• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
old video but first I have really seen of the hp envy x2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q73dm81DNKY

looks slick.

edit: looks like it has some kind of digitizer as well. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/envy-x2/features.html

Microsoft Store says 1/15 ship date though.

ya the envy x2 looks great...probably the best hardware design for a hybrid so far
but...the pen is optional and doesn't come with it...and it doesn't look like there is anywhere to store it in the base or tablet...which is just frustrating..
Not sure if its a wacom or what either.

its like every OEM has 3 of the 5 pieces of the puzzle but no one company is offering the full complete package

Finally got my hands on a ATIV Smart PC Pro yesterday from LA MS Store. I'll be testing it out for next couple of weeks. Pretty impressive already, although those who want Photoshop OOMPH of a full voltage Core i5 laptop/tablet PC will be disappointed...

Finally got my hands on a ATIV Smart PC Pro yesterday from LA MS Store. I'll be testing it out for next couple of weeks. Pretty impressive already, although those who want Photoshop OOMPH of a full voltage Core i5 laptop/tablet PC will be disappointed...

I would think so too, that's why I'm leaning towards duo 11's i7 for the extra pump. Since I don't do art, the crappy n-trig pen might do ok.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Got my keyboard for the ATIV pro this morning, wow it is heavy for what you're getting.

I think as someone suggested it basically has to be this heavy to counterweight the screen, they've weighted the screen evenly so it feels comfortable in your hands, but on a light keyboard it would have been too top heavy.

Weight is a bit of an issue actually because carrying the tablet around is light and comfortable, but with the keyboard it becomes a pretty hefty, and far less impressive device for the 11" form factor.

The way it all fits together works really well on a desk, the tablet extrudes from the bottom of the case as you open it, raising the back of the keyboard to give you a half decent typing angle. But if you're trying to use it on your lap or while stood up you'll find the screen doesn't rotate far enough back to give you an ideal viewing angle. Overall though the mechanism seems very secure (though not as sexy as the Surfaces magnetic clip).

Trackpad is small but so far perfectly functional, has a really cheap click sound, but you're only using that for right clicks, the edge gestures seem to be working well.

From first impressions I don't think I'll be using the keyboard very often, it adds serious weight to the unit and having the keyboard there makes it harder to use the touch functions of the device. Still, from a competitive point of view, you hook these two components together and you've got a full Windows 8 Pro experience, you've got shortcuts, pointers, copy and paste at your finger tips. So when all I need is a tablet, I've got one, and when I need a laptop, I've got that too. I wouldn't say it's a no-compromise device but it's very very close. For me personally, the fact it has touch makes it a better device than the Macbook Air.

I would think so too, that's why I'm leaning towards duo 11's i7 for the extra pump. Since I don't do art, the crappy n-trig pen might do ok.

LOL, Low Voltage Core i5 and Low Voltage Core i7 is the same damn thing. Full voltage Core i5 in my T902 mops the floor with the LV Core i7 in the Duo 11.

Blackhead

Redarse
Got my keyboard for the ATIV pro this morning, wow it is heavy for what you're getting.

I think as someone suggested it basically has to be this heavy to counterweight the screen, they've weighted the screen evenly so it feels comfortable in your hands, but on a light keyboard it would have been too top heavy.

Weight is a bit of an issue actually because carrying the tablet around is light and comfortable, but with the keyboard it becomes a pretty hefty, and far less impressive device for the 11" form factor.

The way it all fits together works really well on a desk, the tablet extrudes from the bottom of the case as you open it, raising the back of the keyboard to give you a half decent typing angle. But if you're trying to use it on your lap or while stood up you'll find the screen doesn't rotate far enough back to give you an ideal viewing angle. Overall though the mechanism seems very secure (though not as sexy as the Surfaces magnetic clip).

Trackpad is small but so far perfectly functional, has a really cheap click sound, but you're only using that for right clicks, the edge gestures seem to be working well.

From first impressions I don't think I'll be using the keyboard very often, it adds serious weight to the unit and having the keyboard there makes it harder to use the touch functions of the device. Still, from a competitive point of view, you hook these two components together and you've got a full Windows 8 Pro experience, you've got shortcuts, pointers, copy and paste at your finger tips. So when all I need is a tablet, I've got one, and when I need a laptop, I've got that too. I wouldn't say it's a no-compromise device but it's very very close. For me personally, the fact it has touch makes it a better device than the Macbook Air.

I got some hands on with the 700t at a Microsoft Store and you can definitely feel the weight :/. It's as heavy as the Samsung Series 7 Slate I had briefly earlier this year. I hope the ThinkPad Helix design solves this keyboard dock weight/stability issue:

iyrWDn3d35Uok.jpg

ibx87O92a8dT4x.jpg

Edit: the lenovo helix links for anyone interested:
Engadget CN Report and Gallery
Lenovo Thinkpad Helix. FHD, 11.6” Dockable Tablet Shown in China « Ultrabook News
ThinkPad Helix hybrid tablet makes an appearance at Lenovo's Israeli website - Liliputing

Same thing as in relative power envelope. LV i7 will choke on Photoshop along the same lines as LV i5. Full Voltage i5 would destroy LV i7 just as it would LV i5. This isn't conjecture, this is me witnessing it in person.

sure, but the samsung 700t uses i5-3317U, which is the 17w version of i5, not the i5-xxxxM. Performance vice, the i7-xxxxU in the duo would be better than the i5-xxxxU, no??

tino

Banned

Hi is it possible for you the measure the weight and thickness of the keyboard? What other port besides USB? I am trying to fill out the holes on my chart.

Your comment of the keyboard doesn't match what Chickikov said in this post really. I don't know why there is zero information on this type of shit.

Hi is it possible for you the measure the weight and thickness of the keyboard? What other port besides USB? I am trying to fill out the holes on my chart.

Your comment of the keyboard doesn't match what Chickikov said in this post really. I don't know why there is zero information on this type of shit.

yeah, i'm waiting for a proper review of the 700t. However, it makes sense to be bottom heavy to ensure stability in laptop-mode.

Blackhead

Redarse
yeah, i'm waiting for a proper review of the 700t. However, it makes sense to be bottom heavy to ensure stability in laptop-mode.

But then it ends up being heavier than a laptop or slate i.e. the worst of both worlds. I hope the Lenovo Helix design solves the problem if not I'll just have to get a smaller hybrid. What ever happened to that Kupa UltraNote?!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the Envy x2 more expensive than the ATIV and the Lynx Atom hybrids? Why?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

yep no problem I'll weigh it when I get home.

On the keyboard there are 2 USB ports (both USB2), and a power connector.

On the tablet there's 1xUSB3, 1xMini HDMI, 1xMicroSD Slot, 1xSIM Slot (on the 3g Model), 1x combo mic/headphone slot and a power connector (this is on the bottom with the dock connector, so it's covered when docked)

The lack of info is annoying, I think everything is just rushed, I mean look at the box this thing came in:

4b58c25e-8ddd-4788-84e1-3f467c697044.jpg

WINDOWS 8
WINDOWS 8
WINDOWS 8
WINDOWS 8
WINDOWS 8
WINDOWS 8

Jado

Banned
I've had the Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T for about a week now. Mixed feelings about the tablet and Windows 8 running on it.

The screen size is nice, but the large bezel is really to blame for making the device seem huge. It's a little ridiculous/awkward to hold in portrait mode next to something like an iPad or Note 10.1. I don't have any terrible build quality issues, but the back really does feel cheap: it creaks on the left side and with some pressure causes LCD distortion, as mentioned in a Gizmodo writer's impressions. I can see uneven lighting around the edges and corners when the screen displays black, but it looks fine otherwise and at all other times. Brightness, color and viewing angles are all nice.

The resolution is disappointing and makes no sense in the current state of tech. With an 11.6" screen at 1366 x 768, that's a mere 135 PPI -- very noticeable to my eyes, especially reading text on various sites (fuzzy, jagged). My Nook Color (7", 1020 x 600, 170 PPI) has a clearer image and it's a cheap, 2-year old tablet! All quality devices out now (phones, tablets, laptops, monitors) and in the coming months have much higher PPI than this, or they're positioned further away so that it doesn't matter. Some laptops may have similar res, but it's not a big deal in those cases; you don't hold one as close to your face as you would a tablet, and they don't cost $650.

The battery life is fantastic, it fully charges very fast and it boots up in seconds. Haven't noticed any heat or noise.

I set up a homegroup with my Windows 8 HTPC and tried playing several movies and shows on the tablet. Large files were an unplayable mess. Smaller files stuttered, especially when skipping ahead. Initial testing was in the default Video player, with similar results in Media Player Classic Home Cinema. I haven't tested media files natively on the Smart PC, but I'm expecting at least some problems with high bitrate material. Youtube HD is fine however. I installed Steam and fired up Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012, which I thought would run well, but it choked pretty bad just getting to the main menu. But it does decently handle other non-intensive games from what I've read.

The Windows 8 keyboard is terrible after becoming accustomed to SwiftKey on Android (and how keyboards generally work on phones). It's barebones: no predictive text/dictionaries, doesn't pop up when you touch a textbox in desktop mode. Huge and opaque: in landscape, it takes up far too much screen space and you can't see what you're typing most of the time. I'm hoping options pop up in the Store that allow replacing with something far more advanced. Unlike software-specific issues with Firefox or Sketchbook, this is really worth mentioning because it negatively impacts tablet use. Writing with the pen works well in general, but it's naturally much slower than any kind of typing and thus not a replacement.

If I return it, it will be because of the size, subpar resolution, current lack of of apps, and the "rough around the edges" feeling of using Win8 desktop mode on a portable device.

vedderlax11

Neo Member
Just put in an order for the Lenovo Twist (they've got a nice Black Friday discount on Lenovo's website.) I'm a bit worried about the twist mechanism breaking, but hopefully Lenovo's history of making durable machines comes through.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Any other Black Friday discounts you guys know of?

NomarTyme

Seriously considering the ASUS VivoBook X202E-DH31T. Any thoughts ? I had watched two reviews on this touch laptop and they seem to like it. I just want something affordable for every day simple use. Or should I pony up the though a the ASUS VivoBook S400CA-DH51T 14.1-Inch Touch Ultrabook! decision decisions decision!

Blackhead

Redarse
One Possible Explanation for Why Windows 8 Tablets Are Hard to Find | TIME.com
Time said:
Last week, I wrote about how hard it was to find Windows 8 tablets on store shelves, even though Microsoft’s latest operating system launched nearly a month ago.

Here’s one possible explanation: Intel is reportedly having trouble supplying its Clover Trail-based Atom chips to hardware makers. Those chips are featured in several Windows 8 tablets due to launch this year.

The news is tucked into a larger report from InformationWeek about the supposed “disarray” of Microsoft’s tablet plans:
The problem is Clover Trail. Intel just doesn’t have it ready for mass production. Insiders say that, among other things, there’s a problem with the chip’s power management software. Intel ignored my request for a comment yesterday.​
There are some puzzling elements in InformationWeek’s report. The story claims that Microsoft’s Surface with Windows 8 Pro tablet is facing a “delay,” when in fact Microsoft always said it would ship the tablet 90 days after the launch of Windows 8. As far as we know, it’s still on schedule. InformationWeek’s speculation that the departure of Steven Sinofsky is somehow tied this situation seems like a leap to me.

Still, the article rightly points out that pinning down release dates from other tablet makers has been difficult. The Acer Iconia W510, for instance, was supposed to launch on November 9, but retailers like J&R still say it’s in pre-order. Dell originally had a November 13 ship date for its Latitude 10, but now Dell’s website says December 12 at the earliest.

A delay in Clover Trail processors makes sense as an explanation, and looking into it further, this isn’t the first report of problems on Intel’s end. In October, Bloomberg Businessweek reported that Intel was behind in delivering software that conserves battery life in its Clover Trail processors, which in turn caused holdups in Microsoft’s approval process.

Intel’s Clover Trail-based Atom chips are supposed to be competitive with ARM-based processors, the type that appear in most phones and tablets as well as in Microsoft’s Surface with Windows RT. Tablets with Clover Trail inside promise long battery life and support for connected standby, which lets them keep e-mail and other apps up to date while resting. Best of all, they don’t have the software limitations of ARM-based Windows RT devices.

But in the past, Atom has been known for sub-par performance, so potential buyers will need to get their hands on these new devices to see whether they’re adequate as tablets and, in the case of hybrid devices, as thin and light laptops. I’m curious about this myself, as I’ve yet to test any Clover Trail-based Windows 8 computers.

These are still early days for Windows 8, so I’m not sure if “disarray” is the right word to describe the situation. But for shoppers looking to see what Microsoft’s operating system can do, it’s definitely a letdown.

agreed but if you read that statement and change the emphasis ..its not ready isn't actually windows 8 but the processor...i wonder if that was the real context of that statement when it was made

I'm sorry, I should've linked the article again. Otellini was clearly talking about the OS.

"Improvements still need to be made to the software, Otellini told employees at a company meeting in Taipei yesterday, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the meeting was private."

Hence the Bloomberg headline: Windows 8 Bugs Hurt Microsoft, Intel Chief Said to Say
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...g-microsoft-intel-ceo-said-to-tell-staff.html

CaptainABAB

My father-in-law asked about this laptop:

Toshiba L875D-S7332
http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-L875D-S7332-173-Laptop/product_984633
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/892969/Toshiba-Satellite-L875D-S7332-Laptop-Computer/

I don't know anything about this AMD A6-4400M processor but it doesn't seem that competitive with the Intel CPU's. Memory (6GB) looks ok but I would rather he go with an SSD for the hard drive. I may try to push him to spend more and get an ultra book. I need to spend some time with him over Thanksgiving and understand what is important to him (perf, battery, portability, screen size, etc.)

Any recommendations on laptops?

seriously wtf is up with the 700t1c :c it's like not available anywhere, the samsung site lists all near stores as "preorder," and even online stores say it's not available for purchase, what gives? it's not running on the ATOM cpu, so even if there's a shortage on those, that should exclude these tablets shouldn't it?

scently

Was finally able to buy the 700T from Amazon yesterday, from a third party seller but for the same price as Amazon main. Funny enough i bought the last available stock. The prices of the other third party sellers are really high. Lke $300 or more above the usual $1200. Now I can sell off my ipad 3.

Blackhead

Redarse
5 hours? Damn. Is it rare to find an i5 or i7 with 7-8 hours of battery?

Well the Twist is rated by Lenovo for 7 hrs. If you use it for web browsing (constant wifi, screen on, loading pages etc) then 5 hrs is the norm. All Apple's laptops are rated for 7 hrs (except the 11" MBA which is rated for 5 hrs and gets less in use). If you want longer than 7-8 hrs then get one of the thinkpad or viao models that let you customize for a bigger battery. Some of those last days

I wouldn't buy the Twist though.

tino

Banned
I am affair of Dr. Eggman's posts, my officially position is I discourage Dr. Eggman from buying any W8 tablet. Get a Macbook Air. ;)

maeh2k

Hmm, why?

The only thing I'd be concerned about is battery. Apparently it's not that great. Depending on your needs that may not be enough. If you don't mind carrying a charger and have the opportunity to charge it during the day, then I'd say go for it. Price is great.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I am affair of Dr. Eggman's posts, my officially position is I discourage Dr. Eggman from buying any W8 tablet. Get a Macbook Air. ;)

I don't want to sell my spleen for one.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is battery. Apparently it's not that great. Depending on your needs that may not be enough. If you don't mind carrying a charger and have the opportunity to charge it during the day, then I'd say go for it. Price is great.
Alright then, I'll stop by my Staples and see if it's in stock.

Top Bottom