• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Totakeke

Anandtech has benchmarks of the Qualcomm powered Windows RT Ativ Tab tablet. It definitely wins on performance and battery life, but the charger...

v4KTm.jpg

Ew.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6528/samsung-ativ-tab-review-qualcomms-first-windows-rt-tablet/3

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Coulda swore Eggman was into the Surface so I went back to that thread and read his experience with it..oh god I laughed so hard reading that. Sucks though, I've been wrestling with what to get as well and with the Pro taking it's sweet time maybe I'll head down the Lenovo path as well.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
welp after using the samsung ATIV Smart PC over the holiday break I returned it to Bestbuy.ca today.

Build quality of that unit is just to poor. I was having constant problems with the dock disconnecting..basically you couldn't touch the screen or move it at all or the usb disconnect sound would start and stop over and over.

Im torn what to get now..I want a clam shell hybrid but not sure which is the one to get now.
The HP buildquality sounds better but goddamn why is it 850 to start?

Well for one thing, Surface didn't end up using a 16:9 panel because it's more common. It's the only 10.6" device on the market.

What's your point? They picked 10.6" because of the size of the keyboard. It's still 16:9. They could've went with a similar keyboard size, still be sub 11" and have a better aspect ratio.

Vyer

Definitely the Yoga. Twist's resolution is subpar, and so is the tablet functionality.

You also get 8 gigs of RAM for the Yoga if you get it from Lenovo's website

Well, I was looking hard at the Yoga then today found out I got a free Twist through work. Can't beat free either way. Interested to see how this goes....

Vyer

The auto rotation on this Twist needs a little work. A couple of times there's a hitch as it tries to adjust to the right orientation. Twice it actually kind of locked the system up. After some updates it seems to be working a little better.

The hinge feels pretty sturdy and seems like it would hold up well after extended use, but we'll see.

Kafel

Banned
Those with the Yoga 13 do you plan to play games on it ?

What would be the most beautiful/impressive game this ultrabook would run at enjoyable enough fps ?

(Ivy i5, HD4000 and 8 GB of Ram)

Totakeke

What's your point? They picked 10.6" because of the size of the keyboard. It's still 16:9. They could've went with a similar keyboard size, still be sub 11" and have a better aspect ratio.

The point is that the 16:9 is deliberate for Surface? If they could go for a custom 10.6", why would they be concerned about using the aspect ratio that they actually want?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Those with the Yoga 13 do you plan to play games on it ?

What would be the most beautiful/impressive game this ultrabook would run at enjoyable enough fps ?

(Ivy i5, HD4000 and 8 GB of Ram)

A last gen game probably. It can run Mass Effect 3 at medium at like 20 fps though.

elektrixx

Banned
When I installed Windows 8 I saved the install files on a USB. Can I use the same USB to do a system recovery?

I have 8 installed on two machines but only saved the install data on the second install. Can I use the same USB on both computers or are the files unique?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
saw a surface at best buy. the lockscreen image was set to a black wallpaper so I couldn't tell if it was on and the computer was password protected. yay.

thundr51

Ok, I finally managed to sell my old acer and now I can pick up another tablet. I've got my eyes set on the Acer w700 (i5). Anybody else pick up one of these? Opinions?

MCD

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/vizio-tablet-pc-windows-8-tablet/

iWbjV.jpg

After breaking into the PC market last year, it was only a matter of time before Vizio released its first Windows 8 tablet. The company just announced the Vizio Tablet PC, an 11.6-inch slate running full Windows (i.e., none of this RT business). What's interesting is the combination of specs here: on the one hand, it packs a dual-core, 1GHz AMD Z60 chip, making it among the first Windows 8 tablets with an AMD processor inside. At the same time, it rocks a 1080p display -- not the sort of resolution you'd expect to find on a low-power tablet with a Z-series or Intel Atom CPU. Also, like the rest of Vizio's PCs, this has a Microsoft Signature software install, with zero bloatware. Otherwise, the specs are pretty standard: 2GB of RAM, 64GB of solid-state storage, a 2-megapixel front camera and micro-HDMI / micro-USB ports. Vizio hasn't announced pricing or exact availability just yet, but we hope to get hands-on with this thing very, very soon.

popeutlal

Battery life on this could be utter crap, AMD Z–60 isn't even a SoC, it's pretty much a laptop designed chip. And it uses 4.5W vs. 1.7w on Clovertrail.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Battery life on this could be utter crap, AMD Z–60 isn't even a SoC, it's pretty much a laptop designed chip. And it uses 4.5W vs. 1.7w on Clovertrail.

I'll be curious to see what the weight and thickness are.
How many watts are the i5 tablets using?
I wonder if this is suppose to compete with the likes of the Surface Pro?

zou

I edited the post. That is not my picture, but what I always wanted back then (hence "dream setup"). Those screens are 5 years old and have a higher resolution that the 20" and 30" screens you can buy today. It's bonkers. I'm using a 16:10 22" and two 5:4 17".

Dell still makes those, just fyi. Bought recently 4 more for work, best damn montors ever.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
looks like Lenovo is bringing out a 11 inch Windows 8 version of the Yoga.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/6/3841266/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-11s-intel-core-i5-i7
Lenovo's backflipping IdeaPad Yoga 13 garnered a good bit of praise, but when the company launched a smaller, cheaper version of the touchscreen Wintel laptop, it chose to use the hamstrung Windows RT operating system and an ARM-based Nvidia Tegra 3 chip instead. You won't have to choose between size and capabilities forever, though, because Lenovo's introducing the IdeaPad Yoga 11S today. The Yoga 11S maintains the attractive $799 starting and design of the original 11-incher — adding only a smidgen of thickness and weight — but brings back the Intel Core processor and full Windows 8 operating system necessary to run desktop applications. For $799, it will come with a Core i3 processor, 4GB of memory, 128GB of solid state storage.

It might not get the battery life possible with an ARM chip, with Lenovo estimating a take-it-with-a-grain-of-salt six hour runtime for the 11S, but it does support up to 8GB of memory and 256GB of solid state storage underneath its 11.6-inch, 300-nit, 1366 x 768 resolution touchscreen. Lenovo says the IdeaPad Yoga 11S should arrive in June.

zou

They're still making the 2007 and 3007 series? Did they ever update the panels or are they still 16 ms?

Yeah, they are still actively being produced. Not sure about the panels, but I believe it's pretty much the same it's been before. Which I'm fine with.

Top Bottom