard if I read that correctly. priced way too high

It is. If you search for the same model number on Amazon or Newegg, it brings up the keyboard-less SKU. Hopefully, that is only a placeholder; every other retailer lists the selling price of that model as $649.

Will you be able to play Football Manager on any of these?

I would imagine most will handle it fine as long as you choose the 'Pro' (full fat) Windows 8 versions. No idea if they'll be optimised, though, as FM for netbooks required an (easy) hack to get the screen dimensions to fit...

popeutlal

Samsung Ativ Smart PC
Surface RT
Shitty Asus Vivo Tab

Are these the only tablets confirmed to be launching with win 8, out are there any other?

Samsung Ativ Smart PC
Surface RT
Shitty Asus Vivo Tab

Are these the only tablets confirmed to be launching with win 8, out are there any other?

The press release from the Lenovo Tablet 2 also said it would launch together with W8 in October...

But Lenovo hasn't said anything (not even the price) ever since, so i dunno.

popeutlal

you're right, the press release states " The ThinkPad Tablet 2 will be available when Windows 8 launches in October." But unlike above mentioned tablets it's not available for pre order anywhere.

Best Buy, Newegg, Frys, Amazon and among others have no mention of the ThinkPad 2.

Yeah, I'm looking for prices for this god damned tablet and can't find anything too.

Hopefully they won't delay it. A friend of mine is going to the US and is staying until November 6. She is bringing one to me, but they need to release it before so I can buy it and have it delivered in time XD

tino

Banned
you're right, the press release states " The ThinkPad Tablet 2 will be available when Windows 8 launches in October." But unlike above mentioned tablets it's not available for pre order anywhere.

Best Buy, Newegg, Frys, Amazon and among others have no mention of the ThinkPad 2.

CDW

:)

JaggedSac

Each MS store is offering a year of Xbox Music to the first 100 people to get a Surface. I personally don't think it is much of an incentive for people to line up at a MS store.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Acer's 23" 10-point multitouch monitor is now available on newegg..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009438

1080p
LED
IPS panel
5ms response
3x USB 3.0 hub

I ordered one.. will be sure to post impressions when it arrives.
is that on a swivel or something? I don't see myself using a standard monitor and reaching up and touching it, I could maybe see something that you can move down where you don't have to reach very far though. Basically be a big ass tablet that you don't have to hold. (that would actually be really nice for sitting in a lazy boy chair or something with a big tablet hovering over it.)

popeutlal

Toshiba announced their Win 8 hardware http://www.techspot.com/news/50564-...up-116-inch-slider-tablet-23-inch-aio-pc.html

and of course just like everyone else, no price our release date.

2012-10-22-image-4.jpg

^That's LG, not Toshiba.

You can see people just don't understand the compromises they're making. Any transformer hybrid less than 11.6" size is going to have a cramped keyboard and be somewhat uncomfortable to type on too. This is just physics.

The Surface Pro with the type cover weighs about 2.6lbs (almost the same as a Taichi). And in most points it's thicker. The Taichi is only 4.8mm at it's thinnest point.

Even in the case of Surface Pro which one could argue is a better "ultrabook" because it's smaller and lighter than a Taichi there's still some significant drawbacks. Surface Pro has a worse keyboard and touchpad, a smaller screen which is not adjustable at all. I'm also hesitant to do a direct comparison because I don't know if Surface Pro has a Core i3 or i5 and I don't know the price.

If I wanted an ultrabook, I'd get an ultrabook and save my money. The equivalent Zenbook UX31 is less than $1100. You're paying extra to make it a convertible with compromises.

If you are in this thread I presume you are in the market for a Windows 8 machine. Any device without touch is a pretty poor choice for Windows 8. If you don't care about touch screen/pen or Windows Store apps then sure there are better values in ultrabooks than the Taichi. If you're considering a Windows 8 convertible then you want something that is an ultrabook first and a tablet second.

is that on a swivel or something? I don't see myself using a standard monitor and reaching up and touching it, I could maybe see something that you can move down where you don't have to reach very far though. Basically be a big ass tablet that you don't have to hold. (that would actually be really nice for sitting in a lazy boy chair or something with a big tablet hovering over it.)

It has adjustable angle, so you could lay it pretty low and type on it directly like a tablet.

I've been using a Dell ST2220T 2 point optical multitouch monitor at work with Windows 8 and it has been pretty good, but it has left me wanting a better touch device without a raised bezel.

I would imagine all that glass and extra driving of a second display wouldn’t make things easy on weight and battery either. I’m just not a part of the niche that thinks it cool I guess :(

You like the Yoga too don't you <3

The Taichi is 2.7lbs. The Yoga is 3.4lbs.

The Taichi doesn't seem to weigh anything more than other ultrabooks and as long as you aren't using both screens simultaneously it should have similar battery life to other ultrabooks. Asus is claiming 5 hours which is the same as the MacBook Air.

Also how is a glass back not sexy? People seemed to think the iPhone 4 looked pretty good.

Top Bottom