• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

I just upgraded my Budget to €1000 which are roughly $1297. Now just hope that the Ativ Smart PC pro price in europe will be ~1000 and I am incredibly happy. i5 and stylus? gimme!

Otherwise I think w700 with i5 is still the best choice for me!

f0lken

As someone who doesn't know much about this stuff, how powerful is the surface pro? Like what kind of games could it run?

Search for HD4000 benchmarks, super intensive games like Battlefield won't run well, but others like Diablo 3 will run without problem with high detail

As someone who doesn't know much about this stuff, how powerful is the surface pro? Like what kind of games could it run?
pre-haswell it could run a bunch of stuff at lower-mid settings depending on the game. Just look up benchmarks for the HD4000. But with haswell it should do notably better.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Yeah, I get the same feeling from RT devices. Have no interest at all.

yep 11.6 might be the sweet spot..I really want to see a CloverTrail review(Samsung Ativ Smart PC specifically)..if they're bad.. MS might as well pack it in.
RT is to disruptive for MS's own good..its just confusing the market when they need to be captivating it.

Ok.. this acer 23" monitor is really nice.

The flush bezel makes a world of difference with regard to the UI gestures.

Connected it to my PC and no calibration was needed.

I think everyone wanting a pro model should wait for Haswell. The difference should be extremely beneficial for these types of form factors. I mean the GPU will enable you to play much more games at better quality but the battery life differences alone make the wait worthwhile.

I think everyone wanting a pro model should wait for Haswell. The difference should be extremely beneficial for these types of form factors. I mean the GPU will enable you to play much more games at better quality but the battery life differences alone make the wait worthwhile.

I would, but I need a new system as of now :/

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

thats why i' looking at the cheaper clovertrail..just to hold me over till next year when the Haswell's are out, then upgrade/handme down it to my family

THere are ultrabooks with dedicated GPU and more are coming.

when those arrive, we can talk about gaming more seriously.

Until then, people need to understand that the realistic limit for gaming on HD4000 at a respectable resolution are games like:

Portal
Team Fortress 2
Coutner Strike
Braid
Bioshock
Defense Grid
Frozen Synapse
Half-Life 2
Bastion
Trine/Trine 2
League of Legends

and similar games that don't push hardware too much. A good selection of games to be sure, but you're not going to be playing Arkham City/Crysis 2/BF3/Diablo 3/Dota2/Borderlands 2 at respectable framerates at any resolution. Even then, expect to get shit battery life. 2 hours? Probably something like that.

Maybe Haswell will start to take integrated graphics to the next level to make those kinds of games playable at medium details and medium resolution. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

scently

Sooo, the Asus Transformer has seemingly disappeared. It seems it became the Taichi and the VivoTab RT. Well it seems my choice is between the W700 and the Ativ 7 Pro.

Raistlin

You really don't. AMD's "efficient" chip is lot more power hungry than Atom, yet gets there by low clock speed (1GHz). Better GPU 3D performance is not what's needed on something like Surface.

But it has optimized BlueStacks

6/10 on software.
4/10 on ecosystem.

Harsh. I'm guessing that's what we can expect from the Surface review.
4/10 on ecosystem, yet it has more tablet apps than Android

Top Bottom