• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

tino

Banned
There is not a penny discount at all. Might as well buy the $600 Samsung 500t.

I am pretty sure I will buy the Atom tablet after the new year.

Can't wait to hear impressions about the Thinkpad Tablet 2. That looks like it will be a really solid tablet if the Intel Atom works well.

I'm also curious to know if the it has a walcom in it. You can get a stylus for it, but I haven't heard if it is or not.

maeh2k

Can't wait to hear impressions about the Thinkpad Tablet 2. That looks like it will be a really solid tablet if the Intel Atom works well.

I'm also curious to know if the it has a walcom in it. You can get a stylus for it, but I haven't heard if it is or not.

I wonder if the SKUs that come without the pen will have the digitizer so you can add the pen later. The 32 GB version is attractively priced at 550 Euros here.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Pretty happy with my 700T, everything works great, it does have fans but it seems like it doesn't really need them unless you're really pushing it, and they aren't that loud anyway. Weight wise it feels like an iPad and a bit, you definitely wouldn't want to carry it around all day, but the weight seems to be distributed so you can hold it pretty comfortably in one hand. I got it without the keyboard to get it sooner, should get the keyboard in the next couple of weeks.

I ran the spec app:

LaddWl.jpg

Kafel

Banned
I have a late late night no sleep rambling one about art for it in my youtube channel (linked page or two ago).

Thx. After 3 bad youtube links I finally found your video. : )

Well I'm interested in the super pricy one "Samsung XE700T1C" with Core i5.

No review on that one ? Heat ? Battery life ?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Heat doesn't seem like a big issue so far, the vents are well placed so it's pretty tough to cover them as they sit in the curve of the device on either side.

Battery life is where these things fall down compared to the atoms, I haven't done a run down or anything but at soon as you unplug it reports 4h30m of life remaining. Only good news in that regard is that I put it to sleep last night, turned it on when I woke up, took 4-5 seconds to get back into Windows and there was no perceived battery drain over night.

scently

Heat doesn't seem like a big issue so far, the vents are well placed so it's pretty tough to cover them as they sit in the curve of the device on either side.

Battery life is where these things fall down compared to the atoms, I haven't done a run down or anything but at soon as you unplug it reports 4h30m of life remaining. Only good news in that regard is that I put it to sleep last night, turned it on when I woke up, took 4-5 seconds to get back into Windows and there was no perceived battery drain over night.

Where did you get it from?

maeh2k

Used the Asus S200E and really want one for my mum's birthday: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/asus-s200e-c157h-11-6-touchscreen-laptop-dark-grey-18893012-pdt.html

Couple of questions though:

1) Should I hold out for the i3?
2) Should I hold out for the S400 with a 14" screen?

Neither are available right now and my mum's birthday is in less than a few weeks. Sigh.

Hold out? Aren't both of those available already?

1) I'm not really familiar with the Pentium, but I'd go with the i3. Doesn't add much to the price (50 Euros) and should be quite a bit faster (20% higher clock rate and graphics performance should be a lot higher since Ivy Bridge > Sandy Bridge).

2) Really depends on what size she prefers. If mobility isn't an issue, I'd prefer a bigger screen.

PSGames

Ok so I've had extensive experience with the surface, ATIV and the VivoTab RT. I'll give a few pros and cons for the ATIV.

Samsung ATIV

Pros:

11.6 screen is amazing on Windows 8. I don't think I can go back to a smaller screen. ATOM seems to be sufficiently fast for basic tasks. The charging cable is twice the length of other tablets. Excellent battery life. The speakers actually facing you is nice. The "quick starter", samsungs replacement for the start menu, is great. I love that the Windows button is an actual button and not capacitive so you don't have to worry about accidentally pressing it while using the device.

Cons:

The ATIV has more glitches than any product I've ever owned (including old Windows Mobile devices). I've had on average 2 or 3 complete freezes each day while owning the device from simple things like surfing the web or playing metro games. That only a restart will fix. Very frustrating. Even unlocking the device is glitchy. Sometimes I can use the Windows button, others it makes me use the power button to wake it up. The screen while nice has a "washed out" look to it compared to other tablets. The resolution is horrible for this screen size. You will see pixels. It comes with bloatware but you can go to settings and reinstall Windows to get rid of everything and recover lost disc drive space. The pen isn't accurate from my usage. I have to tap things several times on the desktop side for it to register I'm trying to select something.

I really REALLY want to like the ATIV! It has the largest screen and offers the full windows 8 experience at a great price!

Out of the three the Surface has been the least glitchy. So if you want a fine tuned experience go with that. The Asus has the smallest screen but also weighs significantly less than the others which I REALLY liked.

At the end of the day I'm still searching for that ultimate Windows 8 device. I hope the Samsung issues are just drivers and they get fixed soon.

Sorry for the briefness. Typed this out really quickly at work.

I wonder if the SKUs that come without the pen will have the digitizer so you can add the pen later. The 32 GB version is attractively priced at 550 Euros here.
That would be really awesome, and I agree that if it comes out at $650 in the US it might be my most wanted tablet.

32GB with full Windows 8 = no bueno.

But yeah, this is what I feel as well. I guess I don't NEED a walcom digitizer, but it would still be awesome to have available.

I suppose I could always get a non-stylus 10in tablet and get the Galaxy Note 2 for my note writing needs.

I think the the optional keyboard for the Thinkpad Tablet 2 can actually be used as a generic bluetooth keyboard, but I don't think it fully docks with the tablet (no battery boost or extra ports, which is a disappointment).

Kafel

Banned
Ok so I've had extensive experience with the surface, ATIV and the VivoTab RT. I'll give a few pros and cons for the ATIV.

Samsung ATIV

Pros:

11.6 screen is amazing on Windows 8. I don't think I can go back to a smaller screen. ATOM seems to be sufficiently fast for basic tasks. The charging cable is twice the length of other tablets. Excellent battery life. The speakers actually facing you is nice. The "quick starter", samsungs replacement for the start menu, is great. I love that the Windows button is an actual button and not capacitive so you don't have to worry about accidentally pressing it while using the device.

Cons:

The ATIV has more glitches than any product I've ever owned (including old Windows Mobile devices). I've had on average 2 or 3 complete freezes each day while owning the device from simple things like surfing the web or playing metro games. That only a restart will fix. Very frustrating. Even unlocking the device is glitchy. Sometimes I can use the Windows button, others it makes me use the power button to wake it up. The screen while nice has a "washed out" look to it compared to other tablets. The resolution is horrible for this screen size. You will see pixels. It comes with bloatware but you can go to settings and reinstall Windows to get rid of everything and recover lost disc drive space. The pen isn't accurate from my usage. I have to tap things several times on the desktop side for it to register I'm trying to select something.

I really REALLY want to like the ATIV! It has the largest screen and offers the full windows 8 experience at a great price!

Out of the three the Surface has been the least glitchy. So if you want a fine tuned experience go with that. The Asus has the smallest screen but also weighs significantly less than the others which I REALLY liked.

At the end of the day I'm still searching for that ultimate Windows 8 device. I hope the Samsung issues are just drivers and they get fixed soon.

Sorry for the briefness. Typed this out really quickly at work.

Thank you very much, I planned to buy a Clover Trail Ativ tomorrow but not anymore.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Haven't had any of those issues with the Ativ Pro by the way, I'll get my keyboard on monday so I'll see If I have any of the dropout issues then.

In other news, I have found that a gorillapod makes an awesome 11" tablet stand

tino

Banned
You know if I can find a decent bt keyboard for the Dell Latitude 10, I may consider that. Logitech do you hear me?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, don't know if I wanna risk the keyboard. Might just get the RT then.

Gaaraz

Hold out? Aren't both of those available already?

1) I'm not really familiar with the Pentium, but I'd go with the i3. Doesn't add much to the price (50 Euros) and should be quite a bit faster (20% higher clock rate and graphics performance should be a lot higher since Ivy Bridge > Sandy Bridge).

2) Really depends on what size she prefers. If mobility isn't an issue, I'd prefer a bigger screen.

Thank you - unfortunately not in the UK right now, only the very lowest model is available... also the US model has SSD, whereas the UK model only has a regular hard drive, booo!

And agreed on both accounts, I'd love a 14" with i3 processor (or better yet, i5 which the 14" comes in) but it just isn't an option at the moment... I'm tempted to hold on as long as possible, but any more than a couple of weeks and I'm going to run out of time :(

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
looks like the thinkpad 2 tablet is delayed till at least 12-31. On the Microsoft store website it says ships on 12-31.

This launch is unbelievably bad.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Thank you very much, I planned to buy a Clover Trail Ativ tomorrow but not anymore.
Well, to be fair, I haven't experienced most of the problem he mentioned. I have had freezes, but more like once or twice over one or 2 weeks than anything. And the pen is fine. The resolution is also similar to an iPad 2, and to me, it is no big issue.

tino

Banned
Dell Small Business & Home Office offers its new 1.5-lb. Dell Latitude 10 Intel Atom 1.8GHz 10.1" Tablet for $649. Coupon code "5$D?1BVB5Q6QL9" cuts it to $599. With free shipping, that's $403 off and the least expensive Windows 8 Pro tablet we've seen. Sales tax is added where applicable.

Features include an Intel Atom Z2760 1.8GHz dual-core processor, 10.1" 1366x768 capacitive touchscreen LED-backlit LCD with Gorilla Glass, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth, 8-megapixel rear-facing camera and 2-megapixel front-facing camera, 2-cell battery, and Windows 8 Pro 32-bit. Coupon expires January 31.

popeutlal

Thats an amazing deal, wonder if BB will carry the Dell tablet, and if they'll price match it. There still isn't any Windows 8 tablet at BB.

Dell Small Business & Home Office offers its new 1.5-lb. Dell Latitude 10 Intel Atom 1.8GHz 10.1" Tablet for $649. Coupon code "5$D?1BVB5Q6QL9" cuts it to $599. With free shipping, that's $403 off and the least expensive Windows 8 Pro tablet we've seen. Sales tax is added where applicable.

Features include an Intel Atom Z2760 1.8GHz dual-core processor, 10.1" 1366x768 capacitive touchscreen LED-backlit LCD with Gorilla Glass, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth, 8-megapixel rear-facing camera and 2-megapixel front-facing camera, 2-cell battery, and Windows 8 Pro 32-bit. Coupon expires January 31.

Unless it comes with keyboard, it's the exact same thing as the Samsung ATIV Smart PC @ Staples for $599. The only real difference being 10.1" vs 11.6" LCD, 1.5 lbs vs 1.6 lbs, and that the Samsung has a pen slot on the body.

tino

Banned
Unless it comes with keyboard, it's the exact same thing as the Samsung ATIV Smart PC @ Staples for $599. The only real difference being 10.1" vs 11.6" LCD, 1.5 lbs vs 1.6 lbs, and that the Samsung has a pen slot on the body.

Well it has full size sd slot and removable battery. But no keyboard at all.

So yah..

And it's shipping already? Or only in december as previously announced?

maeh2k

Do we know how good AMD's "Ultrabook" CPUs are?

The Asus U38N will come with a "Trinity APU A8-4555M Processor" with an HD 7600G GPU. One site says it's a 1.6 GHz quad-core, another says it's a 1.6 GHz dual-core ("1,6 GHz, mit Turbo CORE bis zu 2,4 GHz, 2 MB Cache, 19 Watt TDP").

At first glance, this notebooks seems pretty great. Full HD IPS touch screen. According to some German retailers it's 800 Euros. I'm not quite sure yet if that's credible or if there's a mix-up with the different SKUs. At that price it seems clearly superior to the Vivobook S400. Unfortunaely there's no release date, yet.

Tacitus_

So far I've only seen one touch enabled Win8 machine. Everything seems to be coming out around the middle of December or by next year. What a horrendous launch.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Seriously enjoying my 700t, I have all my programming tools installed and running pretty much perfectly, though I'm leaving svn off until my SD card arrives, feels pretty good to have a complete local development environment on such a tiny device.

And on the procrastination side I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby docked 2 thirds with the Giant Bomb Wii U live stream in the spare third!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i'm confused I wasreading review of the samsung ativ smart pc and they said there is no battery in the keyboard. but the keyboard weights 1.5lbs and doesn't have any of the ports like usb or hdmi

if you compare to HP envy x2 its virtually same weight 1.6lbs and has battery and all the ports in the keyboard part.

does this make sense or did the reviewer get it wrong and the samsung has an extra battery in the keyboard?

Chichikov

i'm confused I wasreading review of the samsung ativ smart pc and they said there is no battery in the keyboard. but the keyboard weights 1.5lbs and doesn't have any of the ports like usb or hdmi

if you compare to HP envy x2 its virtually same weight 1.6lbs and has battery and all the ports in the keyboard part.

does this make sense or did the reviewer get it wrong and the samsung has an extra battery in the keyboard?
It has 2 USB ports.
And while it's true it's quite heavy for having no batteries, it's also easily the best detachable keyboard I've ever used, by no small margin (the connection action leaves a lot to be desired, but that's a different story).

My guess is that a lighter keyboard would've caused balancing issues in "laptop mode".

Really enjoying my Dell XPS 12.

I've spent the majority of my time inside of the Metro portion of Windows 8, and I find it quite awesome.

Love the form factor of a small convertible ultrabook/tablet.

Top Bottom