• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Raistlin

While a lot of these devices are sexy ... I just can't bring myself to order one this year.

Both ARM and Wintel are seeing major upgrades next year. nVidia et al will have their Cortex A15-based SoC's available ... and Intel has Haswell. In both cases, we'll get die shrinks, lower power, and significant performance increases on both the CPU and GPU side of things.

Basically these devices are coming out at the EoL for their respective processing architectures. Not to mention, they'll have a year to iron out both form-factors and OS bugs/optimizations.

Just seems like a bad time to buy IMO.

That doesn't count. It's about quantity, not quality. Not that most W8 apps don't suck.
So phone apps count now?

lol

While a lot of these devices are sexy ... I just can't bring myself to order one this year.

Both ARM and Wintel are seeing major upgrades next year. nVidia et al will have their Cortex A15-based SoC's available ... and Intel has Haswell. In both cases, we'll get die shrinks, lower power, and significant performance increases on both the CPU and GPU side of things.

Basically these devices are coming out at the EoL for their respective processing architectures. Not to mention, they'll have a year to iron out both form-factors and OS bugs/optimizations.

not only that, but by the time Haswell comes out for instance, you'll have the lay of the land at your disposal to make your decision. Tons of reviews for tons of different form factors/companies/devices.

maeh2k

Both ARM and Wintel are seeing major upgrades next year.

I'm not sure when I'm going to make the jump, either. But with tech there's always something waiting just around the corner. I think I could get by with Ivy Bridge just fine. Six hours battery life isn't bad. I'm not getting more on my notebook, either. A ten percent CPU speed boost is negligible. GPUs are doubling in performance like every year.

For me it might come down to how long I can hold out with my current machine. (i.e. unless Surface Pro is so good that I really NEED it)

I normally don't play the waiting game, but man, Haswell just seems like such a big upgrade that works so well for these types of form factors that I'm just gonna sit back.

I'm not sure when I'm going to make the jump, either. But with tech there's always something waiting just around the corner. I think I could get by with Ivy Bridge just fine. Six hours battery life isn't bad. I'm not getting more on my notebook, either. A ten percent CPU speed boost is negligible. GPUs are doubling in performance like every year.

For me it might come down to how long I can hold out with my current machine. (i.e. unless Surface Pro is so good that I really NEED it)

It's true that you could always wait for new hardware to come out, but both Haswell and A15-based SoCs are a major leap compared to Ivy and A9-based SoCs, be it in performance or battery life. The Haswell delay sucks, but I still wouldn't buy anything Ivy Bridge-based now, unless it's really cheap.

Raistlin

Please. Its like saying webOS has more tablet apps than android. It doesn't mean anything.
I own a 3 tablets that run Android ... and it's fucking hurting due to lack of tablet apps.

Sorry.

While yes, there's always something around the corner ... both ARM and intel are hitting a 'tick' (of the tick tock strategy) phase early next year.

These are significant updates over Sandy -> Ivy and Tegra 2 -> 3.

Asus Transformer Book previewed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNYFeQZej3s

No discrete graphics in this model, but the dock does include up to 500GB extra storage.

I think this is the Intel Core hybrid to get.

Confirmed specifications
•CPU Core options up to Core i7 3517U
•Full HD 10-point touchscreen. IPS.
•128GB SSD (tablet) + hard drive storage (up to 500GB) in keyboard dock
•4GB RAM
•Micro HDMI (tablet)
•Micro SD (tablet)
•Headset port (tablet)
•Sensors (Gyroscope, compass, accelerometer)
•720p (1.3MP) front cam. Internal mic
•(Optional) 5MP rear-facing camera.

On the docking keyboard…
•SonicMaster stereo speakers
•Backlit Keyboard
•Magnetic charger connector (dock)
•Mini DisplayPort (dock)
•2x USB3.0 (dock)
•Ethernet (dock)
•Full SD port (keyboard)

It's true that you could always wait for new hardware to come out, but both Haswell and A15-based SoCs are a major leap compared to Ivy and A9-based SoCs, be it in performance or battery life. The Haswell delay sucks, but I still wouldn't buy anything Ivy Bridge-based now, unless it's really cheap.

gonna co-sign this one.

my iPad and old TabletPC will have to keep me warm until Haswell arrives.

scently

Asus Transformer Book previewed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNYFeQZej3s

No discrete graphics in this model, but the dock does include up to 500GB extra storage.

I think this is the Intel Core hybrid to get.

The screen size rules it out for me. 11.6 is the ideal size for me.

Anyway, in light of Haswell coming out next year, the possibility of higher resolution screen, higher RAM size and higher capacity SSD, I think I will be settling for the Acer W700 as a temp until the end of next year when I will pick up a hybrid to last me for a while. My currently laptop is crapping out on me and with a new ipad coming out, I need to sell the one I have while it still has value. The money from its sale will help dampen the cost of the W700. Besides I need a new gadget and the W700 will help consolidate the amount of gadgets I have/carry.

popeutlal

So is no one picking up the Clover Trail tablets, I'm seeing such lack of interest for those in this thread, it's either the core i5/7 or the RT tablets.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So is no one picking up the Clover Trail tablets, I'm seeing such lack of interest for those in this thread, it's either the core i5/7 or the RT tablets.
i'll be picking up one. Probably the Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx. Doesn't look like it will hit the market till November or December though. I still want to see reviews of other clovertrails though before I make my decision.

Hello guys. I'm a poster here on GAF and I had a question about development and I wasn't sure if this was the right IRC channel to do it but here goes...

Are any of you developers?

If so, do you plan to do development on Windows 8?

If so, which OS will you be getting? RT or proper 8 or both?

Alos, which language do you plan to develop with?

Do you have any projects planned? Have you started? How long is your project timeline till your release milestone?

Thank you for replies.

- Someone on GAF

Chiggs

Gold Member

Agreed. A lot of people who buy now are going to regret it next year.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
What's the cheapest ivy bridge tab? Acer w700 is $800 I believe, the most expensive clover trail tab is $650/700, cheapest being $500, also from Acer.

on bestbuy.ca
the Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T is 699
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T is 1149

450dollar price difference is huge

buhdeh

apps made for tablets? I guess it's all relative. If you haven't had access to more, you won't know what's missing.

Not really. I have an iPad 3 and N7 and there's nothing that I'd say I couldn't do on the N7 compared to the iPad. Urban spoon is the big one for me but their iPad app sucks just as bad as their Android one.

And the stretched phone apps can be good too. Facebook messenger (iPhone) sucks so bad on iPad whereas the same app on the N7 actually works very well because of its sort of in between phone and tablet size and actually resizes properly. Pretty sure a 10" Android tablet would be a horrific experience though.

This is the pleasure and pain of being an early adopter. Many people are like me who have been holding out a long time and will probably hold on to whatever we get now for at least 18 months, skipping a cycle completely. I'm in a limbo state to be honest with you because I will be starting a new project (for work) soon and just got a spanking new PC. I have like this dead zone of time before a want becomes a need but it's still a guessing game since no one knows when the new Intel chipsets will hit let alone products based on them.

on bestbuy.ca
the Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T is 699
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T is 1149

450dollar price difference is huge

The price is almost as offensive as that nasty plastic texture they keep using :(

moowear

Plan on picking up the slate 5 or thinkpad 2 on release date and then perhaps the surface pro or another i5/haswell next year. Tried one of the asus vivos at bb a few days ago and it was plenty responsive for me. Very nice. I think the clovertrail can satisfy my needs for a tablet w minimal legacy use until the i5/haswells come down in price a bit. don't think I'll mind using a clovertrail for 5-6months?

tino

Banned

I disagree. This year atom not only has fabbing advantage, it also able to get the soc package in a laptop. Windows also for the first time ever, has lost weight slightly. Its the best time to buy Atom.

Don't care about 10+ watt "mobile" chips.

Next year around you probably can get Android and ChromeOS run on even smaller and cheaper ARM Smartbook anyway.

The Asus Taichi gets previewed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXr3FSYTD4

Looks like they've drastically improved the speed of screen switching. And the software to switch displays looks a lot better now.

The 11.6" version will be out next month and the 13" version of the Asus Taichi 31 will be available in December according to Engadget.

The screen size rules it out for me. 11.6 is the ideal size for me.

The Transformer Book is 11.6 inches. It also is going to come in 13.3" and 14" sizes.

Will one of the models have a dedicated GPU?

Asus has said in the past that the larger hybrids would also include discrete graphics in the docks in addition to the integrated Intel graphics in the tablets.

I'm super interested in the Lenovo Tablet 2, but they didn't announced price nor dates, so i don't even know if i will able to buy this year (I have two friends coming to us in early november, both has said that they can bring one for me, and i still don't even know if it will be launched by them XD)

Asus also released a bunch of videos and commercials for their new Windows 8 tablets:

Introducing ASUS TAICHI, Transformer Book, the VivoTab and VivoBook Series

Hearing them say there's a highspeed interconnect between the dock and the tablet for the Transformer book really gives me hope that, if anyone, Asus may be able to make a descrete video card thats bangin for games. I'm already willing to hope on the Transformer book bandwagon if the price and RAM are right though.

Ah, Anandtech is so much better than the verge

That goes without saying, but The Verge already has their review up. Anandtech will have their review up in about a month.

However, the resounding 'meh' echoing across The Verge, Engadget, and other sites which already have reviews up should give anybody pause about Surface and Windows RT.

SeanR1221

That goes without saying, but The Verge already has their review up. Anandtech will have their review up in about a month.

However, the resounding 'meh' echoing across The Verge, Engadget, and other sites which already have reviews up should give anybody pause about Surface and Windows RT.

Engadget didn't say meh?

Totakeke

There's anime to watch on Wikipedia?

PG2G

Anandtech has a Surface review up already

Raistlin

Hearing them say there's a highspeed interconnect between the dock and the tablet for the Transformer book really gives me hope that, if anyone, Asus may be able to make a descrete video card thats bangin for games. I'm already willing to hope on the Transformer book bandwagon if the price and RAM are right though.
That's what Thunderbolt is for. No reason to go proprietary for a GPU interface on x86/64.

scently

The Asus Taichi gets previewed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXr3FSYTD4

Looks like they've drastically improved the speed of screen switching. And the software to switch displays looks a lot better now.

The 11.6" version will be out next month and the 13" version of the Asus Taichi 31 will be available in December according to Engadget.

The Transformer Book is 11.6 inches. It also is going to come in 13.3" and 14" sizes.

Asus has said in the past that the larger hybrids would also include discrete graphics in the docks in addition to the integrated Intel graphics in the tablets.

The Transformer Book now only comes in 13 inches.

Top Bottom