• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I love Windows 8, it's the hardware that's disappointing (so far.)

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
He can get x230t for this ammount too and it blows away both Air and Twist.

Where did you see the x230t for such a good price? If someone finds me a x230t for 700-800 I'm buying it right now.

maeh2k

Where did you see the x230t for such a good price? If someone finds me a x230t for 700-800 I'm buying it right now.

The cheapest X230t I can find right now in Germany is 1300 Euros. However, there's also a X230i, which is basically the same thing (including the pen) but with a 2nd generation core i3 with an Intel HD 3000. That one costs about as much as the Twist costs here.

maeh2k

PSGames

Fuck this Windows 8 launch is horrible. And the best Microsoft could do for Black Friday was $50 off a second touch cover??

maeh2k

On lenovo.com the black friday deals for the x230t are 919$/999$ for the i3/i5 respecitvely. Probably more robust, nicer hinge, and pen support. Touchpad is probably better on the Twist, though.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, not biting for $999. Might as well just settle with my Surface RT.

tino

Banned
I was going to buy the x230 non tablet. But I couldn't get my credit cards point referal link work. So maybe mext time.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I think the x230 looks better than the Twist aesthetically. I just really wanna be one of the cool kids with a tablet and a PC in one device.

thirty

Banned
is there any way to disable all of the tiles stuff in windows 8 and just use the regular desktop? Metro excellent for tablets and smartphones but its atrocious with a mouse.

is there any way to disable all of the tiles stuff in windows 8 and just use the regular desktop? Metro excellent for tablets and smartphones but its atrocious with a mouse.

The way this word is being used leads me to believe you have no idea what it means. People have spent a lot of time here on GAF just trying to clear up confusion being caused by similar random flippant remarks and while I respect the right for people to have their opinions, certain statements stress the degree of conviction those opinions that less informed readers may think it's fact. This spits on a lot of hard work.

thirty

Banned
are those apps? so you're telling me that on a non touch device users are stuck with this bullshit? theres no classic mode just built in? am I just better off pulling out my windows 7 disc? Metro has no place whatsoever on a non touch device. what was Microsoft thinking?

To the above poster have you used metro on a non touch device? Makes perfect sense on a phone or tablet. in fact its beautiful on phone and tablet. makes sense with a controller on xbox. Makes ZERO sense in the work environment.

maeh2k

are those apps? so you're telling me that on a non touch device users are stuck with this bullshit? theres no classic mode just built in? am I just better off pulling out my windows 7 disc? Metro has no place whatsoever on a non touch device. what was Microsoft thinking?

To the above poster have you used metro on a non touch device? Makes perfect sense on a phone or tablet. in fact its beautiful on phone and tablet. makes sense with a controller on xbox. Makes ZERO sense in the work environment.

If you want to you can completely remove every single app tile from the start screen and only add tiles for desktop apps. You start Windows, log in (which can also be disabled), open any of the shortcuts, which immediately puts you on the desktop. If you want to use the "start menu" to launch another application (either via a tile or via search) just press Win or click in the corner. That way it's basically just a different (better) start menu that displays more applications. You never have to deal with apps and you never really have to use the charms or other edge gestures, either.
If you don't use the Win 7 start menu much, you rarely ever see the start screen.

I run Windows 8 on my desktop and use Windows Phone and currently own no tablets. I'm pretty well informed as a "power user". I mentioned WP(7) also to highlight the fact the app experience there is totally different than on the desktop... it needs to be and your platform will fail unless developers and platform holders alike recognize that... Windows 8 recognizes that hence why metro is extremely usable on desktop without me having to compromise my desktop experience. The attachment to the start button is comical. While there's still some room for improvement, 8 is probably the most solid OS MS has ever released. Will these changes get made? I think so... I'm pretty confident in software's ability to change for the better.

You've said nothing. If you are fine with windows 7 then stay there... many will for a while. There's still over 20% of Windows users still on XP. It only goes to show that people still hold on to old outdated things for as long as possible and will find reasons to convince themselves that there's no benefit to change. It's totally fine. YOLO!

ralexand

100% logic failure rate

Yes, install win7. I'm so freakin' tired of this question. We get it. You hate metro in one form of another. There is no compelling reason to install 8 if you're not interested in the new app model MS is developing to enable more standardized and effective search, multitasking, sharing, syncing etc. No where is it written that you have to upgrade to every new OS. Just spare us the constant moaning about something you're not interested in learning or trying. Hell, tons of people are still running xp. Vote with your pocketbook.

tino

Banned
What advantage does this app have over how the start screen works in win8?

I can point to a shortcut folder. I can type "r" and launch remote desktop. And its dynamic learning, kind of like a Firefox awesome bar. Can the default window do that?

tino

Banned
http://slickdeals.net/f/5563870-Del...:+SlickdealsnetHT+(SlickDeals.net+Hot+Topics)

Latitude ST Tablet
SYSTEM COMPONENTS Latitude ST Tablet Qty 1 Latitude ST, Windows 7Home Premium,Media, 32-bit, English Unit Price $699.00 Estimated Delivery Date 12/7/2012 Buy more, save more. Enjoy additional savings on more memory, processor, hard drive upgrades & more Expires Tuesday, November 08, 2016 View Details - $466.78

Catalog Number: 26 BLCTZ1-PTG

Module Description Show Details

Latitude ST Latitude ST

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium,Media, 32-bit, English

Processor Intel® Atom® Processor Z670 (1.50GHz, 512KB)

Memory 2.0GB, DDR2-800MHz SDRAM, Integrated

Graphics Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 600

Primary Storage 64GB Mobility Solid State Drive

LCDs 10.1" WXGA (1280x800) Wide Viewing Angle LED with Corning® Gorilla® Glass, Pen & Touch Input

Mobile Broadband No Mobile Broadband

AC Adapter 30W A/C Adapter (3-pin)

Camera/Microphone Dual Webcams with Digital Microphone - 1.3MP Front / 5.0MP Rear

Wireless LAN (802.11) And Bluetooth 4.0 Dell Wireless™ 1535C 802.11a/b/g/n And BlueTooth 4.0

Productivity Software No Productivity Software

Primary Battery 4-cell (30WH) Primary Lithium Ion Battery

Hardware Support Services 1 Year Basic Hardware Service with 1 Year Mail-in Service

Installation Standard No Onsite System Setup

System Recovery Resource DVD - Contains Drivers TOTAL: $232.22

Additional Discounts and Coupons Free Shipping! Expires Wednesday, December 30, 2020 View Details Total Price Sub-total $232.22

Shipping & Handling $19.99

Shipping & Handling Discount -$19.99

Tax* $20.60 *Exemptions reflected in final checkout page only

Total Price 1 $252.82

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm thinking about getting the x230 after all. How are these specs?

• Intel Core i5-3210M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
• Windows 8 64
• 12.5" Premium HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 3x3 Antenna
• Intel HD 4000 Graphics in Intel Core i5-3210M Processor
• 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
• UltraNav™ with TrackPoint® and buttonless multi-touchpad
• 320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• No Optical Drive
• 9 Cell ThinkPad Battery X44++
• Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
• Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
• Mobile Broadband upgradable
• 1 Year Depot/Express Warranty

maeh2k

• Windows 8 64
• 12.5" Premium HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 3x3 Antenna
• No Optical Drive

It's great. review

Good screen, keyboard, battery life, build quality. Personally I prefer larger, smoother trackpads, but maybe it's something I'd get used to.
Performance should be great for anything that's not too GPU dependant. It's not a gaming machine.

tino

Banned
Can't use Windows 8 snap on this.

Do I really have to explain to you snap mode is a crippled feature. Its 200 bux. Fuck Snap Mode.

Can you even get a 64BG/2GB Android tablet for 250? No you can't. Do I have to mention the cheap tablets come with Tegra 2?

PSGames

Do I really have to explain to you snap mode is a crippled feature. Its 200 bux. Fuck Snap Mode.

Can you even get a 64BG/2GB Android tablet for 250? No you can't. Do I have to mention the cheap tablets come with Tegra 2?

2GB of ram and 64GB of storage is meaningless when the damn thing can't even run HD video.

I agree Snap Mode could have been so much more but it's still good for what it is.

how is snap mode a crippled feature?

Can't do 50/50 split.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It's great. review

Good screen, keyboard, battery life, build quality. Personally I prefer larger, smoother trackpads, but maybe it's something I'd get used to.
Performance should be great for anything that's not too GPU dependant. It's not a gaming machine.

Awesome. I wish it was touch screen though, kinda got hooked with Jetpack Joyride with my RT, before I returned it.

tino

Banned
So what? The inability to do one thing doesn't make it crippled. I use Snap all the time on Surface - watching video, keeping my music playlist open, etc. I can even do some Flash-based puzzle games in the small IE view while watching a video in the larger view.

If you want some limited side-by-side functionality, go get Toolbox:

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/70e5e6af-017c-47e4-923b-db71bd9110ba

What I really want is watch youtube video and browser website at the same time. Until W8 can do it in Metro UI, its snap mode is pretty useless.

venne

It works great with a touchpad like the Logitech T650.

Mouse? Not so much.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
What are everyone's thoughts on the Lenovo Yoga? Worth the 1k price?

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
What I really want is watch youtube video and browser website at the same time. Until W8 can do it in Metro UI, its snap mode is pretty useless.

Aren't there Youtube apps for that. You can even do that with the Google app.

NomarTyme

• Windows 8 64
• No Optical Drive

I want to pull the trigger on this computer too!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I love the designs of Thinkpads. I still can't decide what to get, I have decided on getting an atom based machine and I think I now want one with a pen. The Thinkpad Tablet 2 looks great, but i'm not so sure about the dock. What I really want is a transformer design, but I don't care for the ones that have been shown so far. If the thinkpad tablet 2's keyboard dock works well in your lap then I might decide on that. decisions decisions decisions.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I love the designs of Thinkpads. I still can't decide what to get, I have decided on getting an atom based machine and I think I now want one with a pen. The Thinkpad Tablet 2 looks great, but i'm not so sure about the dock. What I really want is a transformer design, but I don't care for the ones that have been shown so far. If the thinkpad tablet 2's keyboard dock works well in your lap then I might decide on that. decisions decisions decisions.

What do you think of the Yoga?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I have a weird question. Can I play MS Store games, like Jetpack Joyride, without a touchscreen?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Too big imo and i wouldn't want to carry around the keyboard at all times. btw i think the verge reviewed it.

They gave it a 7.7. It looks good, but might get something cheaper and more durable.

Top Bottom