• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just confused if I should settle with an Atom hybrid or just save up and try to get a core based one. The Taichi looks phenomenal, but it's rumored to fucking cost $1500.

eastmen

Banned
I'm just confused if I should settle with an Atom hybrid or just save up and try to get a core based one. The Taichi looks phenomenal, but it's rumored to fucking cost $1500.

What do you want to do with the tablet ? Mabye we can help you out .

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I don't really play games on my PC. I use a Toshiba Portege R835 just to basically do school work, browse the web and watch some HD videos. Not sure if an Atom processor can handle that. Also, I might not be able to do some basic video editing.

Doesn't that tablet feel like a gimmick to you. I admit, I find it sorta sexy but when you really think about it, the weight, the battery life, the thickness, no digitizer... it feels like it has more negatives than positives due to it's design choice.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't that tablet feel like a gimmick to you. I admit, I find it sorta sexy but when you really think about it, the weight, the battery life, the thickness, no digitizer... it feels like it has more negatives than positives due to it's design choice.

True, wouldn't be able to get it anyway due to its insane potential price range.

eastmen

Banned
Well, I don't really play games on my PC. I use a Toshiba Portege R835 just to basically do school work, browse the web and watch some HD videos. Not sure if an Atom processor can handle that. Also, I might not be able to do some basic video editing.

It will play hd videos , it will even let u edit them but it wont be fast at that.

Depends on what people need. Also it has a digitizer . Just doesn't have one for a pen.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds good. How much will the ASUS book cost presumably?

If all you do is browse the web and watch videos then you could just get an RT model. If you're gonna do video editing you'll probably want something with more power. But I'm also not knowledgeable on the advancements of the atom processor so maybe you'll able to do some light editing and things.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
That is really solid. I would totally get that if I wanted an RT device.

EDIT: I wonder how Asus feels about everyone taking their idea.

What craps me up about that Envy is the guy in that video is acting like all the things that device does are so new and revolutionary.

It's a tablet that has a dock, the dock CHARGES the tablet, the dock has extra ports, etc etc etc...all so new and fresh!

:)

Totakeke

Wait for... Haswell?

The Verge said:
Intel's holding its annual developer conference next week, from September 11th through the 13th, and while a certain Cupertino computer company will undoubtedly dominate the news on day two, Intel will also have a few things to reveal. Chief among them is the firm's next-gen Haswell architecture, which is still on track for 2013. Well, actually, it's not merely on track: Intel tells us that at least one version of highly integrated system-on-chip is now slated to have a 10-watt TDP. "It's really the first product we're building from the ground up for ultrabook," a representative says.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/5/3293617/intel-haswell-10-watt-tdp-idf-2012

Talk about killing potential hardware sales right there. :p

dwebo

hopefully that 10w haswell will be at least as fast as a 17w ivy bridge, or you can bet not too many manufacturers will release a device that performs worse in benchmarks than its predecessor, improvements to battery life / heat generation aside

next year's atoms are supposed to be beastly too, with out-of-order execution and jumping straight to 22nm

hopefully that 10w haswell will be at least as fast as a 17w ivy bridge, or you can bet not too many manufacturers will release a device that performs worse in benchmarks than its predecessor, improvements to battery life / heat generation aside

next year's atoms are supposed to be beastly too, with out-of-order execution and jumping straight to 22nm

Wait, the Atom architecture is still in-order? Looks like I'm going to wait for v2 of everything or buy an Air.

They already said in the article that the 10W Haswell won't perform as well as 17W Ivy Bridge.

I think if 10W Haswell perform within 80% of 17W Ivy Bridge, it's job well done, goodbye 7~10W Atom. If Atom 2.0 (Silvermont?) with OoOE and 64bit @ 3W gives you at least 100% increase in performance over 3W Clovertrail Atom, then maybe we can stay the execution.

tino

Banned
The new $299 9" 1920X1200 Amazon tablet is pretty interesting. If somebody can make a good third party keyboard then it would be the cheapest alternative.

I know its Android 2.3 blad blad blad. But I only care about media consumption and remote access performance.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The new $299 9" 1920X1200 Amazon tablet is pretty interesting. If somebody can make a good third party keyboard then it would be the cheapest alternative.

I know its Android 2.3 blad blad blad. But I only care about media consumption and remote access performance.

It's actually supposed to be 4.0

Makes a $199 lower res/bigger screen winRT tab seem more probable.

Makes a $199 lower res/bigger screen winRT tab seem more probable.

Not really. Amazon can sell for that price because the device is ad-supported and locked down to only Amazon content. WinRT tablets have a licensed OS, no ad support, aren't locked down to OEM stores only. The OEM has no ownership of purchased content on the device. When you buy a movie on an Asus tablet Asus gets nothing. Microsoft has said they are not going to give themselves any pricing advantages over their OEMs either.

Something comparable would be if B&N released a Nook running on WinRT that only featured a curated app store and excluded content stores that didn't directly pay to B&N. So for example a B&N tablet running Windows that excludes apps like Kindle, Kobo and only lets you download books/video/music/apps from B&N.

The problem I have with Amazon's approach is that their app store is always going to be a small subset of Android. Android apps are not great for tablets to begin with, but Kindle Fire's selection is even more limited. Kindle Fire only gets a small selection of Android apps and none of the main Google service apps.

popeutlal

So the RT tablets will have a full usb port and the classic desktop with windows explorer....does that mean you can plug in your phone or a usb stick on the tablet and it'll show up as a disk drive in explorer?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So the RT tablets will have a full usb port and the classic desktop with windows explorer....does that mean you can plug in your phone or a usb stick on the tablet and it'll show up as a disk drive in explorer?
I would assume so.

popeutlal

I'd love it if you could, I download loads of stuff on my phone and tablet, I hate using my laptop to transfer files between the devices. Dropbox and other wifi methods are too slow.

Not only that, it also shows up as a disk drive in metro file picker for the apps that can open it.

Wait I thought RT didn't have a classic desktop or allow installing classic desktop applications?

Where have you been? The desktop was always there and every RT device ships with Office 2013 as desktop application. Other desktop applications are not allowed and you can't code Windows RT desktop applications.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Where have you been? The desktop was always there and every RT device ships with Office 2013 as desktop application. Other desktop applications are not allowed and you can't code Windows RT desktop applications.

I didn't think it loaded up the desktop though. I figured it just loaded up a desktop version of Office if that makes any sense. I didn't think you had stuff like the regular file explorer in desktop mode as something you could use.

I'm curious about stand alone desktop applications (the ones you don't have to install, just run)... They will probably not work on wRT, but maybe Ms only blocked installations, and allowed stand alones to run freely? (I wish XD)

On a unrelated note: Here's a video showing Snapdragon S4 running WinRT, the device is a reference design from Qualcomm, but it shows what performance we can expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuIalzzic8c

(I don't know the game they played... It's actually like that or that was some massive slowdown?)

I didn't think it loaded up the desktop though. I figured it just loaded up a desktop version of Office if that makes any sense. I didn't think you had stuff like the regular file explorer in desktop mode as something you could use.

It has a few (if not all) management applications... Paint... Notepad too i guess...

It was always the full desktop, with the file explorer, control panel and all that.

Heck, the first Windows on ARM demo at CES 2011 was the full desktop with Office.

HJO6T.jpg

Pretty funny that the tech demo turned out to be like the final product.

do i want to give pageclicks to pcworld?

The last paragraph:

Regardless, I expect that Windows 8 hybrids will prove to be transitional systems—attractive in their own right, but not the final iteration of mobile personal computing. In one sense, they're the ultimate refinement of the original Tablet PC concept. But pure tablet hardware is improving at a rapid rate, and external keyboards are becoming increasingly capable. Given these trends, we may see only a couple of generations of these hybrids before the market moves toward pure tablet alternatives. Full-fledged laptops will remain the optimal solution for a certain class of users; but in the future, the Windows 8 tablet will be the go-to computing device for most.

Running W8 RTM on the Samsung Slate 7.

OneNote MX is amazing. The radial menu is brilliant and once you get the hang of it you'll wish every individual app/program had its own version.

popeutlal

No one buy an ivy bridge tab this year, intel at their conference just announced that the Haswell chip will use 20x less power and has 2x gpu performance compared to current chipset.

EDIT: its 20x less power when Idle.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
No one buy an ivy bridge tab this year, intel at their conference just announced that the Haswell chip will use 20x less power and has 2x gpu performance compared to current chipset.
when are those supposed to ship? middle of 2013? i'm not sure I can wait that long.

cbox

These articles always assume a tablet's performace with being able to run word documents? What about the rest of us? Designers, animators? They're still toys to us...

kehs

Banned
These articles always assume a tablet's performace with being able to run word documents? What about the rest of us? Designers, animators? They're still toys to us...

I know you can hook up a monitor, but you would you really want to do those tasks on a 10.1 display? The hardware is setup for that primary use.

Top Bottom